Purchase advice: Gotway MCM4 HS vs. Ninebot E+

Kimball

So Ive been lurking these forums last couple of weeks, newly bought a "re-branded" Jking F150-wheel (Orb Wheel X2 @ 240$ with 2y local warranty) which has been treating me well and all, no accidents so far, but Im a bit worried about it in the long run because of the motor and my 95kgs, Id really like to avoid face-planting if possible.

Ive also found that this wheel tilts back alot at rather low speeds (around 10km/h). The site where I bought it in Sweden specs it to max. 18km/h, but from what Ive found on the chinese sites max speed is about 15km/h or so, Im not sure when the warning beep sets in (Ive only heard it once since Im kind of worried about it), but my guess is the warning beep is around 12km/h as with the Airwheel X3, maybe?

So Ive been thinking about upgrading. King Song would be ideal, but they're really expensive around this region, so Ive come down to:

Ninebot E+ 320Wh @ http://www.speedyfeet.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Ninebot-One-E-Plus&CartID=1 which comes down to ~990$ incl shipping to Sweden and 2 year warranty (cheapest one in Sweden is 1200$..)

Gotway MCM4 HS:

340Wh @ 890$, or 520Wh @ 1000$

Ive read alot about both models around here and elsewhere, and I cant really come to a conclusion by myself. Some has reported problems with Gotway, overall there seem to be a little more cons about this model vs. Ninebot around (except for that firmware fiasco?), but with the Gotway I would get a little more speed and either cheaper unit or ~61% more battery pawer at the same price. Ninebot does look alot better though imho, but thats not really a decisive factor here.

The Gotway would be from a Swedish retailer, which would make it easier with warranties (not sure if its 1 or 2 year though), but of course Im hoping I wont have to "use" the warranty at all.

So, inputs? All feedback is appreciated. :)

Although I just recently bought a Ninebot One E+, I might recommend getting the Gotway if they are priced similarly where you are.  In my case the Ninebot was about $500 (?) cheaper than the MCM4 ($1000 from myfunwheel.com) so it was a no brainer.  

If you have some hills or climbing to do in your area I wonder if the regular MCM4 would be a more balanced choice unless you're a speed demon then go for the HS.  I do hear that for high speed you have to compromise a little in the hill climbing torque department (?) due to differences in motor windings.  How much difference that is I don't have any personal experience.  Has anyone done a direct comparison between the MCM4 and MCM4 HS?  Maybe @John Eucist?

Keep in mind though that the Ninebot has a 16" wheel and the MCM4 has a 14" wheel I believe so going over large bumps may be a little trickier with the smaller wheel.  The Ninebot is also quite heavy at 32 lbs to carry.  I don't know how much the MCM4 weighs.  One other wheel to consider on the short list might be the KS16 or ACM which I believe has a 16" wheel and are quite capable as well.  Oh yeah don't forget the IPS 191 Xima Lhotz.

3 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

It must have been a different wheel as I thought that I recalled seeing you post a photo of a couple cardboard boxes of some wheels but one was a different version.

The memory's not as good as it used to be. :rolleyes:

That was MSUPER1 days I think.  Either that or it's someone else who posted it.  OR perhaps... my memory is worse than yours. :D

mcm4 was version 1....to low pedals...to less speed....tyre on high pressure scratching in the case...:-(

mcm4 Hs is version 2 ...pedal 1 cm more high...faster....

but if you are a "high weighted" guy, above 85kg or more i would not recommend it...

i have driven the mcm4hs and with a certain speed ...belonging from your weight...it feels perfect untill this certain speed, like a hard core stiff pedal, but then.....after getting over this weight related high speed.... the motor feels like having an egg inside and pedals becoming slightly wobbly...and "short" before an shut off, feels like!!! for me even....

i felt much more safe on the mcm2s at over 20kmh than on the mcm4 hs....

and that is not alone my experience....

And again: i am not related to KS in Any way!!!! for example i really love the mcm2s and msuper!! but i hate the mcm4 in all variations

58 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Although I just recently bought a Ninebot One E+, I might recommend getting the Gotway if they are priced similarly where you are.  In my case the Ninebot was about $500 (?) cheaper than the MCM4 ($1000 from myfunwheel.com) so it was a no brainer.  

