What do you do?

Alex_from_NZ

Hi Everyone,

I'm rather new here and have been bitten by the bug, waiting for a Z10 to turn up in little old New Zealand with my name on it in a few months.  In the meantime, I've been satisfying my Wheeling itch by hanging out here (sorry in advance).  

Anyway, I've only seen a handful of riders on these wonderful machines over my time and it got me thinking about New Adopters and the type of people that take the leading edge with new technology, ideas, processes etc and I wondered what the demographics on here were in terms of job types and industries?  If there was a correlation at all between personality types or if wheel ownership ended up being more situational dependant instead (ie, need transport).

Is there a trend to the type of people and the work they do who own a wheel?

I am an analyst (this post might make more sense now) with experience in Finance and Healthcare industries.  My focus was Product and Process analytics before I moved into Workforce and Operations Analytics which is where I am now.  I am an operations guy at heart though so career goal is COO or Special Operations Manager for some interesting company/industry.  

Mods, if I'm crossing some anonymity line here please treat me like an idiot and delete this and scold me publically.

Your friendly Kiwi Analyst,
Alex.

30 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

Is there a trend to the type of people and the work they do who own a wheel?

IMHO it is a good question,. We have already had a poll on age, see below: (with surprising results - although whether that really represents riders or just the type of people who join forums is still a matter of debate?) 

Personally I suspect that hobby rather than occupation might have more bearing? Certainly anyone with a background in any sort of balancing sport (Windsurfing, skiing, surfing, skateboards, Unicycles, etc. etc.) will pick it up quickly and also be predisposed to try. Oddly enough there seems to be a significant number of hobby pilots here both full size and models.

As for me: Pilot (model and full size), ex-windsurfer, ex-skier (but both 30+ years ago). Telecoms Engineer/Training Consultant/Technical Author and eventually process consultant in Finance sector data networks 

6 minutes ago, Keith said:

IMHO it is a good question,. We have already had a poll on age, see below: (with surprising results - although whether that really represents riders or just the type of people who join forums is still a matter of debate?) 

Personally I suspect that hobby rather than occupation might have more bearing? Certainly anyone with a background in any sort of balancing sport (Windsurfing, skiing, surfing, skateboards, Unicycles, etc. etc.) will pick it up quickly and also be predisposed to try. Oddly enough there seems to be a significant number of hobby pilots here both full size and models.

Very true, although i suspect there will be such a strong correlation between sport types and EUC it might not give as many insights as we would think (i think it will show that overall most of us have some experience in a balancing sport along the way before getting here).  Would be interesting to see what people progressed to after EUC... is there a next step?? (not from my perspective atm)

The Hobby Pilot thing is interesting, although knowing a number of commercial pilots they are all adrenaline junkies of some sort so perhaps not so shocking haha.

6 minutes ago, Keith said:

eventually process consultant in Finance sector data networks 

I would have loved to pick your brains in my last career!

Cheers,
Alex.

I'm a tech startup founder, former venture capitalist, former management consultant, reformed investment banker. I've always been interested in new tech, and that's how I first discovered EUCs. I'm also a silly person, and the inherent silliness of riding an EUC is probably a bigger factor in why I ride one than what I do for a living or my technophilia.

4 minutes ago, Shemp said:

I'm a tech startup founder, former venture capitalist, former management consultant, reformed investment banker. I've always been interested in new tech, and that's how I first discovered EUCs. I'm also a silly person, and the inherent silliness of riding an EUC is probably a bigger factor in why I ride one than what I do for a living or my technophilia.

Interesting,  i really don't see it as silly at all (im not that silly myself).  I see it as a mode of transport and a sport/hobby like bungy jumping or skiing to get a bit of adrenaline with.  Hence why i thought the correlation to jobs and industries.  Curious to hear of others pick it up for similar reasons to yourself!  My Lawyer wife won't touch the thing, every time she looks at it she starts muttering about liabilities and disclaimers..  :P

And no matter what got us here, glad to have a community!

I guess I’m at the 101st percent... which is why I don’t mind sharing my story.

I’m on disability pension (since 35, now 40) due to a later found genetic disorder, and I can no longer walk for more than a slow 100m or so. Can’t bicycle at all anymore. My inbound life was flipped around by the seated two-wheeler Airwheel A3, which after the first year had improved my condition, so I decided to build a similiar vehicle from two faster EUCs with suspension. I decided to quickly try standing on the EUC after all... 15000km later the A3 has broken down and the building project, while far from being ditched, remains only as plans on paper.

Before forced to stop working, I used to work as a sound engineer, musician, and in musical instrument repairs. The latter has been quite useful in working with EUCs.

Mountain biking was a long lasting hobby since childhood. I do ride the EUC mostly in the woods, on cycle pathways or trails, so a strong calling into the nature remains as a strong connection to MTBing.

I started in physics drafting and engineering but found a bigger paycheck in advanced technical trouble shooting and coding. (making the mechanical world work with the software world and vice versa.) 

I always loved strange vehicles and dreamed of being a pilot. I have piloted a few planes mid flight and enjoyed it. ( No take off or landing, Just an idiot with a dream)   

Enough already... Stop hinting at what we all know...

99% of you are middle-aged (or older) geeks, who just enjoy being slightly (or mostly) eccentric!   :facepalm:

The other 1% of us are just normal people (like @Jason McNeil and myself) who are making a buck off all you weirdos by selling you these awesome toys!   :D

40 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Enough already... Stop hinting at what we all know...

