Bought a Ninebot One? Things to do before riding.

Bwuce Wee

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Duf If you watch some of SpeedyFeetUK's videos, especially the earlier ones, he several times mentions getting a wobble on in the middle of a ride for no apparent reason.  I'm starting to wonder if it is peculiar to Ninebots.

Aw so cute it's wagging its tail wanting to go for a ride!  ;)

I think he has it propped up likely on a pivot point against the sidewalk.  The balancing software is likely pulsing back and forth to find balance which leads to the wagging/oscillating motion.  At speed the wobbles come from leg tremors I believe when they get fatigued.  I experienced it a couple of times, but lately not so much.  If you're tense it probably feeds back more so autonomically you are creating the wobbles without realizing it.

Try. The. Padding. :P   Once you find your balance point in between your feet you won't need the cushions any more.  Trust me.  I ride and barely touch the side pads any more.  There is still contact, but there is less gripping force on the sides.

Edit:. Huge huge improvement!  Wow you are doing really really well!  Thanks for the shout out BTW :lol:.  No need to look and sound so discouraged!  If you relax a bit and trust the wheel I bet those shakes will diminish... Next time keep rolling don't stop.  Do a few laps.  The more you do the more relaxed you'll get.  Session 6 and you're making great progress.  

For launches position one foot correctly on the pedal and with the Ninebot tipped slightly towards the other side, push off straight like on a skateboard and the hop the other foot on.  A gentle push is fine.  Just like on a bike you kind of do the same thing if you think about it except you start pedalling to keep it moving.  I think without the added cushions you aren't stabilizing the bot as you push off so it turns.  My inner calf rests against the bot while it is tilted I think which helps.  If you had some extra padding hint hint it would make things easier during the learning process.

ps: Maybe get the hot wife :wub: to help film you next time.

Hey @Duf - I think you are doing really well!

You commented that you're not too confident with the launch... Which is actually harder than the riding. 

I notice that (for one of your starts at least) your "ground" foot was behind the pedal - I started this way too, as it seemed natural. But you might want to try something a little different;

I found that it is a much smoother to start with your ground foot to the side of the pedal and in line with it. This changes the launch action from bringing your foot forward to bringing it inward. Also, start with the wheel leaning slightly toward your ground foot. 

During the launch your centre of gravity has to move side-to-side a little, but if you aren't shifting it forward / backward at the same time then there is less compensation required (and less to think / worry about).

I am glad you are learning on a quality wheel.  I think that is why you are learning so fast.  I never got any confidence on my 1st wheel, a 132wh battery, 350 watt motor just didn't have enough power for my weight.  If you can ride that far already, all it is now is just getting used to it by riding a little every now and then.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2015 at 3:11 AM, Rotator said:

With low presure you will have more surface to contact the ground. High presure converts the wheel in a knife edge

Right, start with lower tire pressure while learning, then as your skills increase, try higher pressure. I began learning with 35 psi in the tire. At first I did not like high pressure because balancing was harder. After a while though, I realized I like high pressure because the wheel is more responsive and maneuverable. So I continued practicing with high pressure in the tire, and now I usually ride with 50-55 psi. The only disadvantage is reduced shock absorption.

The "wobble" is something I experienced in the beginning stages with my 9 bot 1 e+. It was a result of my lack of riding skill, not the wheel. Keep up the practice, it will go away. It may take a while for you since your inner legs don't contact the 9 bot tightly, but it is still possible. I rode for miles today purposely keeping my legs from touching the sides, and had no problems with wobble, balance or turning. 

Keep it up. You are progressing well, and these problems WILL pass! Trust me!

Add some extra padding over the existing shell. This will widen the shell enough to allow for greater purchase of your calves and reduce the wobble. I had the same problem but like @HunkaHunkaBurningLove states, you will eventually not be touching. I still grip tight when doing sharp turns and maneuvers. 

I am transitioning from the NB1 to the V5F + and have the same wobble again because the V is much narrower than the NB.

Thanks again to all for the feedback.  After my ride yesterday which left me with two very red and raw ankles, I did two things to hopefully help some with the wobble.  I noticed the battery pack has double sided tape on it but it isn't actually secured in it's compartment as the second side of the tape still has it's protective material on it.  I peeled it off so the battery pack remains stationary instead of having the opportunity to move around slightly in the compartment.  Second I did the manual calibration process.  Prior to that I only tried calibrating through the app which does not seem to do the same thing. 

I did a couple quick rides up and down the driveway and did not feel the wobble but my ankles were too raw to try it out more.  Yes I will grab some foam as well and see how that feels.

My fiance and I went out for a 10K ride on our Ninebot Minipro's this morning and it was a very relaxing and fun ride.  With the One every ride feels like it is a split second away from disaster.  I hope someday I can have level of ease riding it that I have on the MiniPro.

33 minutes ago, Duf said:

I hope someday I can have level of ease riding it that I have on the MiniPro.

Given enough time and practice, it will come to you. Then you'll be weaving through crowds at crawl-speeds, curving and slaloming with ease, as well as riding long straights near full speed without even needing to think about it, you "just do it". Although, I'd recommend to avoid crowded places until you've learned good control of the wheel, but it will "click" at one point... when that happens, no-one knows, some people learn in a few hours, for others it might take weeks or months (of course also depending on how often you practice).

Don't know if having a MiniPro is a pro or a con when learning a single wheel (I've never ridden two-wheeled self-balancing devices), it might help with basic balance, but I think the control "mechanism"/physics are a bit different...

