Is InMotion V8 good for teens? Any thoughts?

TerminalVelocity

Hello everyone! I have a 14-year old son who's bugging me to buy him an electric unicycle since last year. It will be his birthday on September 8th and I was planning to surprise him with his dream unicycle. I've been searching everyday and I've found that there are so many unicycles. I'm not really a techie mom so I want to ask you guys for any recommendation. Actually, I saw the Inmotion V8 and I read a comprehensive review from transporationevolved.com. I really loved the look of the Inmotion V8 but I'm still quite hesitant. Thankfully, I've found this forum and maybe you can help me decide which unicycle to buy for my son. Any thoughts? If you owned an Inmotion V8, how was its performance on the road? 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TerminalVelocity said:

Hello everyone! I have a 14-year old son who's bugging me to buy him an electric unicycle since last year. It will be his birthday on September 8th and I was planning to surprise him with his dream unicycle. I've been searching everyday and I've found that there are so many unicycles. I'm not really a techie mom so I want to ask you guys for any recommendation. Actually, I saw the Inmotion V8 and I read a comprehensive review from transporationevolved.com. I really loved the look of the Inmotion V8 but I'm still quite hesitant. Thankfully, I've found this forum and maybe you can help me decide which unicycle to buy for my son. Any thoughts? If you owned an Inmotion V8, how was its performance on the road? 

Should be one of the good unicycles - there are many satisfied riders around here. But also 

can happen, as it seems.

So beside the brand of the unicycle a good and reliable dealer is very important!

ps.: And it drives 30 km/h - so it can lead to dangerous situations. Protective wear (helmet, wrist, knee and elbowguards) are very recommandable. But that's almost the same as with a bycicle?

• Upvote 2

You can't go wrong with a V8. Yes, there are others that have bigger batteries and are faster (the V8 is fast enough!), but also more expensive and bulkier (and the Inmotions are the most tested and safest ones currently). Especially for a teen, the sleek V8 with its LED lighting (can be disabled, if you want to) should be great. Perfect choice!

The Inmotion V5F+ (make sure it's the V5F+, not V5F, that one has a smaller battery, too small in my opinion) is essentially the same as the V8, but a bit smaller (tire wise) and cheaper. Also a great choice.

One of these two is the perfect choice for your situation (the V8 has the nice lights though, the V5F+ not).

Buy from a reputable dealer like ewheels.com (I believe he's the exclusive Inmotion dealer for the US anyways) for possible service and support and you're doing exactly the right thing.

(If you're worried about possible tire scraping, that has been fixed by using a different tire.)

And yes, hard wrist guards (not just gloves) and a helmet (bike, skateboard, whatever) is the minimum protection that should always be used (more is secondary).

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 2

As already mentioned I would also consider the V5+ or V5F+. The V5+ has the large battery for range but I'd slower at 12mph max speed. The F variant gets you to 15mph. The V8  goes over 18mph. It depends how much power you want to put in your sons hands. Any crash over about 10mph can result in some serious injury so make your choice wisely. Buy all the protective gear but ask yourself if he will wear it when you aren't watching. Slower might be better.

What's your sons weight?  The V8 is recommended for heavier riders.

• Upvote 2

He's right, just a side note: just because something can go fast does not mean that you must to go fast with it. You could also see the higher speed (=higher motor power) as a bigger safety margin at "normal" speeds (for emergency braking, for example).

So with electric unicycles, there is no such thing as a too fast wheel (it simply means you have bigger safety margin), unless your son has no self control and dangerous speeding is to be expected.

You can also set a speed limit via the app (not sure if it is password protected though).

• Upvote 2

The main disadvantage of the V8 I could think of (in particular for a beginner or teenager) is that the shell cover is much easier to break than on other models I have seen. It's not a wheel one can crash relentlessly in the woods. Contrary what is written in the review, it doesn't have Bluetooth Hi-Fi Speakers, to all I know. 

Edited by Mono
  • Upvote 1

This is the order of importance TO ME:

1) Battery which defines the range of the wheel V8 is 20-30 miles (to me speed is not as important)

* under 360 watts is nice for  travel on airplane on vacation...

2) Weight of the wheel (V8 is 30lb)

3) Front headlight and trolley handle ( I personally will not buy one without the trolley handle)

4) Wheel size is not as important but larger less bumpy and easier to learn, etc.  smaller fits trunk better

I've been riding my V8 since April.  My 5, 11 and 12 all use it.  For me, I wish I had more range.

