To buy a EUC or a different type of E-Vehicle

Brandon Cohen

On 10/31/2018 at 2:10 AM, Brandon Cohen said:

Haha well, I'm not 100% on the EUC. I really liked my scooter. But that too is a little large for our studio. Just trying to weight the pros and cons. Figured what better place to hear pros than a EUC forum haha.

I have done 25,000 miles+ on electric scooters and about 800 miles+ on EUCs over the exact same routes. Here are some observations of note:

E- scooters were more obtrusive when using public transit than EUCs.

E-scooters were prohibited or at the least questioned when taking into work or public buildings., malls. etc. Trolleying my EUC I have never had a problem taking it anywhere. (neither are allowed to ride in most places but the EUCs have the better argument for permission as a Segway device.)

EUCs are more compatible with pedestrian traffic because of its compact foot print and being more maneuverable.

E-scooters were easier to recover from or run-off or control a fall when things go south

Electrical failures on e-scooters don't by definition cause a crash or get-off like on a EUC.

I feel safer going down steep hills on my EUC than on an e-scooter.

EUCs have greater hill climbing power and range than small e-scooters and are more maneuverable.

The steering column-handlebar on e-scooters gives a "false" sense of security such that riding without any protection becomes the norm. I had one significant fall on a e-scooter going around 18 mph and ended up with a concussion, lots of road rash, and bruises, riding unprotected. I had a unexpected crash on a EUC going the same speed and ended up with a sore thumb and slight scrape the size of a quarter on one knee. I was wearing a helmet, knee pads, and armored MC jacket. People who ride "small" e-scooters are not very likely to wear protection, other than maybe a helmet. 

I can commute on my motorcycle to work in about half the time as riding my EUC, but I choose the EUC when weather and time permit. Riding my EUC provides the greatest joy of any vehicle I have ever ridden! YMMV.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Brandon Cohen and I are in a similar situation. I live about .7 miles from work in a dense urban environment.  I live in a flat with limited space and two small children.  I was also spending too much on Bird and Lime.

My first EUC was the MTen3. It is sitting on a guitar stand right behind me in my cubicle.   It took me 8 minutes to learn, (yes, I timed it) but I had ridden a regular unicycle before.   It is very small, and you can carry it anywhere inconspicuously, people just think it is a cooler or briefcase. You can even push a stroller with it!  I cross the train tracks on the way to work every day; it is no problem.   With the MTen3, I can get around downtown on my lunch hour. I go home, to the gym (it fits in my gym locker), run errands.  It is crazy fun.

I highly, highly, highly recommend ankle guards for the MTen3.  You won’t break your ankles, but out of the various bumps and bruises I’ve gotten (which is not many), virtually all have been on the ankles.  I never ever ride without wrist guards either.  In the winter, I wear a full-blown motorcycle helmet left over from my gas-scoter days in a previous decade, but in the summer I’ll get a motor-cross helmet. 

Going for recommendations, you can't go wrong with a 14D/S, the mten3 is small and fun (though with 10 inches, nothing for tours that aren't your short commute), but the MCM5 is just the coolest 14 incher available in my opinion. Looks great, both trolley handle and cut-off switch, torque like nothing else... (disclaimer: I've never ridden one but **** me if I don't want one:efeeec645d:).

There's also the V5F as a lower price alternative, or the IPS i5 as super-carryable featherweight with limited power and also with a good price.

I'm saying splurge if you can and get an MCM5. Or a cheaper of the above wheels and maybe a 16 or 18 incher in the future:efee8319ab:

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I assume that you meant to say EUC's here, not scooters?

Oops, yes I did mean to say EUC, I've edited it.

3 hours ago, electricpen said:

Where I live broken glass is quite common on the ground on my commute path. Both on the sidewalk and in the bike lane/roads. Due to this I am always more stressed about flat tires than most. The small solid rubber tires on some scooters or the solid urethane wheels on eskates would probably have a longer average lifespan. This is specific to my situation though. I literally see broken glass every single time I ride more than half a mile in san francisco. Many scooters also can get flats though so this only applies as an advantage to some.

