Gotway ACM V2 Cut outs and vibration

So recently I took ownership of an ACM V2(which i didnt pay for) that had issues where it cut out randomly. 

After opening it up we found this:

36692114_10155434255660766_1235212060090957824_n

Two of the cables had so much going through them it melted together and also melted itself onto the casing.

With the help of @Marty Backe, @houseofjob @IvSusand @Tishawn Fahie and ing my referral program from eWheels, @Jason McNeil kindly sent me a left over motherboard which had about just under 2000km on it. The capacitor had a minor dent but the board seemed to operate fine. I mounted the board then went out for a ride and as I felt confident on the wheel and had no had any issues I went riding home and thats when it cut out on me. 

Coming to the conclusion it was because I didnt krimp two of the three newly soldered cables I did the wiring again this time cutting off the gold metal tubing originally attached to the cable from the motherboard side and went ahead with a cable to cable connection. I soldered, krimped and heat sinked. However now the machine vibrates and jerks especially when changing direction here are the videos:

video-1531273046

and

https://www.flickr.com/gp/158169862@N07/f056bJ

I am about to do a complete tear apart of the wheel and check the wiring.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Thank you for all the people who have helped me so far and who will continue to help me!

Jack

I already replied to Jack from a private message he sent me. Basically suggesting that he do a thorough check of the axle nuts and shims. Not hand tight mind you.

Anyway, maybe some of you guys will have a better suggestion for him :thumbup:

8 minutes ago, Ryan Sinatra said:

Oh no :( that axle is toast. Very difficult to fix despite just getting a new motor ?

i would need a motor with axel and preferably pedal 

Anyone that has any leads on a ACM V2 motor with healthy axel please let me know!

I wonder... Should one start with a total tear down with any vehicle delivered from gotway?

I dismounted my pedals and found that there was zero lubrication and worn shafts just after kilometers of riding.

20180711_215609.thumb.jpg.ebafae20f0ea3688332fb2b2e9b1e645.jpg

So some high pressure oscillation friendly grease to help out survive.. clean threads from grease residues and blue loctite on cap screws to make sure pedals stay in place of course

20180711_215726.thumb.jpg.adcc148ad1c242c4c6a3127767f252fb.jpg

Your free wheel is starting to turn into a not-so-free wheel ;)

On a positive note, you should be able to buy a new motor for ~$250. Try and buy new shims too, which are available for purchase.

26 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

On a positive note, you should be able to buy a new motor for ~$250. Try and buy new shims too, which are available for purchase.

Is this a price direct from Gotway? Cheapest I could find is 450 bucks but definitely believe you ?

9 minutes ago, Ryan Sinatra said:

Is this a price direct from Gotway? Cheapest I could find is 450 bucks but definitely believe you ?

I bought that exact motor (a replacement for one I burned up) from Speedyfeet. That's what I paid. Check his website and/or contact Ian (sometimes dealers have parts not listed on their website). Tell him I sent you :D

17 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

no its not, but the motor isnt so much and i'll contact my supplier in china so get a much lower rate than what aliexpress or ebay and other dealers have listed.

9 hours ago, Jack Frost said:

no its not, but the motor isnt so much and i'll contact my supplier in china so get a much lower rate than what aliexpress or ebay and other dealers have listed.

The trouble is that this vintage motor is no longer produced, all the new supply is 2000W, which is incompatible with the board. You're now looking at 1) replacing the board, 2) replacing the motor. As mentioned elsewhere, the reason why you can't find GW parts at a reasonable price, is because quite frankly, GW gouge anyone who needs spare parts, even their Distributors who are buying a lot of Wheels. 

Considering your situation, I'd recommend purchasing a batteryless MSX, you've got two perfectly good 650Wh packs, the cost of this solution, to give you one of the hottest new Wheels is just over $1000. 

That's kind of a strange business model, but I guess it's all about profit?  Maybe they are wanting to go the exotic car/BMW parts route where they want to maximize profit on everything?  Or maybe they just don't want to invest a lot of money in spare parts when their focus is mainly selling complete wheel packages?  You would think they order in large MOQ's at a low cost so stocking a few extra components shouldn't break the bank.  Unless maybe they order only enough to assemble the wheels, and any spare parts have to be special ordered in small amounts so they get charged a premium?  On the other hand, keeping spare part prices high and scarce helps sell newer wheel releases I guess, but it doesn't bode well for those who want to keep riding their initial investment for a long time.

If they sold spare parts at a lower profit, more people wouldn't mind refurbishing older wheels and keep them running.  One could get a beat up older ACM that has the shakes, and replace the control board / shims / shell for cheap and have a decent wheel without breaking the bank.  That would keep more of their wheels running.  I remember a Toyota commercial stating how 80-90% of their vehicles made were still on the road.  It would be nice if Gotway adopted a similar business model for reliability and after care support.

https://www.toyotaofnaperville.com/80-of-toyotas-vehicles-still-on-the-road-today/

15 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

The trouble is that this vintage motor is no longer produced, all the new supply is 2000W, which is incompatible with the board. You're now looking at 1) replacing the board, 2) replacing the motor. As mentioned elsewhere, the reason why you can't find GW parts at a reasonable price, is because quite frankly, GW gouge anyone who needs spare parts, even their Distributors who are buying a lot of Wheels. 

Considering your situation, I'd recommend purchasing a batteryless MSX, you've got two perfectly good 650Wh packs, the cost of this solution, to give you one of the hottest new Wheels is just over $1000. 

That might be a good route Jason. Appreciate it, than you!

Yeah the MSX for $1k would be awesome! ?

Worst case scenario, remove the axle and replace it, if cannot find one go into a proper machine shop and ask the price for machining one for you and then you could also pick a higher quality steel in the process?

If there is a dent in a capacitor that could be swapped out too for a very small cost, just get a quality cap and if one of the large ones do both at same time.

Archived