Just got my pair of ACM today

Very nice! Most people buy one at a time. Now were talking...duals! Please send some photos and videos of your review trials!

That bottom bracket on the trolley still looks flimsy, I'll definitely be interested in your opinions on that. If you get a chance, take out one of the screws for the bracket and let us see how big/long it is. They can't be too deep since they just anchor into the plastic.

10 hours ago, dmethvin said:

That bottom bracket on the trolley still looks flimsy, I'll definitely be interested in your opinions on that. If you get a chance, take out one of the screws for the bracket and let us see how big/long it is. They can't be too deep since they just anchor into the plastic.

acmscrewlength.jpg

Okay I had a chance to actually ride the ACM for a few hours today.  I have set the unit on the hardest setting, turned off "alarm 1" and "alarm2", set the tilt-back at 33 km/h.  In general it feels very solid.  Acceleration power from standstill (or from slow speeds) feels about the same between the KS16 and the ACM.  I have tested the Gotway app that was given to me by boss Lin, and to my surprise, with one hand holding a GPS speedometer app and one hand the Gotway app the speeds are more or less identical from around 10 km/h up to around 26 km/h which was as fast I have gone.  I couldn't go faster for two reasons.  1) Too many pedestrians, e-bicycles, dogs, child carriages in the city.  2) I'm chickenshit (especially since this 12 mosfet version hasn't had much testing done by a lot of people).  One thing of note is that the app kept crashing on me like every minute on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 with latest official firmware (phone not rooted).

Two weird things did happen to me today with the ACM.  When I tried to adjust my backpack (while riding at around 20 km/h) my upper body movement caused the acm to get into a "wobble" and I almost fell off but luckily I got it back under control.  Obviously this is just physics and probably can happen to any wheel, however, it seemed like it's a bit easier to trigger the "wobble" on my ACM than on any of my other wheels.  Another weird thing that happened is when I was holding two eucs by the trolley (while stationary) with one hand, suddenly the acm started moving forward. Even after I quickly held ONLY the ACM trolley with one hand I couldn't get it back under control and it started doing circles until I had to let go.  I was calm and perfectly aware it was going forward so I tried to apply "backward pressure" but it still kept going.  Got a slight bruise on my ankle.  I hope this was just some really strange anomaly and not something I would have to worry about when riding or when holding the trolley properly.

Unfortunately there were no 20+ degree hills nearby today so I couldn't do climbing tests (which is what I'm most interested in testing out).  The only thing close were 30+ degree staircase ramps (about one foot wide and in the middle of the staircase) but I couldn't test on those either because 1) too many people using the staircase, 2) too narrow without something to hold onto (since the narrow ramp is in the middle) if anything bad happens.  Welp that's it for now.  Hope others can chime in if they've experience any of the "weird" things I mentioned above.

On 23/06/2016 at 0:11 PM, John Eucist said:

Okay I had a chance to actually ride the ACM for a few hours today.  I have set the unit on the hardest setting, turned off "alarm 1" and "alarm2", set the tilt-back at 33 km/h.  In general it feels very solid.  Acceleration power from standstill (or from slow speeds) feels about the same between the KS16 and the ACM.  I have tested the Gotway app that I was given to me by boss Lin, and to my surprise, with one hand holding a GPS speedometer app and one hand the Gotway app the speeds are more or less identical from around 10 km/h up to around 26 km/h which was as fast I have gone.  I couldn't go faster for two reasons.  1) Too many pedestrians, e-bicycles, dogs, child carriages in the city.  2) I'm chickenshit (especially since this 12 mosfet version hasn't had much testing done by a lot of people).  One thing of note is that the app kept crashing on me like every minute on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 with latest official firmware (phone not rooted).

Two weird things did happen to me today with the ACM.  When I tried to adjust my backpack (while riding at around 20 km/h) my upper body movement caused the acm to get into a "wobble" and I almost fell off but luckily I got it back under control.  Obviously this is just physics and probably can happen to any wheel, however, it seemed like it's a bit easier to trigger the "wobble" on my ACM than on any of my other wheels.  Another weird thing that happened is when I was holding two eucs by the trolley (while stationary) with one hand, suddenly the acm started moving forward. Even after I quickly held ONLY the ACM trolley with one hand I couldn't get it back under control and it started doing circles until I had to let go.  I was calm and perfectly aware it was going forward so I tried to apply "backward pressure" but it still kept going.  Got a slight bruise on my ankle.  I hope this was just some really strange anomaly and not something I would have to worry about when riding or when holding the trolley properly.

Unfortunately there were no 20+ degree hills nearby today so I couldn't do climbing tests (which is what I'm most interested in testing out).  The only thing close were 30+ degree staircase ramps (about one foot wide and in the middle of the staircase) but I couldn't test on those either because 1) too many people using the staircase, 2) too narrow without something to hold onto (since the narrow ramp is in the middle) if anything bad happens.  Welp that's it for now.  Hope others can chime in if they've experience any of the "weird" things I mentioned above.

