My Monster has been retired from off-road riding

Marty Backe

27 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

maybe the Monster V2 will fix some of the issues or maybe, just maybe Monster 100V one, hmmm...

Somehow I doubt that Gotway will change the shell design, but hey, maybe they'll surprise me. That's my only complaint with the Monster. If you don't ride mountain trails it's still the perfect road machine.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

So have you ordered a new shell? I checked on both Speedyfeet and Ewheels sites and no replacement Monster shells were listed. eBay carries the motor but no shells either.

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

No I haven't and won't. Speedyfeet sells them (@TremF bought one).

It's not that important to me. The problem area is isolated to the handle region and the Gaffers Tape is working fine to hold things tight.

SpeedyFeet doesn't have the shell, and other parts, in stock just yet but they have them set up on the site ready for when stock is in. He ordered them as soon as I mentioned I wanted a new one.

It's too awkward, in the handle area, to get in to do repairs so I'd rather replace the case as I only have one small screw and a couple of cable ties holding the right side.

16 minutes ago, TremF said:

SpeedyFeet doesn't have the shell, and other parts, in stock just yet but they have them set up on the site ready for when stock is in. He ordered them as soon as I mentioned I wanted a new one.

It is getting hard to obtain parts from Gotway. @Jason McNeil just informed me that the motor for my ACM 1600 is now on back order. He was first told they had them in stock.  SpeedyFeet does not have the motors either.:(

4 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

It is getting hard to obtain parts from Gotway. @Jason McNeil just informed me that the motor for my ACM 1600 is now back order. He was first told they had them in stock.  SpeedyFeet does not have the motors either.:(

Initially Ian was told he could possibly only get a purple shell, for the Monster, but they then came back with all 3 colours and they are on the way to him with his next order along with parts to replace the lighting covers and top panel. I'm not sure how the leg side pads are attached so might order a set of those too. Unfortunately he's currently doing the 1000 mile ride for Barnado's so I may have to wait depending on when they arrive and when he's recovered :) 

12 minutes ago, TremF said:

Initially Ian was told he could possibly only get a purple shell, for the Monster, but they then came back with all 3 colours and they are on the way to him with his next order along with parts to replace the lighting covers and top panel. I'm not sure how the leg side pads are attached so might order a set of those too. Unfortunately he's currently doing the 1000 mile ride for Barnado's so I may have to wait depending on when they arrive and when he's recovered :) 

The leg pads are attached with double sided tape. They are easy to peel off based on my personal experience.

22 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

It is getting hard to obtain parts from Gotway. @Jason McNeil just informed me that the motor for my ACM 1600 is now on back order. He was first told they had them in stock.  SpeedyFeet does not have the motors either.:(

Wow, that's too bad :crying: I sure hope you get to ride your ACM this summer.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Wow, that's too bad :crying: I sure hope you get to ride your ACM this summer.

I hope so!! I may have an inside track:ph34r: I will know more in the next 2 days.

9 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Maybe they sent the motors all back to the factory to smoothen the sharp edges on the axle wire channel, swap out the old wires for thicker wiring, and insulate and support the hall effect sensor legs!  :innocent1:  One can only hope and dream... :whistling:  That could explain the delay!

20 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe they sent the motors all back to the factory to smoothen the sharp edges on the axle wire channel, swap out the old wires for thicker wiring, and insulate and support the hall effect sensor legs!  :innocent1:  One can only hope and dream... :whistling:  That could explain the delay!

Did you skip your meds today?

27 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Did you skip your meds today?

What meds you talkin' bout, Marty? 6b567c5d48.jpg  OOooh those ones!  Yes I took my happy pills today!  They make me slightly delusional and see the world as a perfect place.  :w00t2:  In my world, the $20 bills say "In the Gotway Gods We Trust!"

37 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

What meds you talkin' bout, Marty? 6b567c5d48.jpg  OOooh those ones!  Yes I took my happy pills today!  They make me slightly delusional and see the world as a perfect place.  :w00t2:  In my world, the $20 bills say "In the Gotway Gods We Trust!"

:facepalm:

22 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

So I've determined that its off-road days are behind it. When possible I'm going to avoid riding it anywhere that I can crash it. It's now a road machine and mellow trail rider. I'm OK with that because I can use my ACM for the really rough stuff and the MSuper V3 for the semi-rough stuff.

