ACM revieuw after 7000 km

gotmotion2016

I'm not really a theory guy, I just do stuff and hope for the best:blink1:, but after many thousands of kms on various wheels I have a couple of thoughts.

An (obscure?) turning technique that I call scissor turns applies very much in winter, a little bit in summer when slaloming. This is turning by actually 'scissoring' the legs, which is to say to turn left pull your left leg back and push your right leg forward, opposite of course to go the other way. In winter this technique is great because it allows you to orient the wheel around turns with a minimum of leaning, which of course would be an instant crash on ice. In the summer adding a little bit of this helps to do some very hard carving when slaloming at speed. I find this technique easier and more precise to do with a wider wheel. 

Also for me, a lot of turning -- again, at speed -- is simply pushing down on the pedal on the side I want to go, letting up a bit of pressure on the opposite side. I feel like there is a lot finer-grain control when doing this when the wheel is wider.

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mono said:

I am not sure what agility means. Does a wheel give more agility when we increase the distance between the pedals to 1m?

I can see that the leverage for tilting the wheel increases with a wider stance, but there is only little force needed to tilt the wheel. Maybe the advantage is that it is easier to keep the wheel precisely upright?

I don't know. It's hard to quantify, but I feel that the wider stance makes it easier to twist and turn a wheel.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, winterwheel said:

My ACM has been sitting with a flat tire since May while I play with all these pretty KingSongs.

Now that winter is coming I can't wait to get that fixed and back on my little ugly duckling of a wheel.:)

And my ACM has been sitting with a flat for the last couple of months too. I think the valve stem separated from the tube. I need to get around to replacing it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

And my ACM has been sitting with a flat for the last couple of months too. I think the valve stem separated from the tube. I need to get around to replacing it.

I can see signs of falling out of love.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 8:59 AM, Marty Backe said:

Spoiler

If you run a low tire pressure with all that power, the tube will wander around and break free of the stem. 

Even though its a pain its worth checking your tire pressure at least every other month. Otherwise its an even greater pain to split the wheel to change the tube.

I find my ACMs+ is  a totally different ride with 60PSI than with 30PSI. Fast, responsive and better range. However it is also more bumpy and a little twitchy at speed so adjust to suit. Unlock your 'other' wheel and pump up your tires please!

Edited by Peter Le Lievre
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Peter Le Lievre said:
  Reveal hidden contents

If you run a low tire pressure with all that power, the tube will wander around and break free of the stem. 

Even though its a pain its worth checking your tire pressure at least every other month. Otherwise its an even greater pain to split the wheel to change the tube.

I find my ACMs+ is  a totally different ride with 60PSI than with 30PSI. Fast, responsive and better range. However it is also more bumpy and a little twitchy at speed so adjust to suit. Unlock your 'other' wheel and pump up your tires please!

Agreed. I never run my wheels with low pressures. I usually run them at the maximum pressure listed on the tire sidewall. For the ACM, that's 45-psi.

23 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I never run my wheels with low pressures.

I like 50 psi for all sizes I've ridden: 14, 16, 18 inches. Over a period of about 3 months, the pressure gradually, imperceptibly lessens daily. Then when I restore the 50 psi, it feels rock hard and unstable! But only for a few minutes.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Agreed. I never run my wheels with low pressures. I usually run them at the maximum pressure listed on the tire sidewall. For the ACM, that's 45-psi.

For winter riding I let the tire pressure soften up somewhat. 

Now my KS 18S again after 2 years load for the full 100% , repaired by 1radwerkstatt I had 4 wheels.
That was quite a lot, someone from our app group was looking for a used wheel.
Given that the ACM was the oldest wheel with the most km's, I decided to sell it to him.

The KS 18S had driven less than 500 km, the msx is the newest (almost 4000 km on it), and also a monster on the operating table.

The ACM  is sold with the agreement that if I regret it, I can buy it back.
But the KS and the MSX are such fine wheels that I'm afraid the ACM is gone forever.
The fact remains that I think the ACM is a very nice wheel, and I have enjoyed 7500 km of it immensely.

It was my 1st "real" wheel, with great speed and great distance possibilitys.

Partly due to flawless functioning, my faith in gotway and myself on a wheel is great.
I wish all (ACM) riders many nice kilometers!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2019 at 10:28 AM, winterwheel said:

I am putting a knobby tire onto the ACM2 this winter, at least to start, to see how that changes the ride.

Just as an update to this. After putting the tire on the ACM2 we had a bit of a hiccup putting it back together, so it needs a bit of repair work now to get it running. But it caused me to realize that there isn't much value to the community at large in riding that wheel this winter since it is a discontinued model. So hopefully I'll be doing a bit of experimenting the the ACM2 here and there if and when we get it running,...

...but my main wheel for this winter -- at least to start -- will be an 18XL. I might switch to a 16S though, as I have two of those and can test two different tires; not sure if I want to put two wheels through winter conditions though, we'll see.

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 1