how many current euc riders in the world?

novazeus

I presume we are excluding those skateboard things, but including "retired" unicycle pilots, which is to say, folks who got a unicycle that subsequently broke and wasn't replaced.

It will be easiest to start with the number of sales.  Judging by what one reads in this Forum, the number of unicycle pilots would be about 1/3rd the number of unicycles in pilots' closets.  And that number of closets, in turn, is about 1-20th of the number of households that possess a unicycle but have not figured out how to use it.  The latter category would encompass acquisition by gift, inheritance, misdelivery, or ill-advised late-night internet purchase followed by a handful of crashes in the living-room, bent lampshades, and eventually the junk heap in the attic. 

Without going into details, I can relate that exactly 32,767 units have been sold to addresses in the United States.  The coefficients are pure conjecture, but it would follow that there are just over 800 riders in the USA.  Since the world does not wobble, we deduce that unicycles are evenly distributed over the planet (which would sadly indicate quite a few in the oceans), giving about 3200 riders overall. 

On 5/7/2018 at 5:22 PM, Biped Phil said:

I presume we are excluding those skateboard things, but including "retired" unicycle pilots, which is to say, folks who got a unicycle that subsequently broke and wasn't replaced.

It will be easiest to start with the number of sales.  Judging by what one reads in this Forum, the number of unicycle pilots would be about 1/3rd the number of unicycles in pilots' closets.  And that number of closets, in turn, is about 1-20th of the number of households that possess a unicycle but have not figured out how to use it.  The latter category would encompass acquisition by gift, inheritance, misdelivery, or ill-advised late-night internet purchase followed by a handful of crashes in the living-room, bent lampshades, and eventually the junk heap in the attic. 

Without going into details, I can relate that exactly 32,767 units have been sold to addresses in the United States.  The coefficients are pure conjecture, but it would follow that there are just over 800 riders in the USA.  Since the world does not wobble, we deduce that unicycles are evenly distributed over the planet (which would sadly indicate quite a few in the oceans), giving about 3200 riders overall. 

See @Hunka Hunka Burning Love, this is how you demonstrate humility concerning your vast knowledge reservoirs. I take my hat off to @Biped Phil for his eloquence and succinctness in answering this very important question. I thank you sir :eff00eab1e:

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

See @Hunka Hunka Burning Love, this is how you demonstrate humility concerning your vast knowledge reservoirs. I take my hat off to @Biped Phil for his eloquence and succinctness in answering this very important question. I thank you sir :eff00eab1e:

Meh, it's easy to pull some unverifiable numbers out of a hat and do some voodoo magic to draw some data points on pure speculation to impress the masses.  The devil's in the details!  Where's the cool references and hard evidence?  :smartass:

Eloquence smelowence and succulent succotash.   Humility is way over-rated.  It's just a few letters different from another word - humili...ation.  I say simply gawk at my immense brain power and sheer incredible knowledge!  Bask in my verbal spewage!

In any case, everyone knows the answer to the grammatically questionable question "how many current EUC riders in the world?"  It's zero.  We're all on the world, not in it!  Well, unless there's someone practicing riding in some underground bunker somewhere.  :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Meh, it's easy to pull some unverifiable numbers out of a hat and do some voodoo magic to draw some data points on pure speculation to impress the masses.  The devil's in the details!  Where's the cool references and hard evidence?  :smartass:

Eloquence smelowence and succulent succotash.   Humility is way over-rated.  It's just a few letters different from another word - humili...ation.  I say simply gawk at my immense brain power and sheer incredible knowledge!  Bask in my verbal spewage!

In any case, everyone knows the answer to the grammatically questionable question "how many current EUC riders in the world?"  It's zero.  We're all on the world, not in it!  Well, unless there's someone practicing riding in some underground bunker somewhere.  :ph34r:

i think ur confusing world with earth.

like ur in a world of trouble. 

i was surprised how few forum members there are.

6 hours ago, novazeus said:

i think ur confusing world with earth.

like ur in a world of trouble. 

i was surprised how few forum members there are.

I believe the membership in this Forum represents a tiny fraction of total users. Most people don't speak English, so that eliminates the majority pool. Many people don't seem to find the Forum for some reason. And finally, many people know about the Forum but decide to read it but not join. During our last group ride one of the participants was an active user of the Forum but was not a member. He 'lurked'.

6 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

I've still never seen a person riding one in real life. I think there are like 26 wheelers in the US :D

You're from Seattle. Isn't that where Solowheel was? Surprised you haven't seen other riders. You must not get out into the world enough ;) 

31 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

I've still never seen a person riding one in real life. I think there are like 26 wheelers in the US :D

US is overrated, come to Brussels, I see EUC, onewheel, electric scooters, electric longboard riders everyday ?.

In Belgium, we are already a few hundreds EUC riders just in Facebook groups, there are about 10-20 people every month coming to Brussels local learning sessions, and I thought 12 people how to ride. I would not be surprised if there was a few thousands casual/regular EUC riders just in Belgium, and probably many more in France.