I'm probably the least handy person when it comes to fixing things. With that, how hard is it to fix an EUC flat? Also, what's the lifespan of a EUC tire?
While on the topic of lifespan, the batteries are probably 500~ charges? Is it hard to change a battery if I need a new one?

3 hours ago, electricpen said:

They are addictive. Many consider this a plus but it is worth noting that I don't think I have seen many people just stick with the first wheel they bought for more than 1 year.

I didn't consider this at all. I wanted to have a hard cap of $1k, but should I go a little higher and get something nicer, so I wont be as tempted to upgrade?

2 hours ago, paulz said:

You can even push a stroller with it! 

I was thinking how awesome this would be!

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Going for recommendations, you can't go wrong with a 14D/S, the mten3 is small and fun (though with 10 inches, nothing for tours that aren't your short commute), but the MCM5 is just the coolest 14 incher available in my opinion. Looks great, both trolley handle and cut-off switch, torque like nothing else... (disclaimer: I've never ridden one but **** me if I don't want one:efeeec645d:).

There's also the V5F as a lower price alternative, or the IPS i5 as super-carryable featherweight with limited power and also with a good price.

I'm saying splurge if you can and get an MCM5. Or a cheaper of the above wheels and maybe a 16 or 18 incher in the future:efee8319ab:

So many decisions!

I'm going to take some time to read through some of the articles you guys have sent, look into the EUCs suggested and maybe a few others, and try to figure out how much I'm spending in total. I'll reply later tonight or tomorrow with what I think I'm going to get. Seriously, thank you guys so much for all of the responses - I'll be honest if you guys weren't so helpful, it was pretty unlikely that I was going to get an EUC. But now it's happening.

16 minutes ago, Brandon Cohen said:

I'm probably the least handy person when it comes to fixing things. With that, how hard is it to fix an EUC flat? Also, what's the lifespan of a EUC tire?

Not hard, just some work because you have to disassemble the wheel. A tire is good for 2000km, easily more especially for smaller wheels.

17 minutes ago, Brandon Cohen said:

While on the topic of lifespan, the batteries are probably 500~ charges? Is it hard to change a battery if I need a new one?

They don't get bad, just lose a little capacity. After a few hundred charge cycles. 1 cycle is the full range of your wheel, so even for the small battery 14D (420Wh) that would be something around 13 miles, so even only hundred cycles are 1300 miles. Battery concerns are in general overrated, don't worry.

Changing batteries is easy. Plug and play. The annoying part is (again) disassembling the wheel. But naked batteries are not cost-effective, when the time comes you'd really replace them, you can get a much nicer, newer wheel for essentially the same price.

22 minutes ago, Brandon Cohen said:

I didn't consider this at all. I wanted to have a hard cap of $1k, but should I go a little higher and get something nicer, so I wont be as tempted to upgrade?

Only for your commute, unnecessary. General interest in EUCs? Upgrading right away is something that happens a lot and will be recommended by a lot of people here (me included). The world of EUC models is your oyster:efee8319ab: The market is most cost effective at the top end. 16 inches is a nice allrounder size, 18 is a bigger, still allrounder size. Always get the biggest battery size available unless you hate range or the idea of doing longer tours. Choice really depends on what you'll use the wheel for. Also, are you a one wheel guy, or see yourself using two or more for different purposes?

I started like this, too. "How much can they cost, 500?" became "oh more like 1000" and then "I'm definitely staying below 1500" and ended up with 1650:efee612b4b: Worth every penny, regret not getting the overpriced ~2000 slightly bigger battery.

57 minutes ago, Brandon Cohen said:

Oops, yes I did mean to say EUC, I've edited it.

The only time people ever (rarely) replace the batteries is if there's a premature failure. Basically, the batteries will last the lifetime of the wheel.

Tires last thousands of miles. Regarding flats, I recommend (and use in all of my wheels) Slime so that I don't have to patch or replace my tubes/tires.

2 hours ago, paulz said:

You can even push a stroller with it! 

