KingSong are too loud in comparison to other wheels !?

Fnape

Hello, i recently wanted to bought an KingSong, as it look like the new "best wheel" i mean like the gotway but safer and faster

but after reading some review like this one  http://electricunicyclereviews.com/start-here/electric-unicycle-reviews-brand/King-Song-14inch-520wh-Self-Balancing-Electric-Unicycle-Review

i wanted to check if the sound will be annoying for me so i just watch some video  :

https://youtu.be/Ylgt1j2NV9M?t=10s

https://youtu.be/dn_NBKwVhgg?t=46s

The constant "wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" looks so loud, does other wheels make sound like this too ?

Any KingSong user can tell if the sound feels annoying while driving with ?

thanks and sorry for my horrible english

@Fnape Thank you for reading my review :)

I felt the same way when I discovered the sound of the King Song. "What is this noise?" My conclusion has been, the sound of the King Song has a lot less variation than the other unicycles I own and have tested. What I like about that is, it fades into the background like a sort of steady white noise. I'll try to describe it in text:

King Song: eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeEEEEEEeeeeeee

Ninebot: WeeeeeooooooooooohhhwweeEEEEEeeeoooooohhhhhhweeeeEEE

So, like @Donafello says, every uni has a distinctive sound, kind of like every car has a sound. They both make a sound, but the King Song is much more steady.

I'm a blender salesman by trade, and because I've blended so much ice in different proportions and variations I have an intimate relationship with the sound of a struggling motor :) To me the King Song sounds like it has power to spare, compared to nearly all other unis I've tested and owned which all sound like they're sort of struggling. That's one reason King Song is my favorite.

If you have the music all queued up on your phone (preferably Ride of the Valkyries) then you can play it as you approach pedestrians that are blocking your route. Much better than a finger bell in my opinion. :)

I just recently connected my kingsong to the phone. I never thought riding and playing music could be so cool. Before when i was riding, people would say, wow this is so cool. Now that i am riding with music they say : this is sick! ( in a good sense). They look  totally shocked unable to say anything else-  its priceless...

and by the way, kingsong is not loud at all. Its quieter than ninebot

All PWM electric motors seem to have some whine, even my Prius whines and you can hear it when the gas engine isn't running, especially on regen braking. There was discussion somewhere on the forums months ago about how the design of the controller can affect whine. Basically, the closer the waveform is to a sine wave the less noise the motor makes. Here's a page talking about the issue: https://www.electricbike.com/sine-wave/

My 14-inch wheel makes a louder whine than my Firewheel, which is quiet enough that I can often sneak up on people even on quiet nature paths. B)

• 1 month later...
On September 21, 2015 at 1:38:21 AM, Cloud said:

I just recently connected my kingsong to the phone. I never thought riding and playing music could be so cool. Before when i was riding, people would say, wow this is so cool. Now that i am riding with music they say : this is sick! ( in a good sense). They look  totally shocked unable to say anything else-  its priceless...

and by the way, kingsong is not loud at all. Its quieter than ninebot

I haven't tried that yet and wasn't going to, but my curiosity has to be satisfied. So, is there any certain way to connect the the phone and the wheel- anything in the app that has to be done? Figured I would ask to save time. Thanks.

50 minutes ago, BobbyDee said:

I haven't tried that yet and wasn't going to, but my curiosity has to be satisfied. So, is there any certain way to connect the the phone and the wheel- anything in the app that has to be done? Figured I would ask to save time. Thanks.

You dont need the app if you just want to connect the phone for music. 

On 20/09/2015 04:08:44, Fnape said:

Alright guys you convinced me :) i'll go for the KS

and no the music isn't a solution, i don't like to play music in street, town, i prefer use earphone, and don't look like  a " rolling box sound"

You really shouldn't be using ear buds or headphones when riding any form of transportation where you are the operator, as it impedes your hearing and situation awareness.  Also depending which country you are from, if caught doing this by police you may even receive a fine.  It is "ok" however to have music playing on a loud speaker.