99% of you are middle-aged (or older) geeks, who just enjoy being slightly (or mostly) eccentric!   :facepalm:

The other 1% of us are just normal people (like @Jason McNeil and myself) who are making a buck off all you weirdos by selling you these awesome toys!   :D

:confused1: You forgot delusional !  :facepalm:

Ill share since im pretty proud of my career choice and I think its pretty interesting.  I am a Emergency Medical Helicopter Pilot.  I get to bring my medical crews to the accident scene to scrape up any remains from that motorcycle rider who had a run in with a semi. ( im joking .. kind of )   We get to save lives on a daily basis as well and i am glad to be fortunate enough to be a small part of that.  Its a pretty good job and when im not flying, my work day is generally pretty boring.  I bring my EUC to work with me and ride it around the airport when not on calls.  My crew thinks I am out of my mind sometimes, but I like to stay young and I think I am pretty fit for my age so Its kind of fun for my to tool around the airport and hangers when I have down time.  Or else I would just be either napping, playing video games or watching TV at work.,  So I think riding a EUC is a good alternative to all of that.    

I posted a poll on motorcycle riders when I joined, it confirmed my suspicions...lots of mc riders here.

I am an electronics engineer (that generally gets more employment as an electronics technician than engineering work...but a lot of times technician work is more technical than engineering work). Worked for many companies in manufacturing (semiconductor, military/aerospace, telecom, consumer electronics) and many companies in new product development (oil fraking, metal detectors, microprocessors)...kinda all over the place. Anything related to microcontrollers I find fascinating. The embedded world has come a long way in 40 years.  

I'm a former musician and copywriter. Now I work as a creative director for a big tv/movie corporation here in Rome. I was a skateboarder and a skier. Im still a motorcycle driver but Im not in a MC chapter anymore. There is a little bit of all this things in driving my lovely wheels.

3 hours ago, tscottn said:

I am a Emergency Medical Helicopter Pilot. 

Another chopper pilot! :cheers: Must be nice having a ship to fly for free. Seriously you have a tough emotional occupation. Safe flying!

40 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Another chopper pilot! :cheers: Must be nice having a ship to fly for free. Seriously you have a tough emotional occupation. Safe flying!

Thanks Rehab.  I dont know if you noticed but the "air wolf" type helicopter in your profile picture is based on the Bell 430 which is what I fly and is on my profile pic..) 

3 hours ago, tscottn said:

Thanks Rehab.  I dont know if you noticed but the "air wolf" type helicopter in your profile picture is based on the Bell 430 which is what I fly and is on my profile pic..) 

Great photo!  Yes it does resemble the Bell 222 used in Airwolf. Interestingly after the series canceled the original chopper was stripped down and turned into an air ambulance in Germany. Sadly it crashed in 1992 and killed 3 passengers including the physician. So be safe flying!

I own a small business where we make men's leather goods. Prior to that I worked in the high end audio industry for about 15 years. 

I grew up riding bmx, skateboarding and learned to ride a unicycle at around 8 or 9 years old and could juggle pretty well while riding.  I never thought it would help much other than maybe to join the circus?  On a recent trip I discovered the Bird scooters and quickly had to have one.  A few weeks ago, after nearly 40 years of not riding a unicycle, I decided to see if I could still do it.  Luckily it came back instantly-- though it was way more of a workout than I remembered.  Then I accidentally discovered these crazy EUC's on youtube and had give it a try.  I guess the unicycle balance feel transferred pretty well because I could ride the EUC pretty easily within about 5 min.  I'm 47 and my family thinks I've lost my mind for riding this thing.  I love it:)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 34, male, and manage my family's small construction company. Primarily heavy equipment operations (front end loaders, dump trucks, skid steers and the like). Always enjoy/ed outdoor activities. Biking, hiking, skateboard, roller blade, running, climbing, hunting. Whatever is available living in rural Kansas. Rode motorcycles for a lot of years. So I love the freedom of the euc's!  Also LOVE tech. And these things are an amazing bit of kit to show off to the largely oblivious population where I live.

Although I first discovered them due to my wife's love of cosplay. I wanted something unique and eye catching for a costume and settled on Gizmoduck! So I searched out a dual wheel euc and the other 4 wheels came home in a matter of months after the initial thrill just kept growing!

Me: late 30s with wife and 2 kids.  I have an IT background and I work in finance as a quant.   I’ve been aware of EUC for a few years but like @mdogbucket  it took Bird scooters to make me fully appreciate the utility of the electric-last-mile transportation.  I also used to ride an ‘analog unicycle’ as a kid.   I live and work in a dense downtown area so I’m on my EUC for multiple short trips every day.    

Love this forum and knowing there are other EUC enthusiasts in the world, though I’ve only met one EUC owner in real life.

I’m a woman, work in technology/management consulting and have been involved in a handful of startups.  I have two teenagers who find my adoration of EUCs horrifying.  The adults in my area (a town filled with conservative finance types) tend to mistakenly conflate EUCs with exploding hover boards and feel compelled to share such quips.  However I don’t care. These things are fun!

I’ve enjoyed experimenting with various last mile devices for the last three/four years. I’ve owned a hover board, rocket skates, an Acton scooter, a couple of older model EUCs and am partial to my recent acquisitions, a Kiwano and an IotaTRAX. However, I took a little spill on the IotaTRAX when the power cut out and am mostly on my Kiwano now. I’m also in the market for a lightweight, reliable one wheeler. 

I am surprised by the number of musician here, I figure it'll be nothing but electrical engineers!

I am an Architect and mostly work on corporate office design. But I also a huge tech nerd and spend most of my life on some sort of wheeled transportation thing, I started out on roller blades, then went to kick scooters, electric scooter, mountain boards, freebord, mountain bikes, motorcycles/ scooters. I do seem to have an affinity for niche hobbies, probably why I went for the IPS i5.

Archived