Jump to content

Do your wheels get equal loving?


LanghamP
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've noticed I pick which wheel by distance and task these days, and nowdays after riding each wheel pretty extensively it's pretty clear which wheel I should ride.

--Inmotion V5F or KS14c. I use both these wheels the most, possibly the Inmotion a bit more when I need to use the handle disarm. These both have about 700-800 miles on them, each.

--KS16s. The commuter and cruising. A great all rounder; however it does not quite fit in a shopping court. It isn't as handy as my 14 inchers but it's close. It's a much much safer wheel than either of my 14 inchers. Under 100 miles but I just got it.

--Gotway MSuper. Rarely. For the occasional longer distance but stashing it somewhere once there is difficult because it's fifty pounds. Interestingly while the hours on it is small the distance on it is high because I average around 19 mph compared to about 10 mph on all my others. 250 miles; I got it nearly the same time as my V5F.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Well, until maybe that sexy GT16 or KS16S is ordered then I might have to think hard about a threesome. :whistling: 

Go for the KS16S! KingSong is a tried and true company that will be around for a long time. It is also a sexy machine just like my wife.;) If you need service or parts you can always count on @Jason McNeil.

The GT16 is an awesome machine but what are the sales #s? Are the numbers large enough to sustain the company into the future? I always worry about a company that has all of their eggs in one basket without the diversification of offering other models. Just my 2 cents.:)

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Inmotion V5F or KS14c. I use both these wheels the most, possibly the Inmotion a bit more when I need to use the handle disarm. These both have about 700-800 miles on them, each.

I'm a Inmotion V5F+ lover as well. I love the agility and maneuverability it offers due to the high pedals. It might be me but I cannot make sharp tight turns on other wheels without scraping the pedals.  It is also light enough to toss around easily.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My wheels get equal time because I only have one (16 inch ACM):P

--

Sorry, offtopic:

7 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

The GT16 is an awesome machine but what are the sales #s? Are the numbers large enough to sustain the company into the future? I always worry about a company that has all of their eggs in one basket without the diversification of offering other models. Just my 2 cents.:)

They just didn't have the money to develop more than one model. Remember, Rockwheel was basically resurrected, with no recent prior wheels to continue from. I wonder how they got enough money for that in the first place.

But don't underestimate the Rockwheel guy, he's an active fellow, he seems to have done quite some research, he's running the "Rockwheel Store" on Ali as well, and he actually posts here and RW seem to have had great support (understandable) when @Scatcat's GT16 had motor damage. They're working on a 18 incher as far as I know.

So it depends on whether what they offer is good, and you could argue it would be good to support "new" manufacturers. But of course you should always buy the wheel you want for the wheel itself. Just saying, small company isn't actually a big concern imho.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

They just didn't have the money to develop more than one model. Remember, Rockwheel was basically resurrected, with no recent prior wheels to continue from. I wonder how they got enough money for that in the first place.

Resurrection is a concern. Hopefully Rockwheel keeps growing by leaps and bounds as the industry definitely needs high caliber competition so future r&d and innovative designs continue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did notice that Green and Fashion Travaling Shop's AliExpress ratings at 88% are less than Rockwheel Store at 98%, but it could be due to higher sales volumes?  @KingSong69 are they still a good dealer to order from?

Rehab makes an excellent point about future proofing and parts availability, but someone who recently bought a KS18A was left high and dry with a burnt out control board and no replacement part available so it's not always guaranteed.  I wonder if it's wise at the time of purchase to buy a spare control board "just in case" as a little added insurance.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I've noticed I pick which wheel by distance and task these days, and nowdays after riding each wheel pretty extensively it's pretty clear which wheel I should ride.

--Inmotion V5F or KS14c. I use both these wheels the most, possibly the Inmotion a bit more when I need to use the handle disarm. These both have about 700-800 miles on them, each.

--KS16s. The commuter and cruising. A great all rounder; however it does not quite fit in a shopping court. It isn't as handy as my 14 inchers but it's close. It's a much much safer wheel than either of my 14 inchers. Under 100 miles but I just got it.

--Gotway MSuper. Rarely. For the occasional longer distance but stashing it somewhere once there is difficult because it's fifty pounds. Interestingly while the hours on it is small the distance on it is high because I average around 19 mph compared to about 10 mph on all my others. 250 miles; I got it nearly the same time as my V5F.

What would you say makes the KS16s a much much safer wheel than either 14"? Just more stability from the size? Or is it more leeway before a cutoff on hills? Just curious as it makes it sound like there is a huge difference and many people love their V5F and say it's not that much different stability wise than a 16" wheel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Scatcat said:

My own recent experience dealing with Yi Chen made me realise that laws are only half the trick about customer care. I don't think I ever met a guy over here in Sweden that has treated me as good as Yi Chen did... He helped me immensely even though he really didn't have to, and I owe him a great deal of gratitude.

I got a new motor, a new trolley, a new board and new hall-sensors for my old motor, all for the cost of the motor and sending back my old board. And this even though I couldn't prove the wheel was bought in his shop. He also made sure the new stuff had the right connectors to my batteries, since those had changed with the new generation of GT16, actually manually soldering the new stuff for me before sending it. We also discussed how to waterproof the EUC and other stuff, where he showed me some simple things you can do. And when I dismantled my old motor, he was the one who showed me how to get the stator out without damaging the magnets.

There are other sellers on AliExpress that underbids him in the price of purchase, but I doubt anyone gets within shouting distance of his customer service.

 

6 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Basically Rockwheel Store gives the same type of warranties a European shop would, with a year on the motor, board and electronics and six months on the battery. It's more informal, since the warranties are not required by law, but in effect it is the same deal. The down-side is that you may be required to send the faulty parts to China, which may or may not carry a hefty price-tag. If it's something that can be demonstrated by a video and where the mfg doesn't require a return, you may escape the sending requirement, but you better factor it in if you need support. Buy locally and you can walk into the shop with your problem, but other than that buying from Yi Chen is as good

 

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love

Did you read that part? I couldn't say it much better than @Scatcat!!! This brings it to the point...

I bought 3 wheels from Yi Chen at Rockwheel Store, the support i got was outstanding, and i can only speak in highest tones about him and can recommend him to 100%!

 

....for the Green and traveling i can only speak from "hearsay", but there some friends which order some Gotway where also very happy...but some people like Rehab suffer good communication and service!

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I did notice that Green and Fashion Travaling Shop's AliExpress ratings at 88% are less than Rockwheel Store at 98%, but it could be due to higher sales volumes?  @KingSong69 are they still a good dealer to order from?

Has anyone had  success obtaining spare parts or service from the GFTS? ( sorry...too lazy to type out their long name). It's  been 4 months and 3 emails contacting them to delivered on a promise for a trolley handle for my ACM 1600.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Has anyone had  success obtaining spare parts or service from the GFTS? ( sorry...too lazy to type out their long name). It's  been 4 months and 3 emails contacting them to delivered on a promise for a trolley handle for my ACM 1600.  

I found it very "disturbing" that they not even contact you...did you try to contact them over the aliexpress website? Have you tried another e-mail? some other contact form?

I mean, that they do not react at all....does not fit to 88%.

Dont get me wrong...its just, have you sorted out an error like "wrong e-mail" or so??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, electricpen said:

What would you say makes the KS16s a much much safer wheel than either 14"? Just more stability from the size? Or is it more leeway before a cutoff on hills? Just curious as it makes it sound like there is a huge difference and many people love their V5F and say it's not that much different stability wise than a 16" wheel.

Stability-wise my V5F is pretty bad. Easily the worst of my 14, 16, 18 wheels. I won't carve on my V5F because as I lean it over, there's a point whereby it leans even more, abruptly, and sharpens the turn beyond all reason, and then I fall. And keeping it going in a straight line is harder the faster I go. My other wheels are easier to keep straight the faster I go.

It's a very difficult wheel to ride. However it is my first wheel, and I still ride it the most. I think it makes me a better rider.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My V8 is my favorite wheel.  I like the IPS Zero, but keep it in my office for quick runs around campus.  the Inmotion V8 hits the sweet spot for power vs. portability.   I have the Gotway ACM coming, but I don't anticipate that being my commuter; it's too heavy.  But for longer rides, I'll probably use it a lot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I did notice that Green and Fashion Travaling Shop's AliExpress ratings at 88% are less than Rockwheel Store at 98%, but it could be due to higher sales volumes?  @KingSong69 are they still a good dealer to order from?

Rehab makes an excellent point about future proofing and parts availability, but someone who recently bought a KS18A was left high and dry with a burnt out control board and no replacement part available so it's not always guaranteed.  I wonder if it's wise at the time of purchase to buy a spare control board "just in case" as a little added insurance.

That sort of thing crossed my mind too.  It sometimes works out that way with other products.  And what a shame it would be to have an expensive EUC turn into a brick for lack of a spare part.

As an exaggerated example, I remember when I needed a hose replaced on my old Lexus.  Nothing special about that short length of hose -- but they quoted me $1200.  Once replacement parts disappear from stock-at-hand, anything goes, including price gouging ... if you can even get the item at all.

Edited by Dingfelder
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really love the portability and maneuverability of a 14-inch wheel like the KS14C. They can be a little bit twitchier than a big wheel but not to the point where you lose control (or at least I haven't been in many of those situations). Maybe the big wheels are great for riding trails and the like, but the smaller wheels are much nicer for weaving between people in cities or carrying them onto trains.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2017 at 5:52 PM, LanghamP said:

I've noticed I pick which wheel by distance and task these days, and nowdays after riding each wheel pretty extensively it's pretty clear which wheel I should ride.

--Inmotion V5F or KS14c. I use both these wheels the most, possibly the Inmotion a bit more when I need to use the handle disarm. These both have about 700-800 miles on them, each.

--KS16s. The commuter and cruising. A great all rounder; however it does not quite fit in a shopping court. It isn't as handy as my 14 inchers but it's close. It's a much much safer wheel than either of my 14 inchers. Under 100 miles but I just got it.

--Gotway MSuper. Rarely. For the occasional longer distance but stashing it somewhere once there is difficult because it's fifty pounds. Interestingly while the hours on it is small the distance on it is high because I average around 19 mph compared to about 10 mph on all my others. 250 miles; I got it nearly the same time as my V5F.

I got my kingsong ks18s three weeks ago. 

My Segway S1 has not been charged nor turned on since the moment the kingsong box was opened.. ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, GoinPostal said:

I got my kingsong ks18s three weeks ago. 

My Segway S1 has not been charged nor turned on since the moment the kingsong box was opened.. ?

Make sure you charge it to about 40% before you leave it unused for a while. If it is over that amount take it out to burn it down a bit. Batteries stored at full charge age very quickly. Batteries stored flat can undervolt and shut down for good. Storing at 30-40% and topping up every month or two will ensure aging is not too bad. Also keep it somewhere cool.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GoinPostal said:

I got my kingsong ks18s three weeks ago. 

My Segway S1 has not been charged nor turned on since the moment the kingsong box was opened.. ?

I suspect Segway/Ninebots are so lower-speced that people don't ride them anymore once they get better wheels.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Make sure you charge it to about 40% before you leave it unused for a while. If it is over that amount take it out to burn it down a bit. Batteries stored at full charge age very quickly. Batteries stored flat can undervolt and shut down for good. Storing at 30-40% and topping up every month or two will ensure aging is not too bad. Also keep it somewhere cool.

I think one of my newer kindles died from just that.  Haven't charged it in ... month and a half?  Two months?  But I rarely use it, so maybe just ignoring it over time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

I think one of my newer kindles died from just that.  Haven't charged it in ... month and a half?  Two months?  But I rarely use it, so maybe just ignoring it over time.

It is possible it sat in sleep mode until the battery was flat and then self discharged into an unstable low voltage causing the BMS to kill the battery for good. But dying from sitting flat for just a month seems quite extreme.

If I'm not going to use a battery for a while I get it to arounf 30% to 50% charge then bag it with some silica and put it in the fridge.  I then top off every 6 months. Self discharge in cold conditions is also very low I believe. Apparently this will ensure minimal aging on the battery through lack of use. Not practical with an EUC but 30% charge in a basement with a monthly top off back to 30% would be ideal. 100% battery next to the hot water tank will age it heavily.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...