49 minutes ago, Brandon Cohen said:

I was thinking how awesome this would be!

Are strollers rated for 30 mph? Is this something that your kids are going to be discussing with their psychiatrist in 20 years?  :blink: 

This would make a good Moms vs. Dads video.

I have about 60 pounds of children.  (25# + 35#)  I put the two of them in a double-stroller (one in front of the other) and whisk them about 3/4 of a mile to daycare at a jogging speed.  They love it.   The MTen3 has no trouble pushing all of us, even up a small hill.   

15 hours ago, paulz said:

I have about 60 pounds of children.  (25# + 35#)  I put the two of them in a double stroller 

This sounded like a receipe until I read stroller and not boiler.. 

Back on topic, I use my mini pro to take the big recycling bins up the driveway, they weigh about 70kg when full and have poxy little wheels, but it does it hella easy. I look forward to talking the rubbish out now ?

47 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

This sounded like a receipe until I read stroller and not boiler.. 

I laughed way to hard at that. Lol

13 minutes ago, Thai-lad said:

Now you guys are giving me ideas...

This is my mower....  could it become semi-self propelled?

sam_3880.jpg

What in the world is this contraption O.O

18 hours ago, Brandon Cohen said:

So many decisions!
I'm going to take some time to read through some of the articles you guys have sent, look into the EUCs suggested and maybe a few others, and try to figure out how much I'm spending in total.

Welp, I spent all night looking at EUCs and beginner guides. And I have come to a conclusion. I have NO IDEA what to get. Lol. They all seem the same to me. I get that there are different battery sizes, motors, wheels, etc.etc. But they just don't seem that different. TBH I felt the same way with EScooters, except I can't rely off of thousands of Amazon reviews to help pick out an EUC. 

It seems like everyone suggests something different. Gonna keep on doing research so I can get the right one.

1 hour ago, Brandon Cohen said:

Welp, I spent all night looking at EUCs and beginner guides. And I have come to a conclusion. I have NO IDEA what to get. Lol. They all seem the same to me. I get that there are different battery sizes, motors, wheels, etc.etc. But they just don't seem that different. TBH I felt the same way with EScooters, except I can't rely off of thousands of Amazon reviews to help pick out an EUC. 

It seems like everyone suggests something different. Gonna keep on doing research so I can get the right one.

Battery size = range (and safety, <500Wh batteries can push out less current). Motor power = how much oomph does the wheel have. Bigger is better. Only really comparable between models with the same tire size, of course bigger tires will have less torque. In the end, specs are only rough hints how a certain wheel rides, so don't think too much about them.

Go by your initial feeling and intuitions. These are usually right. What would you use the wheel for? Which one just screams "Buy me!" to you? Which one looks nice? Which one can you imagine yourself riding? And take your time.

You don't look heavy, but just for certainty: what's your weight?

If you're really undecided, get a V5F. $550 low price, certainly fine for your mini-commute, nice features like lightness, looks, lift button, trolley handle. And then you know how a EUC feels and can go for a big powerful one soon.

While there seems to be a lot of choices, in practice there's only a handful of EUC choices, with the rest being notably lacking in at least one area. EUCs, unlike cars, are evolving at a high pace. The depreciation of wheels is huge, and rightly so.

Here's your choices if buying new.

MCM5, 1800 watt motor.

Tesla or Inmotion V10.

MSuper or KS18s/l.

Maybe the Ninebot z10 which has two major though not fatal flaws.

That's just six choices, and depending if you want a long, medium, or short range (corresponding to 18, 16, 14 inchers) then you can probably narrow it down to one or two choices. In my opinion I think the Tesla would suit you best.

Alright, so I've weighed a lot of pros and cons and think I'm going to go with the King Song 14D. I've taken into account EVERY suggestion on this thread and that I could find throughout these forums. Sorry if I ask a question that has been answered somewhere else.

The following information I got from EWheels site. I'll comment below my thoughts and if you think that I'm wrong in my conclusion, I'd love some other potential suggestions or any other feedback you may have.

