Jump to content
gotmotion2016

ACM revieuw after 7000 km

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Congratulations on hitting the 7,000 milestone! :cheers: I'm about a week away from hitting 4,000 on my ACM2. Totally agree these are little warriors that do way more than anyone should reasonably ask of them.

Edited by winterwheel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great Post.  Good to see some high mileage reviews.  

Just curious @gotmotion2016, is yours the ACM2, I want to think it is cause the controller says ACMs+ but I've also heard unless it has a fan you can't know.

Also, did you use a cover when riding in the rain to protect the power button and usb port/charging port.  Good to know it's handled so much without a hiccup.  

glad I didn't trust this site: https://www.electricunicycles.eu/gotway_acm16_2017_review_an_ugly_surprise-c__268

otherwise I would have missed out on a great wheel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Heyzeus said:

Great Post.  Good to see some high mileage reviews.  

Just curious @gotmotion2016, is yours the ACM2, I want to think it is cause the controller says ACMs+ but I've also heard unless it has a fan you can't know.

Also, did you use a cover when riding in the rain to protect the power button and usb port/charging port.  Good to know it's handled so much without a hiccup.  

glad I didn't trust this site: https://www.electricunicycles.eu/gotway_acm16_2017_review_an_ugly_surprise-c__268

otherwise I would have missed out on a great wheel.

they are kingsong fanboys famous for bashing all things gotway lol.. and that board is the older acm+ board not the new acm2 board (tesla) you can tell from this image by looking at the capacitors, also you dont need a cover its waterproofed enough the way its built unless it gets literally submerged (has been done lol) but interested in what gotmotion says as well thats a lot of mileage

Edited by Rywokast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was that @Rehab1 who took his ACM scuba diving

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2019 at 3:30 AM, winterwheel said:

Congratulations on hitting the 7,000 milestone! :cheers: I'm about a week away from hitting 4,000 on my ACM2. Totally agree these are little warriors that do way more than anyone should reasonably ask of them.

Thank you winterwheel. You're ACM is risilient too, snow - ice - freezing cold is what he have to handle.

Congratulations already, because the 4000 is almost there:cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Heyzeus said:

Great Post.  Good to see some high mileage reviews.  

Just curious @gotmotion2016, is yours the ACM2, I want to think it is cause the controller says ACMs+ but I've also heard unless it has a fan you can't know.

Also, did you use a cover when riding in the rain to protect the power button and usb port/charging port.  Good to know it's handled so much without a hiccup.  

glad I didn't trust this site: https://www.electricunicycles.eu/gotway_acm16_2017_review_an_ugly_surprise-c__268

otherwise I would have missed out on a great wheel.

Thank you Heyzeus, good that you didn't believe the crap she write on there site.

I agree with Rywokast that they look like kingsong fanpeoples.

They don't sell gotway at all, to judge a wheel by its appearance and probably less then a 100 km ride is not smart.

For me the wheel has proved it self, by what i wrote.

No, in rain don't cover anything. Just ride and ride and ride.

The wheel looks good to me, after 7000km inside a bit dust, no rust or other things to worry:)

Hope you enjoy the ACM for a long while, and can enjoy it a much a i did/do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went on my longest ride to date, 22km.

Getting better at riding at higher speeds without wobbles.  Hit 44.8kmh at one point but then slowed it down to under 40.  Used to get wobbles around 35kmh, now I can consistently ride at around 38 without wobbles.  

I love being able to go 30kmh up a hill.  It's great how much power this thing has.  I have yet to feel like the wheel was holding me back, it seems to be able to do more than i'm comfortable doing which is great.

Have to be careful not to get overconfident though.  I imagine i'm at the sweet spot for when injuries happen, knowing enough to be comfortable which breeds complacency yet not enough experience yet to handle the unforeseen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@gotmotion2016 congratulations.  That tyre you took off has more tread on it than the semi-slick tyre I have been using.  I bet there was another 1000km in it.  Still it's done now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great report @gotmotion2016. And the inside looks nice and clean :thumbup:

I have always said that the ACM is my favorite general purpose wheel. It's a little tank :), and I was disappointed when Gotway stopped making it.

I have two ACM2's, and although I will probably never accumulate the distance you have (because I split my riding between lots of wheels), I'm hoping that I can still be riding them years from now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 9:49 PM, Rywokast said:

they are kingsong fanboys famous for bashing all things gotway lol.. and that board is the older acm+ board not the new acm2 board (tesla) you can tell from this image by looking at the capacitors, also you dont need a cover its waterproofed enough the way its built unless it gets literally submerged (has been done lol) but interested in what gotmotion says as well thats a lot of mileage

Nice collection of wheels that you have there (in your signature) :cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Nice collection of wheels that you have there (in your signature) :cheers:

all of the wheels i have owned, sadly, not all of the ones that i currently own haha if only i didnt live in an apartment and had as much space as you :P currently ninebot, ks16s, v5f, v8, mten3, rockwheel.. hoping for the ks16x and i can relegate the ninebot to the parking garage bike storage if i can find a way to lock it up lol

Edited by Rywokast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/17/2019 at 6:19 PM, Marty Backe said:

Great report @gotmotion2016. And the inside looks nice and clean :thumbup:

I have always said that the ACM is my favorite general purpose wheel. It's a little tank :), and I was disappointed when Gotway stopped making it.

