Victoria BC eu group

4 hours ago, TonyGrayCanada said:

I'm up and running with my KS16X, just got back from a trip to Darcy's in Langford.  Faster than the V10f, but seems less torquey at low speeds.  Eyeballs freezing.  Total success!

brave, freezing this weekend haha.. i went out for a little bit when it was super windy but i chickened out half way through because my feet were totally numb lol.. nice, did you update the firmware? i think the later revisions are much better in that regard.. especially vs the v10 which isnt known for being an especially torquey wheel O.o interesting. if you havent already, try upgrading to firmware 2.XX with the EUC world app, i have experienced the marked difference in torque and pedal stiffness/responsiveness on both my KS16S and KS18XL... so much so that with how extensive my experience on KS wheels is, caused me for the first time ever to roll back to the previous firmware lol.. i am so used to how the KS wheels have always ridden that i wanted to go back because it was too responsive and had too much torque i was riding them like a bat out of hell, i prefer the old firmware and having to work a little harder for it, bit more of a workout.. the silence was great while it lasted though xD

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Rywokast said:

brave, freezing this weekend haha.. i went out for a little bit when it was super windy but i chickened out half way through because my feet were totally numb lol.. nice, did you update the firmware? i think the later revisions are much better in that regard.. especially vs the v10 which isnt known for being an especially torquey wheel O.o interesting. if you havent already, try upgrading to firmware 2.XX with the EUC world app, i have experienced the marked difference in torque and pedal stiffness/responsiveness on both my KS16S and KS18XL... so much so that with how extensive my experience on KS wheels is, caused me for the first time ever to roll back to the previous firmware lol.. i am so used to how the KS wheels have always ridden that i wanted to go back because it was too responsive and had too much torque i was riding them like a bat out of hell, i prefer the old firmware and having to work a little harder for it, bit more of a workout.. the silence was great while it lasted though xD

The kingsong App says my v1.07 is the latest, where did you download a newer version?

kingsong app doesnt know what its talking about haha.. says 1.09 and 1.13 are latest for my 16S and 18XL the app called EUC world works for all EUCs and is much better than any other app out there you can do everything from it

Hi all,  I'm new here. I don't have a wheel yet, still doing research and have been lurking here for a while soaking up all your thoughts.

I'm hoping to commute about 25k one-way to work along Lochside. Is that doable?  I think it's achievable in terms of battery capacity, what i'm wondering is if it's feasible physically? Does anyone ride that far?  I do it now on an e-bike, but it sure is boring. I'm hoping to change things up now and then.  I'm also a fair weather rider and like to bus home if the weather turns nasty and that's harder to do with a bike.

Lastly, I'd sure like to know if there is a meet up sometime. I'd love to come and talk to you guys and see what it's all about. It sure looks fun.

oh, sorry, there is one more thing. I see someone riding a wheel on the trail usually near Blenkinsop lake. Is that anyone on this forum? If so, how is it on the gravel?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, BCGills said:

Hi all,  I'm new here. I don't have a wheel yet, still doing research and have been lurking here for a while soaking up all your thoughts.

I'm hoping to commute about 25k one-way to work along Lochside. Is that doable?  I think it's achievable in terms of battery capacity, what i'm wondering is if it's feasible physically? Does anyone ride that far?  I do it now on an e-bike, but it sure is boring. I'm hoping to change things up now and then.  I'm also a fair weather rider and like to bus home if the weather turns nasty and that's harder to do with a bike.

Lastly, I'd sure like to know if there is a meet up sometime. I'd love to come and talk to you guys and see what it's all about. It sure looks fun.

oh, sorry, there is one more thing. I see someone riding a wheel on the trail usually near Blenkinsop lake. Is that anyone on this forum? If so, how is it on the gravel?

