New Tesla Design Tweaks - venting ???

I just saw this post from Gotway America on their Facebook page. Their new shipment of Tesla's have vent holes in the front.

This is a very bad sign and decision by Gotway. It means that my Tesla will be overheating in the summer (Gotway must be hearing about problems). And can you imagine all of the dirt that's going to get sucked into the wheel now (some people, like me, enjoy riding these wheels on trails).

We can hope (but I have my doubts) that the internal shell has been modified to restrict this airflow such that it can't directly touch the electronics or axle.

Does anyone ( @Jason McNeil ) have any additional insight?

27459565_850225758492633_529519950923124

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

This makes no sense, there's nothing behind there that could even be vented. Maybe some production thing or so? Not even Gotway would make useless holes that allow rain the direct route to the electronics.

Gotway America (who actually has the wheels) is describing them as ventilation holes.

I'm guessing that @Jason McNeil has also just received his shipment of new Tesla's. I wonder if they also have this "feature" - not!

10 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

So, which do you like better, overheating or water damage? :)

Can I have a 3rd choice of None, just like the ACM and MSuper. This isn't brain surgery.

6 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

This makes no sense, there's nothing behind there that could even be vented. Maybe some production thing or so? Not even Gotway would make useless holes that allow rain the direct route to the electronics.

But it means less materials, which saves someone (Gotway?) some money...

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm guessing that @Jason McNeil has also just received his shipment of new Tesla's. I wonder if they also have this "feature" - not!

Interesting, our long-awaited batch of Teslas just arrived last evening (including your ACMv2), will open a box up & check this out. Thanks for the heads-up!

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

Interesting, our long-awaited batch of Teslas just arrived last evening (including your ACMv2), will open a box up & check this out. Thanks for the heads-up!

:w00t2:

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

You are killng me here Jason!!!

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

You are killng me here Jason!!!

I don't know @Rehab1. You're beginning to sound like a guy that just may continue to ride, given healing of both body and mind :thumbup:

EDIT: And get rid of that damn knobby tire!

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Gotway America (who actually has the wheels) is describing them as ventilation holes.

I always wondered how heat could be effectively dissipated with the internal fans if there’s no ventilation holes. 

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't know @Rehab1. You're beginning to sound like a guy that just may continue to ride, given healing of both body and mind :thumbup:

EDIT: And get ride of that damn knobby tire!

I haven’t had surgery yet and the bug it back. My staff quickly squashed it. 

1 minute ago, Rehab1 said:

I always wondered how heat could be effectively dissipated with the internal fans if there’s no ventilation holes. 

Gotway should contract your services, being the Master of ventilated designs :D

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Gotway should contract your services, being the Master of ventilated designs :D

I still have one good arm to drill holes. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/1/2018 at 1:44 AM, Marty Backe said:

I just saw this post from Gotway America on their Facebook page. Their new shipment of Tesla's have vent holes in the front.

This is a very bad sign and decision by Gotway. It means that my Tesla will be overheating in the summer (Gotway must be hearing about problems). And can you imagine all of the dirt that's going to get sucked into the wheel now (some people, like me, enjoy riding these wheels on trails).

We can hope (but I have my doubts) that the internal shell has been modified to restrict this airflow such that it can't directly touch the electronics or axle.

Does anyone ( @Jason McNeil ) have any additional insight?

27459565_850225758492633_529519950923124

Wait, let's not panic !!! They could be Speed Holes

On 31.1.2018 at 2:08 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

Actually this makes „a bit sense“...

The board sits under the handle far away on top...but is unfortunately-until now- in a total close envirement with its 2 fans. Not even the heatsink is „free“ and outside the wheel. This holes sit at a point very much under the board, tunnels reach up to the handle, so now at least some fresh air can get in or the heat can get out.

Water has nearly no chance to reach the board/electrinics, as the board is placed much higher and only a tunnel is reaching to this holes sitting under the lights.

Not the best idea....as for sure dust and dirt gets in over time....but at least they try something against the heatsink sitting in a close chamber.

Like always....bad luck for the early buyers of the Tesla....first it was a wire cutting sidepad, now it are air vents for overheating.

The Tesla is really a fantastic wheel...now in its version...i dont know...v3? ;-)

Archived