The Photo Thread

SlowMo

3 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Topless snowboarding!  OH, MY, GOD!!! DID YOU SEE THAT?

SOME OF THOSE DROP OFFS ARE HUGE!!!

And apparently the less clothes you wore, the better you were.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Steven D Wheeler said:

I think this is where aerodynamics factor in. ;)

I don't know, some of those body parts might be adding some considerable drag :ph34r:

• Upvote 2

On 11/7/2017 at 1:39 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

"The House of Seven Gables" sounds like a legendary, mysterious Chinese mountain monastery :efee8319ab:

"The House of the Seven Gables (also known as the Turner House or Turner-Ingersoll Mansion), made famous by American author Nathaniel Hawthorne's novel The House of the Seven Gables (1851), is a 1668 colonial mansion in Salem, Massachusetts, named for its gables. The house is now a non-profit museum...."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_the_Seven_Gables

A lot of the 'gables' on the roof are seen from the harbor side. Think  'Nathaniel Hawthorne novel'.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

The House of the Seven Gables (also known as the Turner House or Turner-Ingersoll Mansion), made famous by American author Nathaniel Hawthorne's novel The House of the Seven Gables (1851), is a 1668 colonial mansion in Salem, Massachusetts, named for its gables. The house is now a non-profit museum...."

Is that Ingersoll of the Ingersoll-Rand corporation?

13 hours ago, steve454 said:

Is that Ingersoll of the Ingersoll-Rand corporation?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Ingersoll

"

Simon Ingersoll (March 3, 1818 – July 24, 1894) founded the Ingersoll Rock Drill Company in 1871.

In 1905 Ingersoll-Sargeant Drill Company merged with the Rand Drill Company to form Ingersoll-Rand. Unfortunately, Simon Ingersoll never found a way to make a fortune from his rock drill and died nearly penniless."

https://7gables.org/history/

"The House of the Seven Gables was built by a Salem sea captain and merchant named John Turner in 1668 and occupied by three generations of the Turner family before being sold to Captain Samuel Ingersoll in 1782. "

I can't say that they (Ingersoll name) are the same. 1782 vs 1871

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 1

Nice virtual vacation photo tours, guys. Always good to have some description coming with the pictures.

14 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Have you been playing 'Lara Croft - Tomb Raider '?

No, I haven't. Is there something like this in there? Maybe the association came from "8 delights" (or whatever it is called) Chinese food. Or it's just that "The House of the Seven Gables" has a certain lyrical ring to it, and there are similar "Chinese" names, like the movie "House of Flying Daggers". Probably that's it.

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The House of the Seven Gables"

Although I haven't read it , the novel is a must-read by many stateside readers as a favorite. I shouldn't say much more, but the attraction to visit the house in Salem is inspired by the book.

I read some German novels in translation in college by authors like Kafka (The Castle?) Thomas Mann (Confessions of Felix Krull) and Günter Grass (The Tin Drum).

I'd guess that you know of them but that here fewer stateside readers here would recognize the titles.

I played 'Lara Croft - Tomb Raider' once. Pretty cool gaming but I don't remember a Chinese Monestery per se.

Hummm...8 delights.... sounds tasty.

Edited by Bob Eisenman

25 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

My North Shore to Logan airport 'MBTA-stop' route.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mohFPlpDTRzj7hCLioNTvxqRbxbrghKN&usp=sharing

57335.png

I'd previously ridden the route on my Ninebot but only one way per charge. On the Gotway Monster the return trip becomes possible even in the cold weather. From where I live the route is about 16 miles through Winthrop, Revere, Lynn, Swampscott and Salem. There is a place in Winthrop that has some old 'wheels':

57336.jpg

An old pair of 'Outdoor Research (OR)' Gortex over mitt shells I bought for hiking years ago fit easily over my wrist guards and provide wind and cold air protection.

A bikeway near Logan airport and three stretches of level beach side sidewalk makes the route a low impact on the knees route. The cold weather thins out the crowds ,that fill the beach areas in the summer, to just a few people.

