Victoria BC eu group

Sorry to hear both of you guys had to experience that.

Will keep my eyes sharp and my wits about me.

Maybe I will come to a full stop for now just in case, and make eye contact with the driver before I proceed to avoid this for myself. 

The worst part about it is you shouldn't have to watch out because you have the right of way, but you need to take the extra precaution for the many people that probably shouldn't be on the road..

Edited by Glyphs Gaming

5 minutes ago, Glyphs Gaming said:

Sorry to hear both of you guys had to experience that.

Will keep my eyes sharp and my wits about me.

Maybe I will come to a full stop for now just in case, and make eye contact with the driver before I proceed to avoid this for myself. 

The worst part about it is you shouldn't have to watch out because you have the right of way, but you need to take the extra precaution for the many people that probably shouldn't be on the road..

most definitely, eye contact is most important.. the problem this last time was this jackass, i had a walk signal, crossed the road and he came barreling up and took a right turn without even glancing over to see if anyone was crossing or not just took the turn immediately and nailed me... so many bad drivers, countless times i have seen someone sitting, waiting to turn right and they just have their head cranked to the left waiting for the opportunity completely oblivious to the fact that someone might be crossing to their right, plenty of close calls and actually been hit twice

On 1/29/2020 at 10:08 AM, Msubasic said:

Well I got hit by a car at the galloping goose Atkins road crossing on Friday night. I thought it was just a bruise to my hip but 10 minutes later I noticed my hand was hurting and went to the hospital and there was a fracture to a small carpal bone in my right hand. So its in a cast for the 4-6 weeks.

It was dark. I had on all front and side lights on my V8. The driver was a nice older lady who has tried to be as helpful as possible after it happened. But she failed to slow down and check at the crossing and I didn't do enough precautions slowing down enough in case that happened.  I was wearing kneepads and elbow pads and bike helmet and my gloves were thick rain proof ones with padding, but they were not wrist-guards with metal plates. 

The wheel is ok, but I got a lot of family members saying "I told ya so" and saying it was stupid to ride an electric unicycle in the first place. But I think I will keep riding. Just always wear wrist guards and be more cautious around cars.

Man that's awful, I'm sorry you got hit and injured.  Cars sail through that intersection at full speed and because of the bend in the road you can't see them coming until they're quite close.

When the weather cooperates a bit, I'd still like to suggest a get together for a group ride, you can tell us the rest of the story.

• Like 1

A fellow rider and I went on a small group ride today. Was quite fun riding with someone else and being able to talk shop. I will be riding my 16x every non rainy day, so if anyone is up for a group ride let me know. I will try to get a facebook event page set up for upcoming group rides. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Glyphs Gaming said:

A fellow rider and I went on a small group ride today. Was quite fun riding with someone else and being able to talk shop. I will be riding my 16x every non rainy day, so if anyone is up for a group ride let me know. I will try to get a facebook event page set up for upcoming group rides. 

they are few and far between lately haha but id be down

• Like 1

Happened to run into @TonyGrayCanada and some other rider on the goose by uptown, looked a lot like a 16x. Was nice seeing some other riders out there! I made a Facebook group for sharing pics/videos and organizing group rides. Either tag your fb in comments or personal message me so I can send out invites, due to the group being set to private.

1 hour ago, Glyphs Gaming said:

Happened to run into @TonyGrayCanada and some other rider on the goose by uptown, looked a lot like a 16x. Was nice seeing some other riders out there! I made a Facebook group for sharing pics/videos and organizing group rides. Either tag your fb in comments or personal message me so I can send out invites, due to the group being set to private.

pm'd

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DaveN said:

I am joining the group.Going to buy a wheel in 2 months. Yes, I live in victoria :)

nice, any thoughts yet as to what? have you seen any of us around, or you just happened across here/curiosity

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

I have only seen 1 rider in victoria, from a distance (up on the goose near mackenzie). I found this group just random googling while going down the euc rabbit-hole.