• Upvote 2

On ‎04‎.‎07‎.‎2017 at 3:41 AM, TerminalVelocity said:

Just a hint: The V8 runs up to 30kmh....and if you are pushing it over the so called "tiltback" (a Kind of auto-brake) you can even go up to 4-5kmh faster...

I guess 30kmh are 19mph or a bit more - Do you want your 14year old to go that fast on a one wheel?

From my Point of view: Good Electric unicycles are no "toys"....at least not the ones going faster than 8mph/12kmh.

Perhaps it is also interesting for you to know, that if there is just a little failure on the electronic Motherboard or the batteries or the tire they can lead to bad injuries. There is no safety redundance inside them whatsoever.

I mean, it is better to buy a Inmotion V8, which is a high Quality unicycle and one of the best on the market, and it is better  than buying a chinese generic no Name.

But all i said before can unfortunatly also happen to the V8....an example:

Edited by KingSong69

Guys, stop telling any possible horror story that comes to your mind:)

Just let the lady buy a V8 or V5F+, they're the right choice here, and the safest and most tested electric unicycles on the market.

Electric unicycles are by concept instable and if you're an idiot, you can manage to do something stupid. But you make it sound like the boy should rather stay at home playing video games. With a helmet and wrist guards, everything will be perfectly good.

And again, more power does not only mean more possible speed, but also more safety below the max speed. You can't have one without the other here. (But you can set speed limits in the app;))

• Upvote 2

On 7/4/2017 at 1:52 PM, Chriull said:

Should be one of the good unicycles - there are many satisfied riders around here. But also 

can happen, as it seems.

So beside the brand of the unicycle a good and reliable dealer is very important!

ps.: And it drives 30 km/h - so it can lead to dangerous situations. Protective wear (helmet, wrist, knee and elbowguards) are very recommandable. But that's almost the same as with a bycicle?

Thanks. Now that you mentioned it, yeah, I have to buy those protective gears as well. :D

On 7/4/2017 at 8:44 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

You can't go wrong with a V8. Yes, there are others that have bigger batteries and are faster (the V8 is fast enough!), but also more expensive and bulkier (and the Inmotions are the most tested and safest ones currently). Especially for a teen, the sleek V8 with its LED lighting (can be disabled, if you want to) should be great. Perfect choice!

The Inmotion V5F+ (make sure it's the V5F+, not V5F, that one has a smaller battery, too small in my opinion) is essentially the same as the V8, but a bit smaller (tire wise) and cheaper. Also a great choice.

One of these two is the perfect choice for your situation (the V8 has the nice lights though, the V5F+ not).

Buy from a reputable dealer like ewheels.com (I believe he's the exclusive Inmotion dealer for the US anyways) for possible service and support and you're doing exactly the right thing.

(If you're worried about possible tire scraping, that has been fixed by using a different tire.)

And yes, hard wrist guards (not just gloves) and a helmet (bike, skateboard, whatever) is the minimum protection that should always be used (more is secondary).

Thanks for that. I gotta take a look at the Inmotion V5F+ as well. ^_^

On 7/4/2017 at 9:33 PM, WARPed1701D said:

As already mentioned I would also consider the V5+ or V5F+. The V5+ has the large battery for range but I'd slower at 12mph max speed. The F variant gets you to 15mph. The V8  goes over 18mph. It depends how much power you want to put in your sons hands. Any crash over about 10mph can result in some serious injury so make your choice wisely. Buy all the protective gear but ask yourself if he will wear it when you aren't watching. Slower might be better.

What's your sons weight?  The V8 is recommended for heavier riders.

I see. My son only weighs 42 kg. So I guess, I have to choose the V5F+ then. 

11 hours ago, CaptainKBLS said:

This is the order of importance TO ME:

1) Battery which defines the range of the wheel V8 is 20-30 miles (to me speed is not as important)

* under 360 watts is nice for  travel on airplane on vacation...

2) Weight of the wheel (V8 is 30lb)

3) Front headlight and trolley handle ( I personally will not buy one without the trolley handle)

4) Wheel size is not as important but larger less bumpy and easier to learn, etc.  smaller fits trunk better

I've been riding my V8 since April.  My 5, 11 and 12 all use it.  For me, I wish I had more range.

Wow! I have a 5-year old as well but honestly, I'm quite afraid for him to try it out. He's still a baby for me hahaha! Anyway, that's nice to know that kids can use it.