I haven't tested the Gotway speed vs GPS yet but I have gone out using Endomondo to monitor my speeds and the fastest I went was 19.5mph on a long, fairly flat part along the canal. I am presuming the Gotway app would have been the same/very close because I had tilt back set to to 20.5mph and it didn't kick in.

I also don't leave the Gotway app running so am unable to confirm if it crashes for me or not.

I too have noticed the odd wobble being triggered but wasn't sure if it was just me not being fully used to the ACM yet.

As for your ACM moving forward I have two possible ideas. 1 - Your ACM needs calibrating or 2 - maybe the trolley handle is weighing it down at the front making it move forwards? I doubt it should be that so maybe it's the calibrating.

I currently have my ACM set to Medium mode with the 1st and 2nd alarms disabled and tilt back set to 17mph (27kmh) because the tilt back kicks in quite softly but tilts more as you accelerate of the speed meaning I'll be notice it properly around 20mph which is more than fast enough.

Acceleration and speed are very smooth and how it keeps accelerating up hills is fantastic. Initially I struggled with a hill to my daughters school but with mt big sturdy boots it's much easier :) 

As mine was delivered last week I possibly have the same new board you have I have the old board - confirmed when I opened the ACM. Other than the strange flip it did on me (and the soft rubber grip on the pedals wearing already) I haven't had any problems and I get a more positive response riding it than I got on my Ninebot  :D

On 23. Juni 2016 at 4:14 AM, John Eucist said:

acmscrewlength.jpg

And in the top it goes also in the compartment and hopefully hit no cables.

Why not having nuts in the shell? Than using metric screws in the right length would make it beautiful. 

This is still a after sales part not developed with the ACM. This needs to be integrated like on KS16, which is this case the benchmark.

1 hour ago, OliverH said:

And in the top it goes also in the compartment and hopefully hit no cables.

Why not having nuts in the shell? Than using metric screws in the right length would make it beautiful. 

This is still a after sales part not developed with the ACM. This needs to be integrated like on KS16, which is this case the benchmark.

Yeah using nuts on the other end would have been better.  However, it can't be done on the top part of the trolley because the case is closed, unless the nuts are held in place inside the case even without the bolt.

59 minutes ago, John Eucist said:

Yeah using nuts on the other end would have been better.  However, it can't be done on the top part of the trolley because the case is closed, unless the nuts are held in place inside the case even without the bolt.

The nuts can be placed in the ABS shell itself: 

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/injection-molding-knurled-insert-nut-threaded_1476545658.html

The nuts should definitely be "captured" somehow, if they came loose they would either be lost (at the bottom) or fall into the control board area (at the top, even worse)!

Even better would be a metal bracket with threaded holes or captured nuts, that would spread out the stress and reduce the chance a crash would crack the case. I suspect a crash would just strip the screws right out of those holes right now.

15 hours ago, dmethvin said:

The nuts should definitely be "captured" somehow, if they came loose they would either be lost (at the bottom) or fall into the control board area (at the top, even worse)!

Even better would be a metal bracket with threaded holes or captured nuts, that would spread out the stress and reduce the chance a crash would crack the case. I suspect a crash would just strip the screws right out of those holes right now.

The control board is actually at the bottom near the pedal with a big battery either side at the top.

I know this from opening my ACM to check which version of the control board I have. To be able to open the side of the case I had to first remove the pedal.

Warning for anyone who opens the ACM case - Be very careful. I put the screws back in and only slightly tightened them and TWO have snapped while out riding! The head to one of the screws stuck, like a magnet, to the side of the ACM. The other I only noticed had snapped when I went to take the side of the case off to get a picture of the board.

On 6/26/2016 at 11:08 PM, TremF said:

Warning for anyone who opens the ACM case - Be very careful. I put the screws back in and only slightly tightened them and TWO have snapped while out riding! The head to one of the screws stuck, like a magnet, to the side of the ACM. The other I only noticed had snapped when I went to take the side of the case off to get a picture of the board.

Like the head is stripped off, but the body is still in the standoff? I had this happen to a number of screws in my ACM unfortunately, they're very weak. I think I need to get a new shell now.

2 minutes ago, Kevin Grandon said:

Like the head is stripped off, but the body is still in the standoff? I had this happen to a number of screws in my ACM unfortunately, they're very weak. I think I need to get a new shell now.

Exactly this. It looks like we have found another fault with the ACM's... So far they have had to make the heatsink bigger, change the control board all together and add a fuse?, change wiring thickness, change the rubber grips in the pedals and now screw heads are snapping off.

I have only had two screws snap so far (at last check) so my sides are holding still. I wonder how much a new casing would be? Once my issues with it dropping on me before I even get going are sorted it would be nice to replace the case that has been scratched in the process. With my Ninebot the scratches were at least my fault lol

So I had a chance yesterday to compare the ACM with the KS16 at a modest slope of about 15 degrees.  I still can't tell which one has more torque for climbing from standstill because I just discovered that the ACM pedals are significantly shorter than the KS16.  When the pedals are shorter it's harder to get the leverage to accelerate.  I recall someone showing their modded ACM pedals to make them longer but forgot where it was posted.  I'm sure that mod would really help for hill climbs.

Archived