V10/V10F - Overload still an issue or solved?

Beowolve

• 1 month later...

I wonder if I'll manage to overload the V10F with all my 63kg - provided suitable hills exist around Stockholm where I live.

Everyone who managed to get the overload warning with a recent firmwarewhat was your rider weight and the duration of the climb?

I remember that in @Marty Backe's video here, his friend struggled to get his V10F to get him up big time. He mentions his weight being 90kg however, and this climb although fantastic looking is pretty relentless. Yet the similarly priced Tesla performs flawlessly in comparison. 

I have about 1500 miles on a V10F (purchased ~Apr 2019) which I often rode at the edge of the beeps re: speed, and I have never encountered the overheat warning that some have (where it makes you get off). Now I only weigh ~150 lbs and don't tend to ride straight up mountains for no good reason, but I did earn most of those miles while temporarily living in the southeast including some extremely hot and humid ambient temperatures in the summers.

I imagine it's gotta be some combination of rider weight + inclines + aggressive acceleration + ambient temperature + perhaps when it was manufactured (if there have been any improvements there), where the V10F handles most of these things ok but too many/much of them in combination can push it over the limit.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1

I replaced the silicone heat pad between the mosfets and the heatsink with mica and paste with the proper screws and nylon bushing after drilling and threading the 6 holes in the heatsink. I'm now getting maximum board temperature riding the wheel reported by the inmotion app of 48C or 118F. I never noted the before temperatures.

What are stock V10F wheels with latest firmware recording for maximum board temperatures? Just curious whether it made much of a difference.

I never had an overheat get off alarm but I've never stressed it going uphill for any long time. I'm 260 pounds - 120kg so I'm at the maximum load of the wheel. I'm using the most recent firmware release.

Edited by Hal Farrenkopf
highlight question
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2019 at 11:52 AM, Seba said:

Don't go for V10. Trust me - 650 Wh battery will soon become an annoying limitation for you.

Pity I read this only after almost 1500 km on a V10. :-) But then, I have another reason to buy a new wheel. :D 

As for overload and overheat - I didn't had any issue with it. The highest temperature I've seen was 65°C after going up a really steep offroad hill (steep enough so it is really hard to climb without pads, ambient air could be about 20°C and it was in a forest). I don't know if it would go higher or not and by how much (probably yes, at least a bit), as there was no more to climb. A friend ended up with a fried Z10 on the same hill (although he weights more than me). And the only times I heard an overload beep has been when hitting a nasty big pothole or speedbump while already at the onset of tiltback speed. But my weight is about 60 kg, so YMMV.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Zopper said:

Pity I read this only after almost 1500 km on a V10. :-) But then, I have another reason to buy a new wheel. :D 

As for overload and overheat - I didn't had any issue with it. The highest temperature I've seen was 65°C after going up a really steep offroad hill (steep enough so it is really hard to climb without pads, ambient air could be about 20°C and it was in a forest). I don't know if it would go higher or not and by how much (probably yes, at least a bit), as there was no more to climb. A friend ended up with a fried Z10 on the same hill (although he weights more than me). And the only times I heard an overload beep has been when hitting a nasty big pothole or speedbump while already at the onset of tiltback speed. But my weight is about 60 kg, so YMMV.

It's hard to give a generic answer as to recommended battery size. But based on the offerings provided in the market, more people than not want larger batteries so that they can go on long rides. Every single person that I've met that started with a small battery wheel couldn't wait until they bought a high capacity wheel.

It's great that you've been enjoying the V10. Clearly you're not long distance rider so this wheel is perfect for you.

And regarding overheating, it's primarily an issue for people who weigh substantially more than you.

Iv owned my v10 since september last year and never overpowered it, i weigh just under 15 stone  and regularly have to ride up steep hills as i live in the countryside, zero issues! never had a temperature warning either but i do live in the UK :D

Edited by Dave Wood
  • Like 2

On 8/4/2020 at 5:36 PM, Marty Backe said:

Every single person that I've met that started with a small battery wheel couldn't wait until they bought a high capacity wheel.

It's great that you've been enjoying the V10. Clearly you're not long distance rider so this wheel is perfect for you.

Yes. “Buy the biggest battery you can afford” is a good advice. As for my distances - I began with V5f and I wanted a better wheel for the same usage - city commuting. And it would be still just fine for that. But little did I know that I would soon hear the call of the woods and the range will be an issue again...

Also, I would have at least double the mileage if I wasn’t at home office since I bought it. A good part, maybe most of the 1500 km, is on paths, trails, and terrible roads. Definitely not what I was buying it for. :D 

On 8/4/2020 at 5:36 PM, Marty Backe said:

And regarding overheating, it's primarily an issue for people who weigh substantially more than you.

I know. But some data are better than no data.

• Like 3

On 8/5/2020 at 1:42 PM, supercurio said:

Since I live close to the hill where @Nils has his V10F overheat / overload twice I went there and tried to reproduce the condition.

My new, unmodified V10F passed the test without issue as I completed the climb 7 times. The temperature reported wouldn't go higher at the top.

Unfortunately I made a small mistake and started the climb a few meters higher but kept all the higher grade goodness. 

It was a warmer day (+15°C) than during @Nils test but I'm a lot lighter at almost 30kg lower rider weight.

I've just learned riding tho and discovered in the process that I enjoy climbing a lot! Now I'm gonna try to ascend all of Stockholm's hills 😁

Great to see you get out there, thanks for the vid! :) And very good riding considering you just started - those conditions will always present a good opportunity to practice but you seem to have got a good hang on it with the knees being bent, etc. As you said in the video, it's hard to say exactly what the conditions causes the problems, but for me I'll say weight and riding style would probably be the two most major ones. With the V10F for me it was always beeping about one thing or another, and I got the overload pretty often when I was just riding "normally" in city settings.  For others it's apparently never an issue, so YMMV :)

• Like 1

I don't believe they have fixed it totally.  My control board just burned up while I was not even riding it.  I leaned the wheel up against my truck and was getting on my gear when I heard "overload get off" as the wheel fell and brick'd itself.  It must have shifted and was leaning into my tire or the curb, either way it should not have burned up the control board...  Mind you this wheel is only 3 months old.   SAD

46 minutes ago, Darren0128 said:

I don't believe they have fixed it totally.  My control board just burned up while I was not even riding it.  I leaned the wheel up against my truck and was getting on my gear when I heard "overload get off" as the wheel fell and brick'd itself.  It must have shifted and was leaning into my tire or the curb, either way it should not have burned up the control board...  Mind you this wheel is only 3 months old.   SAD

And you fan is spinning? MY v10F have failure and not spin fan (bad temperature sensor) If you not hear noise fan you need RMA to change board. You can test it use heardryer and warm up pasive coler around tire (deflate tire first!) watch app if you reach 65 celsius and no fan 100% spin is fault like mine.  After you V10F is repaired sell this and take ks16X(is v10f on steroids)

I have done about 900km since May/April(?) on the V10F, haven't got any overheating / overload message yet. Although i ride pretty conservative since i had two cutouts on my V5F so im still cautious, so average speed is 25km/h. (climbing up to the 36ish lately as i get more confident in it)

My daily commute consist of 12km of bike paths with steep ramps of up to 20~25% grades and underground tunnels.

My ambient temperature in my region is an average 35  Celsius /60~70% humidity, typical board temperature rarely tops 45 Celsius and i don't charge at my office so i usually ride for 3 or 4 days before charging. 

No warnings so far, but will update if i encounter anything or when i hit 1000km.

• Like 2