Police Tighten the Noose in London

Smoother

Today I found this message in my email:

"I got stopped by a police officer on a bike this morning around the bottom of Hyde Park, near Hyde Park Corner. He told me that they are illegal and he didn't want to see me on one again. Looks like I'll be using my Brompton for commuting now! I believe that they are allowed to confiscate them, but luckily he didn't (guess he didn't want the paperwork)"

It's from a member of the Facebook London EUC Riders group, (Name withheld)

So in a second, that rider's riding is through or in jeopardy if he ever rides in that area again. And yes, I do believe they can and do confiscate illegal "vehicles". Under English law an EUC is effectively a motorcycle; an unregistered, untaxed, uninspected, and uninsured motorcycle, so illegal everywhere except private land.

I'm afraid incidents of this type will only get more frequent.  If I got told that where I live, I'm grounded.  The police station is 300m away.

I'm so glad I'll be off abroad again, soon.

On a side note, I walked passed a GotWay rider in Bromley yesterday, in the rain.  Tesla I think, or maybe MCM4 (I can't tell them apart at a moving glance). It was a miserable day, and anyone riding in it would not be riding for pleasure, so I didn't think it was fair to flag him down for a chat.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh man that sucks. It looks like England never got the laws that Segway pushed for here in the US around 2000 when they came out. In most states the laws are generally broad enough to allow all sorts of low-speed electric devices on sidewalks and bike lanes unless specifically prohibited by local laws. We still don't see a lot of Segways, hoverboards, electric scooters, or EUCs here but at least legal issues don't prevent them. 

The challenge I can see to changing the law is that there isn't a large constituency of EUC riders to make noise to the government. I suspect there would be a lot of objection to changing the laws given the generally horrible infrastructure I see in videos. Pedestrians won't want them on paths or sidewalks and motorists/motorcyclists/bicyclists definitely won't want them on streets. Over time, maybe they will become popular enough in the EU that England will see the benefit and legalize them, but it seems like that will take a long time.

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

Today I found this message in my email:

"I got stopped by a police officer on a bike this morning around the bottom of Hyde Park, near Hyde Park Corner. He told me that they are illegal and he didn't want to see me on one again. Looks like I'll be using my Brompton for commuting now! I believe that they are allowed to confiscate them, but luckily he didn't (guess he didn't want the paperwork)"

It's from a member of the Facebook London EUC Riders group, (Name withheld)

So in a second, that rider's riding is through or in jeopardy if he ever rides in that area again. And yes, I do believe they can and do confiscate illegal "vehicles". Under English law an EUC is effectively a motorcycle; an unregistered, untaxed, uninspected, and uninsured motorcycle, so illegal everywhere except private land.

I'm afraid incidents of this type will only get more frequent.  If I got told that where I live, I'm grounded.  The police station is 300m away.

I'm so glad I'll be off abroad again, soon.

On a side note, I walked passed a GotWay rider in Bromley yesterday, in the rain.  Tesla I think, or maybe MCM4 (I can't tell them apart at a moving glance). It was a miserable day, and anyone riding in it would not be riding for pleasure, so I didn't think it was fair to flag him down for a chat.

This is so disturbing. You don't know how much this bothers me, that authorities can control ones life over something that bothers essentially no one. I don't know what I'd do if that happened here. Fortunately I doubt I'll ever have to worry about it. 

I think the way to move forwards would be to write to local MPs and raise a petition on change.org. I've seen petitions in the past, and, had I been aware of them, I would have signed them.

Perhaps the smart way to approach the petition would be to raise awareness of a date the petition will start and then circulate that date. There might be enough numbers if people have enough heads up that they can get involved, but that might take time and the petition may have expired. There's certainly been an uprising in numbers the last couple of years of riders in the UK, so perhaps it's time to start a new petition to try and get them made legal. With the advent of them being made legal in Denmark this year, it could provide a more compelling argument.

I'm just going to throw this out there. Given this recent  'tightening of the noose' stance by the London authorities is there possibly an underlying concern that a EUC could be used to carry out a terrorist attack in the city? There would be enough room inside to conceal a bomb. I know, I know.....I'm just imagining this scenario.

