Bought a Ninebot One? Things to do before riding.

Bwuce Wee

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/5/2016 at 8:01 PM, dragonfly said:

@duf   I miss your videos, your progress.

There have been no videos because I didn't get on it last week.  My left ankle was swollen and I had a convention to go to this past weekend so I did not want to be limping around.  The good news is I am back with a roll of foam to wrap around my 9B1 to help protect both it and me.  I hope to get some riding time in today.  My immediate goal is to be able to get off the bot in a simple step off manner instead of awkwardly jumping off while grabbing the wheel with my hands.  When I shoot more video I will post it here. :)

1 hour ago, Duf said:

My immediate goal is to be able to get off the bot in a simple step off manner instead of awkwardly jumping off while grabbing the wheel with my hands.  When I shoot more video I will post it here. :)

My stopping technique, if anyone is interested, is to slow right down (obviously) and at the very last moment shift slightly to one side, as if I was about to turn. 

As soon as starting that, I drop my inside foot to the ground (sideways, not backward), while keeping my other foot on the pedal to balance the unit. 

If there is any remaining momentum (depending how "hot" you come in), the wheel will naturally turn across in front of you as you pivot on your ground foot. 

This way, even if I wasn't quite ready, I keep complete control. And my rotation just looks like a bit of intentional flair...

20 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

My stopping technique, if anyone is interested, is to slow right down (obviously) and at the very last moment shift slightly to one side, as if I was about to turn. 

As soon as starting that, I drop my inside foot to the ground (sideways, not backward), while keeping my other foot on the pedal to balance the unit. 

If there is any remaining momentum (depending how "hot" you come in), the wheel will naturally turn across in front of you as you pivot on your ground foot. 

This way, even if I wasn't quite ready, I keep complete control. And my rotation just looks like a bit of intentional flair...

Yea that was the image I had in my mind when trying to stop last night.  Unfortunately my body wasn't cooperating.  Each time I would try a controlled stop like that the bot would wind up on it's side and I would wind up stumbling off it awkwardly.  The good news is I did about 10 up and backs on the driveway without falling but I got off at each end.  Small radius turns is another item on the EUC skill todo list I have not completed.

3 hours ago, Duf said:

Yea that was the image I had in my mind when trying to stop last night.  Unfortunately my body wasn't cooperating.  Each time I would try a controlled stop like that the bot would wind up on it's side and I would wind up stumbling off it awkwardly.  The good news is I did about 10 up and backs on the driveway without falling but I got off at each end.  Small radius turns is another item on the EUC skill todo list I have not completed.

Starting and stopping are definitely harder than simply riding. 

If your wheel isn't staying under your foot (and stopping), it would probably because it is tilted (and trying to move) and/or because you don't keep enough weight on it. 

You might want to try it in pieces - while stopped, get one foot comfortable on your wheel and the other on the ground (in line with the axle). Shifting your weight onto your wheel, but keeping your foot on the ground, try to pivot around your foot. 

You will most likely start off "hopping" a little, but as you shift more weight to your wheel you should find you can spin quite smoothly several times - your grounded foot being mainly for balance. 

It sounds a bit involved, but it actually is easier to do than to explain. And I found that this helped me understand the mechanics a lot more. 

Once you can do this, stopping is exactly the same - you just slow down and assume the position. :blink:

It can also assist with starting - picture the same action, but in a straight line. Your ground foot will need to move (of course), so you sort off "hop-wheel" along. But try to take longer and longer steps, and then even lift your foot onto the pedal - classic skateboard start competed.

I learned to ride a "proper" unicycle 20 years ago and found the Ninebot quite easy to master. Just getting on and off are slightly difficult but I've only ridden it three times so far and loving it!

I've created a Facebook group called "self balancing electric unicycles UK" if anyone wants to join and share info, or arrange meets etc

20160804_173407.jpg

You are doing FANTASTIC:D  Wow, major major progress from video 1!  Yeah with your legs and the bot, you may need a few more layers of foam padding to get better contact with the inner parts of your legs.  At least with the foam it looks like it's not banging so hard against them hopefully?  Maybe slap a few more layers on.  It actually feels very nice to have the foam there so you can sort of pinch the wheel in between while learning.  I should have done that from day one, but I did it fairly soon after and I don't regret it one bit.  After you get the hang of riding, you can remove it and your bot will be a little less scratched up too.  I wonder if in your case whether shin protectors would be beneficial as I've seen some people use those.  I never did, but that's another option.  Maybe use the included foam strips from the Ninebot to layer it out towards your legs?  Or maybe an old pool noodle?  I've seen people cut sections off and use a belt to secure it around their wheels.  Two on top of each other on both sides might work in your case like in this video.  Maybe use some bungey cords instead of belts?

You're doing wonderful with the launches.  With the stopping, I tend to brake and slow until I pretty well stop and try to figure out which way I'm going to tilt to move that side's foot off.  You can also come to a full stop and time it to add a lean to the side to step off.  The important thing is to have the bot stop your forward momentum so it's just a simple tip over sideways.  You then do have to maintain the stop with your other foot on the pedal so it is level to prevent the bot from moving forwards or backwards.  I learned that while dismounting hoverboards.  If you keep the pedal level it keeps the bot stationary.  Try coming to a full stop so you stall and tip over to one side with no forward momentum and see how that works out.  If the bot is still rolling forwards you haven't come to a complete stop which will make it harder.  It's like getting off a bike.  Do you hit the brakes and step off while the bike is still moving a little forwards?

Maybe practice more the basics where you stand with one foot on the bot and one foot off.  Control the bot by rolling one foot forwards and backwards to get the feel.  Once you are able to control it better with one foot that should help with dismounts I think.  Probably the big issue is that with the slight bow of your lower leg you aren't making as good of a contact to brace the bot against so that is making things harder.  Try to arrange the foam or pool noodles to get some contact and then work on it a bit more...

16 hours ago, Juggler said:

I learned to ride a "proper" unicycle 20 years ago and found the Ninebot quite easy to master. Just getting on and off are slightly difficult but I've only ridden it three times so far and loving it!

I've created a Facebook group called "self balancing electric unicycles UK" if anyone wants to join and share info, or arrange meets etc

I saw your post on Facebook, but the group doesn't come up in the search. 
Have you got a direct link?

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I saw your post on Facebook, but the group doesn't come up in the search. 
Have you got a direct link?

Hi Scully, how do I get a direct link to the group? Did you search for "Self balancing electric unicycles UK"?

31 minutes ago, Juggler said:

Hi Scully, how do I get a direct link to the group? Did you search for "Self balancing electric unicycles UK"?

Just open the group page from a pc, copy the url from the web address and paste it here

2 hours ago, Juggler said:

Second day riding the Ninebot

Two days and you are riding around with other people and a selfie stick?? Wow, picking it up way faster than me. Do you have any prior EUC experience?

21 minutes ago, Duf said:

Two days and you are riding around with other people and a selfie stick?? Wow, picking it up way faster than me. Do you have any prior EUC experience?

Don't worry @Duf - it is @Juggler who is the odd one out  (not us).

He has old-school UC experience. And most people who can ride the manual version pick up EUC very fast. 

Just now, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Don't worry @Duf - it is @Juggler who is the odd one out  (not us).

He has old-school UC experience. And most people who can ride the manual version pick up EUC very fast. 

Ah ok that explains it.  I have no prior circus experience, although I can juggle a bit. :)

4 hours ago, Duf said:

Yep, I've ridden unicycles for 20 odd years so I guess the electric one ought to be easier, and sure enough it is!

BsZFX-ryW4E

Day three in the park

Archived