the end is near

novazeus

And again...

Emphasis seems to be on not using 'illegal batteries' but nobody ever specifies what a legal battery is ! Would our typical kinds of batteries be legal or not ? Even if the cells themselves were certified who is checking how these things are built and assembled into packs, which can make all the difference between them being dangerous or not ?

Also very surprised to see these guys dumping water on a lithium fire in the first instance. Isn't that as good as useless unless you can completely submerge the device and keep it that way? I wonder why they didn't use the special foam... I would have thought the single most useful thing they could do is have one or more fire trucks in every precinct / district specially equipped for lithium fires...

If there is one silver lining to all this it is surely that will only increase the drive and budget being put into the next battery tech, but like so many things in life, this is gonna get a lot worse before it gets better...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

nobody ever specifies what a legal battery is

2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

I wonder why they didn't use the special foam...

Enable subtitles and watch the video again. 

The background noise makes it difficult to hear the explanations clearly.

kinda odd the front tire didn't burn up. (yeah, yeah, it's a prop and the mayor sort of might have said that, and it's there to highlight a point and all that, but especially since the fire is still burning—they already have determined the cause? I guess "hats off to FDNY" for the exceptionally rapid investigation)

I'm not saying the bike didn't start the fire cuz I have no idea. I just distrust the bandwagon in general.

Never mind, old coot spouting off without any real facts at all, my sincere apologies to the Mayor, Commish and FDNY. There's video showing a fire starting in what looks like a scooter.

Next time, I'll 🤐

Edited by Tawpie

29 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

since the fire is still burning—they already have determined the cause?

Perhaps there might be eyewitness testimony of the ebike starting the fire.

Security cam footage featured in the news report might be from the supermarket rear itself.

Let's look it from the other side: if PEVs are being restricted due to fire danger (which is undeniably present) the manufacturers will be strongly motivated to improve their safety.

As an end result we'll have safer wheels ssb or not.

• Like 1

NYC Council moves to take on lithium-ion battery fires

1.1K views 

March 7, 2023

FOX 5 New York

The New York City Council has passed a flurry of legislation, aimed at cracking down on refurbished and cheaply made lithium-ion batteries after a string of recent fires sparked by the batteries that officials say has become a "full-blown crisis."

• Like 1

Lithium-ion batteries still burning days after start of fire in Lancaster County

59.5K subscribers
Mar 7, 2023

Lithium-ion batteries were still burning on Monday in Lancaster County, three days after the start of a fire.

NYC has a lot of wood construction: the '5 story walkups" you see only have fireproof exteriors. The floors and roofs are wood-based construction.  Modern buildings now use concrete and steel.  The main reason NYC has external fire escapes are due to the internal construction being quite flamable.

A Tesla caught fire in my suburban neighborhood, just off the freeway. The Town Fire Department has to tow the flaming mess away and dropped it into a dumpster for immersion.  Traffic nightmare for hours.

The NYC external fire escapes might not be well maintained.

Corroded bolts, weak anchoring to walls, steel that weakens from the heat of fire, built many decades ago.

People have been killed falling off badly maintained fire escapes, others have been killed by parts breaking off and falling down.

Heritage overlays, exemptions to updated building codes for buildings below five levels.

2 hours ago, Paul A said:

Watch the moment a lithium battery erupts into ball of fire in West Yorkshire home.

Well that is not what we normally see from our pack fires - that wasn't one cell doing a thermal runaway with neighbouring cells - that was a full on explosion that sounded like all cells going at once. What the hell was that pack doing to make it behave like that ?! 

24 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Well that is not what we normally see from our pack fires - that wasn't one cell doing a thermal runaway with neighbouring cells - that was a full on explosion that sounded like all cells going at once. What the hell was that pack doing to make it behave like that ?! 

You can't see the actual device, but I'd guess that it had been emitting the cloud of vapor (cell pressure relief) you see pre-ignition in other videos. When the cloud ignited, you basically have a fuel-air bomb and it all goes very quickly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

What the hell was that pack doing to make it behave like that ?

Here's the story as reported in the BBC.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-64881631

1 day ago

BBC News

Halifax lithium battery house fire footage prompts warning

Alarming footage showing the moment a lithium battery exploded, sparking a house fire in West Yorkshire has been released to highlight their dangers.

