Inmotion V8 Prototype Disassembly Review

Jason McNeil

15 minutes ago, Chriull said:

They did not fix the Mosfets with screws to the heatsink as it seems from the picture - i hope this is only with the prototype! Can the PCB sanely press the Mosfets mechanically good and evenly enough to give nice thermal contact from the mosfet to the heatsink through the insulation foil? The transition from the mosfet to the heatsink (thermal insulation foil,etc...) is the most crucial part which can destroy any other measures easily... ;(

Also the mosfets are as at all other wheels on one side at the border of the heatsink - so most  of the heatsink is very inefficiently used...

Yip! Did not recognize that....Screwed would be better i think...Looks like glued with heatpaste...

@Jason McNeil Here in this Video they have no Problem to get the Shell off:

6 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Yip! Did not recognize that....Screwed would be better i think...Looks like glued with heatpaste...

Seems from the picture that the mosfets are squeezed between the pcb and the heatsink (there are screws after each pair of mosfets). Thermal paste and an insulating thermal foil is imho contraproductive...

14 hours ago, houseofjob said:

All good Jason, but now makes even less sense to me all this LED complaining.

It makes perfect sense - customers are actually "forced" to purchase the wheels with features they don't want or like as there is so few wheel currently on the market fulfilling at least partially their requirments so they need to either compromise or stay without the wheel whatsoever. And indeed the only way to improve this poor state is to complain in a hope that at least some manufacturers will finally listen. As long as we as customers will keep silently accepting all the nonsense and most of all production issues and bugs the manufacturers will not improve on their own. And "Western" customers indeed includes also whole Europe where in some counties (like Germany) it's pretty risky to run with "circus" wheels like this.

While adding the LED lights might seem as a trivial task it's actually not. Designing both inner and outter shell, having an additional circuit to controll the LED stripes and all the software developement to controll them costs money, time and other resources for (litelarly) a "bling" feature with zero impact on practical usability of the actual wheel and I stand behind my believe that IM is lacking in market research in this point, Would you buy a bike or car looking like freeking christmas tree? If you would good for you but I wouldn't for sure. There is a great difference between those two markets and if IM feels or is sure that for Eastern market it's necessary to have al the bling than it should maybe produce two versions of the wheel and let customers chose to see which one would sell more in which region. I've really admired their marvelous design of V5F series and this change of the trend saddens me a bit :(

1 minute ago, HEC said:

It makes perfect sense - customers are actually "forced" to purchase the wheels 

No one forces you or I to purchase anything, just like how I have held off purchasing the V8 for some of the reasons you've actually stated.

3 minutes ago, HEC said:

Would you buy a bike or car looking like freeking christmas tree? If you would good for you but I wouldn't for sure. 

You kind of already have, in the EUC realm at least, with your KS-16 and V8 preorder. I'm not sure a message is sent when you're still giving these companies money...

36 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

No one forces you or I to purchase anything, just like how I have held off purchasing the V8 for some of the reasons you've actually stated.

You kind of already have, in the EUC realm at least, with your KS-16 and V8 preorder. I'm not sure a message is sent when you're still giving these companies money...

First of all - you've left out an importatnt bit of your quote:

42 minutes ago, HEC said:

It makes perfect sense - customers are actually "forced" to purchase the wheels with features they don't want or like as there is so few wheel currently on the market fulfilling at least partially their requirments so they need to either compromise or stay without the wheel whatsoever.

And again - yes I'm and early adopter and hence my complains - fact that I already have or ordered the wheel should not lead to be passive / complacent and simply to give up on any improvements ;) And luckilly in majority of non-EUC realm as you've put it I already have the choice and where the choice is currently mising I'll fight for an improvement. That's what all the "complains" are about. The point is that "defending" imperfect products just because I'm the owner of the product or customer of the company is IMO wrong and (at least in theory) as a paying customer I shall have more to say about company products than others ... Anyway - no point to argue over different oppinions here. If none of that bothers you I respect that and good for you - simply let others to disagree / have different point of view ;) 

10 minutes ago, HEC said:

The point is that "defending" imperfect products just because I'm the owner of the product or customer of the company is IMO wrong

I'm not defending anything, just making observations, especially where the logic does not add up to me. Still doesn't. But we'll agree to disagree ; )

21 minutes ago, Keith said:

@Jason McNeil, so what is the tire width on the V8 you received? I guess that isn't likely to change on the production version.

I'm trying to get an idea how well it is likely to perform off road.

the V8 is announced with 1.95 ....not 2.125 like the most wheels :-(

8 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

the V8 is announced with 1.95 ....not 2.125 like the most wheels

The 2.5 tire of the IPS191 is so successful, I am very surprised other companies continue to use narrower tires.

• 4 months later...
On 10/08/2016 at 6:28 PM, HEC said:

having an additional circuit to controll the LED stripes and all the software developement to controll them costs money, time and other resources for (litelarly) a "bling" feature with zero impact on practical usability of the actual wheel and I stand behind my believe that IM is lacking in market research in this point, Would you buy a bike or car looking like freeking christmas tree? If you would good for you but I wouldn't for sure. There is a great difference between those two markets and if IM feels or is sure that for Eastern market it's necessary to have al the bling than it should maybe produce two versions of the wheel

On the one hand you complain about the lost resources, but on the other hand you suggest they should produce a different model to satisfy your specific preferences, which, I am sure, will take away even more resources.

I am also not a fan of LED Christmas lights, but I can see the positive side: they lead to better visibility and hence improved safety, and that is true regardless of whether the local law allows them or not. If you don't like them or are afraid of the police, you do have the choice to turn them off. To ask for a model where you cannot even turn them on at all is maybe a little too much. 

Archived