Carrying Limit: 200lbs
I weigh around 175lbs so this seems like a decent gap for carrying groceries, my backpack, etc. (once I get good enough to carry stuff)

Range: 21 Miles
I looked at some stores near my house, the furthest trip I think I'd ever take one-way is 8 miles. So 16 miles round trip. I realize at 50% battery the speed gets throttled, but I doubt I will take a trip like this often. My daily commute will be about 1 mile 4 times a day (going home for lunch).

Battery capacity: 420Wh

On 11/2/2018 at 7:52 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

Battery size = range (and safety, <500Wh batteries can push out less current).

@meepmeepmayer What did you mean by 'safety' here? Would this EUC be less safe because of the smaller battery?

Max Cruise Speed: 18.6 MPH
This is how fast my GoTrax scooter went. Although sometimes I wanted it to go faster, I can't imagine I'll be comfortable going this fast for a long time on an EUC.

Motor Power: 800W
This seems about equivalent with anything else I'm going to get under $1200

Extendable Handle: YES
This feels like a must to me and it's the main reason I'm staying away from the MTen3. 
Do you guys use your extendable handles as often as I *think* I'm going to use mine?

Side Padding: YES
Again, especially as a beginner - this seems like a MUST. Does the MTen3 have padding? It looks a bit plastic-y from the photos

USB Charging Plug: YES
TBH, I don't think I care about this one. Wondering again if you guys every use yours?

BT Speakers: YES
I don't mind this. Sounds like a nice-to-have. But not sure I'll actually ever use it. 

Front/Rear Lighting: YES
This seems like a must for any EUC in the case of getting hit my nightfall.

Handle Motor Switch: NO
Is this a big turn off for you guys? Is it that convenient to have?

Pedal/Ground Clearance4/5
Seems good. One of those things I probably wont have as much of a preference on until I ride them?

Torque Climbing Power3.5/5
I have some hills here in Long Beach, but don't experience them in my daily commutes. Also I imagine it'll be some time until I have the balls to go up or down hills. Not sure this is something I really need to worry about.

Material & Construction Quality: 5/5
I feel like every wheels should be 5/5 lol.

• Control-board Overheating: if the Wheel was pushed at all, the temperature would quickly rise, forcing the Rider to dismount.

This is my main concern with this board. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN!? Pushed like, going to fast? I'm not interested in burning my leg or something. 

Comfort: ?/5
They don't have comfort listed but I did find this -

• Width: at over 8″ wide, it was short & stubby, not the most comfortable stance to ride in

Is this concerning? I know I'm not going super far, but I'd like to be comfortable.

Protective Cover: NO
I obviously want it to stay nice, but I'll be honest, I'd probably never put it in the case anyway.

Rapid Charge Capable: Up to 3 amps
Do you guys recommend I get a rapid charger? Seems a bit excessive, but I'm not sure.

Wheel Weight: 30lbs
Not so sure this matters as it has a trolley handle. Unless weight matters in balancing or something.

Water Resistance: Not great

• Durability & waterproofing: it’s main weakness was that motor axle that was used had a tendency develop hairline fractures which degraded over time. The water-protective measures were not very good at all

I live in California where it never rains. So I don't think this is a problem for me.

Price: $850
I like the price because it stays under $1k like I wanted. AND gives me wiggle room to get some protective gear!

Extended Warranty: ?
It doesn't seem like Ewheels.com offers an extended warranty. Does this not exist with EUC's?

Availability: Backorder

• SOLD OUT. Next arrivals scheduled to arrive on the second week of November

This sucks. I have become so accustomed to Amazon Prime 2 day shipping. 
I can surely wait the 2 weeks, but are there any other suppliers that are trustworthy that you guys can recommend? 

ANYTHING ELSE? 
I don't think I'm missing anything. But if I am, please let me know.
Also - until right now I haven't thought about gear very much. Any brands you recommend?

32 minutes ago, Brandon Cohen said:

Alright, so I've weighed a lot of pros and cons and think I'm going to go with the King Song 14D. I've taken into account EVERY suggestion on this thread and that I could find throughout these forums. Sorry if I ask a question that has been answered somewhere else.