I have two ACM2's, and although I will probably never accumulate the distance you have (because I split my riding between lots of wheels), I'm hoping that I can still be riding them years from now.

Thank you Marty!

Partly because you're postive comments about the ACM  i bought this little tank.

It's more clean then i expected, because i ride it in al kind of conditions.

Hope to get a least the duble range out of it.

But with 2 other wheels and more wheel to ride that must be possible.:)

Edited by gotmotion2016

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My ACMs+ is approaching 2000KM now and also zero problems. Its been a great wheel which has done a lot of mountain climbing and trail work without any complaint. As a newbie (2000km ago!) I am so glad I picked a 1600WH ACMs+ as the 84V power and range have been very rewarding. Lovin it.

 

The only issue lately has been a slight shudder during starts (high torque) which feels like a soft mosfet or voltage sag but I really am not sure. At speed and on hills at speed she is as smooth as silk. I'd appreciate any feedback from others whom have shudder during starts as that first 10 feet doesnt feel as 'secure' as it used to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Peter Le Lievre said:

My ACMs+ is approaching 2000KM now and also zero problems. Its been a great wheel which has done a lot of mountain climbing and trail work without any complaint. As a newbie (2000km ago!) I am so glad I picked a 1600WH ACMs+ as the 84V power and range have been very rewarding. Lovin it.

 

The only issue lately has been a slight shudder during starts (high torque) which feels like a soft mosfet or voltage sag but I really am not sure. At speed and on hills at speed she is as smooth as silk. I'd appreciate any feedback from others whom have shudder during starts as that first 10 feet doesnt feel as 'secure' as it used to.

I suspect the your control board is slightly loose (tighten the 4 corner screws) or the screws that attach the pedal hangers to the shell are loose. Both are easy to check and fix if necessary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Peter Le Lievre said:

OK Marty.

So I took the covers off my ACMs+ and found everything looked pretty good. No burnt wires, no nasty corrosion (from those wet rides) no nothing..................except the 6 screws holding the case to the pedal hangers were loosened on each side. About 3 or 4 had backed out quite a few turns.

So I tightened them and check the tightness of the main axle bolts (21mm) which were TIGHT.

I put her back together and HEY PRESTO! No more shudder on takeoff. Smoother than new. Turbine smooth. Smooth as a baby's......  How smooth??

So 2000KM and only a couple of loose screws. Still happy.

THANK YOU MARTY!! You nailed it. Now ready to join you all for a ride .

 

IMG_5848 (2).JPG

Good news :thumbup: Gotway really should apply thread locker to the screws. I see this happening so often, including on my wheels.

I've always been happy with the shell seals on the ACM. Always nice and clean inside whenever I open them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes the ACM shell is awesome! Sturdy, no known weak spots, surprisingly good water and dust proofing, works very well as mudguard:thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Yes the ACM shell is awesome! Sturdy, no known weak spots, surprisingly good water and dust proofing, works very well as mudguard:thumbup:

Just much too wide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mono said:

Just much too wide.

The width is one of its best features for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, winterwheel said:

The width is one of its best features for me.

I didn't know it's that bad otherwise :P

What is the advantage of a wider wheel? It certainly increases the chance of pedal scraping and catching in multiple ways. It's more difficult to avoid obstacles, the pedals are closer to passed objects and the pedals get closer to the ground in curves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feels more stable, matches my preferred stance. At the risk of offending pretty much everyone :shock2: it feels a bit feminine to me to ride with my feet closer together on narrower wheels. When I ride other wheels I ride with my feet positioned as far to the outside of the pedals as I can; ACM2 I don't have to do that. As a city wheel and winter wheel ACM2 can't be beat. I have no problems at all turning or avoiding obstacles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, winterwheel said:

Feels more stable, matches my preferred stance. At the risk of offending pretty much everyone :shock2: it feels a bit feminine to me to ride with my feet closer together on narrower wheels. When I ride other wheels I ride with my feet positioned as far to the outside of the pedals as I can; ACM2 I don't have to do that. As a city wheel and winter wheel ACM2 can't be beat. I have no problems at all turning or avoiding obstacles.

There you go, you just offended all the men in this Forum ;)

I always thought wide wheels gives more agility. Since I cut my teeth on the ACM I've always enjoyed riding wide wheels. Never had understood all the fuss people make over thick side pads, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My ACM has been sitting with a flat tire since May while I play with all these pretty KingSongs.

Now that winter is coming I can't wait to get that fixed and back on my little ugly duckling of a wheel.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I always thought wide wheels gives more agility. Since I cut my teeth on the ACM I've always enjoyed riding wide wheels. Never had understood all the fuss people make over thick side pads, etc.

I am not sure what agility means. Does a wheel give more agility when we increase the distance between the pedals to 1m?

I can see that the leverage for tilting the wheel increases with a wider stance, but there is only little force needed to tilt the wheel. Maybe the advantage is that it is easier to keep the wheel precisely upright?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...