Anyone else into VR?

Trey Lewis

Anyone here into VR? I was an early adopter and a Rift DK1&2 user, and man was VR a rough experience back then where every game makes you sick. I was in the first minute of Vive preorders and loved it, but content was thin for a long time and I am just now getting back into the VR scene. If anyone from NA wants to play some of the multiplayer titles let me know, they seem to be the most fun and I would love to talk wheels at the same time.

Yup! Built my own rig over the holidays to use with the Vive. Overclocked Intel 6700k with a GTX1080Ti. I brought a ton of games on the Steam Christmas sale but only played a handful of them due to being addicted to Elite Dangerous. I played the original in the early nineties so when I heard it was released and in VR I went all in building the rig. Not done much multiplayer stuff as quite frankly most other players are dicks but really want to play Star Trek Bridge Crew and while you can single play it it is mainly for multiplayer. Loved The Gallery Ep. 1 "Call of the Starseed". Can't wait for the release of ep. 2 shortly. Also excited about Fallout 4 and Doom VFR this year and Skyrim next year. Great content on the horizon finally. No more Zombie wave shooters!

4 hours ago, Trey Lewis said:

Anyone here into VR? I was an early adopter and a Rift DK1&2 user, and man was VR a rough experience back then where every game makes you sick. I was in the first minute of Vive preorders and loved it, but content was thin for a long time and I am just now getting back into the VR scene. If anyone from NA wants to play some of the multiplayer titles let me know, they seem to be the most fun and I would love to talk wheels at the same time.

I have three vives. Haven't used them much since the initial craze. Resolution must improve before it becomes more immersive. Anyways, I'm in Hong Kong so there's a latency issue with NA.

52 minutes ago, John Eucist said:

I have three wives. Haven't used them much since the initial craze. Resolution must improve before it becomes more immersive. Anyways, I'm in Hong Kong so there's a latency issue with NA.

You three timer you!  :blink:   How do you keep them all separate and happy?  Don't forget - happy wives happy lives!  :innocent1:

1 minute ago, John Eucist said:

You know that quoting someone and then editing that quote so that it looks like they said something that they didn't is awesome etiquette! So I'll let this one slide in the name of hunka-humor. :P 

I agree...  :rolleyes:

Anyway... getting this thread back on-track (I must not be feeling well)...

I took the "easy" option and got the PlayStation version. And it works quite well. But it gets a bit sweaty wearing it during summer. 

11 minutes ago, John Eucist said:

:furious:

My bad... Sorry, I couldn't resist. 

I'll behave from now on (until Sunday week at least) - I'm getting excited about my upcoming Marty-venture now, and I don't want to do anything that might get me expelled...

EDIT: And it's all thanks to you @John Eucist :D Without your forum, I'd just be a fat and lonely unicyclist!  :(

I had the Oculus Rift DK2 and enjoyed using it, except for the screen door effect, then got the CV1 when it was released and had even more fun BUT just before Christmas I got a 32" 4K G-Sync monitor and I have preferred playing on that than in VR so one of my brothers now has the CV1.

I may be tempted my an Augmented Reality headset once they become available but in the meantime I'll just stick with 4K

28 minutes ago, TremF said:

I had the Oculus Rift DK2 and enjoyed using it, except for the screen door effect, then got the CV1 when it was released and had even more fun BUT just before Christmas I got a 32" 4K G-Sync monitor and I have preferred playing on that than in VR so one of my brothers now has the CV1.

I may be tempted my an Augmented Reality headset once they become available but in the meantime I'll just stick with 4K

My friend has my CV1, I let them borrow it probably 8 months ago. I haven't felt inclined to ask for it since I had the Vive mostly collecting dust anyway.

Glad to see there are some people here though, even if it isn't anyone to team up with. I imagined a few people would be into it after seeing the bitcoin chain. I have realized there are more mutual interest here than just EUCs.

I had the DJI Goggles that I waited months to receive but fortunately they ended up at the bottom of our lake 10 days ago before I had a chance to use them!:crying:

12 hours ago, John Eucist said:

You know that quoting someone and then editing that quote so that it looks like they said something that they didn't isn't very good etiquette. But I'll let this one slide in the name of hunka-humor. :P 

:D  My bad my bad.  I actually didn't pass my netiquette class which actually does explain a lot.  :efeec46606:   Where I see a vulnerability in forum software, I can't help but exploit it!  :eff05cf9bc:  Plus honestly I tend to read too quickly (and type too fast!) so it all blurs together a bit.  I actually thought you wrote wives instead of vives as the later isn't a real word so the brain automatically processes it to the next closest known word.

5933693_f520.jpg

I have a cheap AliExpress Google Cardboard VR box that actually wasn't too bad for the price ($1.99).  After getting a bit nauseous I haven't touched it since, but it was pretty cool.  It's probably a good idea to be in a cool environment with AC/fans while using VR as you do sweat a bit I find while using them.  

2 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:D  My bad my bad.  I actually didn't pass my netiquette class which actually does explain a lot.  :efeec46606:   Where I see a vulnerability in forum software, I can't help but exploit it!  :eff05cf9bc:  Plus honestly I tend to read too quickly (and type too fast!) so it all blurs together a bit.  I actually thought you wrote wives instead of vives as the later isn't a real word so the brain automatically processes it to the next closest known word.

I actually read "wives" too on my first pass.

@WARPed1701D How is the multiplayer aspect of Elite Dangerous?

I spent sooooooo much time on that game as a kid on the C-64. Charting planets, logging trade routes. It just came out on PS4 and I'm soooo tempted, but I have such a hard time nowadays finishing any single player game (time and attention problems). If it has any sort of multiplayer interaction (with voice chat), it may be enough to get me to try it.