If you have some hills or climbing to do in your area I wonder if the regular MCM4 would be a more balanced choice unless you're a speed demon then go for the HS.  I do hear that for high speed you have to compromise a little in the hill climbing torque department (?) due to differences in motor windings.  How much difference that is I don't have any personal experience.  Has anyone done a direct comparison between the MCM4 and MCM4 HS?  Maybe @John Eucist?

Keep in mind though that the Ninebot has a 16" wheel and the MCM4 has a 14" wheel I believe so going over large bumps may be a little trickier with the smaller wheel.  The Ninebot is also quite heavy at 32 lbs to carry.  I don't know how much the MCM4 weighs.  One other wheel to consider on the short list might be the KS16 or ACM which I believe has a 16" wheel and are quite capable as well.  Oh yeah don't forget the IPS 191 Xima Lhotz.

I dont need to climb hills that most EUCs can manage (my current F150 has taken on, imho, steep enough hills, so Id assume everything would be easier with any other wheel :)

I actually havent noticed Ninebot is 16" until you mentioned it, totally missed it. Should give a little smoother ride vs. 14" which isnt a bad thing, and I cant think 16" would be alot harder getting used to vs. 14"?

Whats the perfect "cruising" speed on the Ninebot One E+? Since max is about 22km/h I guess first warning would be around 12km/h? Is it annoying going faster because of the beeps?

KS16 costs a fortune around here (+1400-1700$) so its not an option unfortunately.

27 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

mcm4 was version 1....to low pedals...to less speed....tyre on high pressure scratching in the case...:-(

mcm4 Hs is version 2 ...pedal 1 cm more high...faster....

but if you are a "high weighted" guy, above 85kg or more i would not recommend it...

i have driven the mcm4hs and with a certain speed ...belonging from your weight...it feels perfect untill this certain speed, like a hard core stiff pedal, but then.....after getting over this weight related high speed.... the motor feels like having an egg inside and pedals becoming slightly wobbly...and "short" before an shut off, feels like!!! for me even....

i felt much more safe on the mcm2s at over 20kmh than on the mcm4 hs....

and that is not alone my experience....

And again: i am not related to KS in Any way!!!! for example i really love the mcm2s and msuper!! but i hate the mcm4 in all variations

That doesnt sound very promising. I wont have the opportunity to try each wheel before I buy it, so the pedal height and so on will just have to do. I wonder if any wheel is better at handling heavier users (+90kg) though?

1 hour ago, yourtoys7 said:

Personally I would go for, Gotway mcm4 520Wh, and specially that its local as well, warranty claims if needed.

Yeah the local warranty could be a really big pro, sending 14kg from Sweden to UK in case Id need to use the warranty would cost alot. Is there any statistics anywhere regarding how often warranty claims has been made on different models? Im thinking maybe the forum has had any polls about it?

Others may disagree, but I found learning to ride on my 14" generic wheel much harder than on the 16" Ninebot.  I don't know if it's just the additional weight or larger pedals, but I don't find much difficulty starting from a stop on the Ninebot whereas there seems to be more twisting compensation on my 14" when I start rolling.  Someone compared the Ninebot to a big Mercedes, and yes I tend to agree.  It's heavier and pretty stable at speed.  Going over iregularities in the road doesn't bother it as much.

I travel mostly at about 11 to 12 kph due to irregular road conditions and for safety.   I have yet to hear any beeps from my Ninebot even at 22 kph or slightly higher so it's a pretty quiet wheel with my firmware 1.2.5.  I think the maximum speed on a full charge may be more like 25-26 kph just before faceplant?  I've only had two rides on mine so far so maybe someone else can comment.

The Gotway ACM and Msuper might be some other wheels to consider.  I think the Msuper is an 18" wheel though.

@Kimball what is your :

1. Weigh

2. Desired minimum range on a charge

3. Terrain you are going to be riding. Also hills or no hills?

4. Desired max speed

5. Preferred wheel size. If no oreferred wheel size then do you favor agility over smoothness of ride or the opposite?

6 budget

47 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Others may disagree, but I found learning to ride on my 14" generic wheel much harder than on the 16" Ninebot.  I don't know if it's just the additional weight or larger pedals, but I don't find much difficulty starting from a stop on the Ninebot whereas there seems to be more twisting compensation on my 14" when I start rolling.  Someone compared the Ninebot to a big Mercedes, and yes I tend to agree.  It's heavier and pretty stable at speed.  Going over iregularities in the road doesn't bother it as much.

I travel mostly at about 11 to 12 kph due to irregular road conditions and for safety.   I have yet to hear any beeps from my Ninebot even at 22 kph or slightly higher so it's a pretty quiet wheel with my firmware 1.2.5.  I think the maximum speed on a full charge may be more like 25-26 kph just before faceplant?  I've only had two rides on mine so far so maybe someone else can comment.

The Gotway ACM and Msuper might be some other wheels to consider.  I think the Msuper is an 18" wheel though.

Sounds just about how I was assuming, the bigger the better.

30 minutes ago, Cloud said:

@Kimball what is your :

1. Weigh

2. Desired minimum range on a charge

3. Terrain you are going to be riding. Also hills or no hills?

4. Desired max speed

5. Preferred wheel size. If no oreferred wheel size then do you favor agility over smoothness of ride or the opposite?

6 budget

I probably should have been a little more detailed indeed:

95kg

At least 15km (I think Im getting about 7-8-ish on my 132Wh now? Havent measured exactly yet)

Mostly plain with a hill now and then

I would like comfortable cruising speed around 15-18km/h

My current is 14", and I dont really have a problem with it, but I guess it can always be smoother? Is turning and so on affected alot by bigger wheel?

Budget is a problem since I live in Sweden, I would like to keep it around or below 900 USD, wouldnt hurt if it where less though. Buying electronics in USA is dirty cheap compared to here...

35 minutes ago, Kimball said:

Sounds just about how I was assuming, the bigger the better.

I probably should have been a little more detailed indeed:

95kg

At least 15km (I think Im getting about 7-8-ish on my 132Wh now? Havent measured exactly yet)

Mostly plain with a hill now and then

I would like comfortable cruising speed around 15-18km/h

My current is 14", and I dont really have a problem with it, but I guess it can always be smoother? Is turning and so on affected alot by bigger wheel?

Budget is a problem since I live in Sweden, I would like to keep it around or below 900 USD, wouldnt hurt if it where less though. Buying electronics in USA is dirty cheap compared to here...

Ok, so lets narrow it down then. You need battery 340 wh or nore, id recommend 540 or more. Rule is - always go for more battery than you think you will need.

motor power 500 or more, and id go with 800w

max speed low 20s or more 

based on what you said - dont go with 18" wheels. Or very heavy 16" . Yes ability to turn changes with weight/ size. So its 14 or 16

not sure what the prices there are but here are your choices :

gotway mcm4 540wh

inmotion v5+ ( not sure if the oedals are big enough though)

Inmotionv5 ( but battery may be not large enough for you)

Ninebot e+

Kingsong 14c (540 wh)

ips zero ( no trolley handle for this wheel thhough) and max battery option is 340wh

ips Lhotz ( battery may not be sufficient)

id say, dont go with acm16 or ks16 - although if you can get a 540wh version, might want to consider

i think, your first instinct was right. Your best bet may be gotway mcm4 or ninebot e+ especially due to the lowering prices. But you should probably try to get a battery higher than 340. 

See if you can get a ks14" with 540wh or the new inmotion v5+, if you can afford it.

43 minutes ago, Cloud said:Ok, so lets narrow it down then. You need battery 340 wh or nore, id recommend 540 or more. Rule is - always go for more battery than you think you will need.

based on what you said - dont go with 18" wheels. Or very heavy 16" . Yes ability to turn changes with weight/ size. So its 14 or 16

gotway mcm4 540wh

Ninebot e+

Kingsong 14c (540 wh)

ips zero ( no trolley handle for this wheel thhough) and max battery option is 340wh

id say, dont go with acm16 or ks16 - although if you can get a 540wh version, might want to consider

i think, your first instinct was right. Your best bet may be gotway mcm4 or ninebot e+ especially due to the lowering prices. But you should probably try to get a battery higher than 340. 

See if you can get a ks14" with 540wh or the new inmotion v5+, if you can afford it.

i agree to a 800watt motor, especialy if you are 95kg plus...

but that would rule out the inmotion v5f (plus or not) as it is 550 watt .... and the ips zero(500watt max...or 350?)

in a price range up to 1000 dollars there are left:

ks 14c 520wh

mcm4 520wh 

ips lhotz 340wh

i would recommend ks14c 340wh.....which you get everyhere for 900 euro...

if you like it you can later upgrade to 680wh or even 754wh....

or you get the cheapest ninebot eplus....which you can (newest option on 1radwerkstatt) also upgrade to 680wh by getting new "sidepacks".....

mcm4hs i would not recommend because of its fancy "highspeed" behavior...gotway has really done better wheels...than better a mcm2s with 680wh....

I'm pretty happy with my mcm4hs so far, typically riding around 25km/h and hardly ever reaching the speed limits. initially experienced some wobbles like ones reported above, but i figured it was due to the new tire (deflating and reinflating helped) and me needing to get used to the wheel. for the first week or two i found it hard to get used to the softer control and lower pedals than on my generic, but now it all feels perfect. @87kg no problems with acceleration, hills and stability.

on the minus side, there are some annoyances: poor app with inflated speeds, flimsy trolley handle, despite improvement from v1- still rather low pedals, annoying beeps on power up and shut down, ugly light effects and lack of basic illumination mode (front-white, rear-red & minimal battery indication).

can't compare to the ninebot or other 16 inchers. i've tried the msuper (18inch) and felt way too bulky for me. 14kg is also the max i'd want to carry around. besides, 22km/h of nb sounds like juuuust a bit to slow. my top speed (real, not gw inflated app speed) was over 30km and even if you don't reach it often, it's good to know you can if needed.

3 hours ago, Kimball said:

Whats the perfect "cruising" speed on the Ninebot One E+? Since max is about 22km/h I guess first warning would be around 12km/h? Is it annoying going faster because of the beeps?

I cruise easily up to 14 mph (22kph) without any beeps or tilt back in my Ninebot E+. I haven't pushed it faster than that because that is my about my comfort limit and tend to be cautious. I understand the pedals are supposed to tilt back at 15mph warning you to slow down. 

22 hours ago, Cloud said:

Ok, so lets narrow it down then. You need battery 340 wh or nore, id recommend 540 or more. Rule is - always go for more battery than you think you will need.

gotway mcm4 540wh

Ninebot e+

Kingsong 14c (540 wh)

ACM16 & KS16 is kind of out the price range here in Sweden :(

gotway mcm4 540wh would put me about the same as Ninebot E+, even a little less, but a 16" wheel feels like it would be a good investment, I do get "stiff feet" from riding my JKING wheel more than +4km or so, not a problem, but more comfort wouldnt hurt.

21 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

i agree to a 800watt motor, especialy if you are 95kg plus...

but that would rule out the inmotion v5f (plus or not) as it is 550 watt .... and the ips zero(500watt max...or 350?)

in a price range up to 1000 dollars there are left:

ks 14c 520wh

mcm4 520wh 

ips lhotz 340wh

i would recommend ks14c 340wh.....which you get everyhere for 900 euro...

if you like it you can later upgrade to 680wh or even 754wh....

or you get the cheapest ninebot eplus....which you can (newest option on 1radwerkstatt) also upgrade to 680wh by getting new "sidepacks".....

mcm4hs i would not recommend because of its fancy "highspeed" behavior...gotway has really done better wheels...than better a mcm2s with 680wh....

KS14C does look like a good competitor as well, though it would be ~20$more expensive vs. Gotway mcm4 540wh..

