Rare Downhill Combined Tiltback and Braking Situation

I thought I'd share this event that occured to me today.  I was going on my usual run, but as I was heading down a slight hill on a sidewalk I think I noticed I was going a little fast so I went to lean back to brake.  At the exact same time I hit the tiltback speed so I was leaning back with the pedals tilting back.  That was not a good feeling!  It felt like I was almost going to fall on my back while my wheel kept going forward.  

Luckily I managed to ride it through :efefc8626c:,  and I think it was just the odd timing of hitting the tiltback while trying to brake at the same time which was unsettling.  During those few seconds I hoped that I wasn't overloading the wheel with a very high braking current.  Thankfully all was fine.

I have delayed the purchase of special riding pants with extra padding, but I might have to reconsider that decision as a hard butt landing would not be fun!  Has anyone else run into this rare occurence?

Yes many times now. This is a common occurrence for me in the manner you describe. In addition, I get the danger slow down verbal warning. It used to scare the hell out of me. Terrifying the first few times it happened.

To be sure we are talking about the same thing.

1. Going downhill at near maximum or "brisk" speed.

2. The downhill gets steeper OR you require braking.

3. The wheel suddenly (not slowly) tilts back. It rears its head.

4. The wheel accelerates quickly under you and your center of gravity seems to be way behind you. I strongly suspect riders would jump off at this point instead of riding it out.

For me, I greatly tamed this behavior by setting my wheel to stock tilt and doing the Inmotion adjustment where you sit the wheel back and hit the adjust button in the Inmotion application.

This still happens to me going downhill and passing over sidewalk transitions the increase the downhill. The mind is a funny thing; it gets used to anything and so I just accept my wheel does this and keep going. There's places where I do this on purpose and I go looking for trouble, trusting my instinct and fast reactions to keep me out of trouble.

This happens to me fairly regularly, on steep hills at moderate speeds. I live in San Francisco, so it is unavoidable. It's still a bit unsettling when it happens. I ride an Inmotion V8 and weigh about 190lbs.

12 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I have delayed the purchase of special riding pants with extra padding, but I might have to reconsider that decision as a hard butt landing would not be fun!  Has anyone else run into this rare occurence?

After a fright like that it sounds like you had better consider incontinence pants - as a bonus, they would give extra padding as well ;-)

On 2017-04-15 at 6:37 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

W/S/W?

Which wheel, what speed, what was your overall weight?

It sounds like this isn't as rare as I had thought!  I'm on a Ninebot One E+, going 22 kph down a slight slope, me being about 167 pounds.  It's interesting that I haven't hit this combo of events before as I ride down hills pretty regularly.  

I must have been accelerating slightly and wanting to brake quickly as I was approaching a drop off the sidewalk.  At the exact moment I was braking it tilted back making it feel like the wheel was losing balance to the back.  

Incontinence pants sounds like a great idea!  Extra padding and protection!  :roflmao: 

• 1 month later...

On 15.4.2017 at 9:25 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I thought I'd share this event that occured to me today.  I was going on my usual run, but as I was heading down a slight hill on a sidewalk I think I noticed I was going a little fast so I went to lean back to brake.  At the exact same time I hit the tiltback speed so I was leaning back with the pedals tilting back.  That was not a good feeling!  It felt like I was almost going to fall on my back while my wheel kept going forward.

I had the same thing happen on my old X8 (sold) and even face planted in the middle of a crowded hilly street :huh: 

Another thing I experienced on my GW 14 MCM2 when I started riding down a long hill with a fully charged battery is that it would not brake after a few minutes. I managed to do some S turns to keep the speed down and luckily managed to get down without falling. The wheel felt just like jello. Not sure what happened but I suspect that the BMS prevented from overcharging the battery. It worked perfectly fine after that and it have never happened since - I have never started out on a long downhill with a fully charged battery either...

I have started taking it more easy downhills after these episodes. I guess you have to know the limitations of the wheel you are riding :mellow:

Let us know if you wind up getting pants like those.  I've taken hard falls on the tailbone while rollerblading and skateboarding, and think some protection would be a good idea.  

Reviews on protective pants on Amazon seem to be all over the map, though, and sometimes the people say the measurements are off, or the instructions are confusing, etc.  They can be expensive and though they often have removable inserts, I don't see the inserts being sold.

So if you find something good and worth recommending, please share!

On 4/15/2017 at 3:45 PM, Keith said:

After a fright like that it sounds like you had better consider incontinence pants - as a bonus, they would give extra padding as well ;-)

Funny!

Here might be a nice solution if someone doesn't want to spend much and wears loose pants.  You might be able to wear these underneath?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Agbistue-Winter-Sports-Skiing-Shorts-Protective-Hip-Bottom-Padded-Amour-for-Ski-Snow-Skate-Snowboard-Pants/32807468227.html

16 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Here might be a nice solution if someone doesn't want to spend much and wears loose pants.  You might be able to wear these underneath?

Why wear them underneath? 

Superheros always wear their undies in the outside! 

On Saturday, April 15, 2017 at 3:45 PM, Keith said:

Don't you mean adult diapers...

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Depends...

I'd Prevail upon him to preserve his Dignity and Select something that would give him more Poise and Attends more to his needs.

Archived