VOTING IS CLOSED!!! 2016 EUC TALENT CONTEST HAS ENDED!!

Everyone's got a right to their own opinion, but sometimes that opinion is best kept to oneself.  There is wisdom in knowing when to do that.   Me, I'll put my trust with the judges of the competition to govern the contest results and to make their final decisions based on what they consider fair and based on the rules they have put into place.  I'll also trust that if they decide to give some concessions or leeway they have that right to as this contest is their baby to do with what they wish.

There's no point in slinging mud at anyone after the fact or nitpicking the details as that would just detract from the spirit of the contest which was to showcase the incredible talent that is out there and to bring strangers together to enjoy a common interest.

Rehab1 has contributed a huge amount of time and money to the contest along with the help of Jason McNeil, the moderators, and the anonymous donor so they all deserve only praise for getting it done.  Let's not detract from their efforts nor give them aggravation for their generous work.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

You can not make a bold, unsubstantiated statement like that without proof! There are numerous web sites that allow music to be downloaded  royalty free with permission!

The adults in the contest can handle this discussion but imagine what @Shoe73 kids Jimmy and Juliana are thinking! Did we cheat? What about @Toby Stevens, @WeeJ and @Tobias Olsen? Has anyone thought about their feelings regarding this controversy?

With all of the controversial issues, past and current, the enjoyment is gone and  I am glad the contest is over!

No need to worry. I know at least Jimmy and Juliana enjoyed the contest thoroughly and the pre and post contest discussions added to the drama!  

I think the discussion points people have brought up are valid, but the contest has been handled properly as far as I can tell. It's true that Hirsute is a professional performer and it looks like his video was professionally done by Inmotion. I think I read that Toby has a business deal with Airwheel too? But there was no rule against that for the contest so all good there. Hirsutes video falls within the 3 minutes if you discount the header and trailer and I believe he checked in advance if that is ok.  J&Js video is too long, my mistake that I didn't notice till after the deadline, but it didn't end up placing in contest anyway. As far as music, the 3 tracks in J&J's video are licensed under Creative Commons, Sidestreet Reny does his own music, and I can't speak for the others, but YouTube didn't block them as copyright infringements. 

It was a good contest, thank you to the organizers, donors, and participants!

@Shoe73 @kmoon my video was not done by Inmotion, or for Inmotion. I did the video myself, like all my other videos, on my computer, with my camera, filmed by friends. If it looks like professionnal, it is because i spend hours to do it and to learn alone how to edit. There is the logo of Inmotion France because i work for them since this september and i have to put their logo on all my videos.

If i do EUC with this level it's just because i train. If anyone trains 2h everyday in a little place, he will do the same. 

I've bought myself the music rights of my video because i wanted to. 

I've chosen to do the video on the very basic V5 450w 144wh to show that the important is not the wheel, but the Will and the training of the wheeler. And my goal is just to share this technique to see the EUC freestyle level growing in the world. I have began on august 2015 watching the video of Brian Thompson and Alexander Segmüller (thanks to them), and now i'm really happy when i see young people trying to do my tricks.

9 minutes ago, Hirsute said:

@Shoe73 @kmoon my video was not done by Inmotion, or for Inmotion. I did the video myself, like all my other videos, on my computer, with my camera, filmed by friends. If it looks like professionnal, it is because i spend hours to do it and to learn alone how to edit. There is the logo of Inmotion France because i work for them since this september and i have to put their logo on all my videos

That's great that you made the video yourself, I assumed because of the logo that it was professionally done by inmotion. Professional quality!

@Shoe73, just to clear up one of your points, Toby doesn’t have a business deal with airwheel. He had a very loose agreement with them a long time ago, we haven’t even heard from them this year. We allowed them to use Toby's videos and in return, once in a blue moon he would be sent a cap and even got a charger once. In fact the airwheel he currently rides was a replacement bought from them at Christmas for full price.

Toby’s only sponsorship deal is with me …… but I think that’s actually called parenthood.

I'd also like to add my thanks to the competition organisers and donaters. We had great fun squabbling and making Tobe's movie ?

Adrian (bank-roller, camera man, taxi, alarm clock, mechanic etc)

8 hours ago, Cloud said:

@kmoon judging of the contest results will be done according to the published rules of the contest. In case of controversial or questionable items, forum moderators , who have the prerogative to interpret the results, will make a decision on how to judge.

Being "overqualified" does not constitute valid grounds for one's exclusion from the contest. Damien has the right to be a contestant just like anyone else.

thank you for your concerns.

Thank you for your nice and sober response which shows that you took time to read and understand my message without interpreting it as a personal attack on anyone. 

