Bought a Ninebot One? Things to do before riding.

Bwuce Wee

On 28.8.2016 at 0:18 PM, Duf said:

It's funny, when I fell with the GoPro rolling one of my first thoughts was "I got it on film!"  Too bad my thumb hit the button JUST as I slipped off the back.

I haven't seen anyone grip tape a NB1 but it doesn't sound like a bad idea?  For now I will have a new set of parameters for riding if the pedals are wet.

OLlKJGT.jpg

Works nice, does not need much grip tape and is easy to apply...

23 hours ago, Duf said:

Attempted my longest ride to date of over 10 miles.  Found out another thing the NB1 is not good at, long rides.  Once low battery tilt back kicked in it was a mess.  Hoping Santa brings me a Gotway ACM 16 this year. ;)

Driving with the wheel tilted back as you did on your video (and as @SuperSportalready mentioned) is a bad idea and just begging for the wheel to shut off under you. :(

With the stronger wheels you have the chance to drive faster with more safety margin. But if you ignore the warnings/ride tilted back an ACM 16 or whatever other wheel the same will happen to you, you will just fall harder...

Respect the limits of the wheel and get the warnings... (or learn to live with shutoffs :ph34r:)

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 28 August 2016 at 11:52 AM, Duf said:

Attempted my longest ride to date of over 10 miles.  Found out another thing the NB1 is not good at, long rides.  Once low battery tilt back kicked in it was a mess.  Hoping Santa brings me a Gotway ACM 16 this year. ;)

I was inspired to do a 10 mile test ride today and only hit 53% from a full charge. Winds up to 15mph, almost 88F/33C. 180lbs of body weight plus 12lbs of backpack, UPS parcels and charger (just in case). Average speed of 14kph over mixed terrain - mostly sidewalk, some rough, but also made two 15 min stops, plus two 5 min halts.

@ Litewave Great job! Did you have fun? That is the most important part!:D

@SuperSport How do you like the tape? Great job cutting out all of those little areas around the rubber and screws! You have more patience than me:lol:

IMG_3534gif.gif

6 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

@SuperSport How do you like the tape? Great job cutting out all of those little areas around the rubber and screws! You have more patience than me:lol:

I Love the grip tape, but also think I need your grip strips.  My tape is wearing out so needs replacement finally.  Your strips would not wear out.

EDIT:  I pulled off the metal plate, applied the tape, and used an exacto knife to cut around everything.  Not too hard when done that way.

25 minutes ago, litewave said:

I was inspired to do a 10 mile test ride today and only hit 53% from a full charge. Winds up to 15mph, almost 88F/33C. 180lbs of body weight plus 12lbs of backpack, UPS parcels and charger (just in case). Average speed of 14kph over mixed terrain - mostly sidewalk, some rough, but also made two 15 min stops, plus two 5 min halts.

53% after 10 miles?  Did you have the wind at your back?  NineBot ONE?

4 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

@ Litewave Great job! Did you have fun? That is the most important part!:D

Always! I don't really care much about distance and speed whenever I ride, and usually ignore the iPhone app except to check battery.

1 minute ago, SuperSport said:

I Love the grip tape, but also think I need your grip strips.  My tape is wearing out so needs replacement finally.  Your strips would not wear out.

53% after 10 miles?  Did you have the wind at your back?  NineBot ONE?

It was a two-way trip, so the net wind resistance should be more or less nil. So, either the app or board is lying to me, or I am one lucky E+ owner. :P 

1 minute ago, litewave said:

It was a two-way trip, so the net wind resistance should be more or less nil. So, either the app or board is lying to me, or I am one lucky E+ owner. :P 

I'm able to get 17 miles on fairly level ground with no wind, 160ish lbs.  I don't think you'd net zero with the wind, unless it was stronger on your back when going that direction.  That is awesome mileage though.

45 minutes ago, litewave said:

I am quite happy with the battery on my Ninebot S2 as well. Did an 11 mile ride yesterday and came back with the two batteries showing as  54% and 53%, with 10miles remaining range. Was going a little slower than you, between 9-11mph on nearby San Aquino trail which has some up & down grades.

@SuperSport Ah yes...you used it as a template...Perfect. When I find the time I am going to make new aluminum surface plates and get rid of the pieces of rubber beaneth and just use the tape to cover the new plates. The V5F+ pedals are built that way and I love the traction.

Are you talking about loosing your virginity or riding an EUC?  Or loosing your virginity while riding an EUC?  Or riding something entirely different altogether? 

@HunkaHunkaBurningLove Your comments make me laugh Buddy! I am running out of positive reps:D

• 10 months later...

Hey everyone.

I received my new Ninebot One E+ but the charger was broken (it 'banged' in front of my eyes) so I used the wheel anyway as it was already full. Do you think I damaged the battery using it without recharging it before riding it for the first time?

Thanks for your help!

2 hours ago, Bert08 said:

Hey everyone.

I received my new Ninebot One E+ but the charger was broken (it 'banged' in front of my eyes) so I used the wheel anyway as it was already full. Do you think I damaged the battery using it without recharging it before riding it for the first time?

Thanks for your help!

Riding your new wheel without charging it will not hurt the batteries.  They are lithium batteries, and as such do not have a memory like older battery technology.

What do you mean the charger "banged"?  Did it just make a popping noise when you plugged it in, or did it actually burn out?

18 hours ago, SuperSport said:

Riding your new wheel without charging it will not hurt the batteries.  They are lithium batteries, and as such do not have a memory like older battery technology.

What do you mean the charger "banged"?  Did it just make a popping noise when you plugged it in, or did it actually burn out?

Hi SuperSport, thanks for your reply!

Upon connecting it to the power outlet, after a few seconds I heard a 'bang' noise coming from the charger and had a power failure in my house (I don't know if it's the right word for it, but you get the point :P). I restored the circuit breakers and now my charger doesn't light up anymore. No green or red light. And I assume no charging.

I had trouble getting assistance from both the seller and the manufacturer so I ordered a new charger off of eBay and now I'm waiting to receive it!

3 hours ago, Bert08 said:

I had trouble getting assistance from both the seller and the manufacturer so I ordered a new charger off of eBay and now I'm waiting to receive it!

Sorry to hear that.  It does sound like it blew.  I wonder if it was the charger that blew the circuit, or the other way around?  Glad you found a new charger, they used to be harder to find.  You will love the wheel!  Just pay attention  to the beeps and tilt back.  Both are there for your safety, and both are pretty reliable sources of feedback to keep you safe.  It does not seem like you can get hurt very bad at 12 mph, but we have had people break collar bones, wrists, etc, and lots of road rash, even at that speed.  It's faster than you think when you are headed to the ground.

Good luck with the new charger, and enjoy the ride!

Archived