Victoria BC eu group

8 hours ago, UniMe said:

Hey, thanks! even though it won't work.

I'll try to figure out how to turn the bloody thing on haha pressed the button, it beeped a couple times, sang a little song, then nothing changed (no lights, didn't balance etc.). I just assumed the battery was fully drained.

Depending on who you ordered it from, I think sometimes they'll ship it with the battery disconnected. You'll still get a quick beep/light up then because there's still charge in the capacitor, but (if the battery is disconnected) there will be nothing after that.

EDIT: I just saw your next comment, so the battery is connected for sure.

Edited by Justin Boivin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rywokast said:

yup haha, ive verified it is indeed.. very faulty :/

The MSP seems to be a great wheel...the ones that arrive functional anyways. Too many of these "quality control" stories about the MSP though. Maybe all the good technicians went to Veteran? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Justin Boivin said:

The MSP seems to be a great wheel...the ones that arrive functional anyways. Too many of these "quality control" stories about the MSP though. Maybe all the good technicians went to Veteran? 

thats one theory heh.. the monster v3, and both versions of msp have been having troubles lately... though to be fair, the veteran has has its share of issues as well, board issues with oscillation, wires melting, waterproofing on the display causing the wheel to be unusable.. hmm, but so far they have offered solutions to these issues and are luckily taking tester feedback positively and making the changes... this should all be worked out when people start to get theirs... its forgivable for a new company on their first wheel especially since they are working hard with resellers and testers to iron out any kinks... gotway has no excuse

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

thats one theory heh.. the monster v3, and both versions of msp have been having troubles lately... though to be fair, the veteran has has its share of issues as well, board issues with oscillation, wires melting, waterproofing on the display causing the wheel to be unusable.. hmm, but so far they have offered solutions to these issues and are luckily taking tester feedback positively and making the changes... this should all be worked out when people start to get theirs... its forgivable for a new company on their first wheel especially since they are working hard with resellers and testers to iron out any kinks... gotway has no excuse

Yeah. All things considered though, I have high hopes for Veteran. The sherman is to bulky for me, but I like the simplified design choices they made (like the easily replaceable lights, easy access to the internals of the wheel etc). I'm looking forward to their next wheel or two, and would probably consider for my next wheel buy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Justin Boivin said:

Yeah. All things considered though, I have high hopes for Veteran. The sherman is to bulky for me, but I like the simplified design choices they made (like the easily replaceable lights, easy access to the internals of the wheel etc). I'm looking forward to their next wheel or two, and would probably consider for my next wheel buy.

yes although completely impractical for me in every way... i am still tempted haha... i cant help but be in awe of it :P

• Like 1

saw for the first time another KS-18L in the wild today, coming off the goose into langford,, as far as i know no one else in this group rides an 18L, that makes the third anonymous victoria rider ive seen now over the past few years O.o also seen plenty of electric scooters in the last few months, actually more than i have since the day i started riding combined.. and of course a few onewheels and tons of electric bikes... think pevs are slowly starting to gain traction here finally

yo yo yo!!!

shout out to @Rywokast for hooking me up with the KS 18XL.

After about 10 minutes I was rolling back and forth about 20 feet. Took it to the field by my house and within another 15 minutes I was going 150 meters or so and making a broad turn on the uneven ground and returning to where I started!! hells ya! I love these things!! Sweaty a bit, obviously working against the wheel as I'm learning, but it's coming quick!!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, UniMe said:

yo yo yo!!!

shout out to @Rywokast for hooking me up with the KS 18XL.

After about 10 minutes I was rolling back and forth about 20 feet. Took it to the field by my house and within another 15 minutes I was going 150 meters or so and making a broad turn on the uneven ground and returning to where I started!! hells ya! I love these things!! Sweaty a bit, obviously working against the wheel as I'm learning, but it's coming quick!!

my pleasure,, congrats that's awesome!! you'll be riding like a pro in no time :D

• Like 1

Well, elbow and wrist guards aren't here yet... a little road rash to remind me of my mortality. The elbow guards would have totally prevented this so good to learn how the gear functions.

Good news, I just rode about 2k slowly around my quiet neighborhood. Turning is purely instinctual, bailed going perhaps 15kph but tried too hard to stay on and should have just stepped off the wheel earlier. Knee and shin guards worked great though!

road rash 101_M.jpg

4 minutes ago, UniMe said:

Well, elbow and wrist guards aren't here yet... a little road rash to remind me of my mortality. The elbow guards would have totally prevented this so good to learn how the gear functions.