The following information I got from EWheels site. I'll comment below my thoughts and if you think that I'm wrong in my conclusion, I'd love some other potential suggestions or any other feedback you may have.

I weigh around 175lbs so this seems like a decent gap for carrying groceries, my backpack, etc. (once I get good enough to carry stuff)

I looked at some stores near my house, the furthest trip I think I'd ever take one-way is 8 miles. So 16 miles round trip. I realize at 50% battery the speed gets throttled, but I doubt I will take a trip like this often. My daily commute will be about 1 mile 4 times a day (going home for lunch).

@meepmeepmayer What did you mean by 'safety' here? Would this EUC be less safe because of the smaller battery?

This is how fast my GoTrax scooter went. Although sometimes I wanted it to go faster, I can't imagine I'll be comfortable going this fast for a long time on an EUC.

This feels like a must to me and it's the main reason I'm staying away from the MTen3. 
Do you guys use your extendable handles as often as I *think* I'm going to use mine?

Again, especially as a beginner - this seems like a MUST. Does the MTen3 have padding? It looks a bit plastic-y from the photos

TBH, I don't think I care about this one. Wondering again if you guys every use yours?

I don't mind this. Sounds like a nice-to-have. But not sure I'll actually ever use it. 

Seems good. One of those things I probably wont have as much of a preference on until I ride them?

I have some hills here in Long Beach, but don't experience them in my daily commutes. Also I imagine it'll be some time until I have the balls to go up or down hills. Not sure this is something I really need to worry about.

• Control-board Overheating: if the Wheel was pushed at all, the temperature would quickly rise, forcing the Rider to dismount.

This is my main concern with this board. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN!? Pushed like, going to fast? I'm not interested in burning my leg or something. 

• Width: at over 8″ wide, it was short & stubby, not the most comfortable stance to ride in

Is this concerning? I know I'm not going super far, but I'd like to be comfortable.

I obviously want it to stay nice, but I'll be honest, I'd probably never put it in the case anyway.

Do you guys recommend I get a rapid charger? Seems a bit excessive, but I'm not sure.

Not so sure this matters as it has a trolley handle. Unless weight matters in balancing or something.

• Durability & waterproofing: it’s main weakness was that motor axle that was used had a tendency develop hairline fractures which degraded over time. The water-protective measures were not very good at all

I live in California where it never rains. So I don't think this is a problem for me.

I like the price because it stays under $1k like I wanted. AND gives me wiggle room to get some protective gear!

It doesn't seem like Ewheels.com offers an extended warranty. Does this not exist with EUC's?

I can surely wait the 2 weeks, but are there any other suppliers that are trustworthy that you guys can recommend? 

ANYTHING ELSE? 
Also - until right now I haven't thought about gear very much. Any brands you recommend?

I think you should consider the KS16S.  Though it is a little more money, it has double the range.  Why I think the 14D isn't for you is because it is a little on the small side.  Ride will not be as stable as a 16".  16" is also the best all around wheel.  Good for tricks and riding at a good cruising speed.  the 14D will be a little squirrelly for you.  If you look around you may be able to find a used 16S with the 680Wh battery that will be about the same price as the 14D.

It is built like a tank, I learned on a slightly older version the non-S, bought is used on ebay, my 16 has so many battle scars and still works fine.  Make sure to do the magnetic pedal upgrade, will make the wheel perfect.  I don't like having to touch the pedals for deployment and find the magnetic pedal DIY to be a must.  Also less fuss when you have your hands full.  

My 16" is the wheel I currently keep in the back of my car for last mile stuff like parking farther from where I need to go and just using it to get back with the family that I dropped off.  The 16S also has 50% more power than the 14D.  I've seen some post even the 14S had some blown fuses.  I've not seen anything on the 16 blowing fuses causing faceplants.  

The board is on the top near the handle, so don't have to worry about water.

trolley handle on the 16 isn't magnesium like the 14D but is still fine.  I find the KS trolley handles to be the best.  Can't beat a handle that is perfectly centered over the wheel. 