I know my fellow Monster riders can attest to the fragile nature of the Monster. And for those of you who will be future Monster riders, be forewarned.

I wonder if there are natural parameters that one could say set the "sweet spot" for an EUC.   I personally would favor the smallest wheel that would feel "stable" in a particular use (e.g., off-road) because (1) small = torque and this provides more control, and (2) power and speed increase linearly with EUC scale; surface durability by the square; weight and wind pressure by the cube (and we aren't streamlined as we are on a bike).  Going big demands tougher (more expensive) materials and electronics, as well as bigger batteries.  Just my thoughts.

1 hour ago, Chris Westland said:

I wonder if there are natural parameters that one could say set the "sweet spot" for an EUC.   I personally would favor the smallest wheel that would feel "stable" in a particular use (e.g., off-road) because (1) small = torque and this provides more control, and (2) power and speed increase linearly with EUC scale; surface durability by the square; weight and wind pressure by the cube (and we aren't streamlined as we are on a bike).  Going big demands tougher (more expensive) materials and electronics, as well as bigger batteries.  Just my thoughts.

I would agree that there are natural parameters for any given sweet spot. The problem is that there are many sweet spots. There simply is not a perfect wheel because it depends on how a person uses it. There's a sweet spot for trail riding, for grocery shopping, for commuting, for tricks, for touring, etc.

57 minutes ago, Chris Westland said:

The sweet spot wheel is the ACM.It has a 1500w motor and a 16in.wheel.The monster has a 1600w motor but loses most of that advantage due to the 22in.wheel.The monster is best suited for long range road trips but lacks the ACM's acceleration,manueverability and and hill climbing prowess.The major advantage the monster has is range,if you have the 2400wh battery.Which is why I created the "world famous ACM2040TM" which has monster range in the sweet spot ACM size.:D

Unfortunately some sweet spots are out by default.  There are a lot of small wheels, hyper-maneuverable from what I hear, that aren't a good fit for a 200 pound plus guy, especially if he wants to go up much in the way of hills or cover any distance in them ... and stay safe from sudden cut-offs that could face-plant him.

I would actually really enjoy a great deal of maneuverability, but I think that is more or less out at my size.... I drift from about 205 regularly to 215 after the stuff-your-face holiday season.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I would agree that there are natural parameters for any given sweet spot. The problem is that there are many sweet spots. There simply is not a perfect wheel because it depends on how a person uses it. There's a sweet spot for trail riding, for grocery shopping, for commuting, for tricks, for touring, etc.

Indeed, at 150 lbs, I'm more in the range of Chinese engineers who design EUCs.  I'm curious Marty, as you suggested that the 16" ACM might be your favorite choice for trails.  Having tried a V8 on trails, I can see why big and heavy is preferred.  Any thoughts?

2 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

Indeed, at 150 lbs, I'm more in the range of Chinese engineers who design EUCs.  I'm curious Marty, as you suggested that the 16" ACM might be your favorite choice for trails.  Having tried a V8 on trails, I can see why big and heavy is preferred.  Any thoughts?

I would love to see Marty do some more write-ups on his comparative experiences trail-riding, since he has ridden a while and been on so many machines.

I'm still in shock at the thought of seeing his next trail videos on something besides the Monster.  He seemed to have fallen in love with that wheel.

14 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

My lips are sealed but let's just say I don't mind waiting a bit longer.;)

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

There's a sweet spot for trail riding, for grocery shopping, for commuting, for tricks, for touring, etc.

Please explain to the members which wheel you use to go grocery shopping!  :facepalm: Now Luffy might be fun to ride around inside a store while pushing the shopping cart but I suppose if you are buying large quantities of food or getting ready to party then the Monster might be the prudent choice!

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Please explain to the members which wheel you use to go grocery shopping!  :facepalm: Now Luffy might be fun to ride around inside a store while pushing the shopping cart but I suppose if you are buying large quantities of food or getting ready to party then the Monster might be the prudent choice!

:)  Although @jrkline gets away riding his wheels in some stores, I'll only ride into the entrance, then trolley it around. So my MSuper is the one wheel I can use for short trips to the stores, until I add a trolley handle to my ACM.

