Bought a Ninebot One? Things to do before riding.

Bwuce Wee

Meanwhile i've had my NB1 E for a while, here are some more tips thanks to the community and own experience, i also noticed this page is quite highly googled so i better keep it updated;

-Charge battery: Red light for effective charging, green light for completed charging or idle with power on.
-Place protection foam stickers, (protect the Ninebot One but also your legs in the beginning), do consider though that you might want to remove it in the future and it's not that easy :)
-Inflate tyres (works at most gas stations without any valve extension) (CST Cheng Shin Tire) says 40-50psi/2.8-3.5bar - just aim for the middle and enjoy your new wheel ... and dont press too long on the + button.
-Apply grip tape (helps for some, depending on shoes used)
-install app, check speed limiter (with speed limiter enabled u're only going like 12km/h for example)-update firmware?   I try to wait a week or 2 before updating to latest firmware because i've had a really bad experience with 1 particular update, which got replaced less than a week after
-wear protection, use lights etc;  this is for your own sake but imho it's important for several reasons, at this moment we are pioneers, in most countries the laws regarding these means of transportation are still being written.  this puts a big responsibility on our shoulders; if we fool around and cause accidents and make it to the news, it will greatly impact the rest of us worldwide, if we get a bad reputation because we drive carelessly on the sidewalk, people will hate us.  Let's all be gentlemen and ride smart.
-accessorize* (if you wish:P);
*get a generic EUC-stand, these are cheap and allow you to display your EUC better without letting it lean against the wall in a corner or something
*get a trolley handle with mount, i don't have this (yet) but it allows your Ninebot One to stand without leaning against the wall, also lets you maneuver through crowded areas easier

Keep on rollin'!

Bwuce

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- griptape, depending on your shoes ;)

- a short trip to the next gasstation to pump up the tires.

- and get some protection gear for yourself too

how easy is it to pump the tires with standard valve?  i got a bicycle pump at home  http://escdn.nl/images/resized/157384:163:281:contain.jpg

are the other things necessary? the app, charging first(or are they somewhat precharged?)

firmware upgrade?

etc :)

First of all, protections. A bicycle helmet or something like that, and skate protections, at least for your wrists.

The extension valve is a must buy. Without it, you must dismount led rings, and probably external shell too.

I did not see grip tape necessary. The ninebot feet support rubber is very good.

charging first(or are they somewhat precharged?

etc :)

You should always fully charge any wheel just before riding as full batteries make all eucs more reliable and safer.

The one and only exception to ths is if you are on top of a long steep hill and have to start off by going down it. Personally I still fully charge but spend a few minutes riding in circles before i head down the hill. 

Thanks for the replies, i'll add it.

- regarding inflating the tyres, is it that hard without the valve extension? i'd still have to find one or order one.  What average pressure? 45psi?

- Any info on the firmware update? is it hard? necessary?  Did it work on android for anyone?

-

thanks

Bwuce

Thanks for the replies, i'll add it.

- regarding inflating the tyres, is it that hard without the valve extension? i'd still have to find one or order one.  What average pressure? 45psi?

- Any info on the firmware update? is it hard? necessary?  Did it work on android for anyone?

The firmware update is a piece of cake. You push a couple of buttons on the App and thats it.

Inflating the tyres on the other hand, really is a hassle. Even with the extender it is difficult. For me, personally, it is the only design flaw in this euc. That is to put it politely. You can have a look here:

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/678-pls-recommend-a-specific-bike-pump-or-adapter-that-works-for-the-ninebot-one/

I prefer a pressure of 50 psi, because with 80kg I am more on the heavy side and it gives me more leeway before I have to inflate the tyre again.

in Austria (probably GER/CH too) we have these models at every Gasstation.

Luftdruck-messen-290-260x161.thumb.jpg.0

they fit perfectly WITHOUT valve extension or opening the led ring. with a bit of training you can get your pitstops times down to F1 levels ;) ...  for the right psi just look at the outside of your tire. my e+ tire (CST Cheng Shin Tire) says 40-50psi/2.8-3.5bar - just aim for the middle and enjoy your new wheel ... and dont press too long on the + button :)

To learn, it will be easier to begin with less pressure. May be 30 psi or less depending on you weight.

Later you can use 45 or more, so the probability of a puncture will be lower, and you will find easier to turn.

