Going airborn on one wheel, the physics.

FlyboyEUC

Wanted to start a "how to" thread now that EUCs have really "taken off" 😉. What are the Dynamics of a wheel in air? How should you take off? Land? Foot position? Bent knees? These are things that I'm interested in learning/sharing. Please comment with your experience taking flight on an EUC and things that you have noticed help you.

Going airborne is better when the wheel ride mode is set to HARD. The softer the ride mode, the more difficult it becomes to stick the landing. For example, the original Solowheels. They are so ridiculously soft that jumping off curbs with them often leads to wipeouts.

That's funny because my wheel is set to learning mode... I'll have to try it on hard.  @RoberAce do you or all1x1 have any input? (I'm not sure if you are the same guy or not) 

I think getting air on an EUC is one of the easier and safer things you can do on an EUC, the important think is that you don't lean even a tiny bit backwards on the jump, otherwise the wheel just shoots out from under you.

If you just pretend there's no jump or drop, you can probably safely drop off as high or higher than waist high, and even the shock of landing will be minimal if you just drop and squat along with the wheel.

Careful catching your pedal on the curb if you don't drop at 90 degrees, and be especially careful not to catch the rear of the wheel on the lip of the curb (I've done both and crashed terribly).

All1x1 y RoberAce son personas distintas, All1x1 tiene una Kingsong Ks16s, Mten y Z10 Rota, y RoberAce tiene una Kingsong Ks16s que ya casi no usa y una Z10 que la usa a diario, saltos RoberAce no hace y All1x1 esta empezando ahora y muy bien, yo llevo tiempo saltando y tengo algunas guias en mi canal de Youtube e Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/reciodvd?r=nametag

http://www.youtube.com/c/JavierRecio

7 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

Wanted to start a "how to" thread now that EUCs have really "taken off" 😉. What are the Dynamics of a wheel in air? How should you take off? Land? Foot position? Bent knees? These are things that I'm interested in learning/sharing. Please comment with your experience taking flight on an EUC and things that you have noticed help you.

The only problem is the "speed difference" build up while airborne - the wheel has "some angle" and still tries to balance by accelerating/decelerating. Like if you hold the wheel in the air. So with the "wrong" angle the wheel can start spinning backwards or if it accelerates too much for too long it will cut-off (like when it reaches with lifting the max lift cut off speed). Afair one had some probs doing tricks/jumps with an airwheel, because it shut off too early...

Never tried, but imho the time while beeing airborne is short enough so the differences get "compensated" once one is on ground again... hopefully;) ... if not you have to actively try to get the wheel balancing you again ...

I haven't jumped much, and I think @Demargon is the Spanish dude that might have some answers.  @Flyboy10 I've seen your videos, you seem to be jumping just fine.

From what I have seen, and what I understand about EUC dynamics, the key to an uneventful landing is not to change the angle of the wheel in flight, and stay close to the pedals (nothing worse than landing on the wrong part of the pedal) .  You can simulate a wheel jumping (sort off) by powering it on and then picking it up.  If you pick it up vertcally the wheel will barely spin.  Get an angle on it and away it goes.  Even when the wheel changes speed during the jump, as long as it hasn't gone into high speed reverse, the adjustment to actual road speed only takes an instant and is barely felt amidst the drama of landing.

17 hours ago, Smoother said:

you seem to be jumping just fine.

I have been...(knocks on wood) but I wondered if anyone else had any tidbits of info.

Im taking notes because im terrified to go off curbs. I see everyone do it, but i've lifted my wheel before and it spins a billion miles per hour the moment it leave the ground. I dont want any of that while im on it. Also, the wheels so damn heavy, it plonks down, even when i try to hop it. (No idea how ian from speedy feet does it on every wheel) and i land mad heavy on the pedals a few milisecond later. But for that time, im in the air, alone, lmao. Wheels just chillin below, and that doesnt inspire confidence. I want to stay connected with the wheel not fly off the pedals. 

23 minutes ago, seage said:

Im taking notes because im terrified to go off curbs. I see everyone do it, but i've lifted my wheel before and it spins a billion miles per hour the moment it leave the ground. I dont want any of that while im on it. Also, the wheels so damn heavy, it plonks down, even when i try to hop it. (No idea how ian from speedy feet does it on every wheel) and i land mad heavy on the pedals a few milisecond later. But for that time, im in the air, alone, lmao. Wheels just chillin below, and that doesnt inspire confidence. I want to stay connected with the wheel not fly off the pedals. 

There is no problem going down a curb - the little spinning up/down does not matter (or at least never did when i do it :ph34r:). The only danger is that the pedal touches the curb if one goes down a curb at a too shallow angle!

The knees should be bent to perform as shock absorber...

If you feel uncomfortable doing this start with small curbs and slowly work your way up!

Do you just ride down, drive straight off? Or do you hop? When you go down do you straighten your legs to stay with the pedals? Or or or or? I have so many questions and all the videos ive seen never really seem to explain it properly and its all too fast. Ive gone off smaller things, but im always airborne for a sec. 

40 minutes ago, seage said:

Do you just ride down, drive straight off? Or do you hop? When you go down do you straighten your legs to stay with the pedals? Or or or or? I have so many questions and all the videos ive seen never really seem to explain it properly and its all too fast. Ive gone off smaller things, but im always airborne for a sec. 

You dont hop, you just ride down it. Once you roll over the edge and are about to fall you sink your center of gravity as if you are squatting and that will let you stay on the pedals

8 hours ago, seage said:

Ideally, you bent your knees before passing the curb such that your center of gravity is already on the down level before the wheel starts to descend. Then you just follow the wheel it's down path by straightening the knees and may even push the wheel down such that it makes ground contact again as soon as possible or even all the time (if you go slowly). This has several advantages: you cannot lose the wheel descending down away under you, you can keep ground contact the maximum amount of time, the wheel axle doesn't have to absorb the body down-acceleration when landing, because the body didn't accelerate downwards (if you keep pushing the wheel down all the time).

I try to mentally prepare myself for going down a curb or stairs as if the edge(s) were a bump that I have to smoothen with my knees.

29 minutes ago, Mono said:

Then you just follow the wheel it's down path by straightening the knees and may even push the wheel down such that it makes ground contact again as soon as possible or even all the time (if you go slowly).

This is exactly what I do, and what I've seen other riders eventually do if they've owned the wheel for some time.

It seems very counterintuitive to me, to push a wheel down, but no, it works to minimize the shock of landing into two separate drops; one for the wheel and then one for you dropping into the wheel after it's hit the ground.

I call it the "double bounce" method.

However, I've also done the "butt bounce" whereby I'm coming to a drop ("argh I can't do it"), for some reason chicken out, lean backward while dropping, and that's the end game.

Archived