Tesla cut off crasch

Unimike

Tuesday  afternon(3/10-2018) ,i was riding home from work in the rain on my  gotway Tesla , when suddenly and quietly ( no alarm) the wheel switched off.

Speed was 35km/h . The good news is that the wheel is undamaged only some small scratches on the front. I however was not so lucky..

I always imagened that i would be able to take a step and do a roll , but that was only a wischfull fantasy . In reality i smacked down on my left side hitting the asphalt with hand , kne and face . I did not passed out but got tunnel vision , pain, groggy, adrenalin rush ,fought to stay consious. I did not want to passed out.

Tryed to stand up but could not , tryed to sit up but could not (left hand broken) . Legs like jelly . As i lay there struggeling in the rain a freindly bicyclist stopped an asked if i needed help. He helped me up on my legs. I was swaying like a drunk . After a few minutes i started to feel more stable and we slowly started to walk towards my home .He kept asking me questions and checking that i was not going to faint , blood kept running from my eyebrow and chin .Halfway home

i felt ok and thanked him for his help . We parted ways and i continued alone . When i got home i put some bandages on my swollen hand , took some selfies and sent to my boss telling him i was not comming to work the next day and then fell asleep . The next day i went to the hospital ,they took alot of X rays on my hand and it was broken. the doctor said it is going to take at least 6 weeks for the bones to heal .

I checked out my Tesla but could not find anything wrong with it , maybe rainwater had penetrated in to it . Anyway i am a little uncertain if i shall try it again.

My next buy will be... Wristguards.

IMG_20181003_183231 (2).jpg

Ouch!  Hopefully you will find out what caused your wheel to malfunction. Your injuries are bad, but certainly could have been much worse.  Were you wearing any gear?  Wishing you a speedy recovery.

That is terrifying and horribly unfortunate! You have my best well-wishes for your recovery!

I sincerely hope that this incident doesn't keep you off of your wheel permanently, but it definitely merits as much digging as possible into finding the root cause! If you feel up to it, please crack the Tesla open and take some gooooood pictures of everything on the inside and post them here, as I'm sure many of us (myself included) would be more than happy to scrutinize them and possibly help you find something that may have led up to this unfortunate accident...

Good luck, stay safe, buy  wrist guards, and get well soon!

It can be hard to hear the beeps at 35kmh in the rain. I've blown through the 35kmh on my KS16s when on a smooth asphalt road, where speeds are deceptive, and what saved me was tiltback.

However, this sounds like a power cutout due to your inability to take one step. I've always been able to take at least one step in all my faceplants.

That was really serious....sorry to read of your injuries...don't know if this applies to Tesla but....

I've ridden my Gotway Monster in wet weather with substantial loss of buzzer volume continuing indoors for a few hours.

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/3596-the-photo-thread/?do=findComment&comment=159965

"The  weather didn't quite work out as planned and about ten miles of the ride were drizzly wet road conditions. My Monster's buzzer became water logged and was barely audible at my destination. After returning home I stood the Monster upright to charge it. By the time it had charged from 20% battery to 40% battery the piezoelectric buzzer volume had returned to normal."

Ouch, looks bad, but glad to see you smiling on the photo. Get well soon. Maybe ask te doc if he could make the same blue “wristguard” for the other hand and one for the head, they look sturdy  :rolleyes:

OkOk, easy one, apologies.

Thank you for sharing. Personally it alwasy surprises me to see how hard it is for most of us to react at 35 km/h, no matter if you’re heavy, light, tall, small, beginner, experienced, young or not so young anymore. Makes me rethink my top speed and willingness to go faster and faster, especially when riding overland where a long, straight road makes you want to do so. Don’t have this issue in town, though...

Thank you for your well wishes . About protection , i was wearing bicycle helmet kne and elbow  protection workshoes with steel toes .

The helmet did nothing for me since i took the hit with my face , The left kne guard slided down my leg and exposed ...the kne so i got som skin scraped off . So  not only wristguards but also a fullface helmet will be on my list to buy .

This is the third time i bite the dust . The two times before was on a regular bicycle . I had no helmet. First time i passed out,woke up and continued to work, the boss drove me to hospital . Second time passed out , a couple found me on the bike lane and called a ambulance , i was a bit confused and had some memory loss . The doctor saw in the juornal that i had crashed without a helmet before and gave me a stern lecture , asking me if i wanted to go to the neurology ward . I said no. Then maybe you should get a bicycle helmet ! After that i bought many helmets .

I will not stop riding  because love it to much to stop , just take a break ( ha ha hand broken :lol: ).

About taking the Tesla Apart . Perhaps later ... try to make a sandwish or put your pants on with one hand , not impossible but a bit difficult.

The Wheellog app showed a massive spike in current, 80 ampere before cutoff . So the wheel did what it suppose to do . High current = Cutoff . However no alarm and why the high current . I have gone up to 42 km/h and steep hills without problems .

I have more Gotway Wheels ( MCM4, M super v3, Monster and old Msuper 18 ) so i can still ride without the Tesla :).

