The Photo Thread

SlowMo

24 minutes ago, Smoother said:

These photos are freaking cool. It must have been awesome to experience. We have had similar tests here all winter, we just can't see them because of the clouds and rain ;)  I'm joking of course. It's always sunny here. 

l visit Kent fairly regularly... l know what the weather is like there... 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Me and my ACM on top of the Santa Fe Dam in Southern California. 20+ miles into a 42-mile range test

IMG_20171225_153756781_HDR

What...no mountain scenery? Hazy day and look at all of those power lines. Welcome to my world! :P

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

What...no mountain scenery? Hazy day and look at all of those power lines. Welcome to my world! :P

Trying to add a little variety. The mountains were behind the camera and it was an overcast day.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Trying to add a little variety. The mountains were behind the camera and it was an overcast day.

Isn't "overcast" the LA codeword for "smoggy?" 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Isn't "overcast" the LA codeword for "smoggy?" 

Absolutely not. You're thinking pre-1990's.  Los Angeles has very little noticeable smog now. When I cam here in the early 80's you could only see the mountains a few days out of the year, because of the smog. And it was much worse in the 70's. Now you can see the mountains all of the time (weather permitting) and smog is only mentioned in the history books.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Absolutely not. You're thinking pre-1990's.  Los Angeles has very little noticeable smog now. When I cam here in the early 80's you could only see the mountains a few days out of the year, because of the smog. And it was much worse in the 70's. Now you can see the mountains all of the time (weather permitting) and smog is only mentioned in the history books.

l most humbly apologise for my unfounded aspersions... 

But I will still laugh at you for wearing a leather jacket when the temperature dropped into the 60's (F)! I was in Europe may last April, and was still wearing a tee-shirt when it was 30° F.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

But I will still laugh at you for wearing a leather jacket when the temperature dropped into the 60's (F)! I was in Europe may last April, and was still wearing a tee-shirt when it was 30° F.

25440410498_7e9e651bde_b.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/25/2017 at 9:50 PM, Marty Backe said:

One of the huge benefits of moving US manufacturing to China and India is the much better health we enjoy. Chinese manufacturing cities have absolutely wretched air quality, I mean from the sixth floor I couldn't see the ground! You end up walking around and wheezing a lot, and I would consider myself to have much better than average cardiovascular fitness.

Interestingly, Google maps has this pollution map (I forgot where), and highways have far and away the most pollution. That's an excellent reason not to buy a house next to a highway.

• Like 1

A couple of pictures from before the holidays, the extremely cold weather and  before my most recent faceplant on a frozen pile of snow while riding my Monster. I'm guessing that an mTen3 would have passed through the frozen pile of snow.

Manchester by the Sea

72128.jpg

Lighthouse Point in Marblehead, MA

72127.jpg

• Upvote 1

I have certain routes that I go on dependably during warm weather. The towns all have handicap accessible bevels from Street to sidewalk. At the boundary between two towns on my grocery route an 'Island' forms a three way intersection. On the distant side of the route was a sidewalk that had been 'plowed' leaving and uncleared bank of frozenish snow. At the point where I should have dismounted and walked I decided to 'give it a go'....which didn't really go over it. The net result was something known in western terms as a Charlie horse...of lasting duration. I'm glad my knee pads (and wrist) were on!

On a different note but still on the subject of snow removal and EUC riding, the source of the massive 'Chelsea snow pile' which is used to treat streets, is sourced from Chile in South America. Google ' Chile salt mine' and you bring up a massive salt mine operation in northern Chile called the Atacama desert.

http://www.infomine.com/library/videos/710c0/rock_salt_mining_in_the_atacama_desert%2C_chile.aspx

The common bond with EUC riding is that the salt mine area has found new purpose as a source of Lithium (lithium salt) used worldwide in lithium batteries.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN19V2O8&ved=0ahUKEwjIuLzAkrXYAhVhneAKHa58AAUQFggzMAE&usg=AOvVaw3-Bt_dauRi6N0kbZVGMKI8&ampcf=1

Happy new year!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Google ' Chile salt mine' and you bring up a massive salt mine operation in northern Chile called the Atacama desert.

18 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

salt mine area has found new purpose as a source of Lithium (lithium salt)

You can see the lithium enrichment extraction 'brine pools' on Google Earth near Peine, Chile

72551.png

72552.png

http://www.albemarle-lithium.com/regions/latin-america/chile-production-sites/

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Hard to believe that on January 1st last year I was riding in 60 degree weather. Now it is - 2. This stinks! 

25558801688_68cdf4bc07_b.jpg

I know what sub-zero temperatures are like and even at my passion level I don't think I would go for any outdoor riding. Bravo to you :thumbup:

55 minutes ago, steve454 said:

she looks like she is giving a good performance in the photo.

At the end, after the ball fell, she, Ryan Seacrest and Camilla Cabello (departed from 5th harmony as a solo)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camila_Cabello

shared the camera. Mariah C. the mom with children was seen too.

I made TV capture videos of most of the 2015 celebration but I don't think copyright allows posting . Taylor Swift was the showcased performer, who had no 2017 performances but is touring sometime around May 2018. With that kind of TV exposure coupled with star persona it might make a lot of sense to cut a song with a divergent lyrical identity stating you're (T. Swift) dead while planning a come back tour 2018.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:
3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Hard to believe that on January 1st last year I was riding in 60 degree weather. Now it is - 2. This stinks! 

I know what sub-zero temperatures are like and even at my passion level I don't think I would go for any outdoor riding. Bravo to you :thumbup:

Fear not pioneering EUC artist. Your ride area can probably be seen online from the armchair warmth of a room.? It's those wavy red white areas that stand out.

72561.png

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

You could always set up a treadmill so that you can ride indoors.    ;)

After all, what could possibly go wrong?     :blink1: