V10/V10F - Overload still an issue or solved?

Beowolve

Hi all,

I couldn't find out if the overload problem is still existing or not, can someone bring some light to this topic?

The thread about this wheel is quite long, hard to find out that's why I created a new one. That overload problem deserves its own thread anyway.

thx

Ordered my v10f 2 months ago (still hasn't come) but I've done SOOOO much research and turns out that YES, much of the overloading issues have been solved with the new firmware updates. If you're a relatively light rider, you should be absolutely fine. I might be wrong... but this is what I know based on seeing other people's opinion on YouTube.  I've noticed, much of the overloading issues happened around June and July both on the forums and on YouTube. The've recently died down; it's quiet. Maybe that's a good thing :P

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ok thats exactly what I noticed too. Everone is quiet about that, so it seams to be fixed but no real confirmation.

My weight is about 75kg, not lightweight but also not heavy *g*.

Guess I am going for it anyway, it's by far the cheapest wheel of the newer ones I can get in europe.

www.onewheel.be (best price I have found so far)
V10: 1059€
V10F: 1339€

KS18L: 1867€ (at eunicycles.eu)

Z10: 1949€ (at funshop.at)

2 hours ago, Beowolve said:

Guess I am going for it anyway, it's by far the cheapest wheel of the newer ones I can get in europe.

Don't go for V10. Trust me - 650 Wh battery will soon become an annoying limitation for you.

• Like 3

Yea, if you're going to get a V10, get the f version. For the weight of the wheel, you need torque.

I've also noticed that the V10(f) got mostly negative first impressions at first. Since summer of 2018, people stopped reviewing the V10 because there was already a solid opinion formed about it (heavy, overloads)etc... But since then, INMOTION has fixed most of the issues and people didn't change their opinion on the V10. It's honestly an AMAZING wheel, very comparable to the KIngSong 18L(XL). I bought it because it has everything I'm looking for in a wheel.  I only weigh 60 kg too...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Seba said:

Don't go for V10. Trust me - 650 Wh battery will soon become an annoying limitation for you.

It's a bit unfair to compare the V10 with V10F/Z10/KS18L.  The estimated autonomy of the V10 is 35km, while the others add an additional 10 to 15km to it.

The added autonomy however reflects itself in the price : the Z10 is almost the double of the v10 price.  So if you're happy with an autonomy of 35km, and on a tighter budget, the v10 might be a nice fit for you.   

But indeed, the pricing/range ratio gives the V10F the advantage.

• Upvote 1

I was riding with @1Wheeler a few days ago and he says his V10F still overloads. Maybe @maltocs can chime in too.

I'm pretty sure it's a non-issue unless you you'll be doing mountain trail riding or any other riding with lots of hills.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Beowolve said:

I’m the same weight and I’ve got the overload only once during 3000+ km and I was really pushing for it. Don’t worry about it. Most likely you will never experience it. The wheel will just protect itself and won’t overheat. 

It’s an issue for heavier guys riding on mountains. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

I’m the same weight and I’ve got the overload only once during 3000+ km and I was really pushing for it. Don’t worry about it. Most likely you will never experience it. The wheel will just protect itself and won’t overheat. 

Thanks for the infos, good to have a forum like this!

On 1/23/2019 at 10:14 AM, Harold Farrenkopf said:

As far as I understand, the overload problem has not been solved. I’m 260 pounds and I bought it because it said it could handle that mass. I am very cautious of not pushing it hard to prevent overloading it. I want a fix still. 

my  V10 haven't such problem,  factory date around Sep-20-2018, 

just bluetooth sounder will lost during other bluetooth passthough, after i changed to new bluetooth board, then everything is good.

i like ride off-road, it's great.

On 1/22/2019 at 10:48 PM, UniVehje said:

I haven't ridden my lately due to the weather, so I don't know whether there's any new firmware come out recently that magically helped with the overloads. That being said I don't ride mountains but have still managed to get overloads on multiple occasions with my V10F, all during what I would consider rather modest riding, so YMMV..

• Like 2

I received my V10F in December.  It was new and had already been sent back for waterproofing.  The firmware was updated when they did the recall.  I bought it through Jason at ewheels...

So far my experience has been overwhelmingly positive...  The wheel is as smooth as butter with no overloads or any other hiccups.  I am tall at 6'2" and rather slim at 165 lbs.  The great thing about the size of the wheel is that it fits my center of gravity nicely and the pedal height is awesome.

I am riding in "Comfort" mode, one of the two choices you get in the app.  I adjusted the pedal resistance so the ride was somewhat less stiff.  

There are some hills around my house and those hills partly drove me to upgrade from my V5F, which just couldn't handle them.  The V10F does slow down a bit when climbing the hills but does make it to the top.  These are residential hills in West LA and nothing like the mountain trails the V10F had issues with during testing.  For riding residential areas, commuting on busy streets or tooling around bike paths it's been a joy to ride.

