Bought a Ninebot One? Things to do before riding.

Bwuce Wee

1 hour ago, Duf said:

Hmm I wonder if the speed limiter is on.  A few times when tilt back hit I looked at the app and it said I was going something around 14.5 mph so I would guess the limiter was off.

It was definitely OFF.  14.5 MPH is really pushing this wheel.  15.3 is the highest I've ever been able to achieve, and only for a second.  With you being taller and heavier than me, you are on the brink of it cutting off and you being thrown off the wheel.  Try practicing riding 1-2 miles per hour under that speed in a controlled manner.  It will be much funner and safer.  I like to cruise around 12-12.5 MPH.  Still fast enough to get hurt, but not totally against the tilt back and on the virge of being thrown off at any moment.

I know someone that was tossed recently at around 7 MPH.  Out of work for a few days...  Just depends on how you land, and with 1/2 second to figure it out, you may not have a choice.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today was another CLICK moment.  Yea I backed off my speed.  I only hit the speed warning once in 7 miles of riding.  What I discovered is that by pinning my feet/ankles tight on the bot I thought I was making it more stable and less prone to wobble.  What I discovered today is I have just a small space between my ankles and the bot I can turn MUCH better and my overall riding position feels less tense.  All the suspicion I had about something being wrong with the wheel, causing my wobble was incorrect, just like everyone told me.  I hardly have the wobble at all now, it's all about technique and balance.  Thanks again for all the help!  I now have over 40 miles on my 9B1!!!

You have earned your Ninebot Wings.  B)   Look at you now!  Go back and watch video one just to see how far you've gotten.  Practice makes perfect.  It just gets easier and easier as you go along.  Practice some slaloming and stop and goes.  I see you've also adjusted your foot position which is good.

image.jpg

8 hours ago, Duf said:

Today was another CLICK moment.  Yea I backed off my speed.  I only hit the speed warning once in 7 miles of riding.  What I discovered is that by pinning my feet/ankles tight on the bot I thought I was making it more stable and less prone to wobble.  What I discovered today is I have just a small space between my ankles and the bot I can turn MUCH better and my overall riding position feels less tense.  All the suspicion I had about something being wrong with the wheel, causing my wobble was incorrect, just like everyone told me.  I hardly have the wobble at all now, it's all about technique and balance.  Thanks again for all the help!  I now have over 40 miles on my 9B1!!!

First off - Well done. Awesome work! And good video too.

The one thing that I wondered about suggesting to you (but didn't) earlier on was, "Have a beer (just one) before you ride." Some people (myself included) have found that just taking the edge off your nerves helps a lot with the relaxing and letting it happen...

37 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Or loosing your virginity while riding an EUC?

If I video that, will I win the competition? 

Or is that a different type of video? 

5 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Well if you did let's just say you would be a strong contender for first place, and I'd know who'd I'd be voting for!  :lol:

Seriously?  I'm not called @The Fat Unicyclist because I'm skinny you know?

I was just planning on just doing a backward somersault for the competition, but whatever floats your boat...

At  3:15 in your video, you mention it looks like you are flying.  I LOVE to fly, and when I try to explain to people what the sensation is when riding my NineBot, I often refer to it as feeling like I'm flying.  It's the closest I've come to flying on the ground of anything I've tried.  I think that's why I LOVE it so much!

You are doing SO much better, and I'm glad you found that loose feet help.  I can turn dragging one pedal on the ground in a circle with ease and under control by letting the wheel move between my legs.  I rode an MSuper this weekend, and I'm not able to do that with it, so the turns are MUCH wider.

It's awesome you recorded your process through all this.  It will give new riders a good feel for what to expect when they first try.  Don't give up and you'll soon be riding like @Duf!  And then the smiles become Standard Gear on the rides.

2 hours ago, Duf said:

You might not want to ride like me. :)

Dude!  where do I even begin? Let's go chronologically;

• Nice crotch shot - :unsure:
  • Your comment about background music vs.talking - I agree with you. It makes for a much more interesting video, hearing what your thinking and experiencing (and sharing your epiphanies).
  • Your fall - That looked like it was about to become an epic video (until it cut out) - :o - But congratulations on losing your EUC cherry! :blink:
  • Seriously though, especially as you only had minor injuries, consider this a (good) part of the learning curve - once everything starts clicking and you're feeling the excitement / freedom, it can become misleading. Finding your limits (and your wheels) keeps you honest and will make you a better rider overall.
  • And three words to finish - "industrial skateboard griptape!" - this one will match your pants - a number of riders add some for exactly this reason. When I added mine I wasn't sure if I liked it at first (as my feet became "glued" in place) but now I just love it. Particularly on non sealed surfaces, it keeps me connected to my wheel - I don't know if it gives me better control too, but it certainly feels like it does.