The video shows a homeowner in Halifax rushing downstairs after being woken by the sound of a re-charging battery popping before it explodes into flames.

Five people were taken to hospital after the incident on 24 February.

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service (WYFRS) has warned people not to leave lithium batteries charging unattended.

Watch manager John Cavalier said: "While fires involving lithium batteries are common, having a video showing the violence of the fire's development is not.

"It's clear to see in the video that the fire is absolutely horrifying. None of us would want this to happen in our homes."

The fire started at about 01:00 GMT after the batteries of an electric motorbike were left on charge inside the house, according to WYFRS.

Mr Cavalier said the "popping" sound indicated the batteries were failing due to "thermal runaway", which occurs when too much heat is generated within a battery.

Within seconds it exploded and a blaze erupted, setting off the smoke alarm.

'Fires so ferocious'

All five people involved suffered smoke inhalation, with one person suffering burns to their mouth and windpipe, however none of the injuries were life-threatening, the fire service said.

The kitchen was left severely damaged from the smoke and heat.

Mr Cavalier said firefighters "frequently" attended fires involving lithium batteries, which could be found in many items.

"Any other type of fire we deal with has usually developed slowly and people are able to get out quickly.

"However, battery fires are so ferocious and spread so quickly that there isn't as much time to escape," he said.

"To help keep everyone in your family safe, don't leave lithium batteries to charge unattended, don't put them in the way of exits or in hallways and unplug chargers when the batteries are at full capacity."

He thanked the homeowner for allowing the fire service to release the video for educational purposes and added it "could help to save lives".

Lithium Battery sparks fire on a plane headed for Florida: Here's how to protect yourself

x1o9ZM49DAkMIBSItGSjDs3-ECEPOO4hjO91AUlJ
Mar 3, 2023

A Spirit Airlines flight headed for Orlando had to make an emergency stop in Jacksonville because of a fire on board.
Fire Rescue officials say it was lithium-Ion batteries that started the flames.

Anyone remember the hoverboard fires years ago? Grade C- chinese cell battery packs some even without bms' being shipped world wide in cheap hoverboards.  They were almost insta banned world wide when the fires started popping up.  And nobody wanted this 'cheap toy time bomb' in their house.

Good thing the ebike industry and utility is as big as it is now. It's going to be impossible to blanket ban these devices, but have resellers and shops only sell 'certified' devices and batteries.  (Like the recent NYC ruling)

1 hour ago, Murdomeek said:

Anyone remember the hoverboard fires years ago? Grade C- chinese cell battery packs some even without bms' being shipped world wide in cheap hoverboards. 

Oh yes, I saw a kid on one the other day as I passed him on my Master - he wanted to do a race, bless him, but I pointed out that wouldn't be fair, and to make the point covered the 600 yards remaining on the cycle path in about 5 seconds leaving him and his mates' jaws on the floor. It was a pyrrhic victory, but we take them where we can ! ;)

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Oh yes, I saw a kid on one the other day as I passed him on my Master - he wanted to do a race, bless him but I pointed out that wouldn't be fair, and to make the point covered the 600 yards remaining on the cycle path in about 5 seconds. It was a pyrrhic victory, but we take them where we can ! ;)

I do hope you ended your encounter with the power ranger pose

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Paul A said:

The fire started at about 01:00 GMT after the batteries of an electric motorbike were left on charge inside the house, according to WYFRS.

Mr Cavalier said the "popping" sound indicated the batteries were failing due to "thermal runaway", which occurs when too much heat is generated within a battery.

Within seconds it exploded and a blaze erupted, setting off the smoke alarm.

This is shit information ! Far too alarmist and general. I wonder if there are fireman forums where this is properly discussed, and people can try and find out why this fire happened.

Was the user trying to fire 20 amps up its arse ? Was it a reconditioned battery pack, was it previously balanced, had the machine been in crash, or exposed to water, what cells were they, what was the configuration of them, and how old were they etc etc. Very difficult to learn from any of these fires without that sort of information - TBH I suspect the fire brigade is not asking these questions, and if they are, they don't seem to be publishing the answers anywhere public !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 1