One thing though is I seem to have a mental block when it comes to going fast.  My top speed on the V10F has been 16MPH on a deserted bike path.  My average speed is around 8 MPH.  I don't think it has anything to do with the wheel - I think it's just rider trepidation.  I'll feel a little chatter and slow down immediately...  I'm hoping with more practice I'll calm down, power through those moments and average greater speeds...for no reason at all, mind you.  I don't have to go fast and I'm not racing anyone.  But I do want to go on a group ride one of these months and don't want to be an anchor dragged along by other Gotways..."cough" riders... ;)

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:29 AM, Beowolve said:

Ok thats exactly what I noticed too. Everone is quiet about that, so it seams to be fixed but no real confirmation.

www.onewheel.be (best price I have found so far)
V10: 1059€
V10F: 1339€

KS18L: 1867€ (at eunicycles.eu)

Z10: 1949€ (at funshop.at)

Try

1radwerkstatt.de

Price for Z10: 1749, Euro!!!

KS18L: 1899,-

KS18XL coming this week, ask for Price..it will probably be better than the competiton...

Contact the shop by Email, if you go for a KS Wheel and tell him you are coming from me (Ulf)….you might get a Bonus.

Have fun…..

Edited by US69
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2019 at 11:40 AM, US69 said:

Try

1radwerkstatt.de

Price for Z10: 1749, Euro!!!

KS18L: 1899,-

KS18XL coming this week, ask for Price..it will probably be better than the competiton...

Contact the shop by Email, if you go for a KS Wheel and tell him you are coming from me (Ulf)….you might get a Bonus.

Have fun…..

Thx US69,

that Z10 price is definitly the best right now.

The main problem is not the price itself, it is to convince my wife that 40km/h is safe and that I need more power to drive safe. However a lower price makes that task easier as well :D.

The KS18L would be my prefered wheel but this wheel has it's own hardware problems and for me that locked wheel thing is more problematic.

For me, my V10F have a lot of overloads. I drive @ minimal 6 km per day, 110Kg, always when I try go a little fast on street mountain, he pool me back and I need to stop for an second. This is sux, can be dangerous on street, I drive on the bike lane.
Its last firmware.
Lets see next version if that will be fixed.

Cheers

On 2/4/2019 at 3:05 PM, Beowolve said:

KS18L would be my prefered wheel but this wheel has it's own hardware problems and for me that locked wheel thing is more problemati

I can promise you that this wheel lock doesn’t occure anymore on the latest versions. Even on earliest versions it was a very, very small percentage of wheels that had the problem at all.

Convincing your wife:

It is like having a Ferrari :-) It can go 280kmh...but you never drive it all time :-) 

15 hours ago, US69 said:

Convincing your wife:

It is like having a Ferrari :-) It can go 280kmh...but you never drive it all time :-) 

Well, I wouldn't mention a Ferrari as an argument, at least it not something that's likely to convince my wife ;)

2 hours ago, Nils said:

Well, I wouldn't mention a Ferrari as an argument, at least it not something that's likely to convince my wife ;)

Haha, If I tried that she would think that I am in the midlife crisis.

Wait, she allready does that I anyway, so I could just by a new "muscle" euc and later argue that I am in my midlife crisis, accept it. :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2019 at 5:44 AM, Marty Backe said:

I was riding with @1Wheeler a few days ago and he says his V10F still overloads. Maybe @maltocs can chime in too.

I'm pretty sure it's a non-issue unless you you'll be doing mountain trail riding or any other riding with lots of hills.

Can you send me more detail info? I just asked our engineers about the problem that the overload issue has been solved a couple of months ago. The extreme test will be a different thing if you keep climbing hills for hours.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2019 at 10:14 AM, Harold Farrenkopf said:

As far as I understand, the overload problem has not been solved. I’m 260 pounds and I bought it because it said it could handle that mass. I am very cautious of not pushing it hard to prevent overloading it. I want a fix still. 

@Harold Farrenkopf Hello, is it still overload? Can you send me the details? 

4 hours ago, Liamfind said:

Can you send me more detail info? I just asked our engineers about the problem that the overload issue has been solved a couple of months ago. The extreme test will be a different thing if you keep climbing hills for hours.

That's news to me, but excellent if true of course. This suggests that it would have been resolved via a new firmware, but what version exactly would this be?

16 hours ago, Liamfind said:

@Harold Farrenkopf Hello, is it still overload? Can you send me the details? 

How was it resolved? Please give details of the fix. How will my V10F be modified so that the overload condition doesn’t happen? It has not happened to me because I have ridden it like an old woman drives a car. I want to know how the heat of overload is removed without any hardware fix of heatsink size. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

How was it resolved? Please give details of the fix. How will my V10F be modified so that the overload condition doesn’t happen? It has not happened to me because I have ridden it like an old woman drives a car. I want to know how the heat of overload is removed without any hardware fix of heatsink size. 

Yes, doesn't seem likely given all the previous observations here on the forum, does it? Well see what @Liamfind says, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the "fix" would be the previous introduction of classic mode or something like that. It's definitely not only something that happens for mountain riding guys.