21 hours ago, Tomek said:

I'm pretty happy with my mcm4hs so far, typically riding around 25km/h and hardly ever reaching the speed limits. initially experienced some wobbles like ones reported above, but i figured it was due to the new tire (deflating and reinflating helped) and me needing to get used to the wheel. for the first week or two i found it hard to get used to the softer control and lower pedals than on my generic, but now it all feels perfect. @87kg no problems with acceleration, hills and stability.

on the minus side, there are some annoyances: poor app with inflated speeds, flimsy trolley handle, despite improvement from v1- still rather low pedals, annoying beeps on power up and shut down, ugly light effects and lack of basic illumination mode (front-white, rear-red & minimal battery indication).

can't compare to the ninebot or other 16 inchers. i've tried the msuper (18inch) and felt way too bulky for me. 14kg is also the max i'd want to carry around. besides, 22km/h of nb sounds like juuuust a bit to slow. my top speed (real, not gw inflated app speed) was over 30km and even if you don't reach it often, it's good to know you can if needed.

21 hours ago, Shoe73 said:

I cruise easily up to 14 mph (22kph) without any beeps or tilt back in my Ninebot E+. I haven't pushed it faster than that because that is my about my comfort limit and tend to be cautious. I understand the pedals are supposed to tilt back at 15mph warning you to slow down. 

This really is a tough one, because of the price points I have available in Sweden its narrowed down to:

Ninebot E+ 320Wh - 990$ - UK warranty 24 months

KS14C 340Wh - 900 EUR / 1015$ - Somewhere in europe warranty 12 or 24 month?

Gotway MCM4 HS 540wh - 995$ - Local 12 or 24 month warranty, need to double check

Gotway MCM4 HS 340wh - 870$ - Local 12 or 24 month warranty, need to double check

Ninebot does look more fancy vs. the others, but I dont really want that to decide anything even if it doesnt hurt having something shiney and beautiful if I am upgrading.. :D

The 800w motor would be in order for me to accelerate better / faster and up hills, right? I do understand it would probably feel... snappier (?) vs. a 500w motor?

Bleh, this is so hard, and I appreciate all inputs alot! I think the local warranty, as mentioned earlier, is worth quite a lot if something, for some reason, where to break for no reason..

33 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

How much is the IPS Xima Lhotz in Sweden?

If you don't mind the 14" wheel the Gotway MCM4 sounds like a good choice.  Going to 16" maybe the Ninebot or IPS Lhotz?

Its +1000USD unfortunately. The market isnt very big here so no one in Sweden is selling it, cheapest EUR price i found was about 1015$. If only I lived in the US, buying a friggin Ninebot E+ from Forwardca at ~499$ would be such a dream. Darnit..

@Kimball If it helps your decision at all, I would personally never get a wheel that has an 800W nominal motor combined with a battery cell count as low as a ~320-340wH pack, as evidenced by all the issues experienced with the Ninebot One P Pro (800W motor, 360wH battery).

That would rule out the MCM4 HS 340wH and, if the KS-14C you list is the 800W motor version (there is a 500W version as well), the KS-14C 340wH.

Good 800W wheels with enough battery cells to support all that power tend to cost ~$1200 and up.

I actually think a Ninebot One (E+ or S2) would suit your needs nicely, especially considering price and the specs of the wheel you are coming from. Firmware issues only occur when you blindly upgrade without knowing what you are upgrading to. The process is manual, initiated by the user, so just don't do upgrades until you confirm with multiple sources. 

I've got the Orbwheel from teknik magasinet as well when it was on sale for 1999 SEK and I can asure you that anything you'll buy will be better than this cheap rattling plasticy EUC ;)

I doubt though that with your weight you've managed to squeze more than 5 or 6 km range out of it even riding very slow and on flat. If you taller then even less. For your required commuting / riding distance, weight and considering large amount of windy days decreasing your range dramatically you'd need at least 320 - 340 Wh battery as minimum, preferably though 540+. The same goes for sustained motor power rating. 500 W is the bare minimum, I'd say for the safety at least 550 - 560, if posible aim for 800 W motor. Few bumps or deep dives on bike lanes transiting down to road on the crossings and you'll be glad to have the extra  power to keep you upright. Finally with higher weight and larger feet you shall aim for large peddals as the feet get cramped on small ones during longer rides.

