Is a fall inevitable?

This thread actually make me curious what the longest anyone has gone on one of the new gen wheels without falling?

I think a year or 2 is possible if you ride safely and follow very boring guidelines.

For me I am always wanting to see the limits of my wheel and do my own testing within reason, but I imagine someone that doesn't have such a nonchalant mindset might be able to avoid falling ever (as long as they stay under 20 mph).

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, tenofnine said:

This thread actually make me curious what the longest anyone has gone on one of the new gen wheels without falling?

I think a year or 2 is possible if you ride safely and follow very boring guidelines.

For me I am always wanting to see the limits of my wheel and do my own testing within reason, but I imagine someone that doesn't have such a nonchalant mindset might be able to avoid falling ever (as long as they stay under 20 mph).

Yeah after a couple of small scares, i've tried to remain as vigilant as possible while still having fun. I have only been riding the MSX for 400km, but most of that has been at high to maximum speed on road and forest terrain. I took it easy until I was sure the 80% power alarm was audible. This was because I had silenced the standard alarms on the Gotway app because they were just too restrictive. I've learned from watching a couple of hard falls on Youtube, that you must respect the beep!!

I know its probably best to recommend use of a full face helmet when riding at these speeds, but i opted for an open face MIPS helmet. It can often be difficult enough to hear the beep with 30 to 40mph wind in your ears, let alone having your ears covered by a helmet. I'd rather know when to back off and prevent a fall, rather than protect against an inevitable fall.

• Upvote 1

While it is possible to never have a fall, by not having one you kind of set yourself up to falling more severely later.

Only by accepting everytime you ride that you might fall this time, will you be cautious enough to stay on the wheel.

I don't mean it's inevitable, or probable, just don't ever for a second think you won't or can't. Then you have a chance.

I've fallen three times. Once at 1000km, once at 3000km and once at 8000km.

I'd say all of them were directly or indirectly a result of overconfidence and poor sight.

First one was going over a slight recess in the pavement, while leaning to do a turn, and with straight legs. Rookie mistake. The sudden drop with straight legs immediately screws up the ride. Solution, never again riding with straight legs.

Second was at dark. Didn't see a speed bump. I had been doing tricks for an hour and felt super confident. Boom, on the ground. Solution: reduce speed proportional with lack of visibility.

Third one was just bad luck. I was trying to squeeze through a parked bus and the curb almost on one leg with one pedal retracted. I didn't see the damn side mirror hanging down at the end and hit my head on it. Solution: always keep an eye on the ground and another eye in front.

Poor visibility and/or overconfidence is what always gets me. I try not to go there. I'm approaching a personal 10.000km ridden.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2019 at 6:18 AM, Mimolette said:

My two EUC falls: 
- People on one side, public kick scooter lying down on the other. I thought the EUC pedal was high enough to go over the scooter handle, but no. I sort of just ran off the EUC. (helps being prepared for the fall)
- Bike-lane suddenly just joins trafic, I keep too much away from the cars and pedal smacks the sidewalk edge. Had a second to fall half controlled backward.

But you didn't hurt yourself? 

On 7/16/2019 at 3:35 AM, alcatraz said:

While it is possible to never have a fall, by not having one you kind of set yourself up to falling more severely later.

Only by accepting everytime you ride that you might fall this time, will you be cautious enough to stay on the wheel.

I don't mean it's inevitable, or probable, just don't ever for a second think you won't or can't. Then you have a chance.

I've fallen three times. Once at 1000km, once at 3000km and once at 8000km.

I'd say all of them were directly or indirectly a result of overconfidence and poor sight.

First one was going over a slight recess in the pavement, while leaning to do a turn, and with straight legs. Rookie mistake. The sudden drop with straight legs immediately screws up the ride. Solution, never again riding with straight legs.

Second was at dark. Didn't see a speed bump. I had been doing tricks for an hour and felt super confident. Boom, on the ground. Solution: reduce speed proportional with lack of visibility.

Third one was just bad luck. I was trying to squeeze through a parked bus and the curb almost on one leg with one pedal retracted. I didn't see the damn side mirror hanging down at the end and hit my head on it. Solution: always keep an eye on the ground and another eye in front.

Poor visibility and/or overconfidence is what always gets me. I try not to go there. I'm approaching a personal 10.000km ridden.

But riding with straight legs IS ok on straight sections, right? 

50 minutes ago, interpreterdotcourt said:

Only if you know its perfectly smooth, but I would not see why locking your legs completely straight would help at all, you can keep them straight while still a tiny bit bent. 

Re the main question on first post: I never fell in +4 years, until I tried a ramp jump which was too high to do without Kuji Pads, so we sort of landed together, but not in the right feet positions... 

So it is possible not to fall if careful enough. 

Edited by Jean Dublin
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, interpreterdotcourt said:

Don't do it. Unless you are riding on a race track (and even then .... Sebring anyone?) there will always be slight bumps. Maybe you didn't hit them the 49 times you passed, but the 50th you are 5 inches more to the left and you hit it, and off you go. Add to that that those straight smooth sections will have you riding faster and you know what will happen ....

• Upvote 1

On 8/25/2019 at 8:17 PM, interpreterdotcourt said:

But you didn't hurt yourself? 

Luckily no, first one I saw coming, sort of ran off, the second was slow and I made myself fall on the behind. Not much hurt :)

Had my first bad fall yesterday.

Going way too fast (25+ mph...I've been riding for a month) down a narrow corridor that was fenced on each side. Hit a divot in the road that I didn't see and caught air, and then landed. I think I would've recovered however I landed pointed toward one of the fences. I couldn't course correct in time and smashed into the fence, then the ground.

Smashed up my hips pretty bad but my wrist guards, elbow and knee pads did their jobs.

• Like 1