Interesting cutout fall on Gotway Msuper v3s+

Alsayyad

For the very few who know me, I was wearing protective gear and did not get hurt during this. Nevertheless, I thought it would be useful to others if they saw how this happened.

During a pleasant ride on the closed portion of the 39 out in Falling Springs northeast of Pasadena, I experienced a cutout after hitting a little pit and bump in the road. I was wearing a gopro on my helmet that caught the incident. You will notice that I immediately tried to recover, and slow down to reduce potential injury. While slowing down, it cut out which led to me falling on my butt. The wheel powered back on after it dumped me but fortunately did not go off the edge of the mountain.

My location was at the following link (a great place to ride, but doing so at your own risk considering this portion of the road is closed to "pedestrians, or any motor driven cycle"): https://goo.gl/maps/vGgr66msUJR2

location.JPG.9a80936adb41ca64757d4b9babfc08ac.JPG

Fantastic location to ride!:wub::efeeec645d: Got any more video of that ride/area?;)

This tiny bump (didn't see much of a pothole or anything in the video) should not have led to a cut-out. You weren't even going that fast or anything taxing. Downhill is basically free. How much was the battery approximately?

This looks suspiciously like the oscillation issue. When and where did you buy your wheel? Can you post a photo of the sticker on the box (the serial number, which is under the bar code, starts with the production date, which is the interesting part)?

Maybe your wheel is affected, this would mean any bump could lead to a repeat - be careful! Then you'd need to re-flash your board or get a reflashed one to be safe.

I was suspecting the oscillation issue. I got it from the "green fashion traveling shop" on aliexpress, and it had a manufacture date of 6/5/2017. I had purchased a reflashed main board from Jason at ewheels, but it had poor performance characteristics in comparison (not sure if the board or the firmware), I will post the differences in the main boards (different placement of electronic components). I was running on the "medium" setting (in between leisure and sport). I appreciate your comment and will post more of the ride up there.

Your production date is right in the bad period (20th April to end of May or so, conservative estimate), so it's going to be the oscillation thing. Symptoms are consistent too:mellow: Well, at least you know what the problem is and how to fix it.

Interesting to hear about different performances from different boards. Maybe you accidentally got a 67V board (you seem to have an 84V wheel)? That difference really should not happen and makes not much sense (at least to me). Looking forward to see different boards pics. But I'd guess if you got a new 84V board from ewheels now, you won't have performance problems with it.

16 minutes ago, Alsayyad said:

ewheels, but it had poor performance characteristics in comparison (not sure if the board or the firmware), I will post the differences in the main boards (different placement of electronic components). I was running on th

Interesting...boards should have been the same...perhaps you received a wrong board, unfortunately?

Edit: Meepmeep was faster :-)

I realize the changes are mainly geometric optimizations of component placement, but you will probably notice the additional two pin connector in the bottom right hand corner. Also, there are more labels on the screen print on the board. Components are different as well. And to refresh you, the performance was “tighter” and more responsive on the newer Chinese market one.

DSC02517.jpgDSC02508.jpg

On 9/8/2017 at 0:01 PM, Alsayyad said:

For the very few who know me, I was wearing protective gear and did not get hurt during this. Nevertheless, I thought it would be useful to others if they saw how this happened.

During a pleasant ride on the closed portion of the 39 out in Falling Springs northeast of Pasadena, I experienced a cutout after hitting a little pit and bump in the road. I was wearing a gopro on my helmet that caught the incident. You will notice that I immediately tried to recover, and slow down to reduce potential injury. While slowing down, it cut out which led to me falling on my butt. The wheel powered back on after it dumped me but fortunately did not go off the edge of the mountain.

My location was at the following link (a great place to ride, but doing so at your own risk considering this portion of the road is closed to "pedestrians, or any motor driven cycle"): https://goo.gl/maps/vGgr66msUJR2

location.JPG.9a80936adb41ca64757d4b9babfc08ac.JPG

Yasin! Glad you're OK. That was dramatic. Did you see that Russian video where the MSuper cut out from him half a dozen times on the same video. It looked identical to your video. I can't find the video, but it's strikingly familiar. 

That has the classic symptoms of the bad firmware.

When I received a new ACM board (for unrelated reasons), it also had the different connector configuration in the lower right. Gotway seems to always be tweaking their control boards. I can believe that your control boards behaved differently. My reflashed MSuper board (from Jason) was firmer than the old board. Another thing that Gotway tweaks.

Omigosh that wheel nearly went off the cliff :o.  @Alsayyad did I misread that or did you buy a replacement board from Jason, but because it felt inferior to the original board you decided to keep riding on it resulting in this fall similar to Marty's?  Or was the fall after you replaced the original board?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2017 at 3:01 PM, Alsayyad said:

Pleased to hear you are OK and assuming you went back to the old board you already have a good board ready to fit (even if you don't like it).

I don't know if there is increased risk riding here due to no cell signal but if that is the case those who consider riding "the road less travelled" may wish to consider a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon).

http://a.co/eM2o5es

It communicates your distress call via a satellite network. I brought one when I was sailing but it can be used equally as well on land (I carry it when walking in the mountains) when in far off places. Only to be used in serious life threatening emergency though...like broken bones on a remote road/trail somewhere!

No operating costs but the batteries need to be replaced by the manufacturer every 5 years.

Archived