1 minute ago, TerminalVelocity said:

Not at all. The V8 is suitable for both heavy and lightweight riders. It is just the V5 models have smaller motors which is why they are not recommended for heavier riders. AAt 42kg you can pick either based on the suitability of other specs (speed, weight, etc).

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Guys, stop telling any possible horror story that comes to your mind:)

Just let the lady buy a V8 or V5F+, they're the right choice here, and the safest and most tested electric unicycles on the market.

Electric unicycles are by concept instable and if you're an idiot, you can manage to do something stupid. But you make it sound like the boy should rather stay at home playing video games. With a helmet and wrist guards, everything will be perfectly good.

And again, more power does not only mean more possible speed, but also more safety below the max speed. You can't have one without the other here. (But you can set speed limits in the app;))

Thanks again. I'll make sure my son must have safety measures. By the way, I must go with the V5F+. Just had a look and my son said he loves it even more! :D

1 minute ago, TerminalVelocity said:

Thanks again. I'll make sure my son must have safety measures. By the way, I must go with the V5F+. Just had a look and my son said he loves it even more! :D

The V5F+ is indeed a fine wheel. A good mix of speed, range and weight, especially for a 14 year old. It looks awesome. Has front and rear lights. Be sure to add the trolley handle to your order so your son can easily wheel it about in situations when he is unable to ride it. You may also want to consider the official Inmotion protective cover so he can learn to ride (drop it) without putting scratches on the body and take it off when he has become a confident rider.

1 hour ago, Pard said:

Teens are fickle creatures.  

That's true - but beeing the star with such a unique and cool device among his friends and especially giving private driving lessons to the cutest girls should keep him very very very very motivated! 

You may want to start with a simple V3.

https://www.ewheels.com/inmotionv3pro/

Best value before you commit to major investment.

He will hate @TerminalVelocityif he gets this after having seen the cool v8 and v5f+.

his friends will outrun him and laugh, while he tries to keep up with a beeping uncool wheel ... and he will throw it in a dark corner and never speak again with @TerminalVelocity...

and i would noone - also not a 42kg teen never ever recommend a 1p (144 wh) configured battery pack - thats just asking for a faceplant!

The v5f+ with the 550w motor and 480wh battery should be especially for his weight absolutely sufficient, safe and "super". Imho the battery capacity is one of the most important safety features - more batteries delivering current that can keep him upright!

the battery capacity and motor power should give him the safe ability to out-accelerate every bike everytime.

Maybe the 15.5 mph could be to slow again with his friends riding bikes and overtaking him while his wheel beeps and tilts-back? This could be the argument for the v8?

That was the route I took with my kids.  

A good decision and advice! Just in this case it could be counterproductive and lead maybe to demotivation or double investment, withdrawal of affection and quite sure less safety ( not taking into account that accidents with 11.2 mph will usually not lead to serious injuries)

edit: ps.: and if everything develops differently @TerminalVelocity can take the v5f+ or v8 and start riding and loving the wheel - thats not really the possibility with a v3...

Edited by Chriull
  • Upvote 2

WARPed1701D started the "V5F+ or V8. Help me decide" thread and he decided on the V8 since you get more for just $53 difference.

Also I wanted to point out that this is like a car.  Once you pull the trigger, it'll be hard to exchange or return.

While I agree the V3 is cheaper, you may find out it's insufficient for your usage and then have to buy a better one....which ends up costing you more at the end...IMO

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CaptainKBLS said:

WARPed1701D started the "V5F+ or V8. Help me decide" thread and he decided on the V8 since you get more for just $53 difference.

Also I wanted to point out that this is like a car.  Once you pull the trigger, it'll be hard to exchange or return.

While I agree the V3 is cheaper, you may find out it's insufficient for your usage and then have to buy a better one....which ends up costing you more at the end...IMO

It was $53 difference after adding the accessory pack to the V5F+ (trolley handle, fast charger, protective cover) vs the V8 with just the cover added (trolley handle built in).  Fast charger wasn't originally desired for either but it came in the accessory pack and was basically free vs the cost of buying the handle and cover alone.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, CaptainKBLS said:

That is true.  I have a V8 and Gotway MsuperV3 on the way from Jason.  But the V3 will not collect dust.  It is the gateway drug my kids are sharing with their friends to get them addicted, and then to badger their parents into buying  :)

Edited by Pard

Sounds like you made a great choice.

I just want to emphasize the importance of safety gear. I wouldn't even let m y kid on one of these things unless he was wearing safety gear *EVERY TIME*.

