MSuper X vs. KS18L: Has Gotway become 'safe enough'?

1 minute ago, Vikas said:

Marty I have a quick question for you, if you don't mind. I was wondering what is the hottest temperature that you have taken a gotway for a spin in? Thanks.

Over 100-degrees.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you occasionally ride with others (I do) then get the 1600 wheel. The extra safe range will keep you out of trouble.

There's a tendency to override a wheel when around others; 1600 will absolutely keep you safe when around those dinky OneWheels.

21 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Over 100-degrees.

Marty If I am on your side of the coast would you mind if I rode with you and company perhaps?

I have relatives on that side whom I do visit

20 minutes ago, Vikas said:

Marty If I am on your side of the coast would you mind if I rode with you and company perhaps?

I have relatives on that side whom I do visit

I'm always up for group rides, just depends on my schedule for any given weekend.

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm always up for group rides, just depends on my schedule for any given weekend.

Thankyou very much Marty, it's much appreciated.I will commit that to memory, next time I am on the west coast. 

13 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Until @Hunka Hunka Burning Love gets his store going with all that T-shirts, hats, under ware and who knows what...  You'll become household name brand and so much for riding with you... ;)

I have an MSuper V3 and love it, but I need more range.  I want to start doing those 5-hour rides.  So I put down my $200 on eWheels for an MSuper X, but maybe I should go for a Monster 100v.  Marty (or anyone) - do you have any thoughts on this?

2 hours ago, Roger Reece said:

I have an MSuper V3 and love it, but I need more range.  I want to start doing those 5-hour rides.  So I put down my $200 on eWheels for an MSuper X, but maybe I should go for a Monster 100v.  Marty (or anyone) - do you have any thoughts on this?

Since you already have MSuper V3, how about considering ACM2 (16") which is Martys favorite wheel with 1600wh.  I have one and love it.  I've also ordered MSX with 1600wh.  

2 hours ago, Roger Reece said:

At this point it's exceedingly rare that I need to ride my Monster because of the extra range that it offers. 1600wh of battery can get me 55-miles which is a pretty full day.

The Monster is a fantastic wheel but falls more into the specialized category vs the more general purpose MSuper. Then again you already have an MSuper so the MSuper X will be a very nice upgrade but will feel familiar.

I'm one for new experiences so I might recommend the Monster because it's a totally different beast than any other wheel that you'll ride. And except for going to the grocery store or riding in densely populated areas, the Monster will do everything you want and you'll never have to look at the battery level again.

12 hours ago, LanghamP said:

If you occasionally ride with others (I do) then get the 1600 wheel. The extra safe range will keep you out of trouble.

There's a tendency to override a wheel when around others; 1600 will absolutely keep you safe when around those dinky OneWheels.

You're still alive! Long time no see!

On topic, the tendency to override is equally there when you ride alone:efee8319ab: And it isn't over-riding, it's normal riding, just using all the range you have. Which is never enough!

On 7/1/2018 at 2:53 AM, Marty Backe said:

You likely can predict what I may say, but I'll just add this tidbit. I believe Gotway wheels, assuming that they work out of the box, are reliable wheels and very unlikely to fail unless you ride them at extremes. However, the MSX has big improvements which will probably prevent failures in at the extremes now (very steep long hills, etc.)

I suspect your biggest decision driver is the range, and the MSuper advantage there is huge. Although the 18L will throttle your upper speeds, if you ride mostly under 20-mph you'll unlikely encounter throttling to an extent that it will bother you. However, the fact that you focus a bit on the throttling makes me think you might regret the KS18L choice.

Personally, I'll always pick the bigger capacity battery, but I like long rides. If you're a 15-mile ride guy than the MSuper advantage doesn't mean much.

Yes! ?

Not all people ride fast and also many who kind of do at times yet still don't want to admit it to self or admit that time they push the wheel a bit harder, whether that be for a mile or just accelerating pass a few cars to let go off the "gas" again. Even if you do not ride that fast you would still have a lot of margin and that in itself is a safety feature, correct?