Good news, I just rode about 2k slowly around my quiet neighborhood. Turning is purely instinctual, bailed going perhaps 15kph but tried too hard to stay on and should have just stepped off the wheel earlier. Knee and shin guards worked great though!

whelp, thats your official initiation... welcome to the world of electric unicycles! :P thats great, howd the wheel turn out though O: did you pad it up at all? if you do end up smashing it up while learning new pads or panels arent that expensive... but even better is an euc bodyguard from the amazing @The Fat Unicyclist of roll.nz (ewheels i believe also keeps a stock of them if you dont want to customise). and yea if you gotta bail, bail... its always better to come off of your own accord than be thrown off xD

• Like 2

The wheel us fine, it actually impacted on the little pad where you grab the wheel with your legs. So a little chunk missing from there but the shell doesn't actually have a single scratch on it. I totally expect to trash it so didn't even look that closely at first. It was already covered in dirt and impacted with bits of grass from the field. It's fun though, a lot of core engagement, and it's super clear that the art of the thing will be learning how to turn in a controlled and reliable manner. Stopping and starting seem straightforward, it's just the remembering to lean back and stop part that isn't automatic yet.

I'll definitely get a protective case for it, will likely order that soon. I also know right away that 20kph (where I have it limited) is about 3kph faster than I need to be going right now haha. The wheel had beeped a couple times leading up to my little crash, a little too ambitious and still learning about where the limits are etc. 

Edited by UniMe

5 minutes ago, UniMe said:

The wheel us fine, it actually impacted on the little pad where you grab the wheel with your legs. So a little chunk missing from there but the shell doesn't actually have a single scratch on it. I totally expect to trash it so didn't even look that closely at first. It was already covered in dirt and impacted with bits of grass from the field. It's fun though, a lot of core engagement, and it's super clear that the art of the thing will be learning how to turn in a controlled and reliable manner. Stopping and starting seem straightforward, it's just the remembering to lean back and stop part that isn't automatic yet.

I'll definitely get a protective case for it, will likely order that soon. I also know right away that 20kph (where I have it limited) is about 3kph faster than I need to be going right now haha. The wheel had beeped a couple times leading up to my little crash, a little too ambitious and still learning about where the limits are etc. 

oh thats good :) well KS builds them to last the wheel can certainly take a good beating in stride. yup it can be a good workout once you get going,, aah haha, did you feel the tiltback yet or is it just on beeps now? try when braking instead of leaning back, pushing down with your heels and sliding the wheel in front of you if that makes sense... i just mean keeping your centre of gravity over the axle as much as possible, same for turning until you get faster and push it much harder.. you will just be harder to be thrown off balance that way, i control the wheel mostly with my ankles at slower speeds

• Like 1

you should also try different ride modes if you haven't.. unless you changed it it's in hard mode but a lot of people prefer the softer modes for learning, it just means the pedals will sway slightly with you and there will be a slight delay in the wheels reactions.. so I could definitely see how that would be helpful for someone new

Edited by Rywokast

@Rywokast thanks for the tips and links!

In all fairness, I have been watching video's and doing kinetic rehearsals in my head for a couple weeks in prep for today. The best advice I saw was a bit about ensuring the leg you start with on the wheel is firmly braced against the pad, this ensures stability from the start. There are a few other approaches, but I just picked this one and ran with it. Maintaining this type of bracing once underway kept the wheel from wobbling. I'm pretty good at balancing on my bike at lights and stuff, keeping that wheel locked in gives me just enough after I bring the other foot up to initiate forward movement. It's like a 1/2 second of balancing on the spot then off we go, a little push from the foot on the ground makes it that much easier. I've been doing this mount both left and right from the beginning, and both seem to function equally. Unlike you (or so I take from the link above) I have never mastered a back flip though! :D 

It's funny, I was invited to go curling last winter, something I've never done. I watched some videos and did my thing i.e. sat back and spent a fair amount of time visualizing how to rotate the rock, how to be in the trowing stance, practiced the stance a couple times etc. When it came time to get on the ice I did fairly well for someone who has never touched a curling stone. I told someone that I had "googled it" and she laughed and it wasn't until we were chatting afterwards that she realized I was serious and had never actually played -- she seemed a little shocked.