hey :) 25 km one way is absolutely doable in the worse of conditions.. its not uncommon for me to do 100 km rides and 50 km rides i do multiple times a week... i have tens of thousands of km under my belt and still ride for fun in my free time all the time, never get tired of it personally... while you could do that trip on even a KS14/16S, Tesla, V10F, i would recommend that you get something with 1600 Wh+ to err on the side of caution as battery life is highly influenced by rider weight, riding style, speed, wind resistance, terrain, and temperature.. so while under ideal conditions i could very easily make that trip on even an 800 Wh battery, if it was cold and windy i might be carrying it part of the way xD but im also a very light rider so that can be up to 50% less for someone who is much heavier.. i agree e bikes and bikes in general are pretty slow and boring imo, never heard of a single person calling EUC's boring.. gravel and even sand is absolutely fine for any EUC but the larger the gravel is the harder it would be to traverse with a thinner tire, is you are riding on gravel a lot a larger width tire would be better for you than even a larger diameter tire.. both being ideal (18x3). im not sure about a meetup we havent really had any organised group rides there just arent that many of us, but its definitely something im interested in now that i know there are 4 (possibly 5) riders in this group... if you want to see more of the terrains that EUCs can traverse, you should watch some videos on youtube of trail riding and marty backe beach/trail riding.. there isnt a terrain that they cant go on that another PEV or bicycle can, and in most cases they trump anything else, i honestly wouldnt even worry about terrain at all you can see some of ians videos on youtube too (speedyfeetuk) he does a lot of trail and gravel riding in his videos

feel free to ask any questions about the different types of eucs here or on other parts of the forum too, any possible questions you have somebody will have a definitive answer and experience with it

• Like 3

19 hours ago, BCGills said:

I live on the gorge by Tillicum and work up on Keating cross, one way was about 22km up lochside and I did it most days last summer on my V10f.  I could do the round trip on a charge, but often took my charge brick with me anyway and charged at work.

I still get sore feet on longer rides.  I found it good to stop for a couple of minutes and walk around on the ride to work while I was getting in shape.  Also nice to stop at matticks farm for a bun and a coffee on the way.  My commute was consistently under an hour, I think 47 minutes was my best time.

I'd suggest getting a finger bell for riding up lochside as it can get pretty congested as you know from your ebike.

Though there are special ones, I found that the absolutely cheapest handlebar bell works great on your index finger.  Any bike store will have a basket of them.

• Like 1

Got pulled over by a cop last night.  He said that I was violating the Motor Vehicle Act by riding on a public road with a motorized (not personally powered) vehicle without insurance.  No ticket just a warning.  But there are cops out there that will decide to enforce that stuff arbitrarily.  

I wasn't doing anything provocative either. Just rolling down Darwin Ave towards Saanich Municipal Hall going 15km/h.

If I get a ticket I will fight it and take a chance in front of a judge. But these laws regulations need to be updated. 

It sucks because almost every trip I take starts right behind the Saanich Police station so I am sure I will see this guy again. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Msubasic said:

Got pulled over by a cop last night.  He said that I was violating the Motor Vehicle Act by riding on a public road with a motorized (not personally powered) vehicle without insurance.  No ticket just a warning.  But there are cops out there that will decide to enforce that stuff arbitrarily.  

I wasn't doing anything provocative either. Just rolling down Darwin Ave towards Saanich Municipal Hall going 15km/h.

If I get a ticket I will fight it and take a chance in front of a judge. But these laws regulations need to be updated. 

It sucks because almost every trip I take starts right behind the Saanich Police station so I am sure I will see this guy again. 

idiot with nothing better to do.. cant wait until the law actually changes... i only got stopped one time by a cop was late at night he didnt stop me he just rolled down his window and said you need a brighter tail light i could hardly see you.. which is fair lol it was somewhat blocked by the euc bodyguard and dim as it is plus i was wearing all black lol he just sped off after saying that.. i dont believe any cop would ticket you it would be a waste of time and it would lose if you fought it but yea maybe try to avoid the police station if possible lol, though i drive right past the victoria police station every day for work 5 days a week for like four years now and havent once had an issue, this guy is just a dick.. shouldve just started coughing manically and said well i cant take the bus!