2 hours ago, Chuts said:

You really shouldn't be using ear buds or headphones when riding any form of transportation where you are the operator, as it impedes your hearing and situation awareness.  Also depending which country you are from, if caught doing this by police you may even receive a fine.  It is "ok" however to have music playing on a loud speaker.

which doesn't impede your hearing and situation awareness, right. And it also doesn't pollute the environment and annoys people who don't care to listen to music possibly even from several sources at the same time, right. /sarcasm, SCNR. 

9 hours ago, Niko said:

which doesn't impede your hearing and situation awareness, right. And it also doesn't pollute the environment and annoys people who don't care to listen to music possibly even from several sources at the same time, right. /sarcasm, SCNR. 

Probably depends on the volume... 

It is common for people to wear ear plugs on motorcycles at the track as they reduce extraneous noise and allow you to better hear the engine.  But listening to music via ear buds is strictly forbidden and you WILL be requested to stop or kindly leave the track.  It's far too dangerous being distracted by music.

3 hours ago, Hank said:

Probably depends on the volume... 

It is common for people to wear ear plugs on motorcycles at the track as they reduce extraneous noise and allow you to better hear the engine.  But listening to music via ear buds is strictly forbidden

maybe where you live, however not everywhere in the world (I am positive about that) and I don't think you have any idea whether this is the case where I live (I am not sure either but have strong doubts). EDIT: I meant on public streets, I don't know much about such rules in motor racing.

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Niko,

Remind me never to participate in a race or track day where you live...  HA!:P

I'll try, but I misread your post, sorry, I didn't understand you were talking about motor racing.  

18 hours ago, Niko said:

Music from earbuds go directly into your ear as do headphones.  Speakers are deemed ok because they are viewed as an external source which do not sit right against the ear.  Meaning if someone shouting at you to gain your attention at any specific situation is more likely to do so if the music is not being fed directly into your ear via headphones or buds.  I advise people to check the laws of their own countries to make sure.  To give some info... Canada and Japan have banned people outright from doing this.  Lots of states in USA have also banned the use.  Although not banned in the UK at the moment, police are required to stop people as and when they spot them.  This is the same for Hong Kong.

Regarding noise pollution.  It maybe annoying to others but there is no law against it unless its between 11pm to 7am (Time frame may differ in your country of residence so again best to check and make sure)

1 hour ago, Chuts said:

Music from earbuds go directly into your ear as do headphones.  Speakers are deemed ok because they are viewed as an external source which do not sit right against the ear.  Meaning if someone shouting at you to gain your attention at any specific situation is more likely to do so if the music is not being fed directly into your ear via headphones or buds.  I advise people to check the laws of their own countries to make sure.  To give some info... Canada and Japan have banned people outright from doing this.  Lots of states in USA have also banned the use.  Although not banned in the UK at the moment, police are required to stop people as and when they spot them.  This is the same for Hong Kong.

Regarding noise pollution.  It maybe annoying to others but there is no law against it unless its between 11pm to 7am (Time frame may differ in your country of residence so again best to check and make sure)

Hopefully people only have 1 earbud in the ear at all times. In that case I don't see a problem w/ earbuds. And regarding music on their EUC's, not for me but maybe for someone else.

On 11/5/2015, 5:58:06, Chuts said:

Music from earbuds go directly into your ear as do headphones.  Speakers are deemed ok because they are viewed as an external source which do not sit right against the ear.  Meaning if someone shouting at you to gain your attention at any specific situation is more likely to do so if the music is not being fed directly into your ear via headphones or buds.

I don't think so. My understanding of the physics, correct me if I am wrong, is that it doesn't make any difference whatsoever where the music is coming from. It might distract you wherever it comes from and it will cover other sounds simply depending on its volume, whatever its source is. Furthermore, in the legislations I am aware of headphones are obligatory to make phone calls while driving, so the earbuds themselves (which can also cover outside noise by themselves) are not deemed to be a problem. It would be kind-of funny to have earbuds obligatory and stop drivers who wear them at the same time. Furthermore, in the legislations I am aware of, hearing impairment is not prohibitive to get a drivers license (while visual impairment is).

Archived