It's funny, when I fell with the GoPro rolling one of my first thoughts was "I got it on film!"  Too bad my thumb hit the button JUST as I slipped off the back.

I haven't seen anyone grip tape a NB1 but it doesn't sound like a bad idea?  For now I will have a new set of parameters for riding if the pedals are wet.

5 hours ago, Duf said:

I haven't seen anyone grip tape a NB1 but it doesn't sound like a bad idea?  For now I will have a new set of parameters for riding if the pedals are wet.

Or you could try MTB pedal pins...

Attempted my longest ride to date of over 10 miles.  Found out another thing the NB1 is not good at, long rides.  Once low battery tilt back kicked in it was a mess.  Hoping Santa brings me a Gotway ACM 16 this year. ;)

2 hours ago, Duf said:

Attempted my longest ride to date of over 10 miles.  Found out another thing the NB1 is not good at, long rides.  Once low battery tilt back kicked in it was a mess.  Hoping Santa brings me a Gotway ACM 16 this year. ;)

Most importantly, I love the fact that instead of getting frustrated and giving up on it you are talking about needing an ACM16...  @Duf, you are so hooked - congratulations!

When batteries get low, any sudden need for more power will become increasing difficult to achieve. To the point you were at where even a slight increase in incline or even headwind could prove too much and cause an unplanned exit.

And talking about the headwind - it doesn't take much of a breeze to muffle the those higher pitched beeps. Something I live with constantly in my home town - I really have to rely on the tilt-back to guide me. Though I don't think my IPS191 tilts back as much as your Ninebot appears to be.

PS. Kudos for getting the crash on video!

I've ridden to low battery at 20% but haven't experienced the limpmode yet. Guess I'm lucky. My terrain usually consists of rough sidewalks in suburban areas and long twisty bike paths. Still, I can see that the open flatlands in north Florida just beg for more battery and speed.

Have you considered SuperSport's battery compartment mod or the aftermarket solution from 1RadWerkstatt? @Scully has some good insights in his thread. The 1RadWerkstatt price is only 343.70euros for an extra 388Wh battery (total 708Wh) including replacement covers and free shipping to the US if paying with PayPal. That's only $384.34USD given the favourable exchange rate currently for the US Dollar to Euro. Of course PayPal collects an extra 1-2% on the conversion, but it's minimal.

Ouch it's always those times where you don't wear padding that those accidents seem to happen.

Although my app says that I have 27 km remaining after a fresh charge I don't believe it.  I get 20 km max with 167 lbs over various terrain.  I think 27 might be possible for a lighter rider over flat terrain and no headwind.  Wind resistance and hills really drain batteries fast as well as rider weight that is over the wheel's reference weight that they use to determine range.  That's why I think apps should ask  for rider weight to help adjust the estimated range.

Although the Dufman has plenty of room for the wider 1Radwerkstatt side compartments and extended battery packs, I  don't know if they have the certification papers or ability to ship the battery packs to the US.

With the tilt back just ride through it and shift back a little to slow down to get rid of it.  If it's severe you know the battery is getting very low so you have to roll at limpmode speed.  20 km is about 12.5 miles so carefully calculate out your route using Google Maps in cycling/walking mode.

1 hour ago, litewave said:

I've ridden to low battery at 20% but haven't experienced the limpmode yet. Guess I'm lucky. My terrain usually consists of rough sidewalks in suburban areas and long twisty bike paths. Still, I can see that the open flatlands in north Florida just beg for more battery and speed.

