Bought a Ninebot One? Things to do before riding.

Bwuce Wee

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took the One on a very low traffic side street tonight. (no video sorry)  I ran a LOT of straight aways, I bet I did at least 4 miles. Here are my observations.

I managed a couple turns within the confines of the roadway but they were extremely shaky and right on the edge of falling.  I see others turn tight radius turns on the One with no problem so I am trying to figure why that feels so damn hard.  I think I may be EXTREMELY stiff in my posture from the waist down.  It feels like all movement is starting with my hips.  It seems like I should be able to get more control with ankle movement.

The wobble - yes the wobble is still there and I get it at varying speeds.  I did notice I feel it most consistently when braking.  It is not a constant thing so I doubt it is a problem with the wheel but when it starts I can feel my body tense up as I start to get fearful of falling.  That fear came to reality once during the ride when I had a bad swerve I didn't recover from that sent me spilling onto the asphalt.  After feeling like I almost broke my wrist I decided I need to wear something more substantial than weight lifting gloves with wrist wraps built in.  

Even with the wobble coming and going I did at times actually go fast enough to get tilt back which sort of surprised me.  The wheel now shows a total of almost 10 miles on the odometer. 

I did pretty well with stepping off the wheel in a non-chaotic fashion.  I would say that I was successful 85% of the time.

The one straightaway was quite long.  I stopped myself about halfway down it as my lower body was feeling fatigued.  I assume that there are EUC muscles that I am only starting to develop.  As my lower body starts to feel more fatigued I feel less steady on the wheel.  I also have to fight a mild sense of panic when the wheel is approaching tilt back speed.  I can't stop myself from thinking "If I fall at this speed it is going to hurt, a lot"

I really need to get turning under control. I am hoping to get a break in this rain and mow down a section of yard as short as I can so I can turn and fall on grass where the damage is less severe to both the bot and myself. 

7 minutes ago, Duf said:

I managed a couple turns within the confines of the roadway but they were extremely shaky and right on the edge of falling.  I see others turn tight radius turns on the One with no problem so I am trying to figure why that feels so damn hard.  I think I may be EXTREMELY stiff in my posture from the waist down.  It feels like all movement is starting with my hips.  It seems like I should be able to get more control with ankle movement.

Relaxing is very important - going to work yesterday I was wearing a heavy-ish backpack (which changes my balance) and it was icy - the resulting journey was slow with very stiff turns. Coming back in the afternoon with no backpack and all of the ice gone, I was a lot more relaxed and everything flowed beautifully - the ride was faster and the turns very fluid...  Relaxation is a big factor, and it will come in time.

11 minutes ago, Duf said:

I did pretty well with stepping off the wheel in a non-chaotic fashion.  I would say that I was successful 85% of the time.

Yay @Duf!

12 minutes ago, Duf said:

The one straightaway was quite long.  I stopped myself about halfway down it as my lower body was feeling fatigued.  I assume that there are EUC muscles that I am only starting to develop.  As my lower body starts to feel more fatigued I feel less steady on the wheel.  I also have to fight a mild sense of panic when the wheel is approaching tilt back speed.  I can't stop myself from thinking "If I fall at this speed it is going to hurt, a lot"

There are definitely EUC muscles that we all need to develop. And even once you do you will find some subtle differences in position will change your comfort level considerably.

I find riding long straight roads quite difficult - with calf and foot pain - mainly due to just "standing still." So counter that I ride long slow zig-zags. Only a foot or two from side-to-side, but the shifting of weight seems to assist with circulation and keeps me "fresh."

16 minutes ago, Duf said:

I really need to get turning under control. I am hoping to get a break in this rain and mow down a section of yard as short as I can so I can turn and fall on grass where the damage is less severe to both the bot and myself. 

Riding on grass can actually be harder than concrete or asphalt, as there are lots of hidden bumps and hollows. From your video though, your lawn looks quite good and you seemed to have no real issues. And the softer landing should help with your "impact confidence" so go for it. If you can ride well around a paddock, you will find it wonderfully easy when you get back onto a sealed surface.

@Duf  The fatigue is normal when riding, and even after you've gotten used to it when riding far.  When you are more comfortable, you can lift one foot, then the other to alleviate that.  You are cutting off circulation to your feet and legs by standing stiff legged and keeping feet on pedals.  But it's sometimes tough till you get more comfortable.

Your shaky turns are likely due to being tense.  You will eventually loosen up and riding will become MUCH more pleasurable.  Turns will be easier, and you will be able to ride further.  We now ride 20-30 miles at a time (Feet and legs still hurt a lot after these long rides).  Yes, using ankles and more leg loosness helps this a lot, and will come when you are able to loosen up more.  It's another one of those CLICK things that happens.  All of a sudden you loosen up.

Be careful about riding near the tilt back, especially when learning still.  While learning, you are tense, and more likely to make an abrupt maneuver, which in turn can cut the wheel off and throw you down.  It will definitely hurt at top speed.  Possibly even break things badly, even with protective gear on.

You are doing AWESOME, and are not giving up, which is the hardest thing to overcome.  It WILL be worth it.  I still cannot believe how fun it is each time I get on it.

