My Monster has been retired from off-road riding

Marty Backe

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

OoooOOoooh I just thought of a brilliant new movie franchise!  

ced19404b4.jpg

Great job Hunka! That took some time!  @Marty Backe how does your head feel after that Photoshop decapitation?

49 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

ced19404b4.jpg

PG?  Shouldn't it be at least PG13 ? ;)  I am envious of your computer skills, you always come up with something great!

No worries... we'll release a straight to DVD / streaming version that's R rated!  :w00t2: Actually it took like maybe a couple of minutes to put that together.  I used an old copy of Photoshop and lasso cut and paste.  The text was tricky, but there is surprisingly a Back to the Future Font generator online which helped!  :blink:

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

FYI, once you get used to it the Monster is actually pretty easy to ride backwards. One tip, keep the Mode setting to Sport, otherwise the reversals are much harder in the softer modes.

I've been experimenting with the softer modes with the Monster. For street riding the middle mode seems really comfortable. Kind of makes the Monster feel like it has some shock absorbers. YMMV. 

I will be interesting to see what you think of it's hill climbing ability in the middle mode sometime.

Allen

20 hours ago, jrkline said:

The sweet spot wheel is the ACM.It has a 1500w motor and a 16in.wheel.The monster has a 1600w motor but loses most of that advantage due to the 22in.wheel.The monster is best suited for long range road trips but lacks the ACM's acceleration,manueverability and and hill climbing prowess.The major advantage the monster has is range,if you have the 2400wh battery.Which is why I created the "world famous ACM2040TM" which has monster range in the sweet spot ACM size.:D

The Gotway ACM wheel has caught my attention.   I love my V8; in many respects it is the perfect wheel for me in Chicago, since our "trails" are all paved bike paths, and we have 100s of miles of them.  The ACM is also 16" and I would be comfortable with that, but a lot heavier.  I'm hoping it would have the advantages of the V8 along with twice the torque and more weight to stabilize it on gravel and roots.  I've not ridden the 22" appropriately named "Monster" so have no idea how much smoother the big 70lbs wheel would be.  The V8 still trumps everything else as being the most well thought out.  The wheel cutoff button in the handle is brilliant and useful, and the trolley handle, which I pull out whenever I dismount, is useful as well.  I would have a hard time switching without those two features in a new wheel.   Maybe the "ideal" would be @jrkline's 2400Wh battery on an Inmotion V8 (wouldn't that be a thought).

1 hour ago, abinder3 said:

I will be interesting to see what you think of it's hill climbing ability in the middle mode sometime.

Allen

I'm taking the Monster to Griffith Park tomorrow. After our main ride (using my ACM) I want to test the Monster on that first very steep trail in the different modes to see if it does make a difference.

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

ced19404b4.jpg

You guys are  killing me with all the comments on @Hunka Hunka Burning Love's post. Unfortunately I'm at work and whatever evil server holds @Hunka Hunka Burning Love's images are blocked by my companies firewall. I'll have to wait a few hours to see what his twisted mind has conjured up ;)

21 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Don't worry Marty.... you're not entirely naked in that photo.  :whistling::innocent1:  I'm all about the PG-13 after all!

@Marty Backe Hunka put a lot of serious thought into your photo!

59 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm taking the Monster to Griffith Park tomorrow. After our main ride (using my ACM) I want to test the Monster on that first very steep trail in the different modes to see if it does make a difference.

I look forward to hearing if it does make a difference.

Allen

1 hour ago, Chris Westland said:

The Gotway ACM wheel has caught my attention.   I love my V8; in many respects it is the perfect wheel for me in Chicago, since our "trails" are all paved bike paths, and we have 100s of miles of them.  The ACM is also 16" and I would be comfortable with that, but a lot heavier.  I'm hoping it would have the advantages of the V8 along with twice the torque and more weight to stabilize it on gravel and roots.  I've not ridden the 22" appropriately named "Monster" so have no idea how much smoother the big 70lbs wheel would be.  The V8 still trumps everything else as being the most well thought out.  The wheel cutoff button in the handle is brilliant and useful, and the trolley handle, which I pull out whenever I dismount, is useful as well.  I would have a hard time switching without those two features in a new wheel.   Maybe the "ideal" would be @jrkline's 2400Wh battery on an Inmotion V8 (wouldn't that be a thought).

I'm wondering though if the KS16S that's just starting to appear places may actually outperform the V8.  If Inmotion had just given the V8 a battery at least 2 times the size it has now, I think that it would be an even more popular wheel; at least with those of us that are >190lbs.  The wheel cutoff switch is nice indeed.

Allen

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

One of these days I am going to fly out there so I can ride with you guys! I'll just ship out the wheel ( probably the ACM) first. 

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

One of these days I am going to fly out there so I can ride with you guys! I'll just ship out the wheel ( probably the ACM) first. 

Seriously, if you do ever visit I'll loan you any one of my wheels for a nice mountain ride. They've all been battle tested so you should feel safe riding them, but then again you do seem a bit picky when it comes to safety ;)

On 5/3/2017 at 11:21 PM, abinder3 said:

It definitely sounds like a great wheel for the bike paths here at the beach. 

I think one time you told me that the wind at the beach doesn't seem to have that much affect on it when riding at the beach.  That's definitely a good thing since it can get windy in the afternoons at the beach. 

Allen

One of my favorite things about the beach.

On 5/5/2017 at 2:09 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

ced19404b4.jpg

I finally was able to see this picture. Words escape me @Hunka Hunka Burning Love. This is fantastic :clap3::cheers:  It put a real big smile on my face, and I had a good laugh too. Whether I have your permission or not, I'm keeping this :D

Thanks man!:thumbup:

22 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:huh: Ah okay... it will be placed on my short list.  :D

That was great, I got a good laugh at that one, thanks again I loved it!  Not literally, of course:o  But I do like Flo^_^:wub:

On 5/6/2017 at 9:28 AM, abinder3 said:

I'm wondering though if the KS16S that's just starting to appear places may actually outperform the V8.  If Inmotion had just given the V8 a battery at least 2 times the size it has now, I think that it would be an even more popular wheel; at least with those of us that are >190lbs.  The wheel cutoff switch is nice indeed.

Allen

Another option as well ... 

Archived