42 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I'm just going to throw this out there. Given this recent  'tightening of the noose' stance by the London authorities is there possibly an underlying concern that a EUC could be used to carry out a terrorist attack in the city? There would be enough room inside to conceal a bomb. I know, I know.....I'm just imagining this scenario.

I really doubt it.  An EUC is not remote controlled so trying to pack one with explosives really wouldn't be beneficial.  

4 hours ago, Smoother said:

That is sad to hear.  Do they regulate electric bikes and electric skateboards in the same way? 

1 minute ago, Cranium said:

I really doubt it.  An EUC is not remote controlled so trying to pack one with explosives really wouldn't be beneficial.  

RC? Terrorists don't care if they perish.  

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

RC? Terrorists don't care if they perish.  

Yes, so they would just carry it with them in a backpack, briefcase, or strapped to them.  My point is that there would be little benefit to go through the effort of fitting it in something like a EUC which has very little room.  They could probably keister more than what would fit in an EUC.

Image result for Doomsday Clock

7 minutes ago, Ben Pearson said:

I'm going to spend some time drafting a petition and a letter to the Major of London. Once I have something worth looking at, I'll aim to circulate it for feedback before sending.

I'd open with this:

Ovyy6vf.gif

I would start with the officer this way- Well officer I can see there will be no getting around those two eyes of yours, but perhaps I can appeal to your other sense. The sense of fair play. You see this community with your two eyes? I would say there are about 40,000 from this community on you at any given day. Why dont you consider this a technologically developed one wheeled pair of roller skates and screen it for security if you must, but there are clearly better ways to secure London. We will be watching your contributions to the safety effort closely. Now get along, nothing to see here. (Wave your hand by revolving your wrist in a very dismissive manner) :P:whistling:

I wouldn't worry too much.....was this guy by any chance overweight and bald/balding? All the time I've been in H.P, I've only ever been stopped twice and both times was this guy. He has something personal against them. Every other officer (including vans that pass me) never seem to give a damn. Although I haven't ridden since  Christmas.

ps. I don't think he has the power to confiscate your personal property. Asking (ordering) you to leave the park is the best he can do.

23 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

I would start with the officer this way- Well officer I can see there will be no getting around those two eyes of yours, but perhaps I can appeal to your other sense. The sense of fair play. You see this community with your two eyes? I would say there are about 40,000 from this community on you at any given day. Why dont you consider this a technologically developed one wheeled pair of roller skates and screen it for security if you must, but there are clearly better ways to secure London. We will be watching your contributions to the safety effort closely. Now get along, nothing to see here. (Wave your hand by revolving your wrist in a very dismissive manner) :P:whistling:

That would be fun to watch.:popcorn:

36 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

I don't think he has the power to confiscate your personal property

It's may be personal property, but it's also an unregistered, unlicensed, untaxed, uninsured, motorcycle, in the eyes of the law. It is just like so many other illegally operated vehicles in the UK, which the police confiscate and crush. GotWay Tesla or Vespa scooter, its all the same to them.

Soon after starting this thread I went for a ride, and  crossed the path of a police car.  With this story fresh in my mind I decided to remove myself from their presence, just in case. So I wheeled down an alley.  Which Alley? only the one that runs down the side of the police station. :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, Smoother said:

It's may be personal property, but it's also an unregistered, unlicensed, untaxed, uninsured, motorcycle, in the eyes of the law. It is just like so many other illegally operated vehicles in the UK, which the police confiscate and crush. GotWay Tesla or Vespa scooter, its all the same to them.

Soon after starting this thread I went for a ride, and  crossed the path of a police car.  With this story fresh in my mind I decided to remove myself from their presence, just in case. So I wheeled down an alley.  Which Alley? only the one that runs down the side of the police station. :facepalm:

I would hate to be in your situation where you are constantly looking over your back to avoid the police. It sucks!

23 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I would hate to be in your situation where you are constantly looking over your back to avoid the police. It sucks!

I feel sorry for those that have to call the UK their home ( for this reason, not for anything else,ok  maybe the weather, and the price of gas,) Me, I'm putting the wheels back on my RV soon,  and heading to mainland Europe where most countries don't give a shit.