For learning, just get a roll of protective bumper.  I never bothered even though I had these.  I just have lots of battle scars on my wheel.

It is about 8 lbs heavier than the 14D, but if you don't have to lift it up any stairs, its fine. 

Body is taller and better for adults than the 14D.  When I bought the 14D for my son and rode it for 15 minutes, i immediately had lost skin at the lower contact point which was not as comfortable as the KS16S.  KS16S sidepads are ergonomic, they are tapered inwards no unusual contact points.  very comfortable.  probably the most comfortable of them all besides the 18S.

Don't worry about overheating, you won't overheat the KS14D or 16S with normal riding.

Hope I didn't confuse you.  Don't bother with anything less than 16" unless you are looking to do tricks.  Don't bother with the Mten3, it is a toy.  10" wheels not good for riding, good for goofing around and tricks.  IMO.

50 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

I think you should consider the KS16S.  Though it is a little more money, it has double the range.  Why I think the 14D isn't for you is because it is a little on the small side.  Ride will not be as stable as a 16".  16" is also the best all around wheel.  Good for tricks and riding at a good cruising speed.  the 14D will be a little squirrelly for you.  If you look around you may be able to find a used 16S with the 680Wh battery that will be about the same price as the 14D.

It is built like a tank, I learned on a slightly older version the non-S, bought is used on ebay, my 16 has so many battle scars and still works fine.  Make sure to do the magnetic pedal upgrade, will make the wheel perfect.  I don't like having to touch the pedals for deployment and find the magnetic pedal DIY to be a must.  Also less fuss when you have your hands full.  

My 16" is the wheel I currently keep in the back of my car for last mile stuff like parking farther from where I need to go and just using it to get back with the family that I dropped off.  The 16S also has 50% more power than the 14D.  I've seen some post even the 14S had some blown fuses.  I've not seen anything on the 16 blowing fuses causing faceplants.  

The board is on the top near the handle, so don't have to worry about water.

trolley handle on the 16 isn't magnesium like the 14D but is still fine.  I find the KS trolley handles to be the best.  Can't beat a handle that is perfectly centered over the wheel. 

For learning, just get a roll of protective bumper.  I never bothered even though I had these.  I just have lots of battle scars on my wheel.

It is about 8 lbs heavier than the 14D, but if you don't have to lift it up any stairs, its fine. 

Body is taller and better for adults than the 14D.  When I bought the 14D for my son and rode it for 15 minutes, i immediately had lost skin at the lower contact point which was not as comfortable as the KS16S.

Don't worry about overheating, you won't overheat the KS14D or 16S with normal riding.

Hope I didn't confuse you.  Don't bother with anything less than 16" unless you are looking to do tricks.  

I'm going to piggy-back on Eddie's comment, because I don't agree.

First of all, @Brandon Cohen is cost conscious and because of this I don't think you can nonchalantly  suggest that he spend another $400 to get the KS16S.

Are you aware that EWheels does not sell the KS16S anymore?

I'm about the same size as Brandon. I thoroughly enjoy riding my KS14S and it in no way feels too small. It won't for Brandon either. I own three sub-16 inch wheels and they are great. I don't do tricks. I really don't understand how you cannot recommend a 14-inch wheel for general use. I love mine, and I don't don't tricks :)

Remember, he's been pretty specific about his needs, and it looks like 90% of his needs are sub 6-miles. Yet the 14D will cover 100-percent of his stated needs. He says that he's thoroughly read this any other threads so I'm sure he's aware that if he falls down the EUC rabbit hole, he'll be buying another more powerful wheel latter.

Now to your points Brandon ...

Technically the smaller battery is less safe because it has a lower reserve of power to draw from in hi-current situations. But these are edge cases which I don't think will apply to you. For the vast amount of time that you'll be using the 14D (assuming that you hold to your stated use of ~4-miles a day or less) it's a non-issue. I just would not worry about what @meepmeepmayer said here, for your use case.

Around town I use my trolley handle (which exists on all of my wheels except for the Monster) all the time. It's a godsend for shopping, etc.

