inmotion V8 - the cosmetically challenged EUC (even inside it's pyjama)

Tilmann

As we are all rational controlled EUC enthusiasts, we bought the V8 purely for its technical qualities - not the shiny looks, right?

V8_shine.png

Ok, ok, that high gloss finish is pretty nice. And positively doomed if you dare using the wheel for what its meant for: riding.

Luckily, that thought must have occurred inmotion, too. So, they invented the EUC equivalent of jogging pants:

V8_Cover_BT.png

Besides still not protecting the pedals, this cover looks like being up to the job of protecting the shell. It is nicely padded, feels durable on the outside and soft inside. The horrible truth? Not soft enough! If you are riding with a lot of leg contact to the shell, they are sanding down that high gloss faster than I could imagine. Within less than 100km, the sides are starting to develop dull areas. 

In a desperate attempt to stop this destruction of beauty, I applied even softer material to the inside of the wheel-pyjama: self adhesive alcantara microfiber (http://www.ebay.de/itm/272282244021). Will it work? Hang in there ... I'll tell you in another couple of hundred kilometers...

26 minutes ago, Tilmann said:

that high gloss finish is pretty nice. And positively doomed if you dare using the wheel for what its meant for: riding

I think this trend of shiny, glossy EUCs is not practical. It looks cool at first, but dings or scratches will be too obvious. I appreciate the finishes on my IPS wheels (121 and 191 Lhotz), because they are scratch resistant, and when they are scratched, the matte surface makes the scratches harder to see.

Isn't it strange how we want things to be? An old chest from the 18th century that is standing almost untouched in a corner inside a temperate house should definitely not look new and shiny. Oh, no. There is absolutely something fishy about that but a vehicle that is supposed to roll outside all year exposed to scratchy pants, dirty hands, jumping dogs, rain, snow and UV-light should always look brand new.

Don't get me wrong - I like shiny. I do my best to keep my V8 at least in fair condition by putting rubber strips in all the shiny places but sometimes I think we may have gotten it wrong along the way.;)

I just ordered the v8, including pyjama's. Will try and keep the machine as pretty as can be by putting some subtle black protective strips at contact areas. Wonder how it'll go, especially since this will be my learning machine as well :P.

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered a V5F from @Jason McNeil and put some thought into how I would protect it, since eWheels was offering free handle and pajamas if I upgraded to the V5F+.  But I've been happy on the IPS Zero (which is similarly challenged) using protective tape and bumper strips (I have their application down to an art).   I'll probably do the same with the V5F.

Wrap.png

Wow Chris, looks like some serious protection on that wheel. I did get some of the same material but think about using a bit less, hopefully without reducing the effectiveness. Still waiting for my wheel. Hopefully arrives this week :) 

2 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

I just ordered a V5F from @Jason McNeil and put some thought into how I would protect it, since eWheels was offering free handle and pajamas if I upgraded to the V5F+.  But I've been happy on the IPS Zero (which is similarly challenged) using protective tape and bumper strips (I have their application down to an art).   I'll probably do the same with the V5F.

Wrap.png

i just can give the advice or. tip...to switch to the V5f+!!!!!

every cent more is worth it!

more battteriees are not only good for range...they are also important for safety!

really!

1 hour ago, Bram said:

Wow Chris, looks like some serious protection on that wheel. I did get some of the same material but think about using a bit less, hopefully without reducing the effectiveness. Still waiting for my wheel. Hopefully arrives this week :) 

Once you get the hang of it, it goes on quickly, and it really doesn't wear.  I purchased a lot of the bumper padding, as well as some reflective tape for the foot pedals from Banggood.   I think I'd rather have this than the pajamas, but if I upgrade, I suppose I could try both. 

I actually got the pajamas because it's my first EUC and though I still find it hard to believe the overwhelming evidence on youtube suggests there's a serious learning curve :P.

Once I get the hang of it I doubt I'm keeping them on and hope protect the machine and it's appearance more subtly with a few protection strips, Can't wait till it's here :)

My v8 arrived today, YAY!

I decided to put some subtle protection foam on the unit, on the top I added a thicker strip for some extra calf padding but also to test if this significantly reduces the friction between sleeve and unit. As my mileage increases I'll check if I can see the polish getting less in the middle where I didn't add extra foam protection. Keep you guys posted. below the pictures.

DSC_5252 (small).jpg

DSC_5251(small).jpg

DSC_5254 (small).jpg

DSC_5250 (small).jpg

DSC_5253 (small).jpg

On 12/4/2016 at 11:47 AM, KingSong69 said:

i just can give the advice or. tip...to switch to the V5f+!!!!!

every cent more is worth it!

more battteriees are not only good for range...they are also important for safety!

really!

OK ... I considered and decided to trade up to the V8 which is in many ways like the V5F+ but with 800w motor, lighter materials, and a bit more bling ....

6 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

OK ... I considered and decided to trade up to the V8 which is in many ways like the V5F+ but with 800w motor, lighter materials, and a bit more bling ....

I originally started on a V3pro and decided on the V8 versus the V5F+ because of the larger wheel.
(Just seems like a bigger wheel would be able to handle larger 'bumps' easier once a rider is accustomed to it.)

16 hours ago, abinder3 said:

I originally started on a V3pro and decided on the V8 versus the V5F+ because of the larger wheel.
(Just seems like a bigger wheel would be able to handle larger 'bumps' easier once a rider is accustomed to it.)

Don't know since I never owned a smaller wheel but I'm really happy with the way the v8 handles bumps. I'm a new driver and find handling them on the v8 a breeze. Looking forward to hearing if you notice the effect of the larger wheel.

Archived