I wasn't as sensitive to this risk as much I should have been when I first started riding.  Anything that brings you into contact with the police, in general, carries a danger if you end up with the wrong cop.  If you haven't had the experience, be very grateful.      

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

I feel sorry for those that have to call the UK their home ( for this reason, not for anything else,ok  maybe the weather, and the price of gas,) Me, I'm putting the wheels back on my RV soon,  and heading to mainland Europe where most countries don't give a shit.

Your welcome here. Since summer 2014, the Beyoglu Municipal Police in Istanbul have had their daily routines transformed with electric unicycles. Speeding past their fellow citizens on Istiklal Street, which is the equivalent of London’s Oxford Street, they have far greater visibility and attend criminal incidents noticeably quicker.

28120698359_1904b8a0b8_b.jpg

4 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Your welcome here. Since summer 2014, the Beyoglu Municipal Police in Istanbul have had their daily routines transformed with electric unicycles. Speeding past their fellow citizens on Istiklal Street, which is the equivalent of London’s Oxford Street, they have far greater visibility and attend criminal incidents noticeably quicker.

28120698359_1904b8a0b8_b.jpg

They must look like Superheroes on those things appearing at a crime scene all done up like Mac Davis.

12 hours ago, Cranium said:

That is sad to hear.  Do they regulate electric bikes and electric skateboards in the same way? 

Here in the UK electric bikes are allowed so long as they are pedal assisted and the top speed is 15mph. Electric skateboards and scooters can only be used on private land.

6 hours ago, Smoother said:

I have only had one Special Police Officer stop me and mention I shouldn't be riding on the pavement but he didn't get back to me with a definitive answer as to whether EUC's were illegal or not. I have spoken to other actual Police officers and either been passed by or passed, at traffic lights, numerous Police cars and vans and not had any problems. They definitely see me as I'm not small myself and neither is the Monster. I don't make eye contact mostly just casually ride on but when I have made eye contact I've had smiles, laughter, nods and looks of confusion. :) 

I always ride carefully and considerately and if there isn't space I smile and politely give pedestrians the right of way. If they have a positive experience when they come across someone on an EUC then there's likely to be no complaints. It will just take one serious incident though - I do worry that one day someone will run out in front of me and the Monster will break their ankles or something so I'm always cautious with corners, raised hedges and driveways basically anywhere I don't have a clear view..

8 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

the Beyoglu Municipal Police in Istanbul

It always amazes me how easy it is to sneak up on people on these things.  They have no idea you are there until you get their attention, or pass by.  I do believe that, absent employee injury concerns e.g face plant, these things would make excellent security patrol vehicles on campus like properties.  When I'm on my wheel at the beach, I feel like I am everywhere all the time, anytime.  People think I am behind them, and then I pop up in front of them from a different road or path. Once they lose sight of me they have no idea where I might pop up next. It would be so easy to catch people performing crimes because they think no one can see (littering, not cleaning up dog poo, etc).

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

It would be so easy to catch people performing crimes because they think no one can see (littering, not cleaning up dog poo, etc).

Not cleaning up dog poo is a crime? The next your out riding try to look official and place a red or blue flashing light on top your helmet and carry a pooper scooper.  

39009485535_12a1a71717_b.jpg

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Not cleaning up dog poo is a crime? The next your out riding try to look official and place a red or blue flashing light on top your helmet and carry a pooper scooper.  

39009485535_12a1a71717_b.jpg

What really confuses me about this picture besides the matching Marty shoes with the Dorothy Hammil hot pants and the ominous possible pneumatic self attenuating EUC pole/handle is the fact that - Although it is hot enough to wear such a skimpy outfit, these two alibaster porcelain dolls appear to have never graced the presence of the sun with their skin. Does it just rocket to 80°F from 40° for a day then receede where they are? Not even their faces have any color. Their inner thighs are blindingly white, but they mustve learned to EUC in shorts somewhere right? Did they learn in an airplane hanger or a subway tunnel? There are no knee pad tan lines or anything...:blink1:

way too many sociological questions raised by this picture to comment any further. I am sure I could ask questions about this pic all day and never tire..:huh:

Archived