My Monster has been retired from off-road riding

Marty Backe

I finally got around to fixing the broken handle section of my Monster's shell, unsuccessfully.

When I had dropped the wheel a month ago the shell separated at the handle area. Turns out one of the screw heads snapped off and the remaining screw was pulled partially out of its receptacle. Another screw was loose because the internal structure that it was screwed into had snapped. It would be a major effort to fix this 'like new', and what's the point if it'll break again next time I drop it. So Gaffers Tape to the rescue. Doesn't look pretty, but my Monster is scratch and dinged to hell anyway.

Gotway did not scale this design properly when they designed its construction. Very fragile internal structures and the same crappy screws that they are known for.

So I've determined that its off-road days are behind it. When possible I'm going to avoid riding it anywhere that I can crash it. It's now a road machine and mellow trail rider. I'm OK with that because I can use my ACM for the really rough stuff and the MSuper V3 for the semi-rough stuff.

I know my fellow Monster riders can attest to the fragile nature of the Monster. And for those of you who will be future Monster riders, be forewarned.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I finally got around to fixing the broken handle section of my Monster's shell, unsuccessfully.

When I had dropped the wheel a month ago the shell separated at the handle area. Turns out one of the screw heads snapped off and the remaining screw was pulled partially out of its receptacle. Another screw was loose because the internal structure that it was screwed into had snapped. It would be a major effort to fix this 'like new', and what's the point if it'll break again next time I drop it. So Gaffers Tape to the rescue. Doesn't look pretty, but my Monster is scratch and dinged to hell anyway.

Gotway did not scale this design properly when they designed it's construction. Very fragile internal structures and the same crappy screws that they are known for.

So I've determine that it's off-road days are behind it. When possible I'm going to avoid riding it anywhere that I can crash it. It's now a road machine and mellow trail rider. I'm OK with that because I can use my ACM for the really rough stuff and the MSuper V3 for the semi-rough stuff.

I know my fellow Monster riders can attest to the fragile nature of the Monster. And for those of you who will be future Monster riders, be forewarned.

Probably a blessing in disguise.You of all people know how hard Monster hill climbing is.;)And it still is a great long distance road machine.:) The ACM is THE off-road machine.

8 minutes ago, jrkline said:

Probably a blessing in disguise.You of all people no how hard Monster hill climbing is.;)And it still is a great long distance road machine.:) The ACM is the off-road machine.

I'm wishing I had an ACMs+, 16" 1600wh instead of my V8.  The V8 just doesn't have enough range for me and I haven't ridden it since I got the KS18. 

Allen

Maybe think of it as a fine Cadillac meant for comfortable long distance cruising and touring whereas the lighter ACM is more like a Jeep utility vehicle that's capable on and off road.  

The Caddy might okay for some off road usage if set in a softer ride mode, but maybe not for hardcore mountain climbing especially over sections where you have to carry it.  It's likely too heavy to lug around from a practical standpoint.  The bigger wheel might make it capable like a mountain bike,  but imagine if a mountain bike weighed a ton... it would just limit it's versatility over tough terrain.  Even with a motorcycle like a sportbike you likely wouldn't try riding them through a mountainous trail, but a lighter trail bike sure why not?

That's really valuable to know, Marty.  I've been pretty sold on the KS18 for a while now, but was still considering the Monster.  If it's fragile, though ... that's a big negative and a very useful one to know.

I'm surprised to find it out, too.  I've been thinking of you as THE monster guy ... and now it sounds like it's going to ease it's way out of top spot in your rotation, since I always see you talking about and videoing trail rides.

55 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Gotway did not scale this design properly when they designed it's construction. Very fragile internal structures and the same crappy screws that they are known for.

So I've determine that it's off-road days are behind it. When possible I'm going to avoid riding it anywhere that I can crash it. It's now a road machine and mellow trail rider. I'm OK with that because I can use my ACM for the really rough stuff and the MSuper V3 for the semi-rough stuff.

I can confirm that the handle is the Monster's weak spot! As you have read, only on my second ride mine dropped at low speed yet because the wheel span up it flipped it and damaged it to the point that the screws on the right hand side are useless. Either the bit they screw into has snapped off or the head has been pulled through/snapped and is stuck. Also the whole top panel popped out on me. Luckily Ian will have some stock in soon and once he finishes the 1000 mile ride I'll be able to replace my case.
Gotway seriously needs to look into the top part of the Monster, use better screws and strengthen where they screw into. Also the top panel pops out too easily.