Have you considered SuperSport's battery compartment mod or the aftermarket solution from 1RadWerkstatt? @Scully has some good insights in his thread. The 1RadWerkstatt price is only 343.70euros for an extra 388Wh battery (total 708Wh) including replacement covers and free shipping to the US if paying with PayPal. That's only $384.34USD given the favourable exchange rate currently for the US Dollar to Euro. Of course PayPal collects an extra 1-2% on the conversion, but it's minimal.

first-

unfortunatly no chance 1radwerkstatt can sent to the USA

second-

the 343 euro is "just" a "normal" 388wh pack....in exchange for the 320wh.

what you mean...an Plus pack with wider side panels...to get together 708wh...is 400plus euro....

but whatever...see first point :-(

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

first-

unfortunatly no chance 1radwerkstatt can sent to the USA

second-

the 343 euro is "just" a "normal" 388wh pack....in exchange for the 320wh.

what you mean...an Plus pack with wider side panels...to get together 708wh...is 400plus euro....

but whatever...see first point :-(

Huh. I went through checkout after selecting the 708Wh option at the link in my previous post and I got all the way through checkout with free shipping to the US, so etwas stimmt nicht.

4 hours ago, litewave said:

I've ridden to low battery at 20% but haven't experienced the limpmode yet

@litewave I got my battery down to 20% for the first time yesterday, never got below 50% before but I wanted to see just what it would do at low battery.  It would tilt back slowly if I went over about 7.5 mph.  So I could not go very fast but still not limp home mode.  I think that starts at 10% but not sure.  Anyway the lights were very low and turned red.  It felt weaker like like the acceleration was a little slower and it just felt like it would not be a good idea to lean forward as much as on a full battery.  But it never dropped me and I felt that if I rode with no aggressive acceleration it would probably go several more miles, the app said there was several miles more range left.

8 hours ago, litewave said:

Huh. I went through checkout after selecting the 708Wh option at the link in my previous post and I got all the way through checkout with free shipping to the US, so etwas stimmt nicht.

I know from some Facebook Posts that they tried a several times with sifferent services to send batteries to the USA...and that it never worked!

Their Website is not so professional and for other spare parts ....sure you can check USA.

But believe me: Batteries? No Chance! I someone is really interested, mail them and ask...but it is lost time!

15 hours ago, litewave said:

I'd be very interested to know if you get those batteries.  I've been trying to get them to ship to me ever since they announced them.  They keep telling me they cannot get them to the US.  If something has changed, please let us know.  I'd order immediately.

IE:  First Tilt Back Video at Boardwalk.

Ok @Duf, I'm not going to say "I Told You So" because I'm sure you already know, but that's exactly what I was getting at about not riding against the Tilt Back and Beeping.  Other than the Tilt Back and Beeping, there is no warning when it's going to happen.  Wet pedals or not, it will suddenly stop and throw you off.

I'm glad you are ok, but practice riding below the Beeps/Tilts.  It will save you a lot of skin and possible broken bones.  I have a friend that just went off at 7 mph due to a cut-out, and he's been missing work due to his injuries.  At 13-14 mph, you were very lucky.  And, just imagine if you were in traffic, we might now be hearing about you on the news... :(

Thank you for the videos and please be safe. ;)

I'm glad you posted the 2nd video of Tilt Back.  Since a lot of people that are learning are watching this thread, it's good for them to see.

Our group rides in San Francisco a lot, and we have heavy winds there too.  I believe you were dealing with TWO issues.  One, Battery, Two, Wind.

First, when the battery is at around 40%, the wheel tilts back easier to let you know it's running low on power.  You really need to pay attention to the beeps and tilts at this point (Actually at any point, they are warnings).  You are right, the wind makes it almost impossible to hear the Beeps, so feel for the Tilts.  The wheel has less power to give at this point, so the wheel is warning you.

Second, the wind.  To the wheel, the wind is like going up a hill.  It is making the wheel work harder as if it's climbing a hill.  When climbing a hill, or heading into the wind, your speed and power reserve available to you is lowered.  Extra power is used, so any small bumps on the road, or twitch of the feet, or 'Gust of Wind', can be the last straw that throws you off.  I didn't see exactly which one caused the cut out, but since there were at least three possibilities, you'll need to adjust your ride accordingly.

I'm really sorry you are learning the hard way, but SO glad you have not been hurt worse.  And, again, this is GREAT for those learning to ride so they hopefully don't run into the same problems.

PS:  While it is Harder to have this happen on an ACM or MSuper, it's not impossible.  We've seen it happen to the strongest wheels.

Archived