Motor cutoff is nice for sure but in no way should be used when deciding what wheel to buy, IMHO.

Don't waste your money on a fast charger. Makes absolutely no sense for a small battery capacity wheel like the 14D, and particularly for someone who will only need to charge the wheel every 2 or 3 days.

No extended warranties. Most EUC warranties are worthless anyway. Best to buy from a reputable dealer who will stand behind the product. Assuming that your 14D is not dead out-of-the-box, the odds are you will never have a problem.

My only concern is your reference to the upper speed (~19-mph) of the wheel. Although the 14D can technically go that fast, you will not be doing so. That's the upper limit. Have you ever (in the desert, etc) driven a car near it's stated upper limit? It's a bit nerve wracking right, and feels precarious? Same with our wheels. The 14D is a comfortable 17-mph max wheel. And, if you were to be pushing it at the upper limits, this is where @meepmeepmayer's safety concerns come into play. If I'm riding fast I want a lot of reserve gas in the tank. The 14D doesn't have much reserve. Please don't ride the 14D at the upper limit. Even on my 14S I don't spend any time in that speed range. If you want a small but fast wheel you'll have to spend another ~$400 and get the MCM5. 

Hope this helps.

P.s. If @Terenig happens to see this, maybe he can chime in. He rides a 14D in Southern California, using like you will. He's about your size too. You can PM him too, sending him a link to this thread. When you PM someone, they get an e-mail. Otherwise he may not visit the forum that often (he was last here Oct 24th).

ANYTHING ELSE? 

The only "safety" issues with smaller battery packs is the amount of reserve power they have to keep you upright in situations like unexpected bumps or emergency braking after you have been riding for some distance and run down the charge.  With your short rides that won't be much of an issue.  

The safety issue with single packs is similar, but refers to the peak current a single pack can provide even when fully charged.  Dual parallel packs like the 14S/16S have can supply twice the current to the motor, again in extreme situations like emegency braking, or bumps while hill climbing, or high speed riding.

Good choice. You can't go wrong with a 14D as a nice small/light, convenient wheel for your short commute. The trolley handle alone is worth it.  Just be aware that a bigger, badder wheel will be calling your name in the not too far future:efee8319ab: Most everyone here thought 25kph (16mph) is fast enough, til they got a wheel that can't go faster:efee612b4b: But even then, the small wheel will be very convenient when you don't want to lug around a heavier device.

Small batteries can only push out so much current, which can theoretically be a problem if you push a small battery wheel really hard. Charge state doesn't matter much here, just the number of parallel blocks of battery cells, each of which can give a certain current (the current adds for more blocks). The 14D has 2 such blocks (2p), e.g. the 14S or 16S have 4 (4p). Basically 3p and more is fine, while 2p can be critical if you think such a wheel is a racing machine.

I'll just second what @Marty Backe wrote about that topic, unless you plan to scrape against the 14D's upper speed limit all the time, that's no problem at all. You're not heavy, your use case isn't extreme. If the stated top speed is what you want to use all the time, a 14S (double battery size = twice the current) would be better, though in that case I'd go for a 16+ inch wheel anyways. Just don't use the 14D as an extreme toy  that you push to its limits, and you'll be fine, but that applies to any wheel (it may just too hard to push a "big" wheel hard enough for it to be overwhelmed).

27 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Are you aware that EWheels does not sell the KS16S anymore?

Jason still sells the 16S. Same as the Monster. He merely didn't include them in his new comparison chart so it wouldn't get too big and confusing with all the new wheels. No panic, guys:efee47c9c8: He would be crazy not to sell the 16S unless a new KS 16 incher were weeks away (history says it is not).

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Jason still sells the 16S. Same as the Monster. He merely didn't include them in his new comparison chart so it wouldn't get too big and confusing with all the new wheels. No panic, guys:efee47c9c8: He would be crazy not to sell the 16S unless a new KS 16 incher were weeks away (history says it is not).

Good to know, and thanks for correcting me :thumbup:

Archived