Police Tighten the Noose in London

Smoother

10 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

What really confuses me about this picture besides the matching Marty shoes with the Dorothy Hammil hot pants and the ominous possible pneumatic self attenuating EUC pole/handle is the fact that - Although it is hot enough to wear such a skimpy outfit, these two alibaster porcelain dolls appear to have never graced the presence of the sun with their skin. Does it just rocket to 80°F from 40° for a day then receede where they are? Not even their faces have any color. Their inner thighs are blindingly white, but they mustve learned to EUC in shorts somewhere right? Did they learn in an airplane hanger or a subway tunnel? There are no knee pad tan lines or anything...:blink1:

way too many sociological questions raised by this picture to comment any further. I am sure I could ask questions about this pic all day and never tire..:huh:

I've actually been to their company and met one of them. VAT19.

And yes, the temperature often goes between 40 to 80 degrees. Just last week it went from -5 to 60 in a day.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stan Onymous said:

What really confuses me about this picture besides the matching Marty shoes with the Dorothy Hammil hot pants and the ominous possible pneumatic self attenuating EUC pole/handle is the fact that - Although it is hot enough to wear such a skimpy outfit, these two alibaster porcelain dolls appear to have never graced the presence of the sun with their skin. Does it just rocket to 80°F from 40° for a day then receede where they are? Not even their faces have any color. Their inner thighs are blindingly white, but they mustve learned to EUC in shorts somewhere right? Did they learn in an airplane hanger or a subway tunnel? There are no knee pad tan lines or anything...:blink1:

way too many sociological questions raised by this picture to comment any further. I am sure I could ask questions about this pic all day and never tire..:huh:

You obviously haven't seen the video that this is from. They are riding the version of an EUC that is much more like a unicycle. Here it is for your enjoyment :D

I wrote to my MP a couple of weeks back about the legality issue and the hypocracy of the government saying it is pro green issues and yet prosecuting people who use first and last mile transport. He’s making “enquiries”.

The only hope we have of getting anywhere is to join forces with the eskate and electric scooter enthusiasts to get sufficient numbers. 

Personally I have never had any issues. I’m a local counciler and use my V8 to ride to parish council meetings which our local police officer also attends quite often - she’s never made any comment...

Reality check.

The only electric unlicenced and unisured veicles alowed in public areas in uk are mobility scooters with maximun speed of 5 m/h or electric assisted bicycles with maximun speed of 15 m/h and maximun power of 250 w .There are no hopes of legal arguments you can use.

We love this devices as we took the time to learn how to ride and we know how fun , versatile , portable and helpfull they are but we are a small group of teck savy , risk takers , early adopters and the truth is that most people have prejudice of a un-natural device that look like an accident about to happen .

The laws will not change any time soon as pedestrians do not want to share the pavement and drivers are not keen to share their space with unlicenced and uninsured veicles riders which are viewed by many as free tippers and lazy cheaters.

The truth is that there is no space for personal electric transportation in the current sistem .

Just look at the growing number of bicycle related accidents  and deaths reported in London to see there is no way pet veicles will be accepted on roads or pavements.

Our best hope would be acceptance in dedicated cycles lanes . Would be great to share this space with bicycles . Will they want to share their space with us? 

38 minutes ago, Luiz said:

Reality check.

The only electric unlicenced and unisured veicles alowed in public areas in uk are mobility scooterd with maximun speed of 5 m/h or electric assisted bicycles with maximun speed of 15 m/h and maximun power of 250 w .There are no hopes of legal arguments you can use.

We love this devices as we took the time to learn how to ride and we know how fun , versatile , portable and helpfull they are but we are a minority of teck savy , early adopters , risk takers and the truth is that most people have prejudice of a un-natural device that look like an accident about to happen for the untrained eyes .

The laws will not change any time soon as pedestrians do not want to share the pavement and drivers are not keen to share their space with unlicenced and uninsured veicles which are viewed by many as free tippers and lazy cheaters.

The truth is that there is no space for personal electric transportation in the current sistem .

Just look at the growing number of bicycle related accidents  and deaths reported in London to see there is no way pet veicles will be accepted on roads or pavements.

Our best hope would be acceptance in dedicated cycles paths . Would be great to share this space with other unlicenced and uninsured veicle like bicycles . Will they want to share their space with us? . 

I gess sharing is not our strong suit.

Even to the trained eye they look like an accident waiting to happen :)

This must be a London thing. Most pedestrians and drivers in other parts of the world don't seem to have the same opinion as apparently Londeners do.