I have been obsessing over segways/hoverboards/ebikes and euc for years ( loved riding the segway but pretty much illegal here, hoverboards suck to ride, ebikes are practical but fun?), so I am going to save a few more dollars and buy a euc. Note: I have never ridden one :) but they look like fun.

From my info gathering, I am considering a v10. It seems to be one of the few wheels that claims a water rating (others may also be fine, but "bricking" and expensive device would break my heart). Given my weight (about 200 pounds), I figured that the v8(f) would  be an issue on hills, so a $200 price increase for the v10 seemed reasonable. The v10f seems really pricey for a hobby I may not love.

Anyway, that's my background. I would love to chat more about your wheel and why you chose it . 

4 hours ago, DaveN said:

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

I have only seen 1 rider in victoria, from a distance (up on the goose near mackenzie). I found this group just random googling while going down the euc rabbit-hole.

I have been obsessing over segways/hoverboards/ebikes and euc for years ( loved riding the segway but pretty much illegal here, hoverboards suck to ride, ebikes are practical but fun?), so I am going to save a few more dollars and buy a euc. Note: I have never ridden one :) but they look like fun.

From my info gathering, I am considering a v10. It seems to be one of the few wheels that claims a water rating (others may also be fine, but "bricking" and expensive device would break my heart). Given my weight (about 200 pounds), I figured that the v8(f) would  be an issue on hills, so a $200 price increase for the v10 seemed reasonable. The v10f seems really pricey for a hobby I may not love.

Anyway, that's my background. I would love to chat more about your wheel and why you chose it . 

aaah okay, couldve been any one of us xD i see.. well the true rabbit hole will be when you learn to ride haha.. i mean technically everything besides a bicycle or a pos electric bike (500W or less) is illegal.. but so long as you ride responsibly im not aware of anyone here ever being stopped.. ive been riding every day nearly four years and never been stopped... well ive had i believe 20 EUCs so why i chose my wheel is because i want to try every one lol, why i chose initially would have been because at the time that was the best one available (KS16s, GW ACMS+ then ACM2, Msuper V3S+ etc) but as for some info on the V10 i think @TonyGrayCanada would be able to share some knowledge with you, that is one i have unfortunately not had the pleasure of owning, however i have had several inmotion wheels and you are correct about the waterproofing, they do definitely have the best water resistance... in general all eucs have great water resistance and rain shouldnt worry you, but i always feel more comfortable on an inmotion because i have seen first hand the waterproofing measures.. your weight shouldnt be an issue on any wheel but yea.. seeing as they are both 16" wheels of course the one with the much more powerful motor will have more torque and overall power. if you have any other questions or concerns what have you feel free to ask here, or of course anywhere on the forum :P but ill try to help you as much as possible,, where were you thinking of getting a wheel, or do you know yet? if you didnt know vaneuc is obviously by the name, a place in vancouver so all taxes will be included in the price and it would be the quickest option, then smartwheel is also in canada, ontario i believe they will also be taxes included but be aware they often sell stuff as pre orders or whatever you want to call it where they will sell it to you cheaper and then when they have them in stock they will ship them out so thats an option if youre not in a rush.. freemotionshop has canadian pricing but most of their wheels ship from los angelas so be cautious of high import fees when the wheel gets to you, though often they have some really good prices that can offset that (on their ebay store 750 bucks for the V5F+ 480 wh) which is way cheaper than you can find it somewhere else... then everyones favourite ewheels, they have by far the best warranty and customer service, also very reasonable and blazing fast shipping, they have great prices but the exchange when its horrible can make it a bit more expensive sometimes but theyre great anyways.. aliexpress is where you go if you want something really cheap and dont mind waiting up to a month for it... it can be a little quicker but generally 3-5 weeks, as they ship in batches on a barge, also keep in mind you will get next to no customer service or warranty whatsoever unless maybe it arrives completely DOA, so its a bit of a gamble... though actually purchasing something there is not a risk at all in itself

