Jump to content

Riding on roads


Recommended Posts

How many people ride on the road with cars and trucks? I just watched a video Richard Layman put up, riding a ks-18s. Made me nervous just watching it. I don't care if I get good enough to do handstands on a wheel, i'm not getting in the same lane as a vehicle, even in a 25 mph subdivision. I logged about 40,000 street miles riding my bikes(harleys, ktm) those can speed up and slow down to stay away from cagers, a wheel is a sitting duck. God bless y'all, I don't trust cagers at all, especially with them texting all the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ir_fuel i wouldn't ride a bicycle on a road in FL. The speed differential is to great. Maybe europe drivers are more accustomed to seeing bicyclists but the way our brains are wired, some unusal vehicle without mass on the road becomes invisible.i'd be scared, that's all i'm saying.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've ridden my bicycle to and from work in downtown St. Pete for 2 years now. Always on the road if a dedicated bike lane is not available. Most of the time it is OK but it does have its moments where drivers show no respect. To be clear a lot of cyclists around here think they own the road and do not obey the rules. I understand the frustration some drivers face but nothing justifies deliberately endangering someone's life. Now I've switched to commuting on my V8 for the summer I'm in the road on that. No sidewalks for the first 2 miles of my ride. After that it is bike lanes. I make myself highly visible and wear an inordinate amount of protection. I also have my very thorough UK motorcycle training to lean on for defensive riding. That said when I moved here from England 10 years ago I brought all my motorcycle gear with me with intent to pick up another motorbike but despite having ridden 100 miles a day into and out of London for 3 years I determined riding a motorbike in FL was just too damn dangerous. Reluctantly i sold all my gear and never looked at motorbikes again.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I've ridden my bicycle to and from work in downtown St. Pete for 2 years now. Always on the road if a dedicated bike lane is not available. Most of the time it is OK but it does have its moments where drivers show no respect. To be clear a lot of cyclists around here think they own the road and do not obey the rules. I understand the frustration some drivers face but nothing justifies deliberately endangering someone's life. Now I've switched to commuting on my V8 for the summer I'm in the road on that. No sidewalks for the first 2 miles of my ride. After that it is bike lanes. I make myself highly visible and wear an inordinate amount of protection. I also have my very thorough UK motorcycle training to lean on for defensive riding. That said when I moved here from England 10 years ago I brought all my motorcycle gear with me with intent to pick up another motorbike but despite having ridden 100 miles a day into and out of London for 3 years I determined riding a motorbike in FL was just too damn dangerous. Reluctantly i sold all my gear and never looked at motorbikes again.

I've actually thought of seeing if I can ride my KS18AY with my road racing style motorcycle boots for added protection.  I don't know if there would be enough room on the foot pedals/foot rests though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

it's the texting. i walked away no injuries, the last two people that hit me. but honestly, if i had been on my mototcycle, i think i could possibly have evaded them. but that's a helluva gamble cause if i'm wrong, with the force of those impacts, i'd been doa, helmet, protective clothing and all. my cop buddies call helmets, "brain buckets" as in after an accident.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

for example not too long ago the cops call me at 6 am and tell me i've got a dead cow in the road. i go down there grabbed the cow whose guts are splattered all over the road, by one ear, pick her head up and see a tag, and drop her head, said, not mine, i don't tag mine. helicopters overhead, ten cop cars, morning traffic blocked both ways. that cow didn't dart out on the road, she probably was just trying to do the chicken thing, and this woman that hit her didn't see her. humans are a lot less visible than cows. people aren't paying attention.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Drivers here are crazy too even though they have distracted driving laws.  I was driving home to tonight at 100 kph, and a sportbike roared by at what must have been 240 kph.  :blink:  I had to check my speedo as it felt like my car was standing still it went by so fast.  Even yesterday morning a car passed me really closely as it went by at 150 kph.  They don't have enough police patroling the roads here.

I only ride on sidewalks, pathways and slow neighbourhood roads.   I need to get a dashcam.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i remember one time a guy on a ten speed was on the far right of the lane just getting it, i'm trailing slowly behind him waiting to pass, his front tire goes off a fairly high shoulder, two inches, he loses it and falls right in front of me. lucky for him i was laser focus on him and probably mad he was slowing me down. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/17/2017 at 1:47 AM, novazeus said:

How many people ride on the road with cars and trucks?