About the firmware update, I updated before to use it. But it is up tu you. I think that in the last updates there are not any important changes.

not at all. you just need to lock your wheel and press upgrade. keep your wheel still and let the app do the upgrade for some 15-30 seconds until its done.

and just in the case you havent read the other ninebot threads, better keep the riding mode on the lower, stiffer side like 0 to 4, and avoid the higher, softer modes, as they seem to be dangerous atm.

you may think about using a bluetooth password too. Its a pain in the a** to put in the 6digit - code everytime you want to connect your wheel BUT anyone who knows a bit about ninebot and installs the ninedroid app could in theory log into your bot (if e.g. you leave it on at the bar/icecream shop/....) its not very likely to happen atm but as the ninebot ones are really selling like crazy nowadays, there could be assholes around locking you out. (if you have a jailbroken iphone you can use tweaks like "itouch secure" or "touchID everywhere" to connect your wheel way faster with your touch id sensor)

My wife wants to see me fall, i swear she does :)

About the bluetooth, i find that bad news honestly, i didn't plan on bringing my phone all the time :(

You don't have to bring your phone.  It works just fine without the phone.  

Hi
Today I didn't have time to practice due to work, busy day as every Monday, but yesterday I practice to get in/get off EUC by myself without any help, amazing, at first I was afraid to fall but is much easier than it looks.

I was able to ride some metters, but without any control, I didn't decide direction EUC did it for me...

I just got a bruise on my ankle due to a hit with the pedal and that's all

I presume tomorrow will be much better

ROTATOR I bought my wheel on Mediamarkt as well

Regarding age of riders I'm 37, I show a man on my city using it aroung 60 years and we did it really well, so I hope to get required skills for ride it properly

I bought the handle coz I want to combine it with public transport

Ok,

So after about 30 minutes of trying to get on the thing and balancing for more than 5 metres, i'm a pro :)  Not really but hey, without bluffing, i just rode a whole km without having to step off once, this is on bicycle and pedestrian roads, i've practiced slaloming around obstacles, get on and off low sidewalks (gonna try to jump next week), brake relatively fast (probably wouldn't brake this well with my crappy bicycle)   I've also hit 20km/h a few times but when i was looking at my smartphone it always distracted me a bit so i started braking.

It did get wobbly sometimes when riding at higher speed say 16km/h or more, which scared me.  Usually i tightened all my muscles some more holding the wheel as steady as possible.

My feet, especially my left, is a bit sore, i might try some working shoes, protected ones in the future, with really hard soles.

My back, is really sore, i suffer from a minor hernia and it's kind of hurting me now but that's a good thing; it means my core muscles are REALLY being used hard doing this and that's a good thing for people with hernia's, makes them rely less on their spine.

All in all, amazing first 2 hours of Ninebot :)   i'm going to recommend this to everyone. 

Bwuce Wee

I might as well post here that my Day 1 of training didn't go as well as I had hoped, but better than expected.  It was really hot (98 degrees F) so I didn't get to practice as much as I would have liked.  I think I know what my main problem is so maybe that will make it easier to correct.  I think I should have made me a wooden foot teeter-totter to practice on.  I still might. 

More practice tomorrow.

@dpong @bleu9mm Sorry guys, i'm only 35 though and i've tried snowboarding, rollerblading, bmx, tried one of those snakeboards and had a wii balance board when i was younger.  Not that i was a professional or anything but learning those things means i'm a bit more used to learning new stuff i guess.

I also did a whole week of research online, video's, including yours, looking for tips etc, so "in theory" i already had a good idea of how it would work :)  Thanks for that!

It is also important for especially you 2 to know how much your testimonials meant, it helped me decide to buy one.  I'm sure u can see many video's of teenagers doing all kinds of tricks on it, but to see adults without any experience ride a wheel and explain what had gone through them, is way more valuable to many people.

Regarding inflating the tyre, it was actually really easy, i went to the gas station and did it, i didn't even have to remove a cover or anything.

Bwuce

I've done a lot of sports/hobbies in my life.  But not a snakeboard or WII balance board.  But I am also older now. 

I'm pretty sure my problem was my instinct was backwards.

I hate to say it, and it will probably make me sound stupid to some,  but basically I think my mistake was that when I would start to lean to the left my instinct was to push harder with my left as if to push myself up straight.  I'm trying to think of what in my life is like that.  Maybe walking on an a slanted surface and you start to fall to the downhill side.

I watched several training videos too.  But I didn't have some of the things as my disposal. 

I am sure I will get it soon.  (But I do fear "What if I never do?".)  But then I tell myself I've only tried it one day.

I've done a lot of sports/hobbies in my life.  But not a snakeboard or WII balance board.  But I am also older now. 

I'm pretty sure my problem was my instinct was backwards.

I hate to say it, and it will probably make me sound stupid to some,  but basically I think my mistake was that when I would start to lean to the left my instinct was to push harder with my left as if to push myself up straight.  I'm trying to think of what in my life is like that.  Maybe walking on an a slanted surface and you start to fall to the downhill side.

I watched several training videos too.  But I didn't have some of the things as my disposal. 

I am sure I will get it soon.  (But I do fear "What if I never do?".)  But then I tell myself I've only tried it one day.

Before I received my wheel, I watched video of a guy trying to ride the first time.  He was awful.  I sniggered and laughed, and I knew that I would be better than that guy.  

Nope.  :)

Archived