As stated I think this is a great initiative and I hope that it will continue for many years to come. And this is where my concern lies.

The initiative and the work put into it will benefit us all by putting more focus on our passion and interest.

As for accusations, I didn't make any. I merely stated that some of the videos didn't meet the requirements, and it's not for me to decide whether this has any consequences at all. That's why I wanted to ask.

And in regards to Damien. As I said I think he's the best in the world. No doubt he's a great talent and I know that being at his level takes hours of practice every day. Again my concern is the future wellbeing of the contest, where I am concerned that up and coming talents may be hesitant to join and compete against superstars.

Oh, and I am not exactly a new member in here. I just lay low until I feel I have something contribute with.

12 hours ago, Cloud said:

Its ok @Rehab1, obviously everyone is excited and the stakes are high at the conclusion of the contest. Gotta have some controversy! Only proves that EUC is the real sport!! I know this contest is your baby, but dont take it to heart. Its ok if people have concerns or questions.

Sorry for my rants:(

6 hours ago, Hirsute said:

my goal is just to share this technique to see the EUC freestyle level growing in the world. I have began on august 2015 watching the video of Brian Thompson and Alexander Segmüller (thanks to them), and now i'm really happy when i see young people trying to do my tricks.

@Hirsute Your video submission has already captured the attention of countless people, young and old worldwide!. I have shown your amazing video to large groups children and adults and just sit back watching the joyful expressions on their faces and then listen to their excited comments: "oh wow that is amazing" or "oh my god, how does he do that?" You deserve 1st prize as do the 2nd and 3rd place winners of this competition (still to be determined).

I know you were concerned early on about what others may think about your submission and worried that your video may discourage others from entering.  You are truly a compassionate man that was always thinking of others! I am honored to know you!

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Sorry for my rant☹️

Its ok Rehab, i think we all understand the contest is a sensitive subject, you lived through every moment of it and it wasnt easy to see sometimes negative feedback which was often uncalled for. You created the contest to be a fun event and it turned out great, if you ask me. You tried very hard to make it happen and we all owe you for giving us this joy and for promoting the sport of EUC riding across the globe. Being sensitive about negative feedback is very understandable.

@Shoe73

J@Js video being too long, in my personal opinion, is not a problem. If you subtract the introduction part of it and the black screen at the end, the actual "riding video" portion of it is only 2-3 seconds longer than 3 minutes. This is where judgement comes in. The rules did not state that the videos longer than 3 minutes would necessarily be disqualified. There is plenty of " in between tricks" footage that could be cut to get rid of the extra 3 seconds without taking away from the tricks not affecting the value of the video or the number of votes. As such, the marginal extra video length should not be considered an unfair advantage.

@kmoon

As you correctly noted, not everything has to have a negative consequence. We are trying to keep this positive while operating within the established contest rules. This was a great start and who knows maybe in the future the contest will evolve and only be for "amateur" riders but this year anyone was welcome to be part of this exciting event.

10 hours ago, Hirsute said:

@Shoe73 @kmoon my video was not done by Inmotion, or for Inmotion. I did the video myself, like all my other videos, on my computer, with my camera, filmed by friends. If it looks like professionnal, it is because i spend hours to do it and to learn alone how to edit. There is the logo of Inmotion France because i work for them since this september and i have to put their logo on all my videos.

If i do EUC with this level it's just because i train. If anyone trains 2h everyday in a little place, he will do the same. 

I've chosen to do the video on the very basic V5 450w 144wh to show that the important is not the wheel, but the Will and the training of the wheeler. And my goal is just to share this technique to see the EUC freestyle level growing in the world. I have began on august 2015 watching the video of Brian Thompson and Alexander Segmüller (thanks to them), and now i'm really happy when i see young people trying to do my tricks.

Every time I watch your video it puts a smile on my face! This is proof of hard work and dedication! Good Job!

I have no complaints this time around at all! :) This is all brand new and we are literally defining this sport every single day! That is what makes us all want to do something new. It makes me happy....most of the time. lol. I actually ride alone all the time like @Jonathan Tolhurst (sure missed his video), allot of us ride alone, I think, so we challenge and compete with ourselves most of the time. This contest is the first time most all of us even had the chance to capture an audience....and that is priceless! Props to @Rehab1 and all the contributing folks for the chance.

I think the contest really seemed to go off without any real hitches, and I trust that everyone was honest. So I am kinda surprised everyone even bothered to get mad over what that dude said. I don't think they actually wanted the results to be messed with, I think they meant the future rules. I think? Imo Who cares anyway, right? All of us are fine and dandy and the contest is finished so opinions don't even matter at this point.