Another thing to consider is that while you might be happy with initial max range of 12 - 15 km as you'll ride more you'll find out very soon that you have never enough battery capacity / range and you'll be wishing for more. I speak from my own experience here. While I don't need more than about 5 - 6 km range for my daily commute and most of the times I can make both trips on one charge unless it's too windy once I'll go for leisure ride I end up having prematurely cutting my trip and heading home on low speed praying I'll make it back before battery completely drains.

Despite your budget limitation I'd still consider geting KS 16 (1175 GBP delivered including free pickups in case of warranty) even if that would mean saving a bit longer for it and get it a bit later as in long run it would save you the hassle of "upgrading" unsuitable EUC later on down the road. If you though aim to have the new wheel soon for this summer it's a tough choice. I've ordered KS 16 for all the reasons mentioned above as I've got finally tired of limited range.

I think @FORWARD california does ship internationally as far as I know, but I don't know after shipping and import duties costs whether there's any savings versus buying locally.  They do have some limited blue editions for $449 which does bring things down further.  You can always paint/vinyl wrap/Plastidip if the blue isn't your style.

I guess it comes down to how much you see yourself using the wheel.  Spending a little more for a much nicer wheel can be exponentially worth the additional cost.  $990 vs $1400 is only a $410 difference.  I know it's difficult to wrap your head around spending over $1000 on a single wheeled device, but keep in mind the better ones go faster, are safer, and can take you a lot farther.  Say a Honda Civic costs $1000 and a Honda Accord V6 costs $1400.  Which one would you buy?

8 hours ago, houseofjob said:

I would personally never get a wheel that has an 800W nominal motor combined with a battery cell count as low as a ~320-340wH pack, as evidenced by all the issues experienced with the Ninebot One P Pro (800W motor, 360wH battery).

Hi @houseofjob. I wonder if the issues  you're referring to are specific to the Ninebot One P, or all similar configurations. 

After a lot of research,  I have recently bought an IPS191 (1000W motor / 340Wh battery). I am not aware of similar issues with this unit - mine is absolutely fantastic. 

9 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Hi @houseofjob. I wonder if the issues  you're referring to are specific to the Ninebot One P, or all similar configurations. 

After a lot of research,  I have recently bought an IPS191 (1000W motor / 340Wh battery). I am not aware of similar issues with this unit - mine is absolutely fantastic. 

@The Fat Unicyclist The IPS191 is max/momentary peak power 1,000W, not nominal/average power (see chart here). I am talking about nominal/average power 800W wheels (which can reach max power of 3,000W in the cases of Gotway & KingSong). 

Unfortunately, IPS does not release the nominal/average power rating numbers for their wheels, as was the practice of early EUC manufacturers, focusing on listing the  max/momentary peak power rating. With the advent of more powerful EUC motors in the market, and companies like Gotway, Ninebot, & KingSong preferring to list their products by nominal/average power ratings, this obviously has caused confusion amongst consumers.

Third party distributors will take advantage of this by conveniently leaving out any kind of indication whether the wattage number they are listing is max/peak or nominal/average, preferring to leave it vague as something like "motor power" (case in point for this IPS 191 listing here, and this IPS Zero listing here).

As nominal/average power rating is typically anywhere from 1/2 to 1/4 of the max power rating, the IPS 191 is, in rough estimation, at most 500W nominal/average power, which is perfectly fine supported by a 340wH battery (this is similar to the 320wH, 500W nominal Ninebot E+).

And if you don't believe me on the max vs nominal numbers, try riding your IPS 191 uphill side by side with a true 800W nominal wheel like the Gotway MCM4/ACM16/MSuper2 or KingSong KS-16 or 800W version KS-14C/KS-18A. If the IPS 191 was 1,000W nominal, it should move faster and easier (more torque) uphill.

Archived