the end is near

novazeus

Multi-storey NYC apartments sometimes have garbage chutes that feed down to a trash compactor.

Chutes that might act as chimneys to funnel smoke upwards to each level.

Garbage trucks also compact trash.

In this instance, the lithium battery fire ignited in a garbage truck......and not in an apartment trash compactor.

BK | Garbage Truck Dumps Trash Mid Street, Lithium Ion Battery Fire | 71st St and 18th Ave 3.20.2023

zc57gAzzjntIxGir5NxhaIWhCHZOveIITNJsI8H- Mar 24, 2023

Spoiler

Man Found Dead After Video Shows Him Climbing Inside Garbage Compactor | NBC New York

AL5GRJXmqqFveyS7yQAnL9iPXTFkd8tQbBx1NhIF
Aug 14, 2022

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 3:17 AM, Funky said:

More or less how i see is.. The battery itself isn't the problem. Problem is that packs are built with many cells...

All these fires, etc. Start only with packs. One/Two batteries alone don't start burning/smoking.

Why battery manufactures can't build "comically" one big cell. :D  One big cell that would power our PEV's. :D Regular cell but 100x times bigger. :D 

I imagine it is the cost. Using 18650 or 21700 cells is akin to lego - you can make anything. Battery manufacturers would happily take on any job if there is profit in it for them. I imagine the cost for small scale jobs (any unicycle brand) would be fairly expensive. If we had a battery standard for all unicycles (standard size battery pack, voltage, amps, connectors, chargers etc), then that might work.

More basically the issue seems to be one of cell/battery chemistry, one can hope that these terrible events will spur on those looking to improve their development in both capacity and safety, but definitely the latter. 

• Like 1

Chinatown, NYC, fire.

Witnesses report loud popping noises heard.

Rapid speed and spread of fire......fire fighters met with heavy conditions upon arrival.

The typical NY external fire escape stairs are in the direct line of exposure.

Firefighters battle massive fire at Chinatown building

FurEkbmZF6E8WdOqrQfCfFSj1-nQukSuJETL9Zv3
Mar 25, 2023

Huge flames billowed into the sky Friday afternoon as crews battled a fire in Chinatown. CBS2's Shosh Bedrosian reports.

• Like 1

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/manhattan/news/2023/03/25/large-chinatown-fire-destroys-business--displaces-dozens-of-residents

Spectrum News, NY 1

Mar. 24, 2023

Large Chinatown fire destroys business, displaces dozens of residents

Thick black smoke could be seen billowing into the air as 140 firefighters worked to the extinguish the three-alarm blaze Friday afternoon in Chinatown.

Debris and dilapidated souvenirs litter the street outside Fu Hao Gift Shop.

“I’m… I’m broken,” says Inamul Haque Bhuiyan, who is almost too heartbroken to speak after his gift shop went up in flames. “Very quickly, very quick. Less than one minute. I call 911 and then I come outside.”

According to the FDNY, it took more than two hours to get the fire under control.

“They were met with heavy fire conditions,” said FDNY Assistant Chief Thomas Currao. “They had fire racing up the front of the building. Occupied building. Very, very challenging.”

Neighboring business owners recount the moment the building caught fire, as they watched in fear and disbelief.

“We heard a sound like an exploding sound inside but we didn’t know what was that,” said Shahadag Hossain, who works at a business a few doors down.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/manhattan/ny-fire-chinatown-manhattan-mott-street-20230324-nkvxgf4zorhapkwdjorzms2j64-photogallery.html

Daily News

Mar 25, 2023

Blaze tears through building in Chinatown, Manhattan

Pictures.

Spoiler

BGQKT7W3IRAZTIF35AY4JKHINE.JPG

HP3BRRGCENGZ3B7V3K6JGOP2FE.JPG

H7CURSVWRVDNXMC5QTNP4YFYLY.JPG

4C5TFKU7IBHNZF5PFVIBE2RLIU.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chanman said:

Are we just assuming "popping noises" means lithium ion batteries now?

Pearl clutchers gotta clutch pearls, Chan.

No clue what started it, but the subsequent fire spread and intensity has fuck-all to do with batteries.  The store was full of solidified diesel fuel, in the form of plastic. One look at the ground tells you why it spread so fast, as the inside of the store was filled with that stuff.

image.png.22eda3ddeace923408d419913b4bcf6c.png

image.thumb.png.21d1fa7123fdef1312b6eae1c67af751.png

For those curious, this plume

image.thumb.png.8daab1e3664984cee2df174e4b1981e6.png

...is about 60% comprised of aerosolized fuel oil that was too rich to burn inside the structure,

which off-gassed, you know, from stuff like this.

image.png.9ce2bbd9bd941a2dcf13535cd39494e9.png

The rapid spread has fuck-all to do with batteries.