I ride mostly on sidewalks. When I encounter pedestrians on the sidewalk, I go into the street if it is safe to do so. Most of my riding is on relatively quiet neighborhood streets where cars are only occasional and there is plenty of room for cars and EUCs to avoid each other. Very few roads around here have bike lanes, but I use them when available. Most commonly when I share the road with cars and trucks, the road has a "shoulder" -- an area beside the marked edge of the outside lane that provides space for emergency vehicles or emergency stops. I ride on the shoulder if there is one. The scariest is riding on roads with no shoulder. The last time I did this was on a road with 4 lanes both directions, very heavy and fast traffic, and no shoulder. I had to ride about 5 miles on this, outbound and return, and it was so stressful I decided never to ride there again!

Edited by MaxLinux
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are excellent reasons the automobile is the predominant form of transportation in the USA; their speed, safety (for the driver), comfort, and ease of use tower over all other forms of transportation.

It also means that when you ride a bicycle/EUC then you're intruding on their territory. While some drivers are polite enough to let you ride on their road, a small minority do not, and therefore will not take due care of your well-being. Indeed, some may go out of their way to kill or injure you, and in that way teach you a lesson that you will not soon forget. Some jurisdictions make it illegal to maim or kill you but then have little to no punishment should the driver do so.

I would recommend riding only on roads that have sidewalks to you can dodge cars if you have a suspicion they might hit you, and certainly avoid roads that have a speed limit greater than 35 mph as you cannot hope to survive a car hitting you at higher speeds.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LanghamP said:

There are excellent reasons the automobile is the predominant form of transportation in the USA; their speed, safety (for the driver), comfort, and ease of use tower over all other forms of transportation.

Very true, but if the petrol/diesel car had been invented this year governments would be falling over themselves to ban it. noisy, horrendously polluting, lethally dangerous, frightens the horses, what government in its right mind could possibly want to allow them ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Keith said:

Very true, but if the petrol/diesel car had been invented this year governments would be falling over themselves to ban it. noisy, horrendously polluting, lethally dangerous, frightens the horses, what government in its right mind could possibly want to allow them ?

Until recently cities were places where people went to die; that is, cities would have a higher death rate than a birth rate. Cities are lethal before sewage and running water.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Stink

Horses manure was said to be piled up waist high on the sides of roads. Cars were a godsend and one major reason they quickly replaced horses in cities was due to their cleanliness. We don't consider cars to be particularly clean but compared to what came before they are.

Period piece movies from say the 1890's always miss that essential part; we wore boots in those days because of all the shit on the streets.

Edited by LanghamP
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Horses manure was said to be piled up waist high on the sides of roads.

 

15 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Period piece movies from say the 1890's always miss that essential part; we wore boots in those days because of all the shit on the streets.

Also true, but boy were the roses good - not to mention the rhubarb ???. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

you know it's everything y'all say, but like with motorcycles, unless ur a rider urself, our brains are so trained to look for cars and trucks, we become blind to motorcycles, bicycles, pedestrians and definitely electric unicycles, nobody has hardly ever seen one of those. i'm not planning on riding on s road, evah, but if i had to, like life or death, i think i'd ride in the lane of oncoming traffic like pedestrians are suppose to but hardly ever do. 20 mph on a wheel or 5 mph walking, i doubt will make a difference getting hit by a car doing sixty. at least facing the traffic, if i see someone coming at me, maybe i can bail. and maybe the cars see u better because u do sorts resemble a pedestrian with a very smooth and rapid gait.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/08/2017 at 6:40 PM, ir_fuel said:

Not much different from riding a bicycle.

I agree.

I only ride on roads when I have to, and even if there is a bike lane painted, it's still not a pleasant feeling when there is no barrier between me and cars.

I love separate bike lanes, and sidewalks are also good for me ;) Of course I always pay attention to the people and other vehicles around me, and try to predict their moves and not to scare people :D 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...