11 minutes ago, em1barns said:

US is overrated, come to Brussels, I see EUC, onewheel, electric scooters, electric longboard riders everyday ?.

In Belgium, we are already a few hundreds EUC riders just in Facebook groups, there are about 10-20 people every month coming to Brussels local learning sessions, and I thought 12 people how to ride. I would not be surprised if there was a few thousands casual/regular EUC riders just in Belgium, and probably many more in France.

It's all about density. The US is over 300 times bigger than Belgium, so things are a bit more spread out here.

You're lucky to have such an active community there.

A rough lower bound estimate of riders can be obtained by the number of full-time distributors surviving in US. I would say that a full-time distributor in US must sell 1000+/year EUCs to survive. There are just about 2 full-time distributors, ewheels and nbus in US. So, in last 3 years, there are about 6000 new riders in US.

If this number 6000 riders in US is true, then how often do we expect to see someone riding one? Assuming that these riders are distributed in 100 cities, that is just about 60 per city. And majority time of a day, they are working or day is dark, so it is hard to see one.

42 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It's all about density. The US is over 300 times bigger than Belgium, so things are a bit more spread out here.

The entirety of Belgium has 11+ M people. Los Angeles area has about the same, greater LA metropolitan area is 18+ M. Very roughly the same geographic size as Belgium.

So either American riders just are less visible, or Belgium is officially better :efeebb3acc:

30 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You're from Seattle. Isn't that where Solowheel was? Surprised you haven't seen other riders. You must not get out into the world enough ;) 

You're right. I don't live downtown, I live 20 minutes north (3 hours in the right traffic :) ) and I work pretty close to home. I don't see anyone on my way to and from work or on my rides I take. I'm not very social also, so I don't show up at any events. Definitely partly my fault, but everyone I know says they've seen someone else riding one somewhere and I still haven't. If I came across someone riding one I feel like I'd be a real weirdo and maybe go in for a hug :D

18 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

You're right. I don't live downtown, I live 20 minutes north (3 hours in the right traffic :) ) and I work pretty close to home. I don't see anyone on my way to and from work or on my rides I take. I'm not very social also, so I don't show up at any events. Definitely partly my fault, but everyone I know says they've seen someone else riding one somewhere and I still haven't. If I came across someone riding one I feel like I'd be a real weirdo and maybe go in for a hug :D

:laughbounce2:

28 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The entirety of Belgium has 11+ M people. Los Angeles area has about the same, greater LA metropolitan area is 18+ M. Very roughly the same geographic size as Belgium.

So either American riders just are less visible, or Belgium is officially better :efeebb3acc:

I think I could come up with a list of 40+ names of people that I know about who ride in Southern California. Most don't seem to participate in social media. And it's like pulling teeth to get group ride participation, so I guess Southern California riders are more anti-social than our brethren in other locations (like Northern California, just to name one).

I remember hearing from Jason that he sells lots of wheels to California addresses.

there’s only 6507 members of this forum. i would think this activity is very forum dependent, learning how to ride and staying on top of mechanical problems. maybe there’s a lot of people that don’t join the forum but just read. 

i presume once u join the forum, it’s like the mob, u can’t unjoin. 

i can’t imagine, somebody like me, who saw one in 2015 (and that’s the only one ever to this date) and in 2017 decided i wanted to learn about them not winding up here,  google search is gonna bring u here. 

i’m gonna guess 3000 in the usa. maybe another 7000 worldwide.

i wonder how many eucs jason sells a year. 

before wheels ever get any momentum the escooters, eskateboards, ebikes, ehoverboards, ewhatever, and ron will have probably already turned the world against us.

In Paris, France, I can see 4 or 5 wheels a day. It is a small city compared to LA ;).

It will be interesting tout have the number of visitors of this site and bounce rate. I think it would give us an idea of wheel riders.

9 hours ago, kasenutty said:

Actually there will be 27 wheelers in the US come Friday. 

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I don’t think solowheel sold that many wheels charging their premium prices!  I bought knockoffs, even though solowheel was the first I’ve seen on YouTube 4 years ago.

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I think I could come up with a list of 40+ names of people that I know about who ride in Southern California. Most don't seem to participate in social media. And it's like pulling teeth to get group ride participation, so I guess Southern California riders are more anti-social than our brethren in other locations (like Northern California, just to name one).

I remember hearing from Jason that he sells lots of wheels to California addresses.

What is lots? 20? 50? 100?  I highly doubt 1000...  

Someone mention inmotion has 70k registrations.   Haven’t a clue.   But I’ve also never seen a EUC rider in the wild, except last year at some bike event in nyc.  Since then, zero.

45 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Actually there will be 27 wheelers in the US come Friday. 

glad u cleared that up for us. how many on the rest of the planet?

17 minutes ago, novazeus said:

u know, it was a serious question but the responses make me laugh and that’s better than serious answers.

:roflmao::laughbounce2::roflmao:

Archived