Adapting a Trolley Handle for use on the Mten3

Marty Backe

@eddiemoy, here's how a trolley handle could be mounted on the KS18S without drilling holes in the shell. I know you've already done yours, but you were interested in this technique that I mentioned previously.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

trolley handle could be mounted on the KS18S without drilling holes in the shell. I know you've already done yours, but you were interested in this technique that I mentioned previously.

If it would be that easy to use only one long screw on the KS18 , i guess i would have allready done this, after nearly 1,5 years of KS18 usage and trying about 3 diffferent methods of trolley assembling :-)

Even as the "allit" trolley we have used  is allready about 10-15cm longer than any other trolley i have seen for euc use, it is not long enough to reach down to the pedals. Thats means that you have to construct an adapter, which not only only goes away 15 cm from the pedal arm horizontally, you also need it to go up 10-15cm verticaly, to reach to the end of the trolley arm. I doubt that would be more stable than our mod.

I can carry my 18S on my trolley, holding it on the trolley grip, or even carry it grabing one ore both of the trolley arms. And thats 25kg, and not only 10kg like the Mten3.  I guess i have to produce a video also ;-)

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

@eddiemoy, here's how a trolley handle could be mounted on the KS18S without drilling holes in the shell. I know you've already done yours, but you were interested in this technique that I mentioned previously.

you have the KS18S now, you should know it won't work for it.  This handle is a little short, but I guess it is better than nothing.

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

you have the KS18S now, you should know it won't work for it.  This handle is a little short, but I guess it is better than nothing.

I'm looking at the KS18S and I'm totally mystified why you say that "you should know it won't work for it". The pedal brackets are totally exposed. I would probably use 5/16" threaded rod instead, but it would absolutely work.

5 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

If it would be that easy to use only one long screw on the KS18 , i guess i would have allready done this, after nearly 1,5 years of KS18 usage and trying about 3 diffferent methods of trolley assembling :-)

Even as the "allit" trolley we have used  is allready about 10-15cm longer than any other trolley i have seen for euc use, it is not long enough to reach down to the pedals. Thats means that you have to construct an adapter, which not only only goes away 15 cm from the pedal arm horizontally, you also need it to go up 10-15cm verticaly, to reach to the end of the trolley arm. I doubt that would be more stable than our mod.

I can carry my 18S on my trolley, holding it on the trolley grip, or even carry it grabing one ore both of the trolley arms. And thats 25kg, and not only 10kg like the Mten3.  I guess i have to produce a video also ;-)

Of course an adapter would be required. My Mten3 required that I fabricate some adapters too. Beyond that I really can't see why a trolley can't be attached to the pedal supports. Your approach obviously works. I just prefer not drilling holes in the case if I can avoid doing so.

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

. Beyond that I really can't see why a trolley can't be attached to the pedal supports.

Its not a "can not"...but it just makes no sense on the 18S....only if you have a trolley that would reach from the top down to the pedals. Which i didnt found in the time owning a Ks18...

Otherwise with a shorter trolley you would have to deal with an adapter/construction that need to be about 20-30cm long to reach from the trolley end to the pedal arm and goes in certain curves/corners. But i understand you dont want to drill holes in the case.....In a GW shell i also wouldn't do so ;-)

Fun beside, i get your point...but as my trolley will never ever leave the 18S i can live with the 2 drilled holes....

Hmmm...after seeing that video: How is it now when you hop/jump down a boardwalk or a stairway/step on a slower speed?

It looks like it is protruding that muchfrom the shell, that the trolley will be in the way/get stuck?

2 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Hmmm...after seeing that video: How is it now when you hop/jump down a boardwalk or a stairway/step on a slower speed?

It looks like it is protruding that muchfrom the shell, that the trolley will be in the way/get stuck?

As a rule, I don't jump/hop any of my wheels because I prefer to avoid the extra wear-and-tear on the hardware/electronics. So I can't answer your question :mellow:

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

As a rule, I don't jump/hop any of my wheels because I prefer to avoid the extra wear-and-tear on the hardware/electronics. So I can't answer your question :mellow:

+1 on that.  Jumping up and down curbs and steps may look cool and save you a little time right now. But it is hard on the machine, and one day something might fail because of those shocks, and the little time you saved then, will now be eclipsed by the huge amount of time and effort it takes to diagnose and fix your wheel; to say nothing of the potential risk of injury, collateral damage, other damage to the wheel when the failure occurs, walking your wheel possibly miles back to safety, and the cost. Look carefully and there's almost always a ramp of sorts nearby to transition from one level to another.  Failing that; if your mounting and dismounting technique is up to par, its little trouble to walk the wheel to a different level.

On 12/19/2017 at 10:32 AM, Marty Backe said:

The handle looks to me a little short for the Mten. It seems you have to bent over/down your body to actually push the wheel.

2 hours ago, Mono said:

The handle looks to me a little short for the Mten. It seems you have to bent over/down your body to actually push the wheel.

He could make it longer, but then it would stick up even more above the shell.  In the video, he explains how he set the second pair of extensions at a certain height, then painted them black.  What you see him extend, is the first pair of extensions.  Maybe 3 more inches wouldn't hurt.

2 hours ago, Mono said:

I wouldn't want to walk it for miles, but it's very serviceable for my needs within stores, etc. The height was a compromise between functionality and flimsiness. I think I discuss the reasoning in the 'build video' posted above.

4 hours ago, dmethvin said:

Bending down a little bit is nothing compared to picking up a heavy wheel and carrying it. 

A heavy wheel? Are we talking about the same wheel?

59 minutes ago, Mono said:

A heavy wheel? Are we talking about the same wheel?

I'd still rather trolley any wheel then carry it.

5 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Don't you have a "big guy" in your entourage just for carrying your wheels? 

15 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

39188938392_792f0a63d7_b.jpg

15 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Me too, certainly above 5kg. I was just wondering whether we were talking about the same wheel and what would qualify as a light wheel, if the Mten was considered to be a heavy wheel.

1 hour ago, Mono said:

Me too, certainly above 5kg. I was just wondering whether we were talking about the same wheel and what would qualify as a light wheel, if the Mten was considered to be a heavy wheel.

If Gotway ever makes a wheel bigger than the Monster they could call it the Hernia.

13 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

If Gotway ever makes a wheel bigger than the Monster they could call it the Hernia.

Or Monstrous Hernia.

I don't jump down curbs and whatnot on any of wheels except for my Segway S1. I figure it's a very valuable skill to have and at $300 it isn't too bad of a hit. 

It's pretty easy to dump the wheel on curbs if you're leaning backwards which, instinctively, feels right to me, but actually leaning a bit forward and "attacking" the curb makes curbs non-issues.

I like going down steps on my S1. It's surprisingly smooth once you do it several times and try to do it very quiet like.

Archived