3 hours ago, cloudust said:

@Duf When you do tight turn, your body needs to lean forward. This is what I've experienced. Your body needs to be relaxed to make the ride stable and can make corrections quickly.

I watched a Speedy Feet video about turning last night and it made me realize what  I was doing wrong.  Ian said you need to press down with the foot on the side you are turning to while relaxing the tension in the other leg.  He also said to concentrate on keeping a flat foot on that steering foot so you aren't accelerating as you are turning.  What I have been doing is keeping my lower legs stiffly pinned to the sides of the bot while trying to turn which would explain why my turning radius was so big and why it was such a struggle to keep my balance as I was tipping my entire body.

Late in the ride yesterday I started getting the sense of being able to steer more with my feet and ankles instead of my stiffened legs.  This weekend I want to try out some of Ian's tips.

4 hours ago, Duf said:

I watched a Speedy Feet video about turning last night and it made me realize what  I was doing wrong.

It's awesome you realized what was wrong and you are going to try the tips.  Not everyone can figure it out by themselves.  You are getting closer to 10 miles rides...   You're gonna love those.

I just did a brief 10 minute ride using some of the tips and I am happy to say I turned around in my driveway for the first time ever, without falling.  Video to come later. :)

Last video for awhile, I think "IT" finally clicked.  It took about three weeks of enduring some pain and a don't quit attitude.  Thanks to everyone here that helped me push forward!

49 minutes ago, Duf said:

Last video for awhile, I think "IT" finally clicked.  It took about three weeks of enduring some pain and a don't quit attitude.  Thanks to everyone here that helped me push forward!

Awesome work @Duf - it definitely looks like things have clicked for you! 

In the video you make a nice turn, with pedal scrape (@ 7:30). You drop your hip and bend your knee, looking very relaxed and fluid. Just as it should be. 

You make the comment that you're going slow - which (just like a bike) is harder than going fast - and definitely a skill to learn. 

The level you've got to in 3 weeks is significant. Now you just need to enjoy the practising. 

A warning though... you will soon resent having to walk any further than 100 yards, and will always be thinking about how much faster / funner it would have been on your Ninebot. :D

27 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Awesome work @Duf - it definitely looks like things have clicked for you! 

In the video you make a nice turn, with pedal scrape (@ 7:30). You drop your hip and bend your knee, looking very relaxed and fluid. Just as it should be. 

You make the comment that you're going slow - which (just like a bike) is harder than going fast - and definitely a skill to learn. 

The level you've got to in 3 weeks is significant. Now you just need to enjoy the practising. 

A warning though... you will soon resent having to walk any further than 100 yards, and will always be thinking about how much faster / funner it would have been on your Ninebot. :D

Good on ya, Duf!  Your videos are fun to watch and will pay it forward for many new riders to come.

One safety comment: the helmet chin strap looks loose in all your videos, and the helmet sits tilted more to the rear of your head. This may be comfy, but if/when you experience a faceplant, the helmet could be jarred out of position or off your head. You may also want to wear the helmet tilted more forward to protect your features and forehead. There may not be much risk of injury in a quiet, smooth carpark at low to moderate speed; but when riding fast, crossing a busy street or dodging cars you could be at greater risk.

@Fat Unicyclist: how do kiwi drivers react to you?

3 hours ago, litewave said:

An EUC is still very much an oddity where I live (just north of Wellington). I think there must only be about a ½ dozen riders in the larger metropolitan area, so I still get "noticed" on a daily basis - mostly positive comments.

Because of the road rules in NZ, I am apparently riding a pedestrian controlled vehicle, so have to ride on the sidewalk. But unless I am just going to circle the block, I also need to cross roads - on a pedestrian crossing where possible. And a couple of times drivers have (I assume) decided that as I am on a wheel, that I am not a pedestrian so they have neglected to give way. Other than that though things are a lot more relaxed over here, so 99% of the time there are no problems.

I am also lucky that around here there are lots of cycle paths and pedestrian tracks that I can utilise - and in a couple of years they will be building a pedestrian / cycleway right through to Wellington city, which should be a lot of fun.

@litewave - would you by chance be an expat Kiwi?

natu letalis ibidem iaceo himenaeos distineo eum. ex tellus luptatum feugait abluo etiam in. iaceo iusto ideo aliquam malesuada roto. nec meus molestie nimis verto tum. parturient nam commoveo capio semper ille ornare. eros paulatim eros letalis curabitur velit defui.

58 minutes ago, litewave said:

I'm familiar with the Wellington region, and If you mean just north of the Wellington CBD, there are numerous small enclaves that are part of Wellington City that lie to the north, but I would expect them to be challenging environments to ride in (Kaiwharawhara, Ngaio, Ngauranga Gorge, even Johnsonville to Tawa, etc.) due to the hilly terrain and narrow, twisty roadways.

I realise I have gone off-topic, so maybe we need to start a kiwi thread at some point?

Oops, I should have clicked the link in your post and spared you and other readers the irrelevant discussion about a different geography. :rolleyes:

LH/Petone might be a cool area to ride in :)

Yes, I live in Maungaraki (overlooking Petone) and there are a lot of fun and challenging places to ride an EUC around the Wellington area. And they are adding a new cycleway from Petone to Wellington, which will add a great new ride - or commute even.  