My point being, mental prep for new things can really improve initial learning. This is how many pro athletes train -- something to consider for another newbie who happens across this post. Watch a bunch of videos, sit and visualize doing it to the point where your body starts to engage a bit, and imagine the activity from a number of different approaches. Then pick one approach and execute when the time comes. I must assume that folks who struggle for days to get going didn't do this initial prep.

Next goal, visualizing turning using a couple different techniques!! Then I'll pick one (it seems the ankle turn for low speed) and just commit to the movement and do my best to pull it off!

• Like 2

nice, you seem to be a very good visual learner then.. a lot of people will take much longer unless someone physically shows them what to do, which was the case with the people that i have taught how to ride, they learned pretty quick once physically showed them, but were pretty atrocious before that... there are some pretty hilarious recordings of my parents attempting to ride with just having seen a video on how its done... it did not turn out well lol.

yup, turning is actually really easy... however the recovery from a turn is the hard part lol.. its best practicing to do some figure 8s around the neighbourhood or so some S weaving between imaginary traffic cones, slowly leaning more and more each time, reducing the turning radius that way you get a good feel for the weight and sensation and learn how to gracefully come out of a turn.. if you want to get really dizzy you can practice doing 360s doing the same thing one direction, then the other slowly making it tighter and tighter until you can do 360s on the spot

Honestly, I think most people can be better visual learners. When I talk with a lot of people about the practice they don't seem to understand at first that it's not about just watching someone do something. You then need to imagine yourself doing it to the point where your muscles start to twitch and with the EUC where my upper body starts to rotate as I imagine doing a high speed turn. Then take it further, stand up, imagine the EUC, where you'll put your feet, how you'll set your knees and body etc. and do imaginary practice.

Dancers do a lot of this as well, they visualize choreography when not in the studio to practice and typically embody movements through active visualization before trying a dance sequence. I'm a drummer and have played for a lot of dancers so have some first hand knowledge with this group. To be honest, there is some of this with drumming as well.

I'm probably your parents age... right?

Edited by UniMe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UniMe said:

Honestly, I think most people can be better visual learners. When I talk with a lot of people about the practice they don't seem to understand at first that it's not about just watching someone do something. You then need to imagine yourself doing it to the point where your muscles start to twitch and with the EUC where my upper body starts to rotate as I imagine doing a high speed turn. Then take it further, stand up, imagine the EUC, where you'll put your feet, how you'll set your knees and body etc. and do imaginary practice.

Dancers do a lot of this as well, they visualize choreography when not in the studio to practice and typically embody movements through active visualization before trying a dance sequence. I'm a drummer and have played for a lot of dancers so have some first hand knowledge with this group. To be honest, there is some of this with drumming as well.

I'm probably your parents age... right?

hmm, interesting.. I haven't really thought of it like that I normally like to watch videos or read but don't actually visualise myself..

yup you are :p

I took a surf class many years ago, the first couple hours were all 'mock' surfing on the beach. The instructor had us draw a board in the sand, lay down in the sand, imagine the wave, pretend we were paddling, and then practice getting our feet under us like we would need to do on the board. It was super helpful! This is just another example.

If you're teaching someone new, perhaps consider this type of training activity before they even touch the wheel. The more we can see a movement or activity from the perspective of executing it our self the better we'll perform when the time comes to do it.

Today I kept my practice session to the field, it's good and bumpy and keeps me focused. There's a bunch of newly planted trees so I started weaving between them during the last half. Seems I'm doing a bit of ankle steering and body rotation steering, and also working hard on paying attention to my posture and standing up straight as soon as I remember to do so. Your tip about pushing down with my heels and pushing it a very small amount in front of my center of gravity works really well!! I could see immediately that there is a lot of potential for stopping quickly like this -- Thanks!!

• Like 2

Oh, and I'm fully geared up now -- wrist guards and elbow pads. Not letting this get to my head though, and I practiced 'running away' from the wheel a couple times today. F**k it -- just let that thing fall and get out of there! There's something liberating about that...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UniMe said:

Oh, and I'm fully geared up now -- wrist guards and elbow pads. Not letting this get to my head though, and I practiced 'running away' from the wheel a couple times today. F**k it -- just let that thing fall and get out of there! There's something liberating about that...

nice nice, haha thats funny ive recommended plenty of times to new riders here that they go to an open field and practice crashing/bailing.... its a lot less scary once you know what to expect and it makes you a more confident rider.. have you increased the speed limit at all or are you still keeping it to 20 kph?