Powerbutton with key

MrAkse

Hello,

I was out cruising on my KS18L today and stopped at a coffeehouse for a cup of coffee. My first thought was to use a bicycle lock and leave the wheel outside while I was having a cup of coffee. But then I saw all those curious kids gathering and my concern was that any of them could easily push the the power button and the wheel, while locked to the bicycle stand, would be powered on and all sorts of crazy things could happen.

My idea was to fit an ignition key like on atv's and motorcycles. 

I found this ignition key online and thought maybe this could be inserted instead of the original push power button.

My knowledge of the internal electronics in an euc is very limited so i'm asking you guys and girls if it could be done.

My knowledge of the electrics is not that great either, but, seeing as the factory button uses a long push(momentary on) to wake up the wheel (it connects two wires together), I see no reason why one of the wires in the wheel couldn't be connected to the pin on the new lock that would go live, momentarily, in the start position, and the other wire to the pin that completes the circuit.  In other words, when you turn the key all the way and engage the starter motor on a vehicle, you release it once the engine has started, so the momentary functionality, required by the wheel logic, is preserved.  The only weird thing is you would have to "start" it again, to activate the momentary function that kills the wheel.  But that would not take long to get used to.

We've discussed this before, a few years back.  I think it's an excellent idea, And should be standard from the factory, for exactly the reason you stated, and general security.  Imagine if they sold a convertible car with a no key, just a push button; no one would buy it, and no one would insure it either.

One concern is the amount of space available for the body of the lock.  The factory button I have protrudes 14mm below the case (body only) and about 25mm if you include the wires.  This lock is 46mm long according to the listing.

For some EUC the button actually breaks the circuit - but either way a key-switch could be wired in to effectively disable the button (rather than replace it). But as @Smoother says, it comes down to where you can fit it. 

Or you could just chain your wheel up and then lock it with the app, so it can't be started. 

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I can't say sorry, I don't have any Gotway wheels...

@Marty Backe - you might be able to answer this?

Gotway wheels have no concept of "locking the wheel". Of course any wheel (except the MCM5) can be chained via the handle.

When I get a chance I am going to add a keyed on / off switch that disables the button. I have plenty of unused space below the batteries on the side of the MSuper.  I like the idea that I could lock it or leave it unlocked. I would not need a key every time.

2 hours ago, RockyTop said:

When I get a chance I am going to add a keyed on / off switch that disables the button. I have plenty of unused space below the batteries on the side of the MSuper.  I like the idea that I could lock it or leave it unlocked. I would not need a key every time.

I have a feeling most thieves just snatch and run. I would use your key idea and install an auto alarm with  both a shock and proximity sensor.

If you connect the alarm system to your wheel’s battery pack you will need to split off the power to a convertor that drops the voltage. I used this step down method when I added a 12v fan to my old ACM. 

30135938188_82c48bd91d_b.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2018 at 9:01 PM, jdsr4c said:

Why can't you just bring it into the coffee shop? The size and convenience of being able to roll it around anywhere is one of its best attributes.

True, yet a disable-power-button functionality in the app may still be useful to protect children or toddlers getting hurt by a momentarily unattended EUC.

A better idea.

1. Keep the button.

2. Put the key in series with the button, in a better (protected) spot, like maybe under the handle (in the closed room where you put fingers in)

Advantages:

- all functions are like before, except you have a "lock key" to totally shut off

- key hole protected from dirt/water

- for i.e. tesla that requires short pushes to change ring light, you turn on key and use button to do those changes

- you use key to enable button, button will take the main "wear" while key only operates when locking vehicle (not when home for example or changing lights)

- its pretty easy to use the locked position to instead power an alarm, in sure there are a lot to choose from on i.e. ebay. Could be bluetooth controlled (to some app) if you stay close and/or a warning signal (like the NineBot mini plus)

Disadvantages

- requires an extra hole that needs to be sealed not to get water in sensitive places (i think handle on tesla i nright above control board so for Tesla that really needs to be sealed well if put in that position)

- the extra hole will still be there if you change your mind later on

- you will need to draw new wires to the lock (between power button and lock) but i guess that's the least of concerns

- I'm sure any warranty will be gone

Archived