Btw @Hirsute I don't think you owe them answers anyway, you are the best at what you do and we all know it. Period. :) Toby and everyone else that competed are super dope too, and we know that now as well. Just like any other art form this takes practice, dedication and of course creativity and I think we all put in time and will continue to do so.

For the record I was only shooting for 2nd place ever since I met him though anyway. ;) I do think Alexander Segmüller (that's the guy in white, right?) could give a challenge next time :) But, I will practice some smooth artistic stuff as well as some super spinning. But @Hirsute I want to see some pedal slides and jumps next time. Hehe. Oh yeah, you gotta do some serious balancing on stuff like "Toby Tight Rope" (still a dope nickname!).

Props to everyone!

- Peace, Fo'real.

4 hours ago, Tishawn Fahie said:

Every time I watch your video it puts a smile on my face! This is proof of hard work and dedication! Good Job!

I have seen your videos and riding skills!  You should have entered the contest!

2 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I have seen your videos and riding skills!  You should have entered the contest!

Thank you for your kind words!

I'll be honest I thought about it - but once I saw the competition, I can honestly say with no regrets I dont poses the skills YET. But they did unearth a candle in me. I now practive everyday!

The next one I will compete..  Thank you again for your kind words!

50 minutes ago, Tishawn Fahie said:

I'll be honest I thought about it - but once I saw the competition, I can honestly say with no regrets I dont poses the skills YET

Increasing your skill level, no worries! Hidden deep within the winner's contract (who?) is verbiage stating he must provide a month's worth of free promotional EUC stunt lessons online to forum members.;)

4 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Increasing your skill level, no worries! Hidden deep within the winner's contract (who?) is verbiage stating he must provide a month's worth of free promotional EUC stunt lessons online to forum members.;)

Probably the best fine print I've Ever read....!! HAHA

2 minutes ago, Cloud said:

The suspense is killing us @Rehab1. Who is this lucky euc maestro? We know you know.  Lol :) 

Call up the Finnish gentleman, what's his name...oh ya @esaj, and tell him members are getting restless..:P 

2 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Call up the Finnish gentleman, what's his name...oh ya @esaj, and tell him members are getting restless..:P 

Its 1 am over there now. I dont want him to get startled and short a battery in the time machine or whatever it is he must be working on right now

35 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Its 1 am over there now. I dont want him to get startled and short a battery in the time machine or whatever it is he must be working on right now

Understood...do not interrupt him playing with his portal!

I forgot to thank all you guys that helped get my wheel for this thing ... @Cloud @Hirsute@trya@Rehab1@KingSong69@Jonathan Tolhurst@Keith@DS

Sorry to say my KS14b has been dead since the 28th (while filming) :( The main board (I was told it was mosfets) or the motor/gyro is messed up. I don't know if it was just mine but this thing has spent more time on the bench than in the game. I'm tired of working on it!

Pile o' 14b.gif

I have 2 batteries and a set of new pedals for the 14b but I think they fit the 16b as well if you need them.

10 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

10 hours ago, Cloud said:

Close... I apparently blew the step-down in the CNC controller with a 18k RPM motor and it now keeps burning the mosfet running the spindle. Need to first build a "make-shift" spindle-driver to get it working again, so I can design a proper new controller and mill it with the CNC itself :D

On 10/10/2016 at 10:46 PM, Hirsute said:

@Hirsute Man you are my hero! Love your attitude about life and training and everything! I hope we get to jam together someday (come to california?) 

I only just signed up for the forum when i heard about the contest so i wasn't allowed to vote, but i would have voted for you %100 of the time! Thanks for everything you've done to push the art from forward :D 

On 10/13/2016 at 1:06 PM, Brian Thompson said:

I have began on august 2015 watching the video of Brian Thompson and Alexander Segmüller (thanks to them), and now i'm really happy when i see young people trying to do my tricks.

I watched those guys too and also want to thank them. Watching those guys and anyone else I could find while I was first learning back in January 2016, also other folks like GookGai, all the eWheel Motion videos and this kid Sergio from Spain and any amazing person I could find. I would watch them over and over and over again. And more recently I loved and still like watching you my friend I think I would watch if you were on a broken roller skate...they make me smile everytime.

On 10/10/2016 at 10:46 PM, Hirsute said:

Practice makes perfect...or sometimes practice makes booboo's too. Haha. I spend 1 hour riding and 1 hour hurting myself every day. ;) 

I keep forgetting that you were (are) an amazing circus performer with crazy feats of balance, danger and strength. I have been watching you ride that damn spinning thing with the girl and all your other circus videos since I first found you. When are going to put the wheel on one of those things while it's spinning? :) Props to you for all you do @Hirsute!!

If anybody didn't know he was that gnarly, you gotta see these videos....

Archived