I've been stopped a couple of times up here in Glasgow by police, but only because they were interested in knowing what it was. Passing by them on the street straight up with no problems too. Disappointing to hear it's not the same elsewhere in the UK. :(

I can’t make my mind up whether to buy an EUC because of this very issue.  I tripped on a towing hook sticking out onto the pavement and smashed my knee.  Riding my Brompton puts too much stress on my knee in higher gears.  I really want to use an EUC but worried about police intervention.  

On the other hand, people are going around on mopeds with acid and power tools stealing motorcycles, why should police be bothered about electric transportation devices.

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

This must be a London thing. Most pedestrians and drivers in other parts of the world don't seem to have the same opinion as apparently Londeners do.

The natural state of a wheel is unstable and crashed so I can see pedestrians' viewpoints.

London is the capital city of the UK, and like any capital city it has powerful people who are either chauffered or walk (a short distance), and powerful people, as study after study has shown, do not tolerate or care much for other people. They never had to learn to compromise with people unlike them. You can bet these people aren't very vulnerable to acid attacks or other muggings as the areas they frequent are exclusionary.

4 hours ago, Topkek said:

I can’t make my mind up whether to buy an EUC because of this very issue.  I tripped on a towing hook sticking out onto the pavement and smashed my knee.  Riding my Brompton puts too much stress on my knee in higher gears.  I really want to use an EUC but worried about police intervention.  

On the other hand, people are going around on mopeds with acid and power tools stealing motorcycles, why should police be bothered about electric transportation devices.

Welcome.  Sorry the subject is so dreary.  I can't advise you on whether or not to buy an EUC.  I ride in the suburbs and have never had any trouble.  I rode twice at the beach this weekend.  No problem.  The police might actually be the least of your concerns.  Consider this:

I don't commute on an EUC.  I don't like riding with traffic any longer than I have to.  There are just too many idiots out there behind the wheel of cars, trucks etc.  And, at least in my area, bike lanes are an afterthought at best. Commuting on a bike, you are a recognized part of the motoring scene.  On an EUC, it is my belief that we do not compute in the minds of the great unwashed.  We are standing upright, so therefore we are to be considered pedestrians.  As pedestrians, we are "supposed" to move at a slow, predictable speed.  When we EUCers move faster than we are "supposed" to, we end up in the wrong place at the wrong time (by their calculations) and collisions or near collisions occur.  Additionally, for the most part, we don't move as fast as the traffic, so drivers become impatient to get around us.  When they get impatient they do stupid things like passing very close, or following really close (which is no fun if you realize that a face plant could also result in being run over).   If one buys a fast wheel and rides faster to keep up with the traffic, the risk of collision (pedestrian stepping into the street between parked cars, etc) and face plant, goes up.  I personally do not like being pushed to the side of the road, where the gutter drops off and the road surface dips up and down to accommodate the drains; along with all the other irregularities on our streets.  And I don't like being coerced to ride faster than I feel comfortable.  For me, that leaves leisure riding (not in traffic), short errands, and short trips to visit people.

People around the world have different commute environments, some better some worse.  You would have to evaluate your particular commute route to determine whether or not its feasible on an EUC.  If there's room, there's always the pavement, bike paths or some combination.

But back to the police.  Currently, most police officers either don't know about EUCs or don't care.  But every day more and more of them become aware.  As more become aware the higher the chance of running across one that does give a damn. Side streets, and keeping a low profile helps, but its no guarantee of remaining unticketed. 

This could be one of the more bizarre sale but not a sale I've seen. Perhaps there's some British humor I'm missing, although I thought British humor was all about being debased and humiliated in a socially awkward scene, and learning an EUC would certainly provide it to our pasty do you even lift cousins across the Atlantic.

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/one-wheel-segway-solowheel-classic-focus-airwheel

I had a fun encounter with a police officer about six weeks ago. I had just bought a 1000lm headlight, with an option of flashing light, and drove up to a police car to ask about their legality.

He looked at me and commended me on getting a good headlight, having reflective strips on and a bike bell on my finger. He told me that while the flashing light is not illegal, it may be annoying for bikers going the other way. So he said, quote: "You can use it if you want, but I would personally keep the steady light on, use good judgement", end quote. Not a single comment about the legality of the EUC per se.

I like police officers that know what is important and not.

Most of my commute is on a cycle path next to a dual carriage way 70mph bypass so i'm not really too worried about police going past me there as its more effort for them to get to me than its worth, however the final 500m is up a pedestrian path which I make sure I go very very slowly whenever near anyone walking, or if I see a police car, i've not had any issues yet but also the pavement on that stretch is so shit i'd be thrown off any faster the 7-8mph

16 hours ago, Cannings said:

Most of my commute is on a cycle path next to a dual carriage way 70mph bypass so i'm not really too worried about police going past me there as its more effort for them to get to me than its worth, however the final 500m is up a pedestrian path which I make sure I go very very slowly whenever near anyone walking, or if I see a police car, i've not had any issues yet but also the pavement on that stretch is so shit i'd be thrown off any faster the 7-8mph

That is actually very sane, police or not.