Why did they put a big white star on the door?  Perfect aiming point.  I got shotgun!  Yeah, you can have it, I'll take the next one, that I have covered the white paint with mud.:laughbounce2:  

Great photo BTW, those WW2 trucks look badass!

We didn't have the best tanks, or guns, but we had the best trucks and jeeps.

Edited by steve454

2 hours ago, steve454 said:

Why did they put a big white star on the door? 

Good question. The same era jeeps sometimes had a big star atop the engine hood.

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-sprint-mvno-us&biw=360&bih=248&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=UBEJWp3QN8fNmwGlvI2wAQ&sjs=3&q=army+jeep&oq=army+jeep&gs_l=mobile-gws-img.3..0l5.24668.29267.0.30398.20.17.0.0.0.0.286.3014.0j11j5.16.0....0...1.1j4.64.mobile-gws-img..10.10.1884...35i39k1j0i67k1.699.kkI9QwqittE#imgrc=9A4dfLsA0xGAYM:

https://www.google.com/search?q=army+troop+transport&client=ms-android-sprint-mvno-us&prmd=sinv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiUkd2LvbrXAhVm6oMKHZzwBZEQ_AUIEygC&biw=360&bih=511#imgrc=3wMOxxjCELTYsM:

In an old Windows OS game called Apache Longbow, the concept of engaging targets (foreign made vehicles and tanks) 'beyond visual range' (BVR) is conveyed in a game format. The Russians have their own version of mast mounted radar, pilot, copilot gunner attack helicopters.

In the game the player uses terrain masking and updated battle field intelligence to choose friendly ingress routes behind mountain ranges (if available). Once in proximity to battle field targets the ship pops up a bit allowing the radar to scan the target area. The radar reflections are 'processed' to determine target type (truck vs tank vs ?) and location. Hard point mounted missiles that take a high trajectory, can acquire and track target positions and can be updated by the Apache electronics transmissions are launched. Once over the target the  missile descends in the near vertical with impact and explosion. Both infra red and radar modes of engaging are employed in the game.

The Apache is vulnerable to ground fire should it's ingress or egress routes encounter the 'enemy'.

The game begins with the new Apache pilot (the player) being assigned a locker (call sign labeled) and desk area which contains a triangular folded flag of the previous deceased pilot. Grim  reminder and expectations........carry on.....

https://imgoat.com/uploads/6f041e16a6/57366.jpg

57365.jpg

I used to really enjoying playing the game and 'flying' the Apache on Windows (95 or 98). There is some sort of social disconnection by the active player as they engage targets under the guise of good guys vs bad guys (missions) and redundant flight systems security plus armor.

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, steve454 said:

Why did they put a big white star on the door?

Maybe they wanted to avoid friendly fire?  Coordinating large groups of forces without today's satellite visuals and modern AWACS technology must have been a massive challenge when everyone was moving around.

• Upvote 1

Plum Island (Parker River Wildlife Refuge) is a short ride from the Newburyport (Massachusetts) commuter rail station. The ride to Sandy Point, the southern tip of Plum Island, is about 12 miles from the train stop. The road is about one half paved and one half compacted gravel.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-gUf8RosOikPKOhSLiB9XdSr-yhPxUH8&usp=sharing.

57762.jpg

57767.jpg

57768.jpg

57769.jpg

Edited by Bob Eisenman
Add content
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Plum Island (Parker River Wildlife Refuge) is a short ride from the Newburyport (Massachusetts) commuter rail station. The ride to Sandy Point, the southern tip of Plum Island, is about 12 miles from the train stop. The road is about one half paved and one half compacted gravel.

Great to see you use the new possibilities opening up to you with the Monster's range!

Congrats on the new wheel!  So what's your preliminary impressions of it?  Looking good with it.  It fits you.  :thumbup:

I wished it had a more sturdy trolley handle as the current one doesn't inspire confidence.  If you apply slight twisting motions it gives a little too much.  It does work fine pushing it forwards and backwards though.   You would think someone during the testing phase would go "Hmm maybe a solid handle would make people feel the wheel has a higher quality than others.  Let's change it up."

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1