I would also put aside a serious budget for it.  Safety is never a secondary consideration.  It is always worth spending for safety.  In that regard, I would get good equipment and plenty of it.

As someone mentioned above, gloves and a good helmet are a minimum ... but to me that would be an unacceptable minimum.  I would get:

1.  A good hard helmet, not just a soft bike helmet.

2.  Gloves with integrated wrist guards.  They will have a metal or plastic plate that may or may not be replaceable that covers a span from the inside of the wrist to about the middle of the palm.  Some will have a plate on the back of the wrist and/or hand, and some will have foam protection there, and some will have essentially nothing, just cloth and perhaps the straps.  Go for the gusto on the gloves and helmet, don't hesitate to spend.  When most people fall, they instinctively put their hands out in front of them ... so your sons wrists and hands will likely take the first and perhaps the hardest hit if he falls.  And when we learn ... we will probably fall a lot.

3.  I don't think knee pads are optional.  Knee injuries are extremely painful and extraordinarily debilitating.  When you have them, your body tries to compensate in other ways that can lead to multiple structural alignment problems throughout the rest of the body.  For instance, if you hurt your left knee, you may start to lean and turn your spine in such a way that your opposite hip starts operating in a weird way and becomes strained as well.  This can keep going right up to the top of your spine.  Because you use your knees constantly, and even lying down or sitting stretches and twists them, healing is very slow, too.  You really do not want to hurt your knees.  So I consider a knee protector with a good strong plate on top of quality foam an absolute must.

4.  Elbow protectors are good stuff too.

I would emphasize safety with your child, always.  First, last, and always.  And spend quite freely and accordingly.  

Also,, to keep your machine from getting scratched up too much -- and it will probably get scratched plenty otherwise -- I would check out the photo thread here and watch some videos to get an idea where to paid your machine with rolls of protective foam.  Pad the rider and pad the ride!  

I know you and your son like the looks of the V5, but if either of you really do get vain about the looks of the wheel, then you can at least use protective foam to keep it looking reasonably good until your son is a pro at riding it.  I'd always use at least a little foam, but to start off with ... well, I wouldn't start off at all without protective foam.  Absolutely everyone can and will drop and scrape their wheel while learning to ride it.  And most will drop it long after that, too.  Unless you're completely fine with either replacing a dinged, cracked, or scraped up shell ... or just living with a beat-up and potentially compromised machine ... it's better to try to minimize damage in the first place.

• Upvote 3

@TerminalVelocity I have a 12 and 17 year old and they ride a V5F and a V8.  They are both great options and whether you go with either of those or the V5F+ model they will no doubt be very happy.  Another option that you may want to consider is the KS-14S.  I bring this up because this one offers speakers.  Most teenagers I know (mine included) love music and sometimes it's all that matters.  The KS offers greater range than either of the Inmotion wheels and the same speed as the V8.  The 14S also has lights, not as cool as the V8, but still enough to satisfy the "cool" factor.  The 14S also has some pretty significant padding, which for beginners matters a fair amount as lower leg pain is pretty common from most wheels, which don't offer a lot of padding (V8 offers next to none and the V5F has a minimal amount).  The trolley handle on the 14S looks pretty solid too, which I think compares more favorably to the V8 than the V5F.  

Regardless of which wheel you choose, I would reiterate @meepmeepmayer's recommendation of ordering through a reputable dealer.  It's not worth saving a few bucks with this type of technology.  You'll have questions and if/when something goes wrong, you want a person that you can count on to help you.  I've worked with @Jason McNeil at ewheels.com and he's been nothing short of extraordinary.  Best of luck and look forward to hearing what wheel you choose and how the big reveal with your son goes in September!

• Upvote 1

On 7/5/2017 at 3:47 PM, TerminalVelocity said:

Your son's weight is absolutely fine for a V8. The only relevance of a person's weight concerning eucs (and yes, this is a 'delicate' topic) is whether or not the rider is too heavy for the wheel to sustain them.

As far as speed is concerned, don't forget that all but the fastest eucs are easily overtaken by a kid on a bicycle. Assuming your son rides (or has ridden) a bicycle before, he's gone WELL OVER 30kph plenty of times. The priority should be a reliable wheel from a reliable seller.

The other 'delicate' topic of course, is age. Many people on this forum are 'mature,' and this is THE biggest factor in how potentially serious a crash is, if it happens. Your son is 14. He's just about indestructible. Pad him up well and he'll be fine.

If you don't mind the extra expense, get the V8.

Edited by Paddylaz
  • Upvote 2