• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Denniss said:

Now I'll have a look, how we can disable the update message in the ninebot app.

For iPhone I just prohibit usage of 3G/4G network,  so now app is offline at field and  do not bothering me with update notifications. I believe that for Android you can do same thing 

Btw.  I use Alexander Bykov's method for downgrade and successfully downgraded  both of mine minis - that was super easy.

Thank you guys! Joy of riding is back again. 

On 2nd thoughts, it might be me. 
When I do the two command prompts I am getting the following text. 

1. posadis is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program batch file
Press any key to continue

2.  C:\9BDgrader\Posadis 0.60.6\config:\tiny.exe  C:\9BDgrader\www 80

Does that look right?

It could also be down to me using Windows 10. I presume, whilst it do the connection my laptop isn't supposed to be connected to the internet? 

9 hours ago, Alexander Bykov said:

Thanks Denniss! 
1. Seems like you need to have an android phone to perform downgrade (I failed to do it from iphone) 
2. I put all this staff at my own DNS server (portaller.com). So now downgrade can be performed easily - just change network settings to use 107.170.15.247 as DNS server, then check that http://apptest.ninebot.cn/appversion/appdownload/NinebotMini/version.json returns "CtrlVersionCode" "0130".
3. Run Ninebot app on android and connect it to Ninebot. It must find new firmware.
4. Firmware will be downgraded to 1.1.7, so every time when you are running app it will telling you that new firmware (1.3.0) is available. 

To all you guys who have issues with downgrade via Dennis's manual:  please use Alexander's method like I did.  It is super easy. No mess with PC 

I successfully downgraded my mini to V.1.1.7 using Alexander's method.. To be honest I tried first Denniss method, but every time I tried to run the startposadis.bat I got a Fatal: failed to open configuration file error in the command prompt window.. I believe it has to do with the fact that I didn't actually install posadis as it was already in the proper directory after unzipping the rar. I believe it's confusing to find it there while you actually need to run the windows installation to have the DNS server properly installed and working.. So in the end I managed to downgrade using Alexander's DNS server.. All is well and props to both of you for the great work.. Now let's try to get rid of the pesky beep sound and raise the speed limit... One more thing that I find annoying and would like it changed: I don't want the mini to slow maximum speed when battery is about to die; I know I have to get to my office and it's only 4 km away and then I can recharge the mini, I don't want to slow down to a crawl to save battery when I can recharge it in the office.. If I want to save battery I can manually slow down, but I don't want the speed limiter to kick in.. Hope it makes sense..

1 hour ago, Alex Markin said:

To all you guys who have issues with downgrade via Dennis's manual:  please use Alexander's method like I did.  It is super easy. No mess with PC 

You are so absolutely right, thx very much, now the fun is back with my Mini pro

the problem with downgrading is the firmware is made of at least 2 parts.

the BMS (battery management system) and the main part that is managing position and speed.

I think it would be good to keep the latest BMS updates , but I am not sure reverting to a previous firmware

is able to do that.

The easy solution for Xiaomi would be to modify the app and let user choose among profiles.

We could have profiles like "silent" (no beep) , "dance" (low speed, but great acceleration) , "race" (no limit speed), "easy"  etc...

futures upgrades could just reuse profiles, so people would not complain of change in behavior after upgrade.

I HAVE WRITTEN MORE THAN 50 POST TODAY AND CAN'T ANSWER ANYMORE. I HAVE WRITTEN TO AN ADMIN.

ITS NOT SAFE TO USE A PRE-CONFIGURATED SERVER BECAUSE THE OWNER OF THIS SERVER CAN SEND YOU ANY FIRMWARE HE WANTS. YOU CAN BRICK YOUR NINEBOT OR GET OTHER FIRMWARES THAN THE 1.1.7.

IN THIS CASE YOU HAVE TO TRUST THE OWNER OF THE SERVER.