On 1/29/2018 at 12:25 PM, Smoother said:

Welcome.  Sorry the subject is so dreary.  I can't advise you on whether or not to buy an EUC.  I ride in the suburbs and have never had any trouble.  I rode twice at the beach this weekend.  No problem.  The police might actually be the least of your concerns.  Consider this:

I don't commute on an EUC.  I don't like riding with traffic any longer than I have to.  There are just too many idiots out there behind the wheel of cars, trucks etc.  And, at least in my area, bike lanes are an afterthought at best. Commuting on a bike, you are a recognized part of the motoring scene.  On an EUC, it is my belief that we do not compute in the minds of the great unwashed.  We are standing upright, so therefore we are to be considered pedestrians.  As pedestrians, we are "supposed" to move at a slow, predictable speed.  When we EUCers move faster than we are "supposed" to, we end up in the wrong place at the wrong time (by their calculations) and collisions or near collisions occur.  Additionally, for the most part, we don't move as fast as the traffic, so drivers become impatient to get around us.  When they get impatient they do stupid things like passing very close, or following really close (which is no fun if you realize that a face plant could also result in being run over).   If one buys a fast wheel and rides faster to keep up with the traffic, the risk of collision (pedestrian stepping into the street between parked cars, etc) and face plant, goes up.  I personally do not like being pushed to the side of the road, where the gutter drops off and the road surface dips up and down to accommodate the drains; along with all the other irregularities on our streets.  And I don't like being coerced to ride faster than I feel comfortable.  For me, that leaves leisure riding (not in traffic), short errands, and short trips to visit people.

People around the world have different commute environments, some better some worse.  You would have to evaluate your particular commute route to determine whether or not its feasible on an EUC.  If there's room, there's always the pavement, bike paths or some combination.

But back to the police.  Currently, most police officers either don't know about EUCs or don't care.  But every day more and more of them become aware.  As more become aware the higher the chance of running across one that does give a damn. Side streets, and keeping a low profile helps, but its no guarantee of remaining unticketed. 

I'm surprised how little insight I had into what it's like to share the road with vehicles.  It's one of the biggest factors I underestimated.  Scary.  

On 1/29/2018 at 3:01 AM, Marty Backe said:

I’ve got to agree . I was a cyclist for years (yes the Lycra wearing $7000.00 bike riding , take up a full lane on the road kinda  cyclist ) and the public as a whole just despises us. I’ve been on an EUC for a month , riding the same roads I do on my road bike and going places I couldn’t like tails , parks , MTB paths , sidewalks ect..and people don’t seem to mind me at all. I get very friendly hello’s and gasps (good ones ) and I seem to bring a smile to just about every single person I encounter. As far as legality is concerned I live right outside of Pinehurst , North Carolina and our cops have a reputation for being pretty mean and overzealous. I’ve passed multiple police in the last month without a single incident. But maybe it’s just because they really don’t know what to make of it since I’m the only EUC owner in probably 100miles . 

9 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

I’m the only EUC owner in probably 100miles . 

In another thread, you said you wished for more local riders.  Now you mention that local police are overzealous in your area.  May I suggest that you count your blessings that there aren't half a dozen other EUC riders out there, slowly getting you all a bad reputation from the occasional mishap with a pedestrian, etc, with these overzealous police.  The best way to stay under the radar (where it's necessary) is to be as insignificant as possible.  A pack of EUCers is more conspicuous than a lone wolf, and might one day lead to a crackdown.

23 minutes ago, Smoother said:

In another thread, you said you wished for more local riders.  Now you mention that local police are overzealous in your area.  May I suggest that you count your blessings that there aren't half a dozen other EUC riders out there, slowly getting you all a bad reputation from the occasional mishap with a pedestrian, etc, with these overzealous police.  The best way to stay under the radar (where it's necessary) is to be as insignificant as possible.  A pack of EUCers is more conspicuous than a lone wolf, and might one day lead to a crackdown.