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rywokast said:

idiot with nothing better to do.. cant wait until the law actually changes... i only got stopped one time by a cop was late at night he didnt stop me he just rolled down his window and said you need a brighter tail light i could hardly see you.. which is fair lol it was somewhat blocked by the euc bodyguard and dim as it is plus i was wearing all black lol he just sped off after saying that.. i dont believe any cop would ticket you it would be a waste of time and it would lose if you fought it but yea maybe try to avoid the police station if possible lol, though i drive right past the victoria police station every day for work 5 days a week for like four years now and havent once had an issue, this guy is just a dick.. shouldve just started coughing manically and said well i cant take the bus!

LOL at the cough and take the bus idea!! should have thought of that.  EUC works pretty well for social distancing!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Msubasic said:

LOL at the cough and take the bus idea!! should have thought of that.  EUC works pretty well for social distancing!

exactly.. the mayor is on our side I wouldn't worry too much about it

On 3/17/2020 at 5:59 PM, Rywokast said:

hey :) 25 km one way is absolutely doable in the worse of conditions.. its not uncommon for me to do 100 km rides and 50 km rides i do multiple times a week... i have tens of thousands of km under my belt and still ride for fun in my free time all the time, never get tired of it personally... while you could do that trip on even a KS14/16S, Tesla, V10F, i would recommend that you get something with 1600 Wh+ to err on the side of caution as battery life is highly influenced by rider weight, riding style, speed, wind resistance, terrain, and temperature.. so while under ideal conditions i could very easily make that trip on even an 800 Wh battery, if it was cold and windy i might be carrying it part of the way xD but im also a very light rider so that can be up to 50% less for someone who is much heavier.. i agree e bikes and bikes in general are pretty slow and boring imo, never heard of a single person calling EUC's boring.. gravel and even sand is absolutely fine for any EUC but the larger the gravel is the harder it would be to traverse with a thinner tire, is you are riding on gravel a lot a larger width tire would be better for you than even a larger diameter tire.. both being ideal (18x3). im not sure about a meetup we havent really had any organised group rides there just arent that many of us, but its definitely something im interested in now that i know there are 4 (possibly 5) riders in this group... if you want to see more of the terrains that EUCs can traverse, you should watch some videos on youtube of trail riding and marty backe beach/trail riding.. there isnt a terrain that they cant go on that another PEV or bicycle can, and in most cases they trump anything else, i honestly wouldnt even worry about terrain at all you can see some of ians videos on youtube too (speedyfeetuk) he does a lot of trail and gravel riding in his videos

feel free to ask any questions about the different types of eucs here or on other parts of the forum too, any possible questions you have somebody will have a definitive answer and experience with it

Thanks for the advice.  I was hoping the V8F would be sufficient as they are priced well and the InMotion wheels seem to have a good rep. Maybe the V10F?? I'm pretty heavy over 215lbs so I'll look for something with some extra headroom.  I'm glad to hear people are doing those kinds of distances.

16 minutes ago, BCGills said:

Thanks for the advice.  I was hoping the V8F would be sufficient as they are priced well and the InMotion wheels seem to have a good rep. Maybe the V10F?? I'm pretty heavy over 215lbs so I'll look for something with some extra headroom.  I'm glad to hear people are doing those kinds of distances.

hmmm, V8F would be on the absolute lowest end of acceptable i would say, and it most definitely would not get you there and back, and in some cases.. probably not even one way.. the V10F is much better, its definitely perfectly fine for you.. but at 215 i would not say for sure that it could make the trip there and back.. one way absolutely but both ways would be a gamble.. it is the slowest option for top end wheels but other than that the components and build quality are all top notch, you wouldnt be disappointed in any way except for range.. if youre willing to spend that much money i would definitely steer you more towards something like the MSX or nikola.. or if you want to spend a little more the 18XL is an excellent smooth riding cruising wheel that has phenomenal range.. in fact even the 18L should be able to get you both ways since the 18L/XL have the best in class range per charge.. i definitely would steer clear of the V8F and if youre not looking to spend a lot of money and dont mind a range of slightly under 50 km i would point you towards a GW tesla instead if you want a smaller, cheaper great all around wheel that competes with the big boys

13 hours ago, Msubasic said:

Agh, that's unfortunate. The laws are probably very close to being changed...I know they were putting something through the legislature, where Victoria was going to be one of a few test cities to carve out regulations. Haven't heard anything recently though.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 7:02 PM, Glyphs Gaming said:

Happened to run into @TonyGrayCanada and some other rider on the goose by uptown, looked a lot like a 16x. Was nice seeing some other riders out there! I made a Facebook group for sharing pics/videos and organizing group rides. Either tag your fb in comments or personal message me so I can send out invites, due to the group being set to private.