Unfortunately it is very hilly and windy around Wellington, which can make an EUC challenging. But on those awesome summer days we have, there is nothing better! 

Yes, I think a "Great EUC Rides in NZ" topic would be interesting - if I can work out wheel rentals, it may even become a tourism venture. Then all of you can come and visit, perhaps riding the length of New Zealand and EUCing the NZ Cycle Trail.

9 hours ago, litewave said:

Good on ya, Duf!  Your videos are fun to watch and will pay it forward for many new riders to come.

One safety comment: the helmet chin strap looks loose in all your videos, and the helmet sits tilted more to the rear of your head. This may be comfy, but if/when you experience a faceplant, the helmet could be jarred out of position or off your head. You may also want to wear the helmet tilted more forward to protect your features and forehead. There may not be much risk of injury in a quiet, smooth carpark at low to moderate speed; but when riding fast, crossing a busy street or dodging cars you could be at greater risk.

Yea you are right the strap is loose, I will tighten it up.

I loved the comment a man made as I rode by him yesterday with a look of amazement on his face, "What are you, some sort of wizard???"

34 miles and counting on the 9B1E+.  First time riding in a development tonight, lots of "wtf" looks.  One crash when I tried to get on a sidewalk with a high edge while not squared up to it.  I stayed upright but the bot ejected a light ring. (snapped it back in)  I did well  but still have some moments of instability.  It's weird sometimes I feel tension in my quadricep which almost leads to a few seconds of instability and wobble.  Other times I am trucking along fine.

Hit BAD tilt back several times.  I was literally in a position like a ski jumper to stay on the bot.  I was just how surprised how severe the tilt back can get.  After 34 miles do you think I should try going to level 0 hardness instead of 3?

quis adipiscing convallis brevitas facilisis magnis consectetur huic. ligula bibendum quis quis valde enim feugait esca. augue auctor mauris venio per te. fermentum etiam iusto esca plaga scisco vulputate nisl. porta sudo quam nibh minim. metuo posuere dapibus nobis nutus mauris semper. opto lacus auctor iaceo dolore saluto.

14 hours ago, Duf said:

34 miles and counting on the 9B1E+.  First time riding in a development tonight, lots of "wtf" looks.  One crash when I tried to get on a sidewalk with a high edge while not squared up to it.  I stayed upright but the bot ejected a light ring. (snapped it back in)  I did well  but still have some moments of instability.  It's weird sometimes I feel tension in my quadricep which almost leads to a few seconds of instability and wobble.  Other times I am trucking along fine.

Hit BAD tilt back several times.  I was literally in a position like a ski jumper to stay on the bot.  I was just how surprised how severe the tilt back can get.  After 34 miles do you think I should try going to level 0 hardness instead of 3?

You can experiment in a safe area like your drive or in neighbourhood streets, but I would say no, not at this stage. Until you achieve tsahaylu with your Ninebot, best to control variables for now.

15 hours ago, Duf said:

0 probably won't affect the tilt back as much as just stiffen up the ride.  Mode 3 is fine for most people.  I ride on 1 now, but can ride either just fine.

The tilt back is likely due to going too fast, and getting there too fast.  I'd be VERY careful with that.  Quite a few people have broken bones, or worse when the wheel dies at top speeds (Cannot stress this enough as it may put a stop to your enjoyment for a Long time).  It can also tilt back hard when the battery is 20% or below.  It tilts very hard at that point to keep you going below 7 Miles Per hour.

The other thing that might be happening is you may have the Speed Limiter turned on.  If so, that tilt back is also pretty abrupt.  You can turn it on and off by pressing the speedometer icon in the app.  See iOS App Below (Android is similar):

NineBot Speed Limit Mode ON.jpgNineBot Speed Limit Mode OFF.jpg

Hmm I wonder if the speed limiter is on.  A few times when tilt back hit I looked at the app and it said I was going something around 14.5 mph so I would guess the limiter was off.  With my big feet it seems like my natural stance is going to apply forward pressure so I need to tweak that a bit.  

Yea having the wheel die at that speed would be bad news.  I have never run the battery below 50% so I should have avoided the low battery slow down I have read about.  I am going out after work at a nearby park.  I definitely am aware of the dangers of being over confident so I make sure to give myself a lot of safety space.

5 hours ago, litewave said:

Do you commute daily on the Hutt line to the Wellington CBD? Does your Lhotz handle the long ride from Western Hutt station up (and down) Maungaraki hill?

I work about 2/3 of my time from an office in the Lower Hutt CBD - about 6km from home - so my commute is down the hill and across the valley floor (charge at work) and then back again. 

The Lhotz is great for the journey, the hill, sidewalks and a bit of river bank. But if I hammer it on the hill, it does sometimes ask for a wee rest partway up. We have also had a cold snap just recently (2°C / 35°F in the mornings) and I have noticed the wheel seems sluggish - I'm thinking cold batteries.

The other 1/3 of my time I work in Auckland and Christchurch, so a bit far too wheel...

Archived