Man killed in electric scooter crash in Washington DC

Jonathan Tolhurst

Terrible news! Not sure if a helmet would have saved the 2 riders but why would any company loan out scooters to the public without a mandatory helmet clause. 

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

why would any company loan out scooters to the public without a mandatory helmet clause. 

California just eliminated a law that required helmets for adult scooter riders. It takes effect 01/01/19.

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Terrible news! Not sure if a helmet would have saved the 2 riders but why would any company loan out scooters to the public without a mandatory helmet clause. 

Although I kind of understand the helmet sentiment, it's very unrealistic in the rental use-case. People who rent these for a few miles want to get from Point A to Point B, on the spur of the moment. Most people don't carry helmets with them for the spur of the moment scooter ride. That would kill the scooter rental business and that's why they fight the mandatory rules.

People who actually own scooters are more likely to own and use a helmet, sometimes.

Accidents happen. How many people are killed by cars (drivers and pedestrians) yet we don't ban cars. A few people die by scooters and now we have to start worrying about them being banned or draconian rules put in place. And of course some of this might end up falling on our EUC shoulders :(

5 minutes ago, Elder Meat said:

California just eliminated a law that required helmets for adult scooter riders. It takes effect 01/01/19.

Thank God. Very surprising that this happened in the grand nanny state of California. The scooter lobby must be very powerful.

:thumbup: for personal liberty.

10 hours ago, Jonathan Tolhurst said:

See BBC News Article from 21 September 2018.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45596449

A man in Washington DC has died after the electric rental scooter he was riding collided with a car

Are these two sentences equivalent?

1. Man dies after being hit by a car.

2. Man does after being shot by a gun.

It's as if these inanimate objects go off and kill people on their own.

Note both deaths occurred from being hit by a car (ahem, person driving a car while texting); you guys really need to stay away from autos as much as you can.

2 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

A man in Washington DC has died after the electric rental scooter he was riding collided with a car

Are these two sentences equivalent?

1. Man dies after being hit by a car.

2. Man does after being shot by a gun.

It's as if these inanimate objects go off and kill people on their own.

Note both deaths occurred from being hit by a car (ahem, person driving a car while texting); you guys really need to stay away from autos as much as you can.

Good point.

My take is that we tend to blame the scooter and not the car or city planning. It is true that these electric devices have only been around for a while but bicycles have been facing the same problem sence the invention of the car. 

Yea that pisses me off, too. Why isn't it "SUV crash" (of course it was an SUV) or "car crash" or "killed by distracted driver" instead of "electric scooter crash":angry: Blames the small vehicle instead of the 2 ton murder machine and its driver. And of course, scooter rider's fault for not wearing a helmet, car driver apparently can't have any responsibility at all:eff04a58a6:

8 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Yea that pisses me off, too. Why isn't it "SUV crash" (of course it was an SUV) or "car crash" or "killed by distracted driver" instead of "electric scooter crash"

"News" most commonly means "noteworthy". In this case, SUV/vehicle crashes are commonplace and by themselves aren't noteworthy. People doing things with electric scooters (behaving badly or getting into accidents) is noteworthy. No assignation of blame really, although some may infer (correctly or not) that the scooter rider was not following the rules of the road and therefore was more at fault.

My personal experience as a bicyclist is every electric rideshare scooter rider I've encountered on the road was going against traffic head on against me. I have never had one pass me in the same direction I was traveling. So I am more in the camp of "most rideshare scooters operators are irresponsible nits who are ruining it for everyone else". I wish that was not the case.

8 minutes ago, Elder Meat said:

My personal experience as a bicyclist is every electric rideshare scooter rider I've encountered on the road was going against traffic head on against me. I have never had one pass me in the same direction I was traveling. So I am more in the camp of "most rideshare scooters operators are irresponsible nits who are ruining it for everyone else". I wish that was not the case.

Generation X was last generation to willfully go outside and explore the world on wheeled automatic self torture devices. (The good old days, before helicopter parents in chauffeur soccer mom SUVs)  The new generations have been lured into the electric scooter world without the past experience of bicycles and skateboards. An unforgiving learning curve is to be expected. As a whole I still think it is a better fate than wasting away in the glow of their mobile devices. 

On 10/17/2018 at 2:30 AM, Rehab1 said:

Because they are not liable, so there's no reason to expend any resources on it.

Being rather libertarian leaning in my views, this is as it should be. Adults should be responsible for themselves; I don't want "society" taking responsibility for me because too often it makes things WORSE (in this case less safe) for me.

Any adult individual who gets on a bike/motorcycle/scooter/euc/etc. without a helmet really values their brain-- and their future -- far, far, far less than I do.

On 10/17/2018 at 8:18 AM, Marty Backe said:

People who actually own scooters are more likely to own and use a helmet, sometimes.

Ha! Get a Dualtron Ultra or Thunder, and not only helmets, but Depends will be mandatory :D :D 

I know, I have a Thunder. I've been 55mph on it. Once. Never again, but it was a thrill!

48 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Bad things can happen.  Not sure I would weave in and out around traffic at 90 kph.  :blink:

I have no words, unbelievable on so many levels, but Im sure he had some fun.....

• 5 months later...
On 11/1/2018 at 4:53 PM, yourtoys7 said:

I have no words, unbelievable on so many levels, but Im sure he had some fun.....

:shock2: Faaaaaaark, leaning back on the handlebars & crouching over the accelerating rear motor of an e-scooter is a very, very, very BAD idea :barf: unless you want to fly like a brick.

Archived