21 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe think of it as a fine Cadillac meant for comfortable long distance cruising and touring whereas the lighter ACM is more like a Jeep utility vehicle that's capable on and off road.  

The Caddy might okay for some off road usage if set in a softer ride mode, but maybe not for hardcore mountain climbing especially over sections where you have to carry it.  It's likely too heavy to lug around from a practical standpoint.  The bigger wheel might make it capable like a mountain bike,  but imagine if a mountain bike weighed a ton... it would just limit it's versatility over tough terrain.  Even with a motorcycle like a sportbike you likely wouldn't try riding them through a mountainous trail, but a lighter trail bike sure why not?

The Monster has been referred to, by myself also, as the Bentley of the EUC world. More of a luxurious ride than for off road due it's sheer weight more than anything. It's almost 30kg. Luckily it is quite tall so I don't have to lean too much to push it along and with the seat on it's a little easier.

1 hour ago, abinder3 said:

So I guess this means that will probably be riding your ACM at Griffith Park this Saturday and not your Monster ?

Allen

Or MSuper. I may still ride the Monster at Griffith Park since most of those trails fall under the category of 'mellow'.

1 hour ago, abinder3 said:

I'm wishing I had an ACMs+, 16" 1600wh instead of my V8.  The V8 just doesn't have enough range for me and I haven't ridden it since I got the KS18. 

Allen

Have you considered selling it? I'm contemplating buying a V8 for around town usage and giving shows at night. I may look for a used one. Not sure right now and I don't have immediate plans, but I might be interested if you sells yours.

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I took it out for a ride around town this early evening and it's a pleasant ride. It's not like I'd still don't love riding it, but I shouldn't be rough with it any more.

Actually today I changed the mode  from "Sport" and placed it in the middle soft mode. So in a way it reminds of a large Caddy that needs some new springs. Very comfy :)

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Have you considered selling it? I'm contemplating buying a V8 for around town usage and giving shows at night. I may look for a used one. Not sure right now and I don't have immediate plans, but I might be interested if you sells yours.

That's a possibility for sure. 

Allen

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Or MSuper. I may still ride the Monster at Griffith Park since most of those trails fall under the category of 'mellow'.

That steep dirt hill by the parking would probably the biggest challenge on that ride.  Was @captainwells the one that took his Monster up that hill the last time we rode at Griffith Park and said it needed to be coaxed up the hill ?

Allen

1 hour ago, Dingfelder said:

That's really valuable to know, Marty.  I've been pretty sold on the KS18 for a while now, but was still considering the Monster.  If it's fragile, though ... that's a big negative and a very useful one to know.

I'm surprised to find it out, too.  I've been thinking of you as THE monster guy ... and now it sounds like it's going to ease it's way out of top spot in your rotation, since I always see you talking about and videoing trail rides.

I don't think the Monster was ever in my Top spot. I still love riding it and will continue to do so. I'm not retiring it from service, just from the front line ;)  The Monster is a great wheel and still (IMHO) the best road wheel ever made. Super fast and comfortable. But I have to fully acknowledge that it's not constructed to handle falls which are going to happen when you ride rough trails.

I rode a couple hundred miles with it and there were zero scratches. It does not have a tendency to fall or crash. It's only when I started riding rough trails that it started getting abuse.

So please continue to consider the Monster for your purchase. Everyone who has bought one loves it. Just don't take it on tough trails where you may crash.

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't think the Monster was ever in my Top spot. I still love riding it and will continue to do so. I'm not retiring it from service, just from the front line ;)  The Monster is a great wheel and still (IMHO) the best road wheel ever made. Super fast and comfortable. But I have to fully acknowledge that it's not constructed to handle falls which are going to happen when you ride rough trails.

I rode a couple hundred miles with it and there were zero scratches. It does not have a tendency to fall or crash. It's only when I started riding rough trails that it started getting abuse.

So please continue to consider the Monster for your purchase. Everyone who has bought one loves it. Just don't take it on tough trails where you may crash.