It has everything to do with plastic.

image.png.cda07e22f857d0e92a776e80ee04594b.png

Cheers,

image.png

• Upvote 3

Lithium ion batteries when over heated, vent flammable/explosive gasses.

The gasses if not ignited initially, can spread/build up.

If and when they are ignited, there is explosive force.

This is perhaps the reason for the speed, spread, intensity and ferocity of lithium battery fires.

Everything, everywhere, all at once.....not just a movie title.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-09784-z#:~:text=The electrolyte in a lithium,may not be ignited immediately.

Nature Journal

August 30, 2017

Toxic fluoride gas emissions from lithium-ion battery fires

The electrolyte in a lithium-ion battery is flammable and generally contains lithium hexafluorophosphate (LiPF6) or other Li-salts containing fluorine.

In the event of overheating the electrolyte will evaporate and eventually be vented out from the battery cells.

The gases may or may not be ignited immediately.

In case the emitted gas is not immediately ignited the risk for a gas explosion at a later stage may be imminent.

Edited by Paul A

• 2 weeks later...

I was notified by one of the toll checkers on the local commuter train that they are in discussion to ban EUCs from their trains. I asked which other PEVs were affected by this policy change and was told that it would only be applied to EUCs. I got mad then (internally). The toll collector stated that these things usually come from folks misbehaving while the train is in motion. I am going to contact PEVRA (https://pevra.org/) and the commuter train front office tomorrow. 

Today was a shitty day...

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the 5 pages of the thread so far, I only saw one mention of fire blankets (@MetricUSA near top of page 5)
I have received "fire bags" with some drone batteries I've ordered (similar potential fire issues with defective or overcharged LiPo batteries), and I have seen one ad for a similar device for wheels.
They aren't cheap, but could be cheap insurance. As mentioned, a bag or blanket won't prevent a fire, but may help to contain it, should the worst happen.
It's ironic, yet typical of government, to encourage a thing (EVs in general) while also banning them (certain areas / situations.)
It's only been a handful of years that EUCs have been available (although still not in my area!), and this technology is still developing.
Meanwhile, don't take anything for granted, consider a fire blanket designed for these batteries, and... read your insurance policy!

1 hour ago, Mark.on.2.wheels said:

In the 5 pages of the thread so far, I only saw one mention of fire blankets (@MetricUSA near top of page 5)

They have been extensively discussed elsewhere on the site however. Firesack is a good brand, but even that has its limits. In general, they are not robust enough to deal with / contain lithium fires of typical wheel intensities, but remain useful anyway, because they can make a flaming wheel more easily draggable outside.

• Upvote 1

On 4/15/2023 at 1:42 PM, Cerbera said:

They have been extensively discussed elsewhere on the site however. Firesack is a good brand, but even that has its limits. In general, they are not robust enough to deal with / contain lithium fires of typical wheel intensities, but remain useful anyway, because they can make a flaming wheel more easily draggable outside.

Welders blankets are cheap, they may delay the spread of fire.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
18 minutes ago, novazeus said:

It's simple

1: People are stupid.

( the actual case was a case of double stupidity )

2:  To accommodate this (1) , it is necessary to make laws and guidelines for all those who cannot think for themselves.

2.1: these laws and regulations bother the few who can figure out how to behave properly, but there is nothing to be done about that, the majority of idiots always sets the agenda.

3: and since the degree of idiocy cannot be alleviated or eliminated by laws and regulations, the idiots will always find something new to behave idiotically with.

1: ......

sad for the old lady :mellow:

yeah, i forget that humans actually use euc's for other than getting around their ranch. i didn't know scooters were illegal on sidewalks. i don't know any of the local laws regarding pev's. probably should do some research before starting a pev dealership/pro shop here. let's see, not legal on sidewalks, no vehicle registration or insurance, probably not legal on the roads either. 

this topic is more about what is happening to pev's legality in ur area. kill an old lady, they probably don't blink, but when a tumbling euc bounces into a stroller and kills a baby, game over.

and since 2017 i've seen lots of non-tethered eucs bouncing away from their rider. hit a human and they will surely find an ambulance chasing atty and soak u for every dime u ever made.

Segways have never caused a fire that I heard of but my local bus system just banned segways and onewheels on the damn buses... and I am the only one that was taking the bus for several years with the segway mini to work on the bus...it had to be Karen bus drivers that complained!!! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MetricUSA said:

Segways have never caused a fire that I heard of but my local bus system just banned segways and onewheels on the damn buses... and I am the only one that was taking the bus for several years with the segway mini to work on the bus...it had to be Karen bus drivers that complained!!! 

well:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/5427298417368077/

Put a sticker on it saying something in lines - Not a PEV. 

If they have a problem with you bringing the thing on the buss - point them to the sticker and ignore them. :D 

More in your favor if you make it look like a small horse. And have cowboy boots/hat. Only thing you respond to them:

Howdy Partner - YouTube