ITS ALSO POSSIBLE THAT THE OWNER OF THE SERVER WILL GET LEGAL PROBLEMS FOR HOSTING THE NINEBOT FIRMWARE.

I HAVE AN IDEE FOR THAT.

DONT MAKE NINEBOTS FAILURE TWICE, THE DOWNGRADE PROCESS HAS TO BE AS SECURE AS WE CAN!

I have registered a second account to write this. Admins, please help!

19 hours ago, Cardinale Luca Konnichiwa said:

Can you read the serial numbers of those Microcontroller? Thanks
Are there other MCUs on the mainboard?

I can see some points where there should be a UART port... that could be good for debugging.

Luca, have you gotten the informations you requested?

If no, has anyone more pictures of the internals from the ninebot ?

Now that the firmware downgrade problem has been solved, let's concentrate on the next big thing , reverse engineering the firmware so that we can control every parameters of our device like max speed e.t.a. :)

So if anyone has pictures of the internals, please share.

12 hours ago, Uvox said:

If I doubleklick on "start webserver.bat" the window directly closes with a ping sound, that's all. Do I need an older Windows -Version for that? I'm using W1064bit

I don't think so. Do you have something like xamp or wamp running in the background for your own webserver? Looks like port 80 is used from an other application.

I just testet an IPAD with my solution. It works, when you clear the DNS Cache on the IOS Device.

Step by Step:
Completely close the Ninebot app (kill the task)
Change the DNS Settings in IOS to your Server
Enable Flight Mode(this will wipe the DNS cache)
Disable Flight Mode

Open Ninebot App, it should now see the new 1.3.0 Firmware.

Please report!

52 minutes ago, Korotkova Anna said:

Hallo Dennis! Vielen herzlichen Dank fuer Dein Downgrade von User aus Russland! Heute wird es gefeiert! )))) Wir freuen uns als ob wir unser Ninebot neu gekauft haben))))) Gut gemacht!!!! Und noch mal vielen vielen vielen herzlichen Dank!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Denniss! Thank you very much for your downgrade procedure from russian users! Today we can celebrate! )))) Our Ninebot are like new))))) Well done !!!! Many many many thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Vik's said:

Hello Dennis! Thank you very much for your downgrade procedure from russian users! Today we can celebrate! )))) Our Ninebot are like new))))) Well done !!!! Many many many thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

i create a special thanks page for Doctor Denniss, ;) 

Too much complicated for me.....

Really need a method working with Android device itself only. ... like an apk file that install a kind of local Web server with  a dir where to copy the firmware zip file that tricks the Ninebot  app to push and update the firmware to mini.

Or an apk that once installed,  directly push in upload the firmware zip file copied in a given dir ;)

1 hour ago, zugu said:

Too much complicated for me.....

Really need a method working with Android device itself only. ... like an apk file that install a kind of local Web server with  a dir where to copy the firmware zip file that tricks the Ninebot  app to push and update the firmware to mini.

Or an apk that once installed,  directly push in upload the firmware zip file copied in a given dir ;)

Dear Zugu!

i totally understand you )

My friend Alexander on a page 6 of this topic described his method which is much more user-friendly than method of Dennis (in fact this the same idea, but in Alexander's case he did all the job for you ))

If you are not a paranoid, you can use this method, like i did or Alexander did or several other guys from here. It took me about 5 minutes and android smartphone

In short, steps are:

0) get android smartphone (hardest part))

1) connect to your wifi and open wifi settings of android

2) long tap on your Wifi - network that you are connected to and choose "Manage network settings" 

3) in IP Settings choose "Static" and fill 107.170.15.247 in both DNS fields

4) launch your ninebot App and you find that you can install firmware update 1.3.0 (which is 1.1.7 actually)

thats it

after firmware install you get 1.1.7 firmware back and your only problem will be NOT to agree with app to install this damned 1.2.8 again ))

P.S. i found this speculations that Alexander can BRICK your ninebot or fill a BAD firmware to you a little offending )

anyways it's up to you to trust me and spare yourself some time  or do all the job with your own hands (which is i respect tota))