It definitely sounds like a great wheel for the bike paths here at the beach. 

I think one time you told me that the wind at the beach doesn't seem to have that much affect on it when riding at the beach.  That's definitely a good thing since it can get windy in the afternoons at the beach. 

Allen

1 minute ago, abinder3 said:

That steep dirt hill by the parking would probably the biggest challenge on that ride.  Was @captainwells the one that took his Monster up that hill the last time we rode at Griffith Park and said it needed to be coaxed up the hill ?

Allen

Yes he did. But I did too. A few weeks before we rode as a group I took the Monster up that path, to the Water Tank, etc. Griffith Park is my testing ground for new wheels. The Monster handles it well. Although there are some steeps sections, the trails are in good condition and none of the steep areas last for very long.

It definitely sounds like a great wheel for the bike paths here at the beach. 

I think one time you told me that the wind at the beach doesn't seem to have that much affect on it when riding at the beach.  That's definitely a good thing since it can get windy in the afternoons at the beach. 

Allen

Yes, exactly. The Monster is great on the beach trails. Wind really does not affect it like any of my other wheels.

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, exactly. The Monster is great on the beach trails. Wind really does not affect it like any of my other wheels.

I really like the ability that it has to go through fairly deep sand that can sometimes be blown across the bike path at the beach.  My KS18 can go through some sand but if it gets too deep, it slides out from under me like the last time it did on the same Saturday you had a pretty bad fall on one of your wheels.  ( my leg is still swollen some from that.)

Allen

1 hour ago, TremF said:

I can confirm that the handle is the Monster's weak spot! As you have read, only on my second ride mine dropped at low speed yet because the wheel span up it flipped it and damaged it to the point that the screws on the right hand side are useless. Either the bit they screw into has snapped off or the head has been pulled through/snapped and is stuck. Also the whole top panel popped out on me. Luckily Ian will have some stock in soon and once he finishes the 1000 mile ride I'll be able to replace my case.
Gotway seriously needs to look into the top part of the Monster, use better screws and strengthen where they screw into. Also the top panel pops out too easily.

The Monster has been referred to, by myself also, as the Bentley of the EUC world. More of a luxurious ride than for off road due it's sheer weight more than anything. It's almost 30kg. Luckily it is quite tall so I don't have to lean too much to push it along and with the seat on it's a little easier.

Your description is very much like mine, although you sustained a bit more serious damage,

A Bentley is a good description. With that tire it just looked like a great off-road wheel so I gave it a go.

Add to the many already established Gotway wishes, is that they make their wheels more hardened in the future.

I really like the ability that it has to go through fairly deep sand that can sometimes be blown across the bike path at the beach.  My KS18 can go through some sand but if it gets too deep, it slides out from under me like the last time it did on the same Saturday you had a pretty bad fall on one of your wheels.  ( my leg is still swollen some from that.)

Allen

Sand is treacherous and always makes me nervous when I have to ride through it on the beach trails. I haven't fallen yet (knock on plastic). But the few times I've ridden the Monster through some deep patches it was very steady.

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

So have you ordered a new shell? I checked on both Speedyfeet and Ewheels sites and no replacement Monster shells were listed. eBay carries the motor but no shells either.

7 hours ago, abinder3 said:

That's a possibility for sure. 

Allen

I would possibly be interested as well if Marty backs out. I have the need for more speed and range, and I refuse to buy anything Gotway touched. Don't troll me guys, that is my opinion after my MSuper blew the control board in a very minor incident when it was 10 days old, followed by all the horror stories on here of crappy engineering. Gotway needs to stop making "bigger and faster" the only goal. If they ever become known for quality engineering, I will give them another look. 

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

So have you ordered a new shell? I checked on both Speedyfeet and Ewheels sites and no replacement Monster shells were listed. eBay carries the motor but no shells either.

No I haven't and won't. Speedyfeet sells them (@TremF bought one).

It's not that important to me. The problem area is isolated to the handle region and the Gaffers Tape is working fine to hold things tight.

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Got any photos of the damaged areas?

No. It's not like the shell has cracked into pieces. It's separated in the handle region and the plastic insert that holds the power buttons, back LEDs, etc popped out and is loose. But from 10 feet away you don't notice anything, except now you see the tape.

Archived