How to mount and dismount elegantly? And protect the grey areas on the bot?

adamo

Hey.. so I'm still pretty new at this thing (ninebot e+), but I've been able to ride around a bit and in really enjoying it despite the fact that I'm still learning.

TWo questions

1. How can I better protect the grey areas on the upper sides of the ninebot?  I put the protective stuff on it, but I find that after it crashes these just get ripped off and I now see 2 damaged areas of the grey areas....

2. How can i dismount this thing?  Every time I show down to stop I wind up having my bot tip over and have that darn alert sound (can I turn this off?).  Is there a video on dismounting and mounting the bot in a how to format?

Thanks!!!

It just takes practice. Eventually you learn you roll the bot forward with one leg, then step on with the other. 

The side covers / supports are cheap enough to replace, just give it a couple of months learning and either re-cover / replace them. 
I took the opportunity to change mine for black ones.

2 hours ago, adamo said:

Hey.. so I'm still pretty new at this thing (ninebot e+), but I've been able to ride around a bit and in really enjoying it despite the fact that I'm still learning.

TWo questions

1. How can I better protect the grey areas on the upper sides of the ninebot?  I put the protective stuff on it, but I find that after it crashes these just get ripped off and I now see 2 damaged areas of the grey areas....

2. How can i dismount this thing?  Every time I show down to stop I wind up having my bot tip over and have that darn alert sound (can I turn this off?).  Is there a video on dismounting and mounting the bot in a how to format?

Thanks!!!

@adamo Youtube Ninebot UK or SpeedyFeet he has some very good instructional videos on how to get on and off.

21 minutes ago, steve454 said:

amazon

I see that they have replacement pedals, and shells..  but not that grey part that my legs rest up against... or an I missing it? Do you have a direct link?

Standing on one foot and learning to control the wheel with the other, moving it back and forth and around, should help a lot for dismounting and mounting.

There are quite a few vids linked in the tagged thread

I remember this too and had the same problems when coming to stop. 

The he best way is to roll into a stop then always step off with one foot behind the plate and not to the side of the plate. 

Doing this makes you heel down a little on the foot left on the plate so almost using a break to steady the wheel.  

Hope me this helps. 

Yeah, but don't worry about it, who cares if your Bot looks a little scuffed up?  I like a clean wheel but minor wear and tear is inevitable.  Anyways, Ninebot has easily replaceable parts, you can fairly easily make it look like new for little dollars.  I'm thinking about spraying mine with plasti dip like @SuperSport did.  His looks awesome, but I don't have the skills my self to make one as nice as his.  

Also @Norway and @SlowMo have some very nice customizations.

I wrapped mine as well but I somehow couldn't get it wrinkle free. I spent hours on it but I was so disappointed with the result that I peeled it off after a while. Then @SuperSport did a professional looking job on his, making it look easy!

I think I remember him mentioning that he used to own a sign shop, so he has probably some experience doing wraps.  I know from applying decals it is hard going around curves and edges without wrinkles.

• 2 weeks later...

"How to mount and dismount elegantly?"

Because this was also a big question for me when I first got my Ninebot One I'd like to add my two cents here.

Even after I had spend about two weeks training and practicing and watched several instructional videos I still was barely able to keep myself on the Ninebot One for some distance, let alone getting on and off it elegantly. 
Unfortunately I didn't personally know anybody who already owned a unicycle and therefore had to go through it all on my own.

At the beginning I was basically just trying to "emulate" what I saw in the videos, but at some point it really became frustrating that I couldn't make real progress and so I started to look at it from the technical side.

What I noticed was that people in the videos had their lower leg's firmly touching the leg support covers (pads) over basically their full vertical length.
But in my case (my legs are very long, skinny and somewhat O-shaped), when I was standing straight up on the Ninebot One's foot plates with both feet as far inwards as possible, basically my ankles were the only parts of my legs that touched the leg support pads (and that location is of course at the lowest point of the pads).  

Furthermore, while comparing pictures/videos of the Ninebot One and some other popular unicycles (like the classic Solowheel and it's Chinese copies), it looked like the support pads of the Ninebot One don't reach as far upwards.