The range, yes a lot more but again to me not as simple as theoretical. We all know the li ion batteries will last longer if you do not charge them to max every single time again and again, so if charging to 90% or perhaps even less that will shorten the range + if anything like me I don't wait til at 20% and charge again, nope I top up whenever given the chance and even enjoy full charge a lot more since the wheel is more more responsive so whether 1k or 1.6k Wh that could mean less usable batt in real life but so again I am a heavier guy and I like accelerations, speed. My 820Wh pack is way too limited for me, I will get more out of a 1600Wh  and not feel like charging all the time.

Marty, you wrote over 100 degrees but do you mean Farenheit or Celsius? Cause quite a difference and 38c is not as bad as 100c to me. ?

8 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

At 100°C he'd be dead and the wheel would have overheated 20K ago:eff00eab1e:

:roflmao:

You beat me to it :)

I suspect faster wheels may have higher failure rates than previous generation wheels while apparently having lower failure rates.

My reasoning goes this way: survivorship bias has people crashing harder at higher speeds on newer more powerful wheels. As newer wheel prices continue to climb upwards (due to increasing production costs and constraints on dealer markets), the average age of riders able to afford wheels continues to creep upward. Older riders, however, are more vulnerable to falls.

In short, while Segway One owners could get back to us complaining about their wheel failures at 10 mph, no such rider on a 30 mph crash is likely to be in any condition to report back afterwards. Wheel owners who have not yet experienced a wheel failure will think they have a pretty safe wheel.

13 minutes ago, EUC GUY said:

I got you guys covered. heres some good high quality photos of my 100v msuper x. https://www.flickr.com/photos/143090194@N03/?

So it's 1040Wh 1240Wh... oh well, why didn't they just design a new shell so they could have a 100V wheel with a big battery at the same time???!!! Now the msuper X buyers are thrown under the bus, but the 100V version has a small battery:efef895ddd:

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

So it's 1040Wh... oh well, why didn't they just design a new shell so they could have a 100V wheel with a big battery at the same time???!!! Now the msuper X buyers are thrown under the bus, but the 100V version has a small battery:efef895ddd:

its 1230wh 100v

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

So it's 1040Wh... oh well, why didn't they just design a new shell so they could have a 100V wheel with a big battery at the same time???!!! Now the msuper X buyers are thrown under the bus, but the 100V version has a small battery:efef895ddd:

still room for more. if i want later i can order custom sized packs and add. 

Sorry, my mistake. I wrote (and thought) 1040Wh but it was always 1240Wh ("1230"). Everything is as expected.

The complaint is the same though: why should GW build a new shell for a 100V + big battery wheel, when they can milk their customers with competing half-good versions? Pfff...:efef895ddd:

56 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

At 100°C he'd be dead and the wheel would have overheated 20K ago:eff00eab1e:

Hehe, yeah the wheel would not feel very well at that point! ?

However, for those who just do C and no clue about F I wanted to make a point, carefully bringing it forward, in other words it's just lukewarm more or less

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Sorry, my mistake. I wrote (and thought) 1040Wh but it was always 1240Wh ("1230"). Everything is as expected.

The complaint is the same though: why should GW build a new shell for a 100V + big battery wheel, when they can milk their customers with competing half-good versions? Pfff...:efef895ddd:

what do you mean here? 100v and 84 have identical shell,motor and components other than battery and pcb.   Theres not enough room for 1600wh and 100v without building custom battery packs. i think that would require much more work on their part. i also dont think the 84v is any "worse" :)

Well, my complaint from the start about the X was that they should just have built a new shell design for it. Everything is new but the core shell. And now they run into the space problem with 100V vs 84V batteries. Why not a design that can be fully utilized by both (or just go for 100V right away)? Maybe that will be a next step.

And pretty sure the 100V rides snappier than the 84V, so the 84V is worse, isn't it?

Archived