5 hours ago, DaveN said:

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

oh i forgot to mention one thing btw, now is a great time to grab the regular V10 if you can find a good price on one,, because there is a good chance it will actually be 750 Wh and not 650 as the label says.. the reason for this is the number of cells is the same, but inmotion somewhat recently due to some issues switched to a different manufacturer for their cells in the regular V10 and they are higher capacity, so the actual total Wh of the battery is higher than claimed... i would assume they "forgot" to mention this in their advertising as that would obviously be less people thinking they should pay way more for the V10F instead... so for someone new, the regular V10 can definitely be a bargain

@TonyGrayCanada, if you come onto the forums, please reach out. I am curious about your experience with your wheel (a wheel from inmotion) and where/how you bought it.

@Rywokast - thanks for your comment above.  I will try to connect with Tony here on the forum. When I am approved to send private messages, I will share my local contact info with you.

• Like 3

@DaveN Happy to share my experiences.  I've been riding for about 10 months, though I cut back in the winter.  I picked the V10f mostly because it was the cheapest (by a little bit) of the long range wheels.  I live by Tillicum and work up on Keating Cross and I wanted something that would make it to work and back on a single charge. 

It's been a great wheel to learn on,  though if you search around you'll hear a few complaints about it as you do about any wheel.  The Inmotion firmware tends to be pretty protective - it will give you speed warnings and cut back on the wheel's speed quite conservatively which can be a nuisance if you're a speed demon.  I'm still very happy with mine, and generally do 30-35 km/h for most of my ride to work.  That's plenty for me, and I'm probably not even wearing enough gear to go that speed.

I got mine from Smartwheel in Ontario, but only because I hadn't heard of Vaneuc at the time.  Everything I've heard about Vaneuc has been positive.  Smartwheel was good to me, and got me parts when I needed them (I stuffed my wheel into a concrete wall when I was trying to learn to ride backward and had to replace my headlamp assembly).

Hey, if you want to get together and see the thing and have a first try at standing on it I'd be happy to get together this weekend.  Don't expect to be able to hop on it and go, it does take some time to learn (and if I'm any guide the older you are the longer it takes!) but we could go to a park and you can try it on the grass hanging on to a fence or something.  I live on the gorge by tillicum.

I  haven't gotten on the fb group because I don't FB - sorry @Glyphs Gaming.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TonyGrayCanada said:

I just ordered a KS16X from Tom at Vaneuc, should be here next week.

awesome, jealous.. considered it a few times.. but went the the 18XL instead.. i think my next wheel will be the monster though, in the summer.. i have a v8f on the way

• Like 1

Just an update. I am now riding a V10f - thanks again to @TonyGrayCanada for getting me started, I am looking forward to hearing about your new KS16x.
My first short ride (straight line :)  )  completed completed yesterday, but boy are my inner shins bruised. Great fun. I will keep checking in periodically in the forum for the posts from others locally. See you soon.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DaveN said:

Just an update. I am now riding a V10f - thanks again to @TonyGrayCanada for getting me started, I am looking forward to hearing about your new KS16x.
My first short ride (straight line :)  )  completed completed yesterday, but boy are my inner shins bruised. Great fun. I will keep checking in periodically in the forum for the posts from others locally. See you soon.

awesome, congrats :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Justin Boivin said:

Okay! So I finally was able to save up *again* for an MSX 84v. Picking it up in Van tomorrow, stoked to be riding again!

oh man so you never had any luck finding yours? thats a shame.. glad to hear youll be getting back on though.. maybe when the hurricane season dies down a bit we could go on a group ride, perhaps next weekend?

8 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

oh man so you never had any luck finding yours? thats a shame.. glad to hear youll be getting back on though.. maybe when the hurricane season dies down a bit we could go on a group ride, perhaps next weekend?

There is a bit of a story to tell, but. Yeah I'd be down. I work Saturdays but am free on Sundays.

Edited by Justin Boivin
  • Like 2