We are all here in the same boat and our only intention was to help, not to profit from this somehow ((

On 10/6/2016 at 1:27 PM, Alexander Bykov said:

Thanks Denniss! 
1. Seems like you need to have an android phone to perform downgrade (I failed to do it from iphone) 
2. I put all this staff at my own DNS server (portaller.com). So now downgrade can be performed easily - just change network settings to use 107.170.15.247 as DNS server, then check that http://apptest.ninebot.cn/appversion/appdownload/NinebotMini/version.json returns "CtrlVersionCode" "0130".
3. Run Ninebot app on android and connect it to Ninebot. It must find new firmware.
4. Firmware will be downgraded to 1.1.7, so every time when you are running app it will telling you that new firmware (1.3.0) is available. 

it's extremely easy to do in addition, you can do it with a iphone, only 1 minute!!, thanks both Alexander and Denniss

1 hour ago, Vik's said:

Hello Denniss! Thank you very much for your downgrade procedure from russian users! Today we can celebrate! )))) Our Ninebot are like new))))) Well done !!!! Many many many thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks for the info! I'm happy that you have new Ninbots :)

Viele Grüße nach Russland!

I read Denniss post about "how bad it can be to use someone else's DNS server" and totally agree with him.

Just to make it clear. IP address that I wrote – is main IP of Portaller, my project to unblock Pandora, Netflix, Spotify, HBO and some other services all over the world. For downgrade I have used the same method that Denniss have used, but did it a little more automated.

Check it out on Github:

https://github.com/alardus/portaller/commit/49b396f6a2bb99f801106a3cbd42d597dc7739c4

https://github.com/alardus/ninebot/commit/720dafec92ac4fbd6fc73a80e75e0f263748dc63

20 minutes ago, Alex Markin said:

P.S. i found this speculations that Alexander can BRICK your ninebot or fill a BAD firmware to you a little offending )

anyways it's up to you to trust me and spare yourself some time  or do all the job with your own hands (which is i respect tota))

We are all here in the same boat and our only intention was to help, not to profit from this somehow ((

I just say, don't trust everyone who says you can use his server :)

Everybody with a root Server can just upload my script or use his own DNS and Webserver with my settings and file structure to make the downgrade available public.

Fact is, the Ninebot update process is very poorly designed (luck for us) and not very safe. So you can get every firmware from someones server and you will not know what your app is downloading.

Little ironic but possible :) :

Ninebot hires some little chinese hackers and they change the update file on our servers to their new super Version 6.6.6, that bricks your device ?

I'm working in the IT Business since the mid 90's and have seen a lot of things happen to servers because their admin is only a hobbyist or a lazy professional. Script kiddies are everywhere and each day tons of security holes are found. 

So my advice is: 

Take some time, read the instructions and the tips for it and try for your own. Maybe you will learn something new. My girlfriend with basic windows knowledge, was able to make things running correct within 5 minutes only by reading the instructions.

When you are not able to get this thing running or are just lazy, then go for Alexanders Server.

If there is interest from Alexander and from others (maybe 3 more people can host the downgrade), i can write a little Windows Software which checks these servers for correct DNS settings and the right file. The users will then see a green sign behind these servers and are sure that is secure to use it.

9 minutes ago, Alexander Bykov said:

I read Denniss post about "how bad it can be to use someone else's DNS server" and totally agree with him.

Just to make it clear. IP address that I wrote – is main IP of Portaller, my project to unblock Pandora, Netflix, Spotify, HBO and some other services all over the world. For downgrade I have used the same method that Denniss have used, but did it a little more automated.

Thank you Alexander! And good work!

Thanks all. 

Using Dennis's Apple instructions I was able to view the text (when you test it by going to a website).... But when I opened the app it would crash and not ipdate the software. I then chose to use Alexanders server (rather than my own) and it worked first time. 

Thanks again!

Archived