Leaperkim Lynx 2700wh: 151V, 20" tire, suspension, 89lb

RagingGrandpa

1 hour ago, Paradox said:

Is there a new version of the Lynx to be released?

i'm 170 pounds and dropping naked, but riding weight is 183 without my 45 and 187 with it, and that's only wearing a helmet above the waist. so i could easily go over 200 pounds in winter. 

the 66lb version would be perfect fot light offroading and slow technical land for my size. 5-15mph, at the higher speeds the ride gets harsh because it bottoms out frequently but not terrible. i this i need the 70lb version if incan see my paths and want to make a quick trip around my ranch. 

if i weighed 150, this 66lb would be perfect.

no newer version that i know of.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, novazeus said:

no newer version that i know of.

Ah, my mistake. I thought you meant there was a lighter 70lb Lynx on the horizon.  You are referring to the  70lb shock.  My mistake.

12 hours ago, onkeldanuel said:

Dont think so, its a tubed tire and not rated for tubeless operation,  at least not in the 14 size...

It's not, I tried to tell him but he insist on still riding on it tubeless. I still don't think it's a good idea because the sidewalls probably aren't strong enough because the tire was designed to be ran with a tube but hey, live and let live.

• Like 1

idk, i might look foolish later, but i just came in from a ride, specifically to see if taking off high speed mode  gave more low end torque, and yes, i think it does. the lynx had the best low end torque of any of my wheels but now it’s even better.

i’d love to hear from others what they think. i do massive doses of thc so it could be psychological or just psycho out here!

but it did seem to help.

tried the s18 and it has the power but the suspension killed me. but i’m thinking i can make it a good trials type wheel as well with it’s light weight. i did 2.7 miles, then 4 something on the lynx with it’s down low boost. i mean going 20mph is flying across the pasture, literally flying, skipping, zero control. no idea where ur landing. like being at sea in chop.

ha, i didn’t realize i had an s18pro. i wonder if it’s worth more now?

54F1A16E-F123-47C0-97BE-AD28E7DB21D8.png.a073eed2df841f8fa0d3806578dc74e9.png

69D2E808-FB80-4F7F-8F1E-1E6C88E39972.png.3910ab54089bec8412c2c5a62bbf5abd.png

and when all else fails, read the manual. idk if it adds low end torque or not, but 105kph freespin is plenty for me.

image.thumb.jpeg.75ea8f9a05a602b116fb303375b83c4b.jpeg

Edited by novazeus

6 hours ago, novazeus said:

idk, i might look foolish later, but i just came in from a ride, specifically to see if taking off high speed mode  gave more low end torque, and yes, i think it does. the lynx had the best low end torque of any of my wheels but now it’s even better.

i’d love to hear from others what they think. i do massive doses of thc so it could be psychological or just psycho out here!

but it did seem to help.

tried the s18 and it has the power but the suspension killed me. but i’m thinking i can make it a good trials type wheel as well with it’s light weight. i did 2.7 miles, then 4 something on the lynx with it’s down low boost. i mean going 20mph is flying across the pasture, literally flying, skipping, zero control. no idea where ur landing. like being at sea in chop.

ha, i didn’t realize i had an s18pro. i wonder if it’s worth more now?

54F1A16E-F123-47C0-97BE-AD28E7DB21D8.png.a073eed2df841f8fa0d3806578dc74e9.png

69D2E808-FB80-4F7F-8F1E-1E6C88E39972.png.3910ab54089bec8412c2c5a62bbf5abd.png

and when all else fails, read the manual. idk if it adds low end torque or not, but 105kph freespin is plenty for me.

image.thumb.jpeg.75ea8f9a05a602b116fb303375b83c4b.jpeg

Scientifically High speed mode is field weakening and it doesn't affect low end torque, subjectively I have high speed mode on and low end torque is very strong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I popped high speed on today for the first time and it felt maybe a little more zippy off the line? I was adjusting pedal modes so I may have felt the difference in those settings.

Had a small 100mtr run and got up to 86kph but hit 89% PWM.

Surprised with that speed in such a small space I had. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Forwardnbak said:

I popped high speed on today for the first time and it felt maybe a little more zippy off the line? I was adjusting pedal modes so I may have felt the difference in those settings.

Had a small 100mtr run and got up to 86kph but hit 89% PWM.

Surprised with that speed in such a small space I had. 

The pedal modes are a bit confusing IMO, 80% felt very hard, 60% felt very soft, I have mine at 74% currently which kinda feels like medium does on Sherman S and Patton (?!).

Also I don't know if it's just a calibration issue (I haven't calibrated mine since I got it) but mine feels like it has a tiny backwards tilt on the pedals all the time which is giving me foot fatigue, I put -0.4 LeaperKim units (what's that in angle?) forward tilt yesterday while testing and it felt more comfortable, might end up doing a calibration today see if that makes a difference.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

The pedal modes are a bit confusing IMO, 80% felt very hard, 60% felt very soft, I have mine at 74% currently which kinda feels like medium does on Sherman S and Patton (?!).

Also I don't know if it's just a calibration issue (I haven't calibrated mine since I got it) but mine feels like it has a tiny backwards tilt on the pedals all the time which is giving me foot fatigue, I put -0.4 LeaperKim units (what's that in angle?) forward tilt yesterday while testing and it felt more comfortable, might end up doing a calibration today see if that makes a difference.