9 minutes ago, Unimike said:

taking the Tesla Apart . Perhaps later ... try to make a sandwish or put your pants on with one hand , not impossible but a bit difficult.

The Wheellog app showed a massive spike in current, 80 ampere before cutoff . So the wheel did what it suppose to do . High current 

Hy there! I really hope you get well soon!!

For what happend to your wheel:

No! The wheel DID NOT what it was suppose todo...GW wheel doesnt have a amperage limit...the wheel will work on till the board blows....there is NO high amperage cutoff on a GW!!!

The only limit is the max speed cutoff...but as this speed is about 55-60 on the Tesla...something seams really not ok with your wheel, its fishy!

It should not cut out on a speed at about 35kmh...at least not if the battery is/was over 30%!

So i really would examine the wheel further! If one of the cells is defect...this mid speed (35 IS midspeed for the tesla) cutout WILL repeat...no matter how careful you drive!!

the rest of your experience should convince others to wear safety gear! A lot people think that on a unsuspected cutout they still could do some steps...NOPE...you can NOT...its just smashing into the ground...and as we see on your unfortunatly experience...hardware failures can occur ALL time....so no chanve to prepare for ANYTHING.....

As said:

Wish you the best for healing!

17 hours ago, US69 said:

So i really would examine the wheel further! If one of the cells is defect...this mid speed (35 IS midspeed for the tesla) cutout WILL repeat...no matter how careful you drive!!

Hmm, is there a tool that can tell the voltage of each of the cells to see if one is low without opening the wheel to test each cell individually?

The front-facing power switch assembly on the Tesla is subject to water intrusion. Luckily I was notoving when my battery level went from 60 to zero in seconds, then beeped and stopped balancing. Has been fine for thousands of miles afterward. We use Gorilla tape to seal the front and top openings for riding in the rain. 

On 10/8/2018 at 4:36 PM, Unimike said:

Thank you for your well wishes . About protection , i was wearing bicycle helmet kne and elbow  protection workshoes with steel toes .

The helmet did nothing for me since i took the hit with my face , The left kne guard slided down my leg and exposed ...the kne so i got som skin scraped off . So  not only wristguards but also a fullface helmet will be on my list to buy .

This is the third time i bite the dust . The two times before was on a regular bicycle . I had no helmet. First time i passed out,woke up and continued to work, the boss drove me to hospital . Second time passed out ...

Man... 3rd time. Maybe its time to stop?

I know some people who have had multiple concussions. While it may not seem like you are any worse for the wear now, you may be in for issues later in life. If I were OP I'd be very, very careful from here on in. Chronic traumatic encephalopathy is only beginning to be understood, and is no joke.

3 hours ago, who_the said:

The front-facing power switch assembly on the Tesla is subject to water intrusion. Luckily I was notoving when my battery level went from 60 to zero in seconds, then beeped and stopped balancing. Has been fine for thousands of miles afterward. We use Gorilla tape to seal the front and top openings for riding in the rain. 

It looks like the same standard power switch that's used on most EUCs. If so, does this mean any wheel that uses this power switch is subject to water intrusion?

2 hours ago, mkygod said:

It looks like the same standard power switch that's used on most EUCs. If so, does this mean any wheel that uses this power switch is subject to water intrusion?

Same switch, yes. But on the MSV3, Gotway sealed the edges with glue. My Tesla had none and water leaked in through the seam between the switch and the body.

My MSX also had no sealing around the power switch assembly. I will tape it up for rain riding for sure. I have already taped the side shell seams.

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:27 PM, LanghamP said:

Hmm, is there a tool that can tell the voltage of each of the cells to see if one is low without opening the wheel to test each cell individually?

Unfortunatly not...outside the Wheel there is no possibilty to check single cells, you would even have to open the battery packs to check on the BMS.

Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you heal fast. I think the "obvious" cause is riding in the rain. You probably have done it many times, and others will chime in that they do it all the time, but for me I believe it is only a matter of time and enough wet weather riding before something bad happens. I am glad you are not giving up on eucs, although I wish you would give up on riding in the rain. Ride safe!

10 hours ago, US69 said:

Unfortunatly not...outside the Wheel there is no possibilty to check single cells, you would even have to open the battery packs to check on the BMS.

I'm not sure if it will work, but minimod.ru has an app to check the individual cells health on ninebot products. Below is screenshot from my minipro.. 

SmartSelect_20181011-212016.thumb.jpg.0c37ca8193807a2445427a2ddc519373.jpg

Just to clarify it does not to

30 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

I'm not sure if it will work, but minimod.ru has an app to check the individual cells health on ninebot products. Below is screenshot from my minipro.. 

Just to clarify, it does not report on individual cells, but on each goup of the parallel cells.  The MiniPro is a 15S2P configuration. 

5 minutes ago, FreeRide said:

Just to clarify it does not to

Just to clarify, it does not report on individual cells, but on each goup of the parallel cells.  The MiniPro is a 15S2P configuration. 

Thanks for the clarification! I thought14 cells seemed low at 2am last night when i found it and installed.  Never put two and two together though :D :eff05cf9bc:

Archived