Can you add me to the FB group? https://www.facebook.com/justin.boivin.5

• 2 weeks later...

So I took the MSX on the furthest commute today so far. I was working in Sidney, went there from Vic west on the lochside trail. That's a 30km journey going about 30-40km/hr on average. It was cold and windy at 4 degrees Celsius. I weigh ~160 lbs (plus backpack...so  probably around 180). I never had to slow down and got there with 38 percent left.

I was able to charge it at client's houses throughout the day back up to 90 (I do landscaping work; couldn't ride in the truck because of social distancing). I got back home with about 25 percent battery left.

Towards the end of the return trip I was getting beeps any time I went up a hill, so I probably wouldn't want to run it down any further than that. 

Maybe I'll head up that way in the summertime, without a backpack and see how much a difference those variables make.

Happy to see the wheel can still provide solid range, even in not so ideal conditions. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

I'm new to EUC's and have yet to pull the trigger on a purchase. I'm thinking of taking a chance on the new Inmotion V11, but do wonder if getting started on the suspension might make my learning curve steeper.

I see they're still advertised for off road use only but am heartened by glimmers of changing legislation in the province and the general sentement in and around Victoria that they should be legal. Hey, if the region left 'grey market' cannabis stores alone for years perhaps they won't get on my case for doing something that can only truly put myself at risk.

Has anyone here challenged their wheels on some of the hills around town? For example, would a wheel that claims to climb 35 degrees make it up Mt. Tolmie? I doubt any of them would make it up Mt. Doug, but tolmie seems like it might be possible. Perhaps it would get too hot, or?

Then there is the obvious off road questions: can you hop your wheel? Are they any use at all in the dirt?

• Like 2

also, knee pads, wrist guards and a full face helmet when learning, right!?!? I can be a little full on and rode dual sport motorcycles for a while, I'm thinking anything that does 50k deserves some protective equipment. I would also think knowing how to barrel role to avoid face plants would be a super helpful skill. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, UniMe said:

Hi All,

I'm new to EUC's and have yet to pull the trigger on a purchase. I'm thinking of taking a chance on the new Inmotion V11, but do wonder if getting started on the suspension might make my learning curve steeper.

I see they're still advertised for off road use only but am heartened by glimmers of changing legislation in the province and the general sentement in and around Victoria that they should be legal. Hey, if the region left 'grey market' cannabis stores alone for years perhaps they won't get on my case for doing something that can only truly put myself at risk.

Has anyone here challenged their wheels on some of the hills around town? For example, would a wheel that claims to climb 35 degrees make it up Mt. Tolmie? I doubt any of them would make it up Mt. Doug, but tolmie seems like it might be possible. Perhaps it would get too hot, or?

Then there is the obvious off road questions: can you hop your wheel? Are they any use at all in the dirt?

there are only a select few people that could even tell you about suspension wheels lol.. my suspicion is yes, it would make the learning curve steeper,, because of the obvious the pedals are not at a fixed height so the riding style would be different in a more pronounced way depending on the terrain... I don't really think it would be much though,, hard to say... perhaps you could just let all of the air out and not use the suspension until you learned to ride? not quite sure.. eh I've ridden over 20 wheels for almost four years and never been stopped by the cops, I must have seen every single one at least once while riding around lol.

there are no hills to my knowledge in Victoria that can challenge any euc... tolmie is a breeze and mt doug is easy peasy, if you know of anything steeper, I would love to try it :p you can hop pretty much any wheel obviously depending on the weight is how tough it will be, super small wheels are easy and medium to larger wheels you generally need to add some sort of padding above your ankles to get any real grip good enough for actual hopping.. just don't do it off too big a height as it puts a tremendous amount of stress on the pedals and axles though it's incredibly rare for anything to ever happen... they can easily go on any terrain anything else with a wheel can, dirt is absolutely a non issue, even sand can be done though it's tough, only thing that's not possible is large loose gravel, maybe for a short burst but no one or two wheeled device would be able to go through that easily unless they had like a 6" wide tire haha