14 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

@WARPed1701D How is the multiplayer aspect of Elite Dangerous?

I spent sooooooo much time on that game as a kid on the C-64. Charting planets, logging trade routes. It just came out on PS4 and I'm soooo tempted, but I have such a hard time nowadays finishing any single player game (time and attention problems). If it has any sort of multiplayer interaction (with voice chat), it may be enough to get me to try it.

Technically the whole game is multiplayer now if you use the open server. The difference is that just like MMORPG those other players may interact with you or may just be passing by. You can hail them and engaage in voice comms if you choose. Or you can just send text comms. Or nothing. If you make friends you can take it a step further and form a wing of up to 4 ships and work together sharing profit, loot, mission rewards, and bounties. In the 2.3 update they introduced multicrew (not tried it) where someone owning a large enough ship can invite other players to take on roles aboard it. This can be in a tactical position, deployable fighter pilot, etc.

The problem with the open server is that it is PvP. Which is fine in many instances. It is after all more "real world". It allows players to engage in the pirating of other players with the real threat of damage or destruction to either party. But then you have the "gankers". People who exist in game simply to make life miserable for others. Consider them the mass murderers of the game. They will destroy you "just because" and right now the punishment system in the game allows them to do this with little recourse to themselves. They can make playing a pain. They concentrate in systems of interest (systems with Alien discoveries right now for example) where there are likely to be a lot of smaller ships trying to check stuff out. Easy targets.

I play mainly in a very large private group called Mobius PvE. All members have taken the agreement not to attack other Commanders unless in a conflict zone and you have chosen opposing sides. The group allows you to interact with other players without the fear of the gankers. It is a shame to have to play like this. Each group can house 10,000 members but considering the enormity of the universe and that only a small percentage of the group members are online at any one time it can be weeks sometimes without seeing another commander. It also sucks as I like the idea of facing down real people who are pirates but as always "gankers" ruin it. Mobius PvE is free to join. Google it. They may gave a group setup for PS already I'm excited to see how the punishment system changes things in patch 2.4.

Be aware that on the PS the game doesn't run in VR yet. It will eventually but they are trying to overcome some performance issues. Even the PS Pro has a hard time with the average VR game. Elite is well above average in terms of its demands. I push my PC to the limit processing graphics in for Elite and that is just about as powerful a computer as you can build right now.

@WARPed1701D Good info. I was very excited about No Man's Sky too...spent a significant amount of time on it, but before the last couple of updates, have not been back to it after seeing how the engine generated everything and it got repetitive after a few weeks. I may need to revisit that as well.

I read reviews that Elite is slow paced also, not sure if that appeals to me anymore either. The VR aspect is not super important to me, but I may end up picking Elite up this summer...still not sure.

Elite is not fast paced. You have to work to earn your upgrades and new ships. That means earning money and many complain of the "grind" required to play. That said. The game is what you make it, and that was part of the original drive for the game. "Blaze your own trail" I think was a slogan for the game. I for one love playing it, especially in VR. Put on the Vive and headphones and use a full HOTAS setup with rudder pedals, all positioned in the same locations as you view them in the game cockpit, and you can be transported into another world. It's pretty relaxing flying among the stars regardless of the progress you make in the game.

I've tried Oculus Rift (I think it's the "commercial" version) once, a friend brought his computer over for a few hours and mostly it was just the demos. Pretty cool, the effect works really well, but the hardware is glitchy, it dropped connection at times, might be down to poor connector on the goggles.

On 6/30/2017 at 9:42 AM, Circuitmage said:

Ps4 VR. But distracted with Friday the 13th right now.

I really like the stuff Ubisoft is putting out; Werewolf, Star Trek. Want to try more of their stuff.

Ubisoft, who I have mostly disliked across the years, really looks to be shaping up to be a huge competitor and driving force for VR. I just hope they don't let us down.

3 hours ago, Trey Lewis said:

Ubisoft, who I have mostly disliked across the years, really looks to be shaping up to be a huge competitor and driving force for VR. I just hope they don't let us down.

Bethesda is really pushing VR content too. :thumbup:

On 6/28/2017 at 10:16 PM, John Eucist said:

I have three vives. Haven't used them much since the initial craze. Resolution must improve before it becomes more immersive. Anyways, I'm in Hong Kong so there's a latency issue with NA.

Glad...

On 6/28/2017 at 11:11 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

You three timer you!  :blink:   How do you keep them all separate and happy?  Don't forget - happy wives happy lives!  :innocent1:

I wasn't the only one....  ???

im waiting for the $300 market to hit..  will need to buy 2 as well...   HP/Dell and Acer I think? Have some coming out for this Xmas holiday..  until then

fpv drones :)

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Doom VFR!  :w00t2:  Where’s @Marty Backe and @Duf?  

@WARPed1701D  you probably have been playing this one.  Is it pretty good?

Bridge crew is awesome but being an introvert I've not had much chance to play others which is really how it should be played. I need to join one of the online groups where people sign up to play seriously rather than get randomly matched with a load of weirdo's. There is too much going on for one person to do all roles and while you are supposed to be able to issue verbal orders to NPC Bridge officers from the captain's chair, the speech recognition (powered by IBM's Watson) isn't accurate enough. I recently got a licence for the wife to play too out of VR but not tried it yet. They recently released an expansion that includes TNG bridge and related missions. I need to try that next as the reboot (Chris Pine) bridge and TOS bridge are not really my thing. 

Doom VFR got some questionable reviews. Instead I've played Doom 3 BFG edition with the community developed VR patch and that was incredibly good for a community driven port. 

I spend much of my VR hours in Elite Dangerous. 

Next up I want to get the wireless adapter and then a Vive Pro. So much money. 

Archived