3 hours ago, esaj said:

Given enough time and practice, it will come to you. Then you'll be weaving through crowds at crawl-speeds, curving and slaloming with ease, as well as riding long straights near full speed without even needing to think about it, you "just do it". Although, I'd recommend to avoid crowded places until you've learned good control of the wheel, but it will "click" at one point... when that happens, no-one knows, some people learn in a few hours, for others it might take weeks or months (of course also depending on how often you practice).

Don't know if having a MiniPro is a pro or a con when learning a single wheel (I've never ridden two-wheeled self-balancing devices), it might help with basic balance, but I think the control "mechanism"/physics are a bit different...

Yes the balance on the Minipro is pretty much a no brainer and nothing close to what I need to do on the EUC.  I look forward to the day I can ride the EUC like a bike.

2 hours ago, Cheburashka said:

Speaking of double sided tape on battery, are you really supposed to use that? Mine also has it and it also is not glued in any way..

Yea I don't know but to me it made sense to have it stuck in place instead of shifting around, even slightly.  It's a heavy pack so I imagine it could easily amplify side to side wobble if it moves.

12 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I am transitioning from the NB1 to the V5F +

@Rehab1 as you may be one of the first to go from NB1 to V5F+, it would be interesting to read your experiences.  Do you ride any dirt or gravel bike paths on the Ninebot?

Bought a ninebot one ?Things to do before riding.

Oké,

I think I now have somewhere found the courage to get rid of the grass.

Today I set me three protections and purchased a helmet.

Ready to come on the road.

Someone who can give me more advice?

1 hour ago, dragonfly said:

Oké,

@dragonfly You might imbibe some courage, and even sleep on it (it is now almost 1am)

26 minutes ago, dragonfly said:

Oké,

@dragonfly take your time and ride sidewalks and bike trails first.  That way you have grass on both sides and if you feel like you are about to fall, you can aim for the grass and having the softer grass on both sides gives you more confidence.

15 hours ago, dragonfly said:

Oké,

@dragonfly You might imbibe some courage, and even sleep on it (it is now almost 1am)

Most of the precautions are common sense and are mentioned many times in various threads, such as knee, elbow, and wrist pads, plus helmet, which you already have. I also recommended ankle supports in a previous posts. Yes, they really help, especially if you have older, weak, or slender ankles. Selecting a paved practise area  with plenty of room and no traffic is important. You may need to transport the ninebot to the practise area, so a trolley set-up may be helpful (see my other previous post). Also, as tempting as it is to listen to music, I would eliminate all distractions until you are competent and experienced. I also found it useful to have a training schedule of sorts: focussing on one particular skill set at a time, e.g., mounting from a standstill, wide turns, pivots, etc.

Ik ben vandaag op een punt gekomen waar ik het wil opgeven omdat het amai zo lastig is , ook al zou ik zo heel graag doorgaan  , want  dat wil ik zo heel erg graag, ik hoop op steun , maar ik denk dat ik het op mijn eigen zal moeten doen , ik hoop er echt te geraken , 'k weet dat de rest van de wereld er niks van begrijpt van wat ik nu schrijf , 'k zal het op mijn eigen moeten doen , maar toch!  

1 hour ago, dragonfly said:

Ik ben vandaag op een punt gekomen waar ik het wil opgeven omdat het amai zo lastig is , ook al zou ik zo heel graag doorgaan  , want  dat wil ik zo heel erg graag, ik hoop op steun , maar ik denk dat ik het op mijn eigen zal moeten doen , ik hoop er echt te geraken , 'k weet dat de rest van de wereld er niks van begrijpt van wat ik nu schrijf , 'k zal het op mijn eigen moeten doen , maar toch!  

Google say:

Today I come to a point where I want to give up because gosh is so difficult, even if I go on like this very much, because I want so very much, I hope for support, but I think I have it on my own will have to do, I really hope to get, "k knows that the rest of the world understands nothing of what I write, 'k will have to do it on my own, but still!

Sorry, ik spreek een beetje Engels en Duits!

You're trying too hard? I began riding in a football field bouncing off a fence with low tyre pressure (2 bar/ 30 psi) and full combat gear, until I was able to go in straight line across the pitch for 10 metres or so after two days' practise. It took another 2-3 days until I could ride 100 metres and attempt wide turns. I finally moved to pavement only after one painful faceplant in the turf and two weeks off. The crash hurt a lot despite full safety gear, but it was a valuable, humbling learning experience nonetheless <_< ).

Just try to realise that many in this forum are no more talented than you, and it's simply a matter of time and patience. I would also recommend riding while sober only :D

Hey ,

I thank everyone for the support I get,

in my small country, we speak 3 languages Dutch, French and German which is hard enough,

when I say something in my mother tongue

is like swearing,

and apparently that translate reasonably google what I say really.

I also do this way to understand what explains this word,

it is not always easy, but this is the only way.

So sorry for my swearing yesterday.

Here in Belgium it is currently in the middle of the night almost morning.

I lie awake just now.

I remember doing day and night.

what I wonder?

I have driven so far on a football field,

and reduces the tension of my band,

Now I'm on the road how much is the right voltage?

10 minutes ago, dragonfly said:

perhaps a bad translation from google,
My question was: what is the correct tire pressure?

Start at 40 psi, ride and see how it goes.  Then, put more air, and ride again.  Then put more air again.  Soon it won't matter how much air is in the tire.  

2 minutes ago, dragonfly said:

@ Steve steve454 thanks for your reply,
I drove on grass, and now on the road,
a friend told me that my band is flat,
I could not really see.

If it is below 20 psi, more air would be better.  

Archived