10 hours ago, UniMe said:

also, knee pads, wrist guards and a full face helmet when learning, right!?!? I can be a little full on and rode dual sport motorcycles for a while, I'm thinking anything that does 50k deserves some protective equipment. I would also think knowing how to barrel role to avoid face plants would be a super helpful skill. 

that's the general consensus... absolute bare minimum wrist guards when first learning.. I seriously doubt on day one you'd be going faster than a jog anyways so imo a full face helmet would just be a hindrance... but once you learn yea for sure knees, wrists/hands and head

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. I'm surprised EUC's can roll up mt. doug! That's fantastic :clap3:

I guess the only supplier is the Vancouver EUC shop, there doesn't appear to be anything on the island. Reviews of the shop look good but a repair shop closer would be better. That said, they look to be fairly reliable and the design is simple enough. Is it reasonably straightforward to change a tire? From the design, this simple task looks like it might actually be a huge headache.

• Like 1

Hey, instead of the inmotion V11 I was thinking the KS 18xl might be a good choice. Anyone here ridden this wheel? The only confusing part is the 2000 vs 2200w motor choice, will need to do a bit more googling to figure out what is the better choice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UniMe said:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm surprised EUC's can roll up mt. doug! That's fantastic :clap3:

I guess the only supplier is the Vancouver EUC shop, there doesn't appear to be anything on the island. Reviews of the shop look good but a repair shop closer would be better. That said, they look to be fairly reliable and the design is simple enough. Is it reasonably straightforward to change a tire? From the design, this simple task looks like it might actually be a huge headache.

there used to be a reseller on the island but he doesnt do it anymore, van euc is the closest.. though there is in canada smartwheel and freemotion shop has a warehouse in canada and one in LA... it is reasonably straightforward and simple to change a tire, but still a pita because it just takes some time to take the shell apart... luckily its not something you do very often at all

4 hours ago, UniMe said:

Hey, instead of the inmotion V11 I was thinking the KS 18xl might be a good choice. Anyone here ridden this wheel? The only confusing part is the 2000 vs 2200w motor choice, will need to do a bit more googling to figure out what is the better choice.

hmmm, well i have had four of them (different versions) it is my all time favourite wheel ever, and i couldnt possibly recommend it enough, 2200w motor is just their newest one they switched to a little while ago, it has more torque and is completely silent, that being said they issued a firmware update that also gives the 2000w motor more torque and makes it silent lol... so the difference between them is marginal... very slightly better off the line speed and torque with the 2200w with the sacrifice of speed throttling at 50% battery, the 18xl has incredible range but even so i dont like to be throttled at 50% battery, i prefer the 2000w version myself with FW 1.13 so i can ride down to 25% battery with zero speed throttling 

That's weird about speed throttling at 50% battery... I've read about it a bit but can't find direct information anywhere in the specs... seems strange for this to be happening.

Do you have a link to more info? I found a 2200 version that could ship tomorrow but am hesitating because of this...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UniMe said:

That's weird about speed throttling at 50% battery... I've read about it a bit but can't find direct information anywhere in the specs... seems strange for this to be happening.

Do you have a link to more info? I found a 2200 version that could ship tomorrow but am hesitating because of this...

not strange behaviour at all on a kingsong or inmotion or ninebot anything but a gotway lol a lot of wheels do it... the 2000W 18XL is an abnormality for only beginning to throttle at 25% battery that's why imo it's the comfortable cruising king.. I don't have a link or anything, but I've owned every version of it so I know :p I do personally recommend people because it's still available for grabs to just go for the 2000W model because you can choose what you want by just switching firmware over the app instead of having no choice, 2000W on 1.13 is my choice, you should email smartwheel.ca and ask them for the XL 2000W for $2600 CAD shipped, they have fast free shipping, return policy and warranty.. ships from Canada