A couple of weeks ago I rode my wheel to the grocery store and it was nighttime. As I approached the store the doors automatically slid open and I zoomed in about 10 feet and dismounted. There was a guy there with his mouth agape as he stared at me. Coolest response ever - "Man, you looked like you just flew in from the future" :D   You can image from his perspective, never seeing one of these before. It's dark outside, the doors slide open, and a guy floats in 'from nowhere'. It only could have been better if there was fog outside too.

8 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

I would love to see Marty do some more write-ups on his comparative experiences trail-riding, since he has ridden a while and been on so many machines.

I'm still in shock at the thought of seeing his next trail videos on something besides the Monster.  He seemed to have fallen in love with that wheel.

Good idea. I'll have to think about a video for this.

I've actually ridden trails more with my other wheels, and I still anticipate enjoying the Monster on trails. But only on trails that I'm familiar with, and only on trails that offer a low probability of a forced dismount.

I still love my Monster :wub:

11 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

Actually small and nimble has it's advantages too. Like everything else there's no perfect trail wheel either. A small wheel can be advantageous for navigating the chunks of rocks, tree roots, ruts, etc. But a big wheel is great when you have no choice but to ride over the tree roots, ruts, and rocks.

The MSuper is a really nice trail machine. It's only not great when driving up steep hills. Another reason I'd like to upgrade mine to the 84v version, because I know it has a lot more power.

57 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

:)  Although @jrkline gets away riding his wheels in some stores, I'll only ride into the entrance, then trolley it around. So my MSuper is the one wheel I can use for short trips to the stores, until I add a trolley handle to my ACM.

A couple of wheels ago I rode my wheel to the grocery store and it was nighttime. As I approached the store the doors automatically slid open and I zoomed in about 10 feet and dismounted. There was a guy there with his mouth agape as he stared at me. Coolest response ever - "Man, you looked like you just flew in from the future" :D   You can image from his perspective, never seeing one of these before. It's dark outside, the doors slide open, and a guy floats in 'from nowhere'. It only could have been better if there was fog outside too.

Now that definitely would have been a GoPro moment!  :thumbup:That is what we need on this forum, a topic titled 'Funniest Video on Your EUC'!

On 5/3/2017 at 11:50 PM, Marty Backe said:

I finally got around to fixing the broken handle section of my Monster's shell, unsuccessfully.

When I had dropped the wheel a month ago the shell separated at the handle area. Turns out one of the screw heads snapped off and the remaining screw was pulled partially out of its receptacle. Another screw was loose because the internal structure that it was screwed into had snapped. It would be a major effort to fix this 'like new', and what's the point if it'll break again next time I drop it. So Gaffers Tape to the rescue. Doesn't look pretty, but my Monster is scratch and dinged to hell anyway.

Gotway did not scale this design properly when they designed its construction. Very fragile internal structures and the same crappy screws that they are known for.

So I've determined that its off-road days are behind it. When possible I'm going to avoid riding it anywhere that I can crash it. It's now a road machine and mellow trail rider. I'm OK with that because I can use my ACM for the really rough stuff and the MSuper V3 for the semi-rough stuff.

I know my fellow Monster riders can attest to the fragile nature of the Monster. And for those of you who will be future Monster riders, be forewarned.

Yep I totally understand.  Because of the massive weight even a small impact can wreak havoc.  They definitely did nothing to make the shell more durable to match the size/weight.  Not that I am surprised by that.  My Monster will be a road devouring wheel.  Hell I might not even ride it backwards.

14 minutes ago, Duf said:

Yep I totally understand.  Because of the massive weight even a small impact can wreak havoc.  They definitely did nothing to make the shell more durable to match the size/weight.  Not that I am surprised by that.  My Monster will be a road devouring wheel.  Hell I might not even ride it backwards.

FYI, once you get used to it the Monster is actually pretty easy to ride backwards. One tip, keep the Mode setting to Sport, otherwise the reversals are much harder in the softer modes.

I've been experimenting with the softer modes with the Monster. For street riding the middle mode seems really comfortable. Kind of makes the Monster feel like it has some shock absorbers. YMMV. 

Archived