My Z10 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I took the Z10 to Palos Verdes / Redondo Beach, in Southern California for some trail riding and a little tour of the Redondo Beach Pier. The Z10 sure is a new wheel for riding in sand and soft terrain.

yup, that trail is like my pastures.

if people don’t think wheels are exercise, try riding them in a pasture.

rode mine a little today after a little on leash training with Bob and the s2. it’s been awhile since we practiced wheel walking so i prefer the little s2 for Bob’s safety starting out. like on the way back he tries to block me which forced me to step off and kick over the wheel.

can’t wait until it cools off and then i’ll be riding the z10 in the pastures with Bob.

and the z10 headlight works fine for me. starts illuminating about 4 feet in front of me and i’m generally looking out as far as i can like 15’ in front of me. i don’t have oncoming traffic though.

very humorous dorking it right in front of those people.

of all places. they probably hang out there because they know they’ll see good wheel crashes at that location.

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

What irritates more about the BT announcement is that "fake" British accent. It's like she is trying very hard to sound British but over does it. I connect to app, so I don't have to listen to it every time I accidentally turn the thing off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ziiten said:

What irritates more about the BT announcement is that "fake" British accent. It's like she is trying very hard to sound British but over does it. I connect to app, so I don't have to listen to it every time I accidentally turn the thing off.

I suppose we all would be more irritated if the Ninebot lady didn’t try to speak English at all and spoke in the most beautiful Chinese voice possible.

By the way: I love the voice and all sounds my Z10 makes. But then again, this might be an Asian thing like Anime, cosplay and visual kei, you guys from the West don’t really understand. ? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks Marty, Good or Bad, honest information is Great and I for one appreciate it... I guess I am lucky that I live in Florida and won't experience some of the issues you have out there... I did want to ask if you have any reason I should wait to update my app?... I rode yesterday for about 15 miles and it asked to update which I declined till I got some feedback... Thanks again :)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

I suppose we all would be more irritated if the Ninebot lady didn’t try to speak English at all and spoke in the most beautiful Chinese voice possible.

By the way: I love the voice and all sounds my Z10 makes. But then again, this might be an Asian thing like Anime, cosplay and visual kei, you guys from the West don’t really understand. ? 

Yeah, a wheel speaking Chinese would be cool. There should be a language setting in the app. I wonder by the way why my wheel marketed in China speaks English. Everything else is in Chinese and I would presume Chinese buyers would prefer to be spoken to in their own language; although I guess there are so many different varieties of Chinese that they would have difficulty deciding which one to use. Do majority understand Cantonese?

Edit: Did a quick search and it seems Mandarin would be a better choice, apparently most people understand it in China.

Edited by Ziiten
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Nice video, Marty. I'm surprised to hear the Z10 has the usual whine, you can hear it in a lot of videos. Is it as loud as the former Gotway or current KingSong whine? Sometimes it seems to depend on the direction whether one can hear it.

Z10 alarm is very difficult to hear it, only little wind and no you can't hear it, then if put music on speakers alarm is masked instead Kingsong that attenuates music to say "Please decelerate!" in blunt mode. it is a issue that needs improvement

6 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Nice video, Marty. I'm surprised to hear the Z10 has the usual whine, you can hear it in a lot of videos. Is it as loud as the former Gotway or current KingSong whine? Sometimes it seems to depend on the direction whether one can hear it.

The Z10 has a completely silent engine sound, you only hear the tire's rub against the pavement

• Like 1

I seem to have reached 50 km and now every time I connect to the app I get a nagging message to go read the safety instructions again. Done so but the message keeps popping up. Has any of you figured out how to get rid of the message - ride another 50 km and get a new message?

7 minutes ago, RoberAce said:

The Z10 has a completely silent engine sound, you only hear the tire's rub against the pavement

The engine is pretty silent but audible especially when accelerating. However, the moment you turn the wheel on there is a high frequency sound that is audible in many of Marty's videos on other wheels as well. I hear it on my wheel too. Don't know where it comes from but doesn't bother me that much.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ziiten said:

El motor es bastante silencioso pero audible, especialmente al acelerar. Sin embargo, en el momento en que enciendes la rueda hay un sonido de alta frecuencia que también se puede escuchar en muchos de los videos de Marty en otras ruedas. Lo escucho en mi rueda también. No sé de dónde viene, pero no me molesta demasiado.

compared to Rockwheel or Kingsong I would say that you do not hear at all

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, stephen said:

that's what i like about the msx it's so quiet very very quiet.. @Marty Backe surprised you not done a msx review ? have you not been riding it ?

Have you seen his videos? Z10 here, Z10 there. He even did a long range ride with his OLD msuper instead of the X. Maybe the two (Marty and the X) don't like each other. Maybe he's waiting for the wider side pads. Who knows... (Marty does:efee8319ab:)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Have you seen his videos? Z10 here, Z10 there. He even did a long range ride with his OLD msuper instead of the X. Maybe the two (Marty and the X) don't like each other. Maybe he's waiting for the wider side pads. Who knows... (Marty does:efee8319ab:)

maybe saving best till last ? it's the nicest ride is the msx it doesn't wobble what ever speed you go ?? and goes over anything ?

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I've noticed the motor whine in my videos. The camera picks it up. I've never heard any whine when standing next to the wheel. It's very quiet. When riding sometimes you can hear a whine when you pass by a wall on your side.

I would say it's quieter than most modern wheels, but not as quiet as the MSX.

37 minutes ago, Ziiten said:

I seem to have reached 50 km and now every time I connect to the app I get a nagging message to go read the safety instructions again. Done so but the message keeps popping up. Has any of you figured out how to get rid of the message - ride another 50 km and get a new message?

I've never seen this message. Hmmm.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, RoberAce said:

Don't you hear a little whine when you are riding next to a wall? I do.

But in general, the Z10 is much quieter than most other wheels.

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

I've noticed the motor whine in my videos. The camera picks it up. I've never heard any whine when standing next to the wheel. It's very quiet. When riding sometimes you can hear a whine when you pass by a wall on your side.

I don't hear any motor sound when you ride, but when you do video with a wheel just turned on (like today on the beach), there's the high pitch sound which apparently isn't coming from the motor but the electeonics.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I've never seen this message. Hmmm.

Maybe the wheel can tell you are more experienced, no need for tutorials.

• Like 1