@Smoother, yeah I see your point there . ? The thing about our police force is that I think they have too much time on their hands . I live in an area where 36 in a 35 results in a speeding ticket almost 70% of the time . I’ve had about 15 in the past 4 years . Now , they always get thrown out once you go to court and it’s all just a money racket IMO ,but, you’re right a pack of us zipping around town could lead to trouble . But I’m not sure there are any laws in place as of right now . That’s not to say they couldn’t draw up a few locally though . Well damn . That sucks . Lol

28 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

@Smoother, yeah I see your point there . ? The thing about our police force is that I think they have too much time on their hands . I live in an area where 36 in a 35 results in a speeding ticket almost 70% of the time . I’ve had about 15 in the past 4 years . Now , they always get thrown out once you go to court and it’s all just a money racket IMO ,but, you’re right a pack of us zipping around town could lead to trouble . But I’m not sure there are any laws in place as of right now . That’s not to say they couldn’t draw up a few locally though . Well damn . That sucks . Lol

Local ordinances can spring up anytime. One or two buddies on EUCs might not hurt.  You could always make a point of chatting with the cops when you see them.  They are much less likely to hassle their "friends" or "friends with doughnuts. :cheers: Or an EUC bumper sticker proudly proclaiming your financial support for the police benevolent fund, wouldn't hurt.

Imagined conversation:

Cop: you, on that wheel, come here.

You: Yes officer, how can I help you?

Cop: you know you can't ride that thing... wait, what's that bumper sticker say?.  Ah Ha.  I mean I just wanted to say, be careful, there's a puddle around the next bend. Have a nice day.

1 minute ago, Smoother said:

Local ordinances can spring up anytime. One or two buddies on EUCs might not hurt.  You could always make a point of chatting with the cops when you see them.  They are much less likely to hassle their "friends".  Or an EUC bumper sticker proudly proclaiming your financial support for the police benevolent fund would't hurt.

Imagined conversation:

Cop: you, on that wheel, come here.

You: Yes officer, how can I help you?

Cop: you know you can't ride that thing... wait, what's that bumper sticker say?.  Ah Ha.  I mean I just wanted to say, be careful, there's a puddle around thenext bend. Have a nice day.

Very funny ...the puddle jokes just keep rolling in. ?? 

Id hate to vandalize my own wheel with a bumper sticker, maybe I’ll just spring for the “i support law enforcement” T-shirt . ?

funny thing is my brother in law is a cop in the next town over (which is like 5miles away) . Maybe I should get him to buy one and ride with me ?

On 25/01/2018 at 7:17 PM, Ben Pearson said:

I'm going to spend some time drafting a petition and a letter to the Major of London. Once I have something worth looking at, I'll aim to circulate it for feedback before sending.

I think the answer is to align ourselves with UK cycling fraternity, and also lean towards the sustainable 'green' transport initiatives that the UK Government are desperately trying to roll out to get cars out of the cities, for folk to use public transport, cycle, or to purchase an electric car.  EUC use ticks so many of these boxes and should be seen as legitimate alternative to car usage if we can convince law makers that they are essentially safe, can be used responsibly, and are not toys in exactly the same way that cyclists are now.

So, as well as petitioning City Mayors can we also approach organisations such as https://www.cyclinguk.org who actively campaign for UK cycling issues and ask them to consider legitimising EUC use as a form of cycling and therefore benefit from increased membership income in return. They already have affordable membership that includes public liability insurance which in itself would be a huge step towards building a bridge between EUC users and the Police who are obviously concerned about public safety.

I know there is still the legal definition of an EUC as a 'vehicle' to overcome, but we have the word 'cycle' to work with and I don't think the importance of this can be underestimated. We are not claiming that an EUC is a car, or motorbike but simply an alternative to cycling that has all the same necessary skills from the riders such as balance, spacial awareness, road sense, safety, etc, etc.

Perhaps we could form 'EUC UK' as a charity and do all this ourselves? What do you think?

7 minutes ago, UKJarvis said:

Perhaps we could form 'EUC UK' as a charity and do all this ourselves? What do you think?

Yes, we need a Non profit group and that is a great Name! I was thinking of EUCaLALA for a Los Angeles Chapter. 

Non profits can raise money and awareness by creating promotional events and certain NPs can lobby for political change as well.

I am thinking of a National publicity event for the USA this late Spring early Summer. We should keep all NP EUC groups connected across the World to help pass the word around to the press in their areas for any big events in our regions. If we get it going, we may be able to get our own category on the forum. :D

23 hours ago, Scott Henley said:

Very funny ...the puddle jokes just keep rolling in. ?? 

There's no point fighting it, Just give in already and change your username to PuddleJumper!

8 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

There's no point fighting it, Just give in already and change your username to PuddleJumper!

Yeah yeah. I guess I might as well.

Puddlejunkie, PuddleJumper, TheWheelDrowner...possibilities are endless . ???‍♂️

Archived