Agree! I am not a big fan of the modes yet, and PAA also, I adjusted mine all over the place today. I am now on a hard -2 I think.

Still no where near dialled in on this wheel, I only have 300km on it but still can pick up huge speed and a great ride on it.

Al lot more flighty at mid 80s than the V13. 

21 minutes ago, Forwardnbak said:

I’ll go edit a video I had Darknessbot filming for a little when I pushed to 86kph, then I hit a speed bump and had to lean back. 

GPS or Wheelspeed? Only 6% difference tho 

50 minutes ago, onkeldanuel said:

GPS or Wheelspeed? Only 6% difference tho 

Im going to check, this was off darkness bot so yea not too sure on accuracy. I was also wearing Apple Watch Ultra which has 2 gps and had fitness running which should sync speed but it did seem to miss uploading stats to the video I’ve watched yet. 

1 hour ago, Forwardnbak said:

I’ll go edit a video I had Darknessbot filming for a little when I pushed to 86kph, then I hit a speed bump and had to lean back. 

I am feeling unsafe above 65 km/h   - I definetlly dont have balls to ride lynx 85 km/h. It is good somobody does have them, and make test for us "smoothskins" whose dont like kiss asphalt.

I would love to see more technical data as voltage and PWM on video.

I really like pedal drop + mod on my Lynx.

Feels like most inpactfull upgrade so far. You can get guys BYD orange version cheap from ali. M4 studs are penies.
Feel like really good combo with 70 lb suspension, if you dont need 100mm of travel. 70 lb feels stiff in small drops +-25 km/h, but bonking speed bumper at 50 is fun on it. Instant catapult ! So much fun ...

lynxpedaldrop_20240315_155638.jpg

Edited by daniel1234
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, daniel1234 said:

You can get guys BYD orange version cheap from ali.

Can you share a link? I didn’t find on search. I don’t mind paying for a good product but so far lowering the pedals has been pretty expensive. Especially considering I don’t even get to test the effect before. 

50 minutes ago, Forwardnbak said:

Im going to check, this was off darkness bot so yea not too sure on accuracy. I was also wearing Apple Watch Ultra which has 2 gps and had fitness running which should sync speed but it did seem to miss uploading stats to the video I’ve watched yet. 

If you didn't apply speed correction in DarknessBot it's just what the wheel reports, apply like -5% and you get the GPS speed.

5 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Scientifically High speed mode is field weakening and it doesn't affect low end torque, subjectively I have high speed mode on and low end torque is very strong.

i agree that the torque is great in high speed mode, but low end torque seemed better. 

could be psychological or the fact i had just done 2.7 miles of pasture on my s18 for the first time(longest). 

i'll test it again today. 

doesn't really matter to me if it's psychological or not if it makes riding my ranch easier because i don't need high speed. going over 30mph here would take much effort and it could only be brief. i have about 2200' of 12' wide pavement here and the rest raw earth untouched by humans. 

so, is there any advantage to turning high speed mode off?

why would the wheel maker give the customer that option if it doesn't matter?

i need low speed mode for all my wheels. low speed, high torque!

18 minutes ago, novazeus said:

so, is there any advantage to turning high speed mode off?

Draws less current at higher speeds, you trade range for speed.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Draws less current at higher speeds, you trade range for speed.

so in my use case, no difference?

in the old days of 2017, i needed tiltback and alarms out here with the slow wheels, and i don't use any assistance from any wheel, all i want is for it to play dead nicely on a low speed step off. 

i need to get my head into what all this safety stuff is on the lynx i guess. i would like to learn how it locks and unlocks with the app if it does and make sure it doesn't lock while riding like the stupid v13's do.

haha, on last night's impromtu 5 mile ride to check the torque, it got dark on me and i didn't remember at first how to turn on the light, then i remembered and thought yeah, just lean over and press that top button, as i'm bumping along at ten mph. and then i thought, u know, that button is awfully close to the power button, be better to stop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

so in my use case, no difference?

in the old days of 2017, i needed tiltback and alarms out here with the slow wheels, and i don't use any assistance from any wheel, all i want is for it to play dead nicely on a low speed step off. 

i need to get my head into what all this safety stuff is on the lynx i guess. i would like to learn how it locks and unlocks with the app if it does and make sure it doesn't lock while riding like the stupid v13's do.

haha, on last night's impromtu 5 mile ride to check the torque, it got dark on me and i didn't remember at first how to turn on the light, then i remembered and thought yeah, just lean over and press that top button, as i'm bumping along at ten mph. and then i thought, u know, that button is awfully close to the power button, be better to stop.

Yeah if you don't ride fast it makes no difference.

I believe you can't lock the wheel with an app, you have to push "sleep" on the display 9 times to enable transport mode, just set OS % Tiltback (PWM tiltback) to a reasonable value between 70-80% and you are good to go, I have mine at 76%, if you don't ride fast you won't trigger that from speed but possibly in some off-road scenarios.

Re: power button you need to hold it down to power off, would take a lot to push the wrong button and also holding it in. 😁 Maybe they even disabled it while wheel is moving? I didn't try that.

Edited by Rawnei
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Maybe they even disabled it while wheel is moving? I didn't try that.

definitely would be smart. thanks for the advice.

if i have no pre-load and my screws all the way left, is there any way to prevent this jarring occasional, jarring bottoming out when going fast or do i just need the 70lb wheel?