In my case the standard leg support pads of the Ninebot One don't even reach far enough up to where my calves are.

I ended up adding some "extensions" to the pads and from that moment on I immediately felt confident and in control while riding the Ninebot One and was also able to mount and dismount rather elegantly.

So, at least in my opinion, how good someone can ride the (unmodified) Ninebot One is not only about practice, skill and technique, but it also depends a lot on the rider's body size and shape.

Perhaps sometime in the future some manufacturer will make a unicycle with height-adjustable leg support pads?

As you get better at riding with time (you will get better) you may find you don't need to press your legs against the pads at all. I prefer riding with my feet a little bit outward on the pedals so that I'm not touching the body of the unicycle at all only the pedals. 

18 hours ago, Duc said:

"How to mount and dismount elegantly?"

Because this was also a big question for me when I first got my Ninebot One I'd like to add my two cents here.

Even after I had spend about two weeks training and practicing and watched several instructional videos I still was barely able to keep myself on the Ninebot One for some distance, let alone getting on and off it elegantly. 
Unfortunately I didn't personally know anybody who already owned a unicycle and therefore had to go through it all on my own.

At the beginning I was basically just trying to "emulate" what I saw in the videos, but at some point it really became frustrating that I couldn't make real progress and so I started to look at it from the technical side.

What I noticed was that people in the videos had their lower leg's firmly touching the leg support covers (pads) over basically their full vertical length.
But in my case (my legs are very long, skinny and somewhat O-shaped), when I was standing straight up on the Ninebot One's foot plates with both feet as far inwards as possible, basically my ankles were the only parts of my legs that touched the leg support pads (and that location is of course at the lowest point of the pads).  

Furthermore, while comparing pictures/videos of the Ninebot One and some other popular unicycles (like the classic Solowheel and it's Chinese copies), it looked like the support pads of the Ninebot One don't reach as far upwards.

In my case the standard leg support pads of the Ninebot One don't even reach far enough up to where my calves are.

I ended up adding some "extensions" to the pads and from that moment on I immediately felt confident and in control while riding the Ninebot One and was also able to mount and dismount rather elegantly.

So, at least in my opinion, how good someone can ride the (unmodified) Ninebot One is not only about practice, skill and technique, but it also depends a lot on the rider's body size and shape.

Perhaps sometime in the future some manufacturer will make a unicycle with height-adjustable leg support pads?

Agreed, mounting my generic wheel which has alot thicker padding vs. naked ninebot is ALOT easier. I added some of the "protection foam" to the ninebot and its now as easy to mount as my generic was, but I was really annoyed not knowing why it felt so much harder when I first got my Ninebot.

18 hours ago, Shoe73 said:

As you get better at riding with time (you will get better) you may find you don't need to press your legs against the pads at all. I prefer riding with my feet a little bit outward on the pedals so that I'm not touching the body of the unicycle at all only the pedals. 

Its definately alot more comfortable, I try to alternate, but surely you need to lean the EUC at your leg when mounting?

Besides the difficulties when mounting and dismounting the Ninebot One.

On a nice and even surface I can also ride the Ninebot One without my legs touching the pads, but if I ride, for example, over a bump or groove at an unfavorable angle, then it will upset the Ninebot and cause it to wiggle, which in turn causes one by reflex to clamp the unicycle between the legs to stabilize it and then all will be good again. 

However, if you are unable to properly clamp the unicycle between your legs because the position of the support pads doesn't suit your legs, then the wiggling can easily become so bad that you have to jump off.

Therefore I still prefer my very-easy-to-ride version of the Ninebot One. :-)

P.S. People who are not over 1.90 m tall probably won't need such oversized pads.

NB1_pads_.jpg

4 hours ago, Duc said:

People who are not over 1.90 m tall probably won't need such oversized pads.

I am over 1.90m, and the nb1e+ was my first wheel. I never mastered elegant mounting on that wheel. I confess that wherever possible, I looked for poles to lean on, or just go very slow in wait of green traffic light, and only dismounted as a last option. I find your solution very creative and wish i had thought of it.

Now I have the ks